Thread: It's raining bodies and death!

Default It's raining bodies and death!

I had to share this with the ORG community as soon as I saw it. This is certainly a bug, but a ridiculously funny bug nonetheless. It occured on an inward corner wall as you will see below. I have only had this happen to me this once.

As my fine cohorts fought the ranks of power peasants, the enemy began to just... fall. And fall. And fall. Most of the losses are from them walking off the wall. Look closely at the enemy's side of the wall.

Here is a closeup:

As you can see, the bodies really began to pile up:

And pile up:

This is the aftermath. As you can see, most of the dead is below. I lost a few men to the bug, but the comp suffered far more.

What say you, lads?
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Default Re: It's raining bodies and death!

Not necessarily a bug IMO.

After all, it appears that the enemy peasants are routing, and it's not unreasonable to imagine a stampede where people get pushed off the wall by other people pushing and shoving from behind to get out of the way of Roman swords.

In fact if you read a bit of history, you'll find that the Romans often won their battles against barbarians because large numbers of them would attack at once and then find themselves packed so tightly together that they could not even wield their weapons or move their arms and thus be helpless to defend themselves. A similar thing happened at Agincourt - the attacking French become so compressed as they attacked into the narrow battlefield "funnel" that many of them lost their footing and were trampled and drowned in the mud by their own comrades or killed by the English archers where they lay.

I dont think it is a bug i haver had this many a time before. I think its quite realistic because if they were all trying to get of at the dsame time some of them would fall of. Also try breaking a pecie of wall with an Oneger wist a unit is still on it. When the wall colapses they all fall of.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

That is definetly a bug. I had the same problem once when i was defending a city against the scipii. My legionaires were not able to cross a inward corner of the wall without an enemy on the other side. I lost half of a cohort before i stopped them.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

it's not a bug, it's a feature, and a good one.

We do not sow.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

It's hilarious when that happens. Usually though, i don't get a chance to fight on corners, and have a tower just nearby. After all, having a large crowd of hundreds try to go through that small door all at once would lead to some accidents....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Default Sv: It's raining bodies and death!

I was defending my settlement, an placed my legionares niceley side by side.

But once i pressed the "start battle" button, 5-10 soldiers of every unit fell backwards, of the walls and died.

That is certainly a bug!
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default Re: Sv: It's raining bodies and death!

well that's a bug, but not when they are fighting or running on the walls and they fall off because their is no space for them

We do not sow.

Default Re: Sv: It's raining bodies and death!

Even when this does happen you have got to admit it is halarious........

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Default Sv: It's raining bodies and death!

Yeah, it is fun though!
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Let me clarify why this is a bug.

The enemy does not route on the wall. They stop where they are and "fight to the death".

No, they were WALKING TOWARDS my guys and simply falling off the wall when they got there! The ones falling off were the ones not "f-t-t-d"ing. This was going on for a while before a snapped the first screenie.

Now I agree that when a guy or two falls off during a fight it is a FEATURE. But in this case, they were pouring off. Take a look at the pictures again. This was ongoing for several minutes! Literally pouring off the wall non-stop!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

it happens sometimes, when someone is routing, that this people fall off the wall and i think that this of course must be a feature. but also a couple of times it happened to me, that my archers last line, which were definitely not fighting, just standing there and ready to shoot at the enemy, fell off the wall as soon as i started the battle. there was no problem while i deployed them, but they all fell just as i klicked on start. well its not quiet the same as mentioned above but its a mass suicide and and definitely a bug.
    but anyway it doesnt bother me. i started playing medieval again. i think its much more fun....

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Post Re: It's raining bodies and death!

These being power-peasants, my guess is that this is a by-product of the "horde" formation type. 120 peasants (default size) in a horde have a large "radius", so it doesn't surprise me that they fall off.

Nice screenies
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Or if it only happens in wall corners, that would indicate its a bug too, something like the pathfinding bug in the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    These being power-peasants, my guess is that this is a by-product of the "horde" formation type. 120 peasants (default size) in a horde have a large "radius", so it doesn't surprise me that they fall off.
    120 peasants is large unit size. The default unit size setting is surprisingly "normal" and this is 60 peasants or thereabouts...

I don't know about this, but if you have a unit move through another on the wall, do the units moving through the other unit push the soldiers from the other unit off the wall, too?

Quote Originally Posted by cunctator
    That is definetly a bug. I had the same problem once when i was defending a city against the scipii. My legionaires were not able to cross a inward corner of the wall without an enemy on the other side. I lost half of a cohort before i stopped them.
    Is everyone blind, or did they all just skip this post?

I, too, have had almost an entire century of legionaries fall to their death on a corner with no enemy present. They simply could not go around that corner without falling. I even experimented, pulling them back and trying again.

Now, I buy the explaination that this is a feature as much as I buy the explaination of the loadgame bug being a feature. No dice...

Quote Originally Posted by Qvintvs
    Is everyone blind, or did they all just skip this post?

I, too, have had almost an entire century of legionaries fall to their death on a corner with no enemy present. They simply could not go around that corner without falling. I even experimented, pulling them back and trying again.

Now, I buy the explaination that this is a feature as much as I buy the explaination of the loadgame bug being a feature. No dice...
    Thank you.

And once again to those not paying attention: UNITS CANNOT ROUTE ON WALLS. They will ONLY fight to the death. Show me a screenie of units routing and running away. IT DOES NOT HAPPEN EVER.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

That is not a bug, the wall bug is when there is one man left in a unit and he is surrounded by enemies. It says he is fighting to the death, but instead he takes a running jump ooff the wall and dies anyway. That is a bit of a bug, but still not totally unlikely.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Even if it isn't a bug, is it really realistic at all? Surely there would be some raised rail on BOTH sides of the wall, not just on the outer side?j

Red face Re: It's raining bodies and !

It's not a bug. It can't be...It's just stupidity. Similar to this are chariots and bridges. I have fought some custom battles using chariots, trying to mow down enemies on a bridge...The chariots try to go in circle...and circle right off the bridge...even charging through enemies on a bridge results in this.

Don't take chariots onto a bridge, especially a general of Egypt or Britain.
    You fat Whinerses! Dirty, thieving Protesterses! You stole my Preciousss!!!

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I doubt they would have a railing, that sort of thing would have come about when human life was valued. That started a whole lot later than RTW...
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans