Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

Default Re: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

Perhaps you have a PCI-E graphics card?

I have a radeon x1200, not sure but I thought ATI were AGP, I have vista maybe thats why. Do you know of any other way to disable it?

Quote Originally Posted by Romf
    I have a radeon x1200, not sure but I thought ATI were AGP, I have vista maybe thats why. Do you know of any other way to disable it?
    ATI are both AGP and PCI-E, Nvidia are both AGP and PCI-E. In short a graphics card can be either PCI-E or AGP though new cards are mostly PCI-E as that is the newer technology. In your case this is a notebook graphics chip and I believe it is PCI-E. The fix for your problem will probably be older drivers. You can try an older 5.x series driver.

I can't find any 5.x drivers, the oldest one I found was 7.1 do you know if that would work too?

Your card will probably not be supported by any v5.x drivers and v6.x and v7.x will cause the same problems. I doubt there are any older Vista drivers for you to try, at least none that will make a difference anyway. You can try the oldest version you can get away with and hope for the best but all in all it seems unlikely to make much difference.

Hey there, I need help.

I have just got the Gold Edition as my original copy of Medieval snapped when I decided to reinstall it

Anyway, I have been having problems trying to play it, it installs ok then it says it has a debugger problem after the Total War intro. I have upgraded DivX, patched it to 2.1, added the "skipcredits.txt" file and deactivated Niro and none of these work for me

If anyone can help I would be grateful.

Welcome demonelite,

Got to the first page on this thread and read post #32.

Unhappy Re: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

hi friends,
    i recently bought medieval total war gold edition viking invasion and shogun total war gold edition the strange thing is that whenever i tsart loading a new campgain and i pick my clan then press start campgain it goes to the loading screen and what happens then is that i get a error message saying that mtw or stw has stopped working any help would be nice thank you

specs

amd dual core 4000+
    ati radeon 1250

Quote Originally Posted by ehsan123
    hi friends,
    i recently bought medieval total war gold edition viking invasion and shogun total war gold edition the strange thing is that whenever i tsart loading a new campgain and i pick my clan then press start campgain it goes to the loading screen and what happens then is that i get a error message saying that mtw or stw has stopped working any help would be nice thank you

specs

amd dual core 4000+
    ati radeon 1250
    i have vista basic

Post Re: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

Welcome to the .Org ehsan123
    Sadly you have the deadly combination - Windows Vista with an ATi Video Card.

Normally problems with ATi video cards can be resolved by installing old (around about 2003/4) drivers. Sadly these drivers have the snag of not providing support for Vista - only XP and previous OSes.

The best option is to try the oldest drivers you can grab. In your case it's Catalyst 7.1. You can find it here (for Windows Vista 32-bit) or here (Windows Vista 64-bit). If in doubt of your OS version, the chances are that you are using the 32-bit edition.

Sadly I don't put much hope in these drivers - they were released in January 2007 which is long after the time ATi stopped producing M:TW compatable drivers.

Good luck
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Omanes is correct, the 7.1 drivers will probably be of no use.

Thumbs up Re: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

hmmm me too i think they will be no use too what about anti-aliasing shall iu change that or you guys got anymore ideas thanks for everything so far

hmmm me too i think they will be no use too what about anti-aliasing shall iu change that or you guys got anymore ideas thanks for everything so far
    The anti aliasing fix has only been of use where nvidia cards are concerned. For ATI it has always been older drivers that have helped. Some other useful general fixes have been to set the campaign map and battle map resolution both to the same as the desktop resolution or try 800*600 mode.

finally good news guy i have manage to fix shogun total war not medieval total war alll i did was i went to the video option and change the mode to software mode and to my compatble resolution it is working great now but i still need help with mtw thanks for your help so far.

finally good news guy i have manage to fix shogun total war not medieval total war alll i did was i went to the video option and change the mode to software mode and to my compatble resolution it is working great now but i still need help with mtw thanks for your help so far.
    STW has software rendering?! Does it?

I'd totally forgotten that... unfortunately MTW doesn't. Software rendering is going to chug a bit though, but I suppose at least it works.

Smile Re: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

yes u r corect bt it is working good can u help with mtw please i would be ever so greatful thanks for help so far maybe i should fix poeple's problems here im good at that

hi bro i just wanted to say that ifu can send me a saved campgian file it might work bro that would be good if urs work then please start a new campgian and be the almohads or the egypations and can u send me the svaed game file so i can put on my pc and try bro thanks

I'm afraid that won't help you. The reason that STW is working for you and MTW is not is because you are using software rendering in STW and hardware rendering in MTW. The hardware rendering uses your graphics card and Direct3D and due to incompatibilities crashes to the desktop. Software mode does not use your graphics card's 3D abilities and does not use Direct3D and so avoids the problem, and works.

Like yourself I am also in a position where I can't run MTW at all due to a different kind of driver problem.

im never going to buy total war games anynore i will rather buy microsoft game which have more chance of working infact all microsoft games work on vista

You're reversing the issue. The problem isn't all games except Microsoft ones, the problem is Vista and newer graphics card drivers in general not running older games. For ATI cards the simple answer has always been to go back to older drivers, sadly for yourself this is not an option as with Vista and that new card there are no older drivers to go back to.

Just thought I'd drop off my computer info to see if anyone can help me out regarding CTDs when I play the Pike & Musket mod. I start off good, but several turns in it suddenly and for not reason crashes to the desktop even after I've played out a few battles.

System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 2/9/2008, 08:56:36

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071009-1548)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gateway
    System Model: GT5620
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 2038MB RAM
    Page File: 766MB used, 3526MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

A crash that occurs only in a modded game and not in the vanilla game is related to the mod itself and not to your system or the game engine in general.

If the crash occurs in the vanilla game also, when exactly does the crash occur? With integrated Intel graphics and Windows Vista, your driver downgrade options are nil, also there is probably not much you can adjust settings-wise that will make much difference. Just ensure that battle, campaign map and desktop resolutions are the same and test the vanilla game thoroughly.

I solved the problem, actually. You have to set all the resolutions the same (1024 x 768; 16 bit). This includes the monitor resolution. I also set the compatibility to Windows 2000, but you may not need to do that, I'm just afraid to reset it back to Vista.

After a year not playing MTW I reinstalled it. With 3 copies (Samurai, NTW and unmodded) everything went fine, except occasionally a CTD until I copy-pasted a 4th one for XL. Suddenly none of them worked, didn't even start (aborted without showing the main menu). I tried 2xAA, different resolutions, didn't help.

Until I downloaded a new driver I read about somewhere in this thread: 163.75 for my NVidia 6600 GT. Now I'm happily playing again.

Settings now:
    NVidia Driver: 163.75
    2xAA (was default, but maybe it copied my settings from the old driver)
    desktop 1280 x 1024 32 bits
    campaign 1024 x 768(?)
    battle 1280 x 1024
    scipcredits.txt in MTW folder

One minor prob: the battles are a tiny bit choppy. It doesn't run so smooth anymore as if it's a bit heavy on my system (though I never had that before)

I'm going to try everything 1280 x 1024.

Thanks to all you helping us out.

hman

I thought I had this licked, but alas, no. I still have a problem with CTDs. I'm pretty sure it's a graphics problem. Here are my computer specs and the error message I'm getting.

Computer, Gateway - Windows Vista 32 bit Home Basic. My graphics card is an Intel (R) 832945G Express Chipset Family.

The problem: When playing "Medieval Total War," after a few turns I get an error message,

"DDERR_OUTOFMEMORY (8876010C)."

Details:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Medieval_TW.EXE
    Application Version: 1.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 3f6824c2
    Fault Module Name: Medieval_TW.EXE
    Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 3f6824c2
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000061a6
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 8ba5
    Additional Information 2: 82df8a05a77c476e7f37bb8e81e9263d
    Additional Information 3: 9e6e
    Additional Information 4: 12db7e09602f8aaeb02b60a26406acb2

Is this a DirectX 10 problem? Has anyone experienced this before? Does anyone know how it can be resolved?

Rick

hi, i'm having this problem everytime i turn on the campgain mode it starts loading the campgain and then stops running.

Errors for session started: Tue Jan 15 19:36:20 2008

E:\Mtw_atvi\main3d_1.cpp(2713) : DirectX call : E_NOTIMPL (UNSUPPORTED)

This points to a driver problem. Are you still trying to run the game on the same system? If so then you are still out of luck with Vista and the Radeon Xpress 1250. There are no older drivers and the only things you can try are those already suggested (screen resolutions).

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Hmmm I have a problem with MTW now. It was running fine up until this morning, when I decided to format my hard drive because of a problem with svchost.

Long story short, I got exactly the same updates and drivers on my system as previously except for the network drivers, but MTW won't run properly anymore. I get to the strat map, but if I exit the strat map and then try to go back to it, it loads and then immediately crashes.

My error.txt has this to say:
    Code:
    Errors for session started: Fri Feb 22 23:52:49 2008

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\main3d_1.cpp(1864) : DirectX call : DDERR_SURFACELOST
    My up to date crash.txt has this:
    Code:
    Medieval_TW.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module Medieval_TW.exe at 001B:00705B8D
    EAX=03DC72C8  EBX=03DC4AEC  ECX=0000736E  EDX=0000004A  ESI=03DC79F0
    EDI=041B0298  EBP=00000000  ESP=0013C7A0  EIP=00705B8D  FLG=00010202
    CS=001B   DS=0023  SS=0023  ES=0023   FS=003B  GS=0000
    (null)
    Oddly enough I had 2 more crashes between the timestamp of the error.txt and the time of posting (crash.txt is fine). Oh, and my MTW is installed on D:\ not C:\, so I don't know what the log is on about.

Any pointers?
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 02-23-2008 at 01:25.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

hi,
    i have bought medieval 2 total war and finally something of there's works anyways i think now i might be able to fix older problems i will keep u guys updated with solutions i find.

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    I get to the strat map, but if I exit the strat map and then try to go back to it, it loads and then immediately crashes.

Code:
    Errors for session started: Fri Feb 22 23:52:49 2008

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\main3d_1.cpp(1864) :
    You don't need to be too concerned about this part, the path points to the developers' source code file (.cpp file).

Code:
    DirectX call : DDERR_SURFACELOST
    This part is a DirectDraw error that indicates that you might have alt tabbed to the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    Oddly enough I had 2 more crashes between the timestamp of the error.txt and the time of posting (crash.txt is fine). Oh, and my MTW is installed on D:\ not C:\, so I don't know what the log is on about.

Any pointers?
    When does the crash occur, exactly? When you say that it's when you exit the strategy map and go back again, do you mean alt tabbing? Or are you referring to when you go to a battle and then try to return to the map after the battle has ended?

What are your systems specs, in particular which graphics card do you have and which OS? Are you running the battles and strategy map in the same resolution?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast