Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Age of Darkness [Concluded]

Default The Age of Darkness [Concluded]

In the quiet town of Shrewsbury, the peaceful inhabitants go about their daily work blissfully unaware of what was about to strike their town...

Welcome to The Age of Darkness, a mafia game based on the Middle Ages.

Roles (15! or even 17!!):

Pro town:
    Nobles (2)
    Soldiers (4)
    Brother Cadfael (1)
    Monk (2)

Pro mafia:
    Team 1:
    Ruffians (3)
    Team 2:
    Assasins (3)

Optional roles (if there are enough players)
    Pro mafia:
    Thief (1)
    Pro town:
    Thief catcher (1)

Ruffians and Assasins

Recently, mobs have ruled the streets of Shrewsbury at night. In particular, two groups have immerged.

The Ruffians are a group of thugs who leave their dull daytime lives to cause havok on the streets. They have no motivation other than pent up rage, which they let out on innocents.

The Assasins are a much more sinister and professional group of killers. They are united by criminal pasts. They have learnt that one of the townsfolks in conducting investigations into the recent muggings caused by the Ruffians and fear their past will be uncovered. But they do not know who it is who's nosing around! They have resorted to killing everyone in the town, to save themselves.

These are two mafia teams. Each team kills 1 person per night, and must asign one of their team to perform the kill.

Brother Cadfael

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108717/
    Brother Cadfael is the detective. He is also a Monk.

Monks

There are three Monks, including Brother Cadfael. In the same way as masons, they know each other, the town does not know them, and they know each other to be innocent. As well as this, they know that one of their number is the detective. Cadfael cannot reveal his identity to the other monks without revealing his identity to the town, similarly the other Monks cannot reveal that they are not Cadfael. Brother Cadfael also can nominate one person to heal each night.

Soldiers

Soldiers have a protective role. Each Soldier chooses a person to guard at night. If that person is attacked, there is an equal chance of:
    1 - The attack being deflected
    2 - The mafioso being killed by the Soldier
    3 - The mafioso killing the Soldier, but not the target
    4 - the mafioso killing both the Soldier and the target

Each Soldier is associated with a Noble

The Soldiers do not know each other, nor do they know their leige Noble (not realistic I know, but for game mechanics it has to be that way)

Nobles

Nobles have no special ability themselves. However, if they die, their Soldiers loose their special ability and become normal villagers.

They do not know the identity of their Soldiers or of each other (again, this needs to be the case for the game to be balanced)

As for the kills themselves, they must fit with the timeframe and be sensible. No stabbing people with cucumbers or blowing them up with gunpowder, this is the Middle Ages. If your kill has an ahistorical part in it, it won't happen. If you have any queries, PM me.

No screenshots of PM's I send you are allowed to be posted. You may, however, quote them.

Please check your calender to see if you are going on vacation for a week or something. If you don't vote two times in a row, you will suffer the Black Death.

Signups:
    Sir Moody
    Drisos
    Kommodus
    UltraWar
    Craterus
    Sasaki Kojiro
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Kagemusha
    Silver Rusher
    doc_bean
    Myrddraal
    Crazed Rabbit
    Proletariat
    Dutch_Guy
    Masy

Signups will close in 48 hours so be quick.
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 11-11-2006 at 12:37.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Default Re: The Age of Darkness (signups)

Sign me up please

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Shouldn't you wait a little longer? Silver's game is still going on...
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Well, Komm's game ended, GH.

I'm dead in all 'active' games... sign me up!
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

In a top-secret lab planning world domination

I'd also like to sign up, but I sense the signup period may go beyond 48 hours, as there are still two games in progress - Silver's and Sasaki's. It's fine with me if you extend it; in fact, it's probably a good thing.
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

I'd like to play too please.

in.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

In, please.

I'm actually brainstorming an involved mafia game of my own for sometime in early '07, this appears to have some of the characteristics I'm aiming for, so it will be instructive and fun.

Heavens, but I adore these little exercises in performative ambiguity.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 11-08-2006 at 18:08.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Im in.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Signed.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Not much exciting happening in BH2, so I guess I could handle another game. Sign me up !
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

I'll wait for one of the two games to finish before I start it; the 48 hours are just a basic guide.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Ignoramus asked me for advice on the rules. I've replied to his PM but thought I'd post my ideas here so that other people can give their input:

Assuming you have 20 players I'd suggest a game like this. (this is quite complicated, but pretty cool)

Roles (15! or even 17!!):

Pro town:
    Nobles (2)
    Soldiers (4)
    Brother Cadfael (1)
    Monk (2)

Pro mafia:
    Team 1:
    Ruffians (3)
    Team 2:
    Assasins (3)

Optional roles (if there are enough players)
    Pro mafia:
    Thief (1)
    Pro town:
    Thief catcher (1)

Ruffians and Assasins

Recently, mobs have ruled the streets of Shrewsbury at night. In particular, two groups have immerged.

The Ruffians are a group of thugs who leave their dull daytime lives to cause havok on the streets. They have no motivation other than pent up rage, which they let out on innocents.

The Assasins are a much more sinister and professional group of killers. They are united by criminal pasts. They have learnt that one of the townsfolks in conducting investigations into the recent muggings caused by the Ruffians and fear their past will be uncovered. But they do not know who it is who's nosing around! They have resorted to killing everyone in the town, to save themselves.

These are two mafia teams. Each team kills 1 person per night, and must asign one of their team to perform the kill.

Brother Cadfael

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108717/
    Brother Cadfael is the detective. He is also a Monk.

Monks

There are three Monks, including Brother Cadfael. In the same way as masons, they know each other, the town does not know them, and they know each other to be innocent. As well as this, they know that one of their number is the detective. Cadfael cannot reveal his identity to the other monks without revealing his identity to the town, similarly the other Monks cannot reveal that they are not Cadfael.

Soldiers

Soldiers have a protective role. Each Soldier chooses a person to guard at night. If that person is attacked, there is an equal chance of:
    1 - The attack being deflected
    2 - The mafioso being killed by the Soldier
    3 - The mafioso killing the Soldier, but not the target
    4 - the mafioso killing both the Soldier and the target

Each Soldier is associated with a Noble

The Soldiers do not know each other, nor do they know their leige Noble (not realistic I know, but for game mechanics it has to be that way)

Nobles

Nobles have no special ability themselves. However, if they die, their Soldiers loose their special ability and become normal villagers.

They do not know the identity of their Soldiers or of each other (again, this needs to be the case for the game to be balanced)

Optional roles:

Thief
    The Thief is a general pro mafia role, and so wins if either mafia team wins.

The Thief chooses to burgle the house of one person per night. If he burgles the house of a role, that person cannot use their ability in the next round as they spend the time clearing the mess, (of course if more than one mafia remains in each team, the other mafia can still perform the team kill)

Thief Catcher
    Detective role who can identify the theif, but not the mafia.

I'll do some stats on this configuration to see if it's fair and balanced, it may need tweaking.

What do people think? Too complicated? I think it could be fun!
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 11-09-2006 at 00:21.

Thanks, Myrddraal. I was thinking that maybe the monks could chose one person to heal, like the doctor in other games.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in, I just got lynched in Silver's game.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The last few Mafia games have really tired me out, to tell you the truth. No offense to Ig, but I'm just going to sit this one out and concentrate on making Mafia V great.

Thanks for understanding.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Oppinions? on the rule mechanics?

I like the soldier balance. I think you'll run into trouble with the monk/cadfael thing though. In my experience, that kind of secret is hard to keep, and it seems unnecessary. What's the point of a holy brotherhood if you can't say you are a detective or not?

Hmm. I was worried that having two voting allies would give the detective too much power...

Well, there are 6 mafiosos looking to kill whoever they think is voting in a block.

Thats true actually, though it might give the detective a bit too much protection from lynching, without having to reveal...

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    Thats true actually, though it might give the detective a bit too much protection from lynching, without having to reveal...
    Lots of protection, true, but the detective will need it. The detective and/or lynchings are going to have to wipe out an entire trio to stop half the murders.

With only one detective, a large safety net would probably help.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

inz

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh
    Lots of protection, true, but the detective will need it. The detective and/or lynchings are going to have to wipe out an entire trio to stop half the murders.

With only one detective, a large safety net would probably help.
    I agree. I'm also wondering if the nobles can't be somehow known to everyone? It'd make them a huge lightning rod, but it could also allow the game to start out with 2 known innocents. The soldiers would have to decide how many of them, if any, should try to protect their noble whereas the mobs would have to determine whether or not killing a noble is worth the risk. Also, it just makes sense that everyone would know who a noble is. Maybe it could even be a non-voting role like the CoP?

Regardless, sign me up.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Okay, well, now that I'm dead in Godfather, I can play just one game again (my own personal rule). For all those that analyze posting/playing style, as I admitted halfway through Godfather, my early 'newbieshness' wasn't really an act. When people started making fun of me, I did ramp it up to be coy, but I really didn't understand how to play the game.

When I'm much quieter at the beginning, accept that I've learned some about how the game is played and please don't lynch me out of hand. I'm clearly innocent now, and I'm telling you I'm not planning on posting anywhere near as much.

IN.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Yeah, I should say, if I'm townie in this game I'll probably be changing my posting style somewhat to appear less guilty. Although not too much, gotta keep the game interesting you know

Sasaki:

Maybe, just maybe, if you changed your

Icon, Org-name, Sig, posting style, and base language used

maybe you might not be a lightning rod for trouble.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I am innocent! wtf!

At least I have fun

Scary thing is, my average posts per day has jumped up about .75 since these started. When you've been here almost 3 years that's alot.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I just found out I have to fly to Japan on Monday.

I'm out.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast