Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking on the Horde - any tips?

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Default Taking on the Horde - any tips?

Its about 1207 in my early english campaign and I have subdued most nations. The Byzants are on their last legs and the only other nation of any size are the Novos, but 1 decisive battle would weaken them. I have the odd revolt to sort out, but I thought it would be interesting to build up to take on the Horde when they arrive. My ideas on strategy is to build up in Kiev - but I will have to take it first! - and fight them there, hopefully over a bridge. I also thought that I might put a light, fast spoiler force out in front to wear them down a bit.I have never faced the Horde before, so I thought that this would be fun, rather than mopping up what is left and winning at 60% - so, any tips???
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Default Re: Taking on the Horde - any tips?

Kiev is the best place to take them on. Use the best spear unit at the mouth of the bridge. The spears work better then polearms for me because you can put the spears on hold position and not worry about them. Polearms (like your billman) will start to fight across the bridge, but one or two units of them would be good incase your spears get into trouble. Then lots of Pavise arbalesters.
    What, you never seen a Polock in Viking Armor on a Camel?

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

You have some ideal options for horde-crushing with your English troops. Billmen will chew up their formidable heavy cav and spit it back out and your longbowmen can assist with the heavies and also keep their horse archers from pincushioning you. As stated, the bridge from Khazar to Kiev is a great place to hold them, but on the open field you can't get any better than a good polearm/ap archer combination, and you've got an excellent one built-in. Have fun, and expect some big battles.

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

"I request permanent reassignment to the Gallic frontier. Nay, I demand reassignment. Perhaps it is improper to say so, but I refuse to fight against the Greeks or Macedonians any more. Give my command to another, for I cannot, I will not, lead an army into battle against a civilized nation so long as the Gauls survive. I am not the young man I once was, but I swear before Jupiter Optimus Maximus that I shall see a world without Gauls before I take my final breath."

Senator Augustus Verginius

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

32+ Longbows and a few Chivalric Sargents and Billmen to hold the bridges. That's a really easy way to kill the Horde.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

That's too easy, in ZXMOD I've had a lot of fun taking on the horde as the russians, who gets nothing better than Rus spears, Boyars and Pavise xbows on high...
    Unless you got serious mercs you'd have to expect a very nasty battle ahead, your spears are quite good to keep the MHC at bay but you lack a real killer unless you are very good at horse archer tactics.
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

Master of Puppets Member bretwalda's Avatar
    Budapest, Hungary, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Little White Marble

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax
    That's too easy, in ZXMOD I've had a lot of fun taking on the horde as the russians, who gets nothing better than Rus spears, Boyars and Pavise xbows on high...
    Unless you got serious mercs you'd have to expect a very nasty battle ahead, your spears are quite good to keep the MHC at bay but you lack a real killer unless you are very good at horse archer tactics.
    How about vanilla VI as Byz nothing better than spearmen...? ;)
    This space is for sale. Anybody wanting to advertise little blue pills, pumping body parts or financial services that cost you a fortune may do it here for a small fee instead of packing my mailbox. Thank you.
    ----------------------------------
    Awright, here is the all_can_crusade_mod. This is v2.
    Magyarország

Quote Originally Posted by bretwalda
    How about vanilla VI as Byz nothing better than spearmen...? ;)
    That's a self-imposed restriction, Byz have Katanks to counter MHC plus in vanilla VI you can use pav harbalesters in high...

On Byz VS the Horde I usually bring around 2-3000 katanks supported by Pronoiai, Byz cav, Trebizond Archers and Byz inf, defending Kazhar of course

You should also be able to train SHC in the steppes IIRC, all in all the Byz can develop an army similar to GH without too many problems.
    The best is yet to come.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Thanks for the tips so far. It's 1208 and I have just raised a crusade to take Kiev. I plan to link up with my forces in Northern Europe, drive across to kiev with the Novos in front of me - then we see what happens.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

You probably know this but if you want a real challenge stack Khazar with loads of rubbish troops just before the horde arrives. Their numbers are related to the numbers of troops in the province when they come....

Trust me, you DO want to do this. You want to come back and tell us you killed a 40,000 superhorde, not 20 mangonels, don't you...?
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Try piling up 8-10k troops in Khazar and you'll face the longest battle ever possible in MTW... beware that it can be a very tiring experience!
    The best is yet to come.

Wow, that sounds like that would be extremely fun 40,000 vs. 40 or so thousand troops... well since I'm moping up the Egyptians now in my English campaign and they're the last ones to stand against me I'm gonna load up Khazar for this uber-uber-fight. Shoot my biggest fight was 1,200 of my men defending against 3,100 Egyptians and that took about 1 1/2 hours so I can't imagine 40,000... oooh, just gives me goosebumps.

Uhm, also when should I expect the Horde year-wise, I'm in the High era now but I can't really develop up Khazar cause I'm fighting wars with Egypt and Hungary and spending much money supporting those efforts.
    "The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

-- Genghis Khan

The Horde comes in 1230, it's better to leave khazar undeveloped as GH will get any improvement you built there, making the battle even more challenging...
    The best is yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by DensterNY
    Wow, that sounds like that would be extremely fun 40,000 vs. 40 or so thousand troops... well since I'm moping up the Egyptians now in my English campaign and they're the last ones to stand against me I'm gonna load up Khazar for this uber-uber-fight. Shoot my biggest fight was 1,200 of my men defending against 3,100 Egyptians and that took about 1 1/2 hours so I can't imagine 40,000... oooh, just gives me goosebumps.

Uhm, also when should I expect the Horde year-wise, I'm in the High era now but I can't really develop up Khazar cause I'm fighting wars with Egypt and Hungary and spending much money supporting those efforts.
    Lurking forward to your battle, please keep us posted . Try if you can
    to build up Khazar, it would be really interesting .
    PB-PL Commander/CC2 Commander/MTW Commander

Thanks for the heads up... now I have about 20 years of preparation for the Horde invasion and to mop up the Egyptians and Hungarians so that's plenty of time. By then I should have Khazar built up to a Citadel but I really don't have enough time to build other improvements so should I leave it at castle and build a swordsmith and spearguild so that the Horde will have better troops?

Most of my armies are hardcore veterans so this upcoming fight should be real interesting and especially so as I send my 8 star general to lead the defense. I figure without having to keep defensive armies around Hungary and after my war with Egypt I should have at least 5000 high quality fighting troops to send to Khazar... perhaps spam out another 3000 peasants and then see what happens. Wow, with these numbers I'm definitely gonna save this battle and leave it for those rainy boring Sunday afternoons when I have nothing to do.

Oh, one thing that I've noticed though is that everyone who has fought the Horde pretty much have it as a given that you will lose Khazar... very interesting. I guess after I meet them I will understand why. I'll try and get some screen shots too.
    "The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

-- Genghis Khan

The only improvements that will affect the horde are master horse breeder and armourer, though i warmly suggest you to avoid those as the horde in an open field is much more dangerous than in a bridge battle: MHA will rain death from above, while MHC is well able to wipeout anything below chiv knights, so it's better to be careful...
    The best is yet to come.

Just to be clear:

MHC: Charge 6, Att 3, Def 6, Armour 7, Morale 6

Chiv Knight: Charge 8, Att 5, Def 5, Armour 7, Morale 8

Feudal Knight: Charge 8, Att 4, Def 3, Armour 4, Morale 8
    The best is yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kurt
    Its about 1207 in my early english campaign and I have subdued most nations. The Byzants are on their last legs and the only other nation of any size are the Novos, but 1 decisive battle would weaken them. I have the odd revolt to sort out, but I thought it would be interesting to build up to take on the Horde when they arrive. My ideas on strategy is to build up in Kiev - but I will have to take it first! - and fight them there, hopefully over a bridge. I also thought that I might put a light, fast spoiler force out in front to wear them down a bit.I have never faced the Horde before, so I thought that this would be fun, rather than mopping up what is left and winning at 60% - so, any tips???
    Chances are you have already fought the horde but let me add this.

I would say fight them head on and don't autocalc. If you have Limited Ammo checked off. A BIG PLUS, Just rout their front line and arrow the rest to death.

All you really have to realise is that if you slaughter the first 16 units, the match is really yours. Just make sure you have some Reinforcements and withdraw smaller units that have suffered great losses.

ALSO, THIS IS GOSPIL SO PAY ATTENTION. Big battles like this, NEVER EVER EVER use your general to fight. If you lose your general early, good bye. Sure, he may be an Uber Badass but even heros die when outnumbered 100 to 1. Its too important stat and moral wise to have him stay and not run off like a little sissy redheaded step child. Just make sure you don't do this often or else he might get a bad vice, maybe let him fight after the first wave - FOR A MINUTE. But never the first wave.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.

gulp.... uhm, point taken Zarax. I don't think I'll be handing them any advantages then and now that I see the kind of troops they have I realize I'm gonna get my butt kicked in Khazar... I'll probably whittle them down as I have an empire geared for war production but its not gonna be pretty.

-- Genghis Khan

Take them out in Kiev, it's the most effective solution...
    Horde fighting is fun but you have to be prepared, best challenge in vanilla VI is to face them as the russians: little time to gear up and almost no heavy troops...
    The best is yet to come.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

oops. It's 1207 and I'm playing Turks. My first game in more than a year for sure. I forgot all about the horde. LOL ! this is going to be fun.

If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Ouch... Good luck!
    The best is yet to come.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

23 years. I could churn out about 4-5 stacks of Saracen Infantry plus Crossbows. I have 7-8 full stacks of 100% cavalry armies but that's useless against the Horde. I do have at least 8 generals, probably 12, ranked 5 to 7 stars.
    Last edited by Shahed; 09-14-2005 at 21:50.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Well, kwarziam cav is pretty much on par with MHC, also high valour AHC can hold up their own as long as you keep them out from arrows...
    The best is yet to come.

Try stacking 40K peasants in each and every one of the Horde Emergence provences along with master horse breeders and gold level armourers. Then you'll have a fight on your hands. See if you can make the Horde make it to Spain on those troops.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Budwise
    ALSO, THIS IS GOSPIL SO PAY ATTENTION. Big battles like this, NEVER EVER EVER use your general to fight. If you lose your general early, good bye. Sure, he may be an Uber Badass but even heros die when outnumbered 100 to 1. Its too important stat and moral wise to have him stay and not run off like a little sissy redheaded step child. Just make sure you don't do this often or else he might get a bad vice, maybe let him fight after the first wave - FOR A MINUTE. But never the first wave.
    I dunno I've had some big battles where I had to commit my general or lose. Sometimes the melee is that close. Experience has taught me to always hold off committing him, though.

DA

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax
    Try piling up 8-10k troops in Khazar and you'll face the longest battle ever possible in MTW... beware that it can be a very tiring experience!
    Agree completely. My longest battle was as the Poles defending the bridge to Kiev against the Horde. It was about midnight and I compulsively decided to hit the end turn button one more time before going to bed. About four and a half hours later it was finally over and I was completely spent. Classes the next morning were not as fun as usual!

Very tiring and also very repetitive. It didn't really get dull because I was always on the edge. I hadn't really prepared for a horde assault though I did have a very large army. I soon ran out of arrows and good infantry and was left with mostly medium cavalry. After awhile I started wondering if the new waves of enemy troops on the horizon would ever stop coming!

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Del Arroyo
    I dunno I've had some big battles where I had to commit my general or lose. Sometimes the melee is that close. Experience has taught me to always hold off committing him, though.

DA
    It's also been my experience that if you never commit your general, he might get a coward trait in rare instances. It doesn't matter much with a 9 star except against another 9 star, but it's really annoying to see a coward trait on him.

He's usually good for hunting down routers to smashing into the rear or tthe engaged enemy general Maximus-like(Gladiator's Germania battle).

If you like to be risky, once your general is reduced to one man, you could try and see how much valour you can pile on the bastard.

well youe couls use your general and if he gets reduced to a small number of men withdraw him from the field then your troops still retain the bonus' from his stars.

if he dies they lose this and would probably result in an instant rout. 8* would give them +4 marale which they would lose the instant he dies
    "Forgiveness is between them and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"

Master of Puppets Member bretwalda's Avatar
    Budapest, Hungary, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Little White Marble

Quote Originally Posted by crpcarrot
    well youe couls use your general and if he gets reduced to a small number of men withdraw him from the field then your troops still retain the bonus' from his stars.

if he dies they lose this and would probably result in an instant rout. 8* would give them +4 marale which they would lose the instant he dies
    Are you sure about this? I don't think this is very good this way... You just withdraw your general not losing anything that his unit and putting him into the safe tresor.

That would explain why enemy general sometimes charges home the instant the battle starts... Especialy small, vulnerable general units like horse archers, UM, etc. Crap.
    This space is for sale. Anybody wanting to advertise little blue pills, pumping body parts or financial services that cost you a fortune may do it here for a small fee instead of packing my mailbox. Thank you.
    ----------------------------------
    Awright, here is the all_can_crusade_mod. This is v2.
    Magyarország

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast