Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting fit with SwordsMaster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Getting fit with SwordsMaster

I was recovering from a training session a couple of weeks ago and my attention gravitated to the fact that the gym was unusually packed that day. And then I realized that summer was close and everyone rushed to the gym to get that sporty figure and look good in speedos ( ) or the diverse beach complements. Like it is going to happen in 3 weeks....

Anyway, I thought that I might somehow contribute to destroying some myths of fitness and become a myth myself, and maybe help people keep fit all year as opposed to the 3 weeks before summer and decided to post a big compilation of all the information I came across during my training career.

I'll try to update this thread as frequently and regularly as I can and of course I accept suggestions and comments.

Maybe this could be stickied for reference.

Today: Sleep

So what are the symptoms of sleep deprivation?

* Drowsiness
    * Forgetfulness
    * Weight gain
    * Mood shifts ranging from depression to being irritable.
    * Reduced immunity to disease
    * Reduced ability to think logically and analyze new information
    * Reduced vocabulary
    * Reduced motor skills and coordination
    * Decreased reaction time
    * Decreased stamina and energy

- Now add all these up together and now imagine trying to break a plateau -

But what is the worst part about sleep deprivation?

After the first 3-4 hours of sleep your body releases 60-90% of your daily GH (Growth Hormone) amount. So short cutting sleep obviously spells your doom.

Growth Hormone is responsible for the growth of your bones and muscles. It also prepares fat for energy use and spares lean body mass. In regards to muscle growth it causes muscle cells to increase protein synthesis, decrease protein breakdown, increase amino acid uptake in muscular tissue, and divide. Basically it causes growth of muscle and bone tissue.

Is that it? No, decreased levels of GH indicate a drop in your body's ability to metabolize glucose, this means fat is not metabolized at it's peak rate; Your exercise capability is reduced as well as your muscle mass.

Another negative effect of decreased GH levels is a weakened immune system. GH stimulates bone marrow growth which boosts the immune system function. A lack of sleep will slow the growth and repair of this tissue; Studies have also indicated that a lack of sleep will reduce your white blood cell count down a good margin.

Finally sleep deprivation increases levels of cortisol in the body the next day. But what the hell is cortisol? It's the 'Stress Hormone', it's your opponent on the road to increased gains in your physical endeavors. Med definition is - The major adrenal glucocorticoid, stimulates conversion of proteins to carbohydrates, raises blood sugar levels and promotes glycogen storage in the liver. To make it simple for you cortisol causes hyper tension, stress, and synthesizes the amino acids in your muscles to fuel more vital organs (like lungs, heart, brain). In excessive amounts It can cause memory impairments, restrict tissue repair, and increase insulin resistance. It's nasty! Furthermore, elevated cortisol levels have been identified in patients with adrenal tumors. Cancer is not the sex.

More interesting facts I have stumbled upon -

* Athletes who only get 6-7 hours of sleep a night have to work twice as hard to process the same amount of fuel. This means less fat loss and less energy for your workouts.
    * If you're not getting the right amount of sleep your body will be in a catabolic state all day long. How catabolic? Multiply it by two post workout
    * We cannot adapt to less sleep, overtime a 'sleep debt' will start accumulating. Too little sleep will have a direct connection to a loss of intensity in your workouts
    * 6 hours of un-broken sleep is better than getting 8 hours of broken sleep. The reason this is true is because if we cannot sleep without being awoken our bodies do not progress through the 5 cycles of sleep as it should.

There is always something you can be doing better, sleep is an easy one to start with. So how much sleep do you need? On average younger people between the ages of 12-25 need more than adults. We need between 8.5 and 9.25 hours of sleep per night. Harder working athletes will require more than that! It's easy to figure out exactly how much sleep you need. Go to bed, and wake up! Figure out how many hours passed while you were asleep and 'voila', you now know how much sleep you should be getting each night.

(Thanks to Jujimufu at www.trickstutorials.com)

I hope this has been useful.

Last edited by SwordsMaster; 06-03-2005 at 21:40.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

Default Re: Getting fit with SwordsMaster

Neat info! I might have to consider some of it myself
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

Blog Entries

Well, thanks to LAridus bumbing every single post in the Frontroom, Im going to update this soon : NOW .

Today: Breakfast

So, you get a good nights sleep, now what?

Breakfast, right.

Here are some common excuses people give for not eating breakfast, and my reasons for why these excuses are worthless.

1. I don't need it, because I'm not hungry.

Yes you are, you just don't know it! You just slept for god's sake you haven't eating in 8 or more hours! While you're asleep, your body feeds on liver glycogen stores, which is drained by morning. When the body runs lows on glycogen (fuel) the body synthesizes amino acids from your muscles to fuel the brain, nervous system, and other vital organs and tissues. This sends your body into negative nitrogen balance, which is when excreted nitrogen wastes exceed that from consumed nitrogen fuel (protein). Your metabolism has turned catabolic (breakdown of muscle tissue for energy metabolism). This means your metabolism not only slows down greatly, but it's using your own hard earned muscles as fuel. When you start moving your body needs fuel much more in contrast to when you slept because you're moving around and not laying like around like a log! So your metabolism is catabolic and slow when you wake, that explains why sometimes you aren't immediately hungry on rising. You need the food badly, here is a quick analogy for your understanding:

Body's metabolism is slow and catabolic upon rising. Skip breakfast // Stretches the period of catabolism and lose more and more muscle while feeling miserable with a low metabolism.

Body's metabolism is slow and catabolic upon rising. Eat a complete breakfast // Ends catabolism (Breakdown of own muscle tissue for fuel) and starts anabolism (Fueling/Growth/Preservation of muscle tissue). Metabolism takes a huge boost for healthy fat loss and you're energized for the day.

2. I have no time for breakfast.

The very minimum for breakfast can be a ready to drink (RTD) shake such as carnation good start or an instant protein beverage. Fruit is great as well for breakfast. How about a bowl of cereal? You have to be an idiot if it takes more then 1 minute to prepare a bowl (NO COOKING INVOLVED). You can even put cereal in a plastic bag and eat it on the way to work or school if you're in that much of a hurry. Oatmeal? Easy, takes 3 minutes for me to prepare and cook. Not only can breakfast be fast, it's easy and nutritious. Breakfast is also the prime meal for fitting important nutrients into your diet. Many foods eaten at breakfast contain significant amounts of Vitamins C and D, calcium, iron, and fiber. Milk/Grains/Orange juice? It's all healthy! You should make time for breakfast my young apprentice...

3. I'm on a diet, so I skip breakfast.

No wonder you're not losing weight! Read the first reason people give for skipping breakfast and the explanation on why you shouldn't skip breakfast. When you don't eat your body uses muscle as fuel before it uses fat. So you'll be processing muscle for fuel first. Is this a bright idea? No! Because the more muscle you have the more calories you need on a day to day basis. Such as monster body builders, they require ungodly amounts of food to maintain their body mass. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. The more calories you burn, the more calories you can eat. The more calories you can eat, the more food you can eat! Eating a complete breakfast sends your metabolism into a state of anabolism. This means your muscle is preserved and is now fueled to burn off the fat you're trying to rid yourself of. Just by eating breakfast, containing all of the three main components (protein, carbohydrates, and fat) can raise your metabolism 60-100%. So for a quick analogy:

Eat a balanced and filling breakfast > Metabolism soars and sends you in a state of anabolism / Muscles are fuelled so you can kick ass, burn fat and are ready for a brave new day

Don't eat breakfast > Metabolism remains at a crawl and preserves your body weight. This keeps you in a catabolic state induced by sleep / Muscles are not fuelled, you burn more muscle then fat. You lose...

The myth: Exercising before breakfast promotes fat loss >
    The fact: Exercising before breakfast promotes muscle loss >

Reason is simple! Basically when you slept, your body has used all it's fuel (glycogen) and is now catabolizing your muscle as fuel, sending you into negative nitrogen balance. Which means, you're pissing out your muscle! Go for a jog before you eat and you'll be pissing out more muscle cause as you run you're body will be using muscle as fuel!

Other breakfast related things:

Fat loss:

Studies show that eating breakfast regularly significantly lowers your body mass index, which is the ratio of your weight to your height. A lower BMI is an indicator of general good health. Skipping breakfast causes a mid-morning, low-sugar slump, which often results in your grabbing something lie a chocolate bar to eat. But high-sugar, high-fat foods only make you feel even worse then the food you ate, fatigued and hungry for more junk. Start off healthy to avoid the crash, and don't eat junk, it's not right.

Eat for your brain:

It's a known fact that people perform better on memory and attention tests after eating a good breakfast. Your brain relies on glucose for fuel and the typical breakfast is usable energy for the brain as all meals are. So if you're enrolled in school you can make better grades with breakfast. If you have a job, at least you will be sharp enough as to not get caught not working... Generally though, you will gain a mental edge if you fuel in the morning with breakfast.

And lastly a few ideas on food for breakfast:

Good sources of protein and ways to include them into your breakfast :

Your body requires 20 different amino acids and can only make 13 of them on it's own. It must obtain the rest through your diet. Protein sources with the amino acids your body can't produce must be obtained through the foods we eat. If a protein doesn't contain all the essential amino acids it won't be absorbed efficiently. Proteins with the full amino spectrum are called complete proteins.

Complete protein ideas:

* Whole eggs
    * Egg whites
    * Egg beaters
    * Milk
    * Yogurt
    * Protein powders (whey, egg, milk, soy)
    * RTD drinks (Such as carnation good start or met RX instant meal replacement)
    * Tofu
    * Cottage Cheese
    * Meat (such as bacon or sausage, although this is high in saturated fats)
    * Fat free american cheese (like.. scrambled eggs with cheese eh?)

If you combine an incomplete protein and a complete protein, you will still be getting the full amino spectrum. Eating an incomplete protein alone doesn't do much for you, but combining them with a complete will add a lot to your meal.

Incomplete protein ideas to combine with complete proteins:

Grains such as :
    * Barley
    * Oats
    * Rice
    * Pasta
    * Rye
    * Wheat

Legumes such as :
    * Peanuts
    * Soy beans

Nuts/Seeds such as :
    * Sesame seeds
    * Sunflower seeds

You can sprinkle nuts in your cereal or oatmeal for a crunch. Your oatmeal also contains incomplete proteins, cool huh?

Including a protein source will bring you into positive nitrogen balance, increase the metabolism through the digestion of the protein itself, and increase fat mobilization for fuel. Also including protein in an already carbohydrate rich breakfast will slow the release of sugar into the bloodstream, helping to keep your energy levels constant and consistent until your next meal.

Resources :

http://www.fitforsuccess.com.au/breakfast.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/zaino3.htm
    Men's Fitness / May, 2001
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/teen/brent16.htm
    www.trickstutorials.com

Enjoy.

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Good stuff SwordsMaster. Have recently returned to full exercise regime, from my usual occasional activities - yes partially because I'm going to Crete in a few weeks, my heart is in the right place.

I have always eaten a good healthy breakfast because when I was growing up my parents wouldn't have it any other way. They actually claimed that only homosexuals don't eat breakfast..... well they might have done it for the wrong reasons, but it did me good anyway.

I don't think I get enough sleep though. I don't feel tired as result, but in general I only get around 7 1/2 - 8 hours. I didn't realise there were such negative health consequences of this. Will have to improve this.
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Eliminated Faction Heir Member Laridus Konivaich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    Well, thanks to LAridus bumbing every single post in the Frontroom, Im going to update this soon : NOW .
    Not true! I only posted in 65 topics! That's not even the first two whole pages
    Map designer for the Age of Hellas Mod: Age of Hellas Forum

"I vote for closed."
    Two posts later:
    "Argh...I forgot that I actually have to close topics in order for them to close." ~Big King Sanctaphrax link

Blog Entries

I have always eaten a good healthy breakfast because when I was growing up my parents wouldn't have it any other way. They actually claimed that only homosexuals don't eat breakfast..... well they might have done it for the wrong reasons, but it did me good anyway.
    I have to say thats the most curious argument for eating breakfast I've ever heard

I don't think I get enough sleep though. I don't feel tired as result, but in general I only get around 7 1/2 - 8 hours.
    I know, I dont usually get more than that either, but before I started minding it I was getting 6-7 at most. Now that college is over I try to get at least 9 hrs every day (which yesterday meant skipping "The good, the bad and the ugly" )
    But I do feel much better after I incorporated that into my habit.

Anyway, the amount of sleep you get is very personal. You should sleep until you wake up by yourself without the alarm ringing, and that would be the amount of hours your body needs.

Not true! I only posted in 65 topics! That's not even the first two whole pages
    man, youre bored....

Lord of the House Flies Member Al Khalifah's Avatar

Should get more excercise Laridus
    Cowardice is to run from the fear;
    Bravery is not to never feel the fear.
    Bravery is to be terrified as hell;
    But to hold the line anyway.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Interesting stuff. I always thought I needed eight hours of sleep regularly. Even with that in mind I sleep about 7 hours on weekdays (9 to 11 hours in the weekend). Might have to change that, come to think of it.

Tell me, is a sandwich or two of whole grains (brown bread etc) with plant oil-based (as opposed to cream-based) butter and various toppings (cheese, meat, pathé etc) enough for your wholesome breakfast?

~Wiz
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default home training

I'm asking for advice about which trainings i could do at home (without buying equipment) to increase my chest and arm muscles.

We do not sow.

Isänmaantoivo Member Kääpäkorven Konsuli's Avatar

Default Re: home training

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger
    I'm asking for advice about which trainings i could do at home (without buying equipment) to increase my chest and arm muscles.

It is practically impossible to get you muscles bigger without weights, but you can get muscle strength for example doing pushups.
    Bliss is ignorance

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Crunches, methinks. A healthy bout of crunches of a morning.
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

you can get abs by doing situps. well i could buy weights but i dont want to buy any machines, i hate them

We do not sow.

Isänmaantoivo Member Kääpäkorven Konsuli's Avatar

you can get abs by doing situps. well i could buy weights but i dont want to buy any machines, i hate them
    Stay away from machines! Many of them are completely useless. Weights and of course a place to lift them is all I have needed. And if you start exercising, exercise whole body. It would be fun to just train arms, but it has nasty side effects.
    Bliss is ignorance

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Dips work well, if you can find a place to do them. 2 high chairs or a gap between kitchen countertops.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

im not familiar with that term. is that lifting your self up?

We do not sow.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Pushups. If you need more resistance, put on a backpack with books in it.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Like everyone else I would advise you to do push-ups and dips, also there's a lot of different variations you can use to push-ups. For instance there's close grip, wide grip, chinese push-ups etc. In addition you could use the deck of cards routine, basicly turn over a card and do the face value of the cards. Try doing 5 cards between commercials and gradually increase the number of cards as time goes by.

Blog Entries

All the equipment I have at home is a chinup bar. If I can't make it to a gym, I do pushups, pullups, upside down crunches, and a shoulder exercise which is based on rotating your legs over your head while hanging, touching the floor and then rotating back.

Works great. I'd do about 50 pullups and 300 pushups a day. in 5 sets

I just finished putting on muscle for now, problem is I'm about 70 pounds heavier and my cardiovascular ability has gone down the drain. I've started up sprinting and finding it tough going, does anyone have a good progression? I'm not training for any event in particular just trying to get back in shape.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    I just finished putting on muscle for now, problem is I'm about 70 pounds heavier and my cardiovascular ability has gone down the drain. I've started up sprinting and finding it tough going, does anyone have a good progression? I'm not training for any event in particular just trying to get back in shape.
    Actually i would recommend 8x 10 second sprints set, with 20 sec in between sprints. Evolving into 8x20 second, with 10 sec in between.

Blog Entries

Aha! You though the lion was dead because you couldn't hear him roar? (With apologies to Bismark)

I'm back with some more facts, advice, and a cardio program for those of you who want to get in good shape before clogging up your arteries again with Christmas turkey or Halloween pumkin.

Facts:

Building muscle: Tests on rats in the UK have shown that they will grow muscle mass, if that muscle has been under stress for 160 seconds or more in one "session". Therefore, if it takes you 3 seconds to do one rep, and you are doing 4 sets, how many reps should you do in 1 set? I'll leave you to do this one so you develop your numeracity as well as your guns.

Advice:

If you are lifting heavy, do more sets, with less reps and at least 90 sec rest in between.

If you are lifting light, do not do more than, say 15 reps per set, do less sets (2-3) and rest some 30 secs in between sets.

And here is the cardio program:

Warm up with focus on your legs, hamstrings, quads, glutes and calfs are going to suffer. Also if you are prone to shinsplints take extra precaution, stretch.

1.- Cross (Eliptical) trainer:

3 min at 60% pace, 20 % resistance
    3 min at 60% pace 80% resistance
    4 min at 80% pace 20% resistance
    2 min at 60% pace 60% resistance

These are to be done in one go. You can rest between the stations, but not between the "sets".

2.- Rower: 10 minutes

Your aim is to do 2.5 km or 2500m in 10 minutes. If you can't, do 2000m in 8 min the first 3 sessions. If you can't do that either, start with 2000m in 10 min and work up from there.

3.- Threadmill: here is where the pain starts:
    2 min, 1% incline, 7.3mph
    2 min, 4% incline, 7.3 mph
    1 min, 6% incline, 7.3 mph
    1 min, 8% incline, 7 mph
    1 min, 10% incline, 7 mph
    1 min, 8% incline, 7 mph
    1 min, 6% incline, 7 mph
    1 min, 4% incline, 7 mph
    3 min, 2% incline, 6.5 mph

Now, the speeds are orientative, you can adjust depending on your condition, but the inclinations are strict, and if you are not puking by the end of this, you are not pushing yourself hard enough. This is a 13 min run. Don't tell me you can't make time.

4a.- Bike: Personally I prefer 4b, but it's up to you. This makes another 10 min.

90 sec, 95% speed
    90 sec, 40% speed
    60 sec, 95% speed
    60 sec, 40% speed
    30 sec, 95% speed
    30 sec, 40% speed
    4 min 70% speed

4b. - The pain continues. 25m (30 yards?) sprints.Do 6 sprints in 30 seconds. Sprint for 25m, touch the ground, turn, sprint back, touch, turn, etc, 6 times.

Rest 30 sec between sets.

Repeat 6 times.

It takes 6 minutes to get through, and again if there is no blood in your lungs, you ain't trying hard enough.

Well, get fit ladies, what'cha waiting for?

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

The Total War Workout: I have a set of handweights that I keep in the same room as the computer. Whenever I play Total War I usually have several agents moving about the map. Whenever I hit end turn I use the weights while I'm waiting instead of sitting there constantly clicking. It works great. Monday I was a little sore after playing for a while on Sunday.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    The Total War Workout: I have a set of handweights that I keep in the same room as the computer. Whenever I play Total War I usually have several agents moving about the map. Whenever I hit end turn I use the weights while I'm waiting instead of sitting there constantly clicking. It works great. Monday I was a little sore after playing for a while on Sunday.
    Nice one

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I would like to point out DOMS is not necceraly and indacator of a good workout.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Blog Entries

Well, well, and so holidays end.

Time to start a new training season. I have to reconsider my goals this time, as this summer I went from 95kg in April to the current measly 79. I attribute the loss to lack of weightlifting, excess of surfing, and lack of good sleep and good eating over the last couple of months.

But hey, that's what summer is for, right? Now, though, it is the time to take up that responsibility and get ourselves back into shape (so we can do it all over again next summer). So no more steaks with fries and bechamel, witha fried egg on top and some mayo. And we're hitting the gym again.

So I've spent a couple of days thinking about a good workout to put some muscle back on.

I'll show you my plan for the week:

Mon, Wed, Sat:

Warmup: 25 min on the bike (interval setting, resistance between 7-12) and 10 min on the rower (at least 2000m)

Then:
    25 pullups (weighted if possible), usually in 2-3 sets
    50 deadlifts (4-5 sets)
    50 benchpress (5 sets)
    30 squats (usually 50, but since I've spent the first 35 min working out the legs, I can drop the warmup sets)
    50 one arm clean&press (that is 50 with each arm, usually in 5 sets)
    25 pullups (usually at this stage, i drop the weight)

This whole thing takes about 2 hours, if you superset the exercises properly. Since 2 consecutive exercises don't work the same muscles, you can superset the first 3 together, then do squats, and then superset the last 2.

Tues, Thurs:

30 min swimming, usually in 10 min "sprints". I'm a strong swimmer, but can't stick to proper technique for longer...

And I'm picking up some recipes too, but that's material for the next installment. Maybe. If you're good.

In the Soviet army they had a pullup bar at the door of the cantina. So before lunch or dinner they lined up the men, and made them do 10 pullups. Whoever couldn't do them would keep trying until the time for the meal ran out. If they still couldn't do them, they didn't eat.

This is first-hand info by the way, so don't take it as a joke. I'm thinking of putting one up in my kitchen...

Well, i'll let you "digest" this.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster

In the Soviet army they had a pullup bar at the door of the cantina. So before lunch or dinner they lined up the men, and made them do 10 pullups. Whoever couldn't do them would keep trying until the time for the meal ran out. If they still couldn't do them, they didn't eat.

This is first-hand info by the way, so don't take it as a joke. I'm thinking of putting one up in my kitchen...

Well, i'll let you "digest" this.
    Back about fourteen or fifteen years ago, me and my buddy across spent the summer cutting trees on his property and selling the firewood, we did 100 - 200 cords each season. Near where we bucked up the wood there was a tree with a good sized branch coming straight out about seven feet off the ground. A couple of times a week we'd use it for pull ups (just to test each other or people who came by) and anyone who couldn't do ten in a row was deemed "unable to pleasure a woman".

I don't know if that's worse than missing lunch or not.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Urgent advice needed.

I need to start workouts quickly. I feel like a daisylord thinking about things over and over and wasting the rest of my time in front of PC while looking for a job. Therefore I've started to feel even more hopeless, lethargic and stupid.

Terms: I'll not attend gyms. I'll be moving in a near future. I'll purchase one set of tool (such as weight-lifting bar or dumbbells).

Back in the summer days when I was working out, I had dropped by here and asked for suggestions. Still, I want to improve my dorsal and triceps.

I don't have much to spend on the tools so which one would be a wiser choice? A weight-lifting bar or dumbbells ?

If it will be bench press (therefore a weight-lifting bar), how much weight should I start with ? I was able to get 50 reps of 9.5 kgs back with dumbbells when I was training every day (that was my peak before I had to quit).

Regarding my apparent capacity for my current condition, what's your reps and weight suggestion ?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 03-23-2008 at 15:02.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine
    Urgent advice needed.

I need to start workouts quickly. I feel like a douchebaglord thinking about things over and over and wasting the rest of my time in front of PC while looking for a job. Therefore I've started to feel even more hopeless, lethargic and stupid.

Terms: I'll not attend gyms. I'll be moving in a near future. I'll purchase one set of tool (such as weight-lifting bar or dumbbells).

Back in the summer days when I was working out, I had dropped by here and asked for suggestions. Still, I want to improve my dorsal and triceps.

I don't have much to spend on the tools so which one would be a wiser choice? A weight-lifting bar or dumbbells ?

If it will be bench press (therefore a weight-lifting bar), how much weight should I start with ? I was able to get 50 reps of 9.5 kgs back with dumbbells when I was training every day (that was my peak before I had to quit).

Regarding my apparent capacity for my current condition, what's your reps and weight suggestion ?

Thanks in advance.
    If cash is an issue, get a pullup bar and put it somewhere spacious where you can move your legs around without breaking furniture (or toes) If it is a place with a high ceiling so you can have some room above the bar too, then that'd be perfect.

The cheapest workout ever:

Pullups (hands facing in to focus on the biceps, hands facing out to focuson the back) as many as you can. Do it 4 times, and repeat every day.

Pushups. Give me 50. Nonstop. When that is easy, put your fists on the floor. Then start raising your feet. use a chair,whatever.

Situps. Whatever ones you fancy until you can't do anymore.

Squats. If on both legs is easy, try on one. Hold on to the wall for balance.

@Askthepizzaguy. Haha Hey, if niceness doesn't work, fear will!

hi i have a question. im am 15 yrs old and am already got some muscle and quite fit. i want to get more muscle but as i am a teenager i dont want to over-exercise. the reason i dont want to over-exercise is because over-exercise often contributes to pimples and acne and studies have proven this. any advice on how i get quite a bit of muscle without over-excersing. i am currently doing pushups and sit-ups in the morning and night. i do 2-4-6-8-10-8-6-4-2 sets for pushups and sit ups. any advice would be appreciate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by salemty View Post
    hi i have a question. im am 15 yrs old and am already got some muscle and quite fit. i want to get more muscle but as i am a teenager i dont want to over-exercise. the reason i dont want to over-exercise is because over-exercise often contributes to pimples and acne and studies have proven this. any advice on how i get quite a bit of muscle without over-excersing. i am currently doing pushups and sit-ups in the morning and night. i do 2-4-6-8-10-8-6-4-2 sets for pushups and sit ups. any advice would be appreciate
    Man, you'll get pimples no matter what. So stop worrying about it, and do your thing. Any of the workouts recommended above except the heavy lifting will work for you. You can join the marines with 17, so you can easily do 300+ pushups a day with no problems whatsoever.

Also, get a pullup bar, and work up to 20 pullups in 1 set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast