Thread: flaming arrows

Default flaming arrows

are they more effective than normal arrows or against certain unit types/formations?

Default Re: flaming arrows

I seem to recall that flaming arrows are better against mailed knights.

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

That's a good question, and I suppose someone should do a test.

I use the flaming arrow mode almost exclusively because it make it easier to direct my missile fire and of course it looks cool when your target spontaneously combusts like the've been hit by a Molotov cocktail.

I don't have the feeling I am losing any effectivenes by doing so, but I could be mistaken.

In practice a flaming arrow would not have the range or accuracy of a regular bolt since to make it a flaming arrow in the first place it would be be weighted down with some type of oil soaked material wrapped around the head or shaft.

That alone would make flaming arrows sort of pointless except for the intended purpose of setting structural targets on fire, and of course this usage is not modeled in the game.

The arrows along with some of the flaming cannon ball effects are really pretty much gimmicks that the developers (Hollywood does this too) added to spice up the game, and compared to reality they are way over done, but as I said they do give one the ability to direct ones missile fire, and damn if they don't do exactly what the dev's intended---look cool as hell in the game.

Cheers
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

The drawback is that they take a lot longer to reload..
    Firearrows are only good for dropping morale.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

In RTW, flaming arrows had:
    decreased accuracy
    decreased damage

but
    lowered morale if it killed two or more units in a group

But IMO from the incineration effect you'd expect them to do more damage, but they don't.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

IIRC the tutorial said that they did more damage but were less accurate, and took more time to load.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Yes, i forgot to mention that you fire at roughly half the rate at which normal arrows fire.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

I normaly use fire arrows against units with spears or units on the flanks so I can free up my cavalry a little bit. Then I use crossbowmen and regular arrows for regular infantry or their heavy infantry. And I have notice the decreased accuracy when shooting at a target that is far away but up close, a volley or two if it is possible, really helps(and not to mention it looks nice when they burn ).
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Flame arrows are useful against heavily armoured targets if your missile attack is low (ie. archer militia vs. dismounted chiv knights). Armour piercing units like longbows don't need to do this.

Also, they drop morale quickly. Thus, targeting enemy militia units in a melee will often rout them and let your melee units gain an upper hand. Being hit by flaming arrows and charged in the back by cav simultaneously is usually enough to rout any unit.

Note that flaming shot is almost never useful (except against pavise xbow miltia) in an archery duel (rate of fire is more valuable in most cases). They should almost always be used against eles.

Wasn't the ysupposed to put the siege machines in fire (I never succeed to do this)?

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Yes, they are supposed to be able to light up siege engines. It's really, really hard for me with archers and seemingly trivial with AI.

The only reliable way to kill rams seems to be using ballista towers or better. My archers did a bit better against siege tower though.

Arlington, Texas, United States of America.

Normal arrows have higher accuracy. Which means they'll kill more with normal arrows against lower armored troops. Fire arrows increases the arrow damage allowing lower units to kill higher armored units. It also lowers morale with a significant bonus morale reduction on elephants.

They seem to be especially effective against cavalry for some reason too.
    Wine is a bit different, as I am sure even kids will like it.
    BigTex
    "Hilary Clinton is the devil"
    ~Texas proverb

I think the problem with rams is that they are so low in construction. Once they get close to the walls, the archers will not be able to fire the arrows straight at the ram, and they switch to firing those very high angle shots.
    I suspect the high angle shots have a severely reduced damage and thus they are unlikely to set anything on fire.

Not sure about this, but I guess one could test this by firing at a ram so that the archers are outside the gates. This is really difficult though.

Siege towers are high and since they are over the level of the archers, they can be shot at with the normal angle. This translates into them taking more damage from fire arrows.

As for the horses, I think it is the barding (the armor on the horse itself) that matters. Unarmored targets take heavy casualties from arrows anyway and mailed knights have unarmored horses. Try firing at fully armored knights that have horses in chainmail or better armor.
    Total war games played so far:
    STW, MTW, MTW:VI, RTW, MTW2, ETW, STW2