Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny place names

Default Funny place names

Ok I live near a couple of places that are quite funny if you’ve never heard them before for example “Chipping Sodbury” yep actual place, not quite as funny but “The Shoe” consists of a pub and about four houses.
    So anybody got funny names
    Make Beer Not War

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Funny place names

Intercourse, Pennsylvania.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

"'elp! I'm bein' repressed!" Senior Member Aenlic's Avatar

I live not too far from Cut-n-Shoot, Texas and Dime Box, Texas. Up near Dallas/Ft. Worth is the town of Dish which used to be the town of Clark until they agreed to change the name to Dish in exchange for free Dish network satellite TV service for all of the resident. That's got to be the dumbest reason for a town name I've ever heard.
    "Dee dee dee!" - Annoymous (the "differently challenged" and much funnier twin of Anonymous)

Well Whakarewarewa and Whakatane are 2 places not very far from where I live. It is so funny hearing American tourists trying to pronounce them after hearing someone else say it. This is because in Maori 'Wha' is pronounced similar to 'Far' and while we think nothing of saying it, Americans always hesitate or purposely pronounce it wrong because it sounds exactly like swearing.

Then there is one story my math teacher told me (he is from England) about when he first started staying in NZ. One of his Scottish friends told him "Come with us we're going to Whakatane." and his response was "OK, but whats a Tane?"

Pretty bad joke, I know.
    Last edited by Hepcat; 12-08-2006 at 10:21.

Arlington, Texas, United States of America.

Paris, Texas the Eiffel tower wears a cowboy hat.
    Last edited by BigTex; 12-08-2006 at 09:52.
    Wine is a bit different, as I am sure even kids will like it.
    BigTex
    "Hilary Clinton is the devil"
    ~Texas proverb

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    Intercourse, Pennsylvania.
    Ah, yes, Intercourse - that's not too far from my home. You know that a short drive from Intercourse leads you to Paradise - but take the long route via Gap since the scenery is pretty. Exploring the roads in that area too long and you'll end up in Blue Ball. Also in this neck of the woods is the small town of Bird-in-Hand, which is, in fact, worth two in the bush.
    Last edited by Gregoshi; 12-09-2006 at 16:24.
    This space intentionally left blank

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

I still remember the story of a German or Austrian town Fuc****ing and its frustrated mayor who was complaining that whenever English 'tourists' ( a sort of them) come here they usually have to buy new signs with the name of the town...

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Gregoshi, you knave. You saucy knave.
    Unto each good man a good dog

On Hunguary there is place called Nagykutas - "Nagi kutas" means nake.d di.ck in polish :)
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

There's a town in Spain called Poo.. or Po as of 2005. Doesn't quite beat the Austrian-Bavarian trio of Petting, Kissing and the aforementioned 'F'ing.
    Last edited by Justiciar; 12-09-2006 at 22:28.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Senior Member Senior Member Red Peasant's Avatar

I use to go out with a girl from Cockermouth in Cumbria.
    Dum spiro spero

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    - William James

I used to live in the City of Middelfart.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

Bull's is a fairly strange name, but yes Whakatane is the best I have come across so far.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

There is a place called Moose Factory in Canada, and not too far away is Moosonee.

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

There is a Hell in Michigan.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach
    I still remember the story of a German or Austrian town Fuc****ing and its frustrated mayor who was complaining that whenever English 'tourists' ( a sort of them) come here they usually have to buy new signs with the name of the town...
    Here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucking,_Austria

I like the wiki list for placenames with english meanings; Wank, Bavaria

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

1000 post member club Member Quid's Avatar

There is a place in Bern called Wankdorf. 'Dorf' meaning village. I only realised when some Irish mates, who went to see Switzerland playing, brought it to my attention. Very odd. I cannot say that name in good conscience any longer.

Incidentally, the stadium is called Wankdorf Stadion.

Quid
    ...for it is revenge I seek...

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    Juleus Ceasar, Shakespear

I drove through Blue Ball on Sunday - twice. Not surprisingly, it was going to and from Hershey. Alas, Intercourse, Paradise and Gap were too far out of the way, but I did have the pleasure of passing through Honeybrook both coming and going. As a side note, I was rather distressed to see that the local dance studio in Blue Ball was putting on a performance of The Nutcracker for the Christmas season.

I am not making any of this up.
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    I drove through Blue Ball on Sunday - twice. Not surprisingly, it was going to and from Hershey. Alas, Intercourse, Paradise and Gap were too far out of the way, but I did have the pleasure of passing through Honeybrook both coming and going. As a side note, I was rather distressed to see that the local dance studio in Blue Ball was putting on a performance of The Nutcracker for the Christmas season.
    Genius.

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Just so this post is vaguely on topic, I often drive through a place called Wyre Piddle in Worcestershire, which is mildly amusing. They have their own brewery which produces Piddle Ales such as Piddle in the Hole and a winter ale called Piddle in the Snow, although that may be trying just a touch too hard. Should you find yourself there on a summer evening I strongly recommend a pint in the Anchor Inn, watching the sun go down over the river, called, perhaps inevitably, the Piddle Brook.

That's enough piddle. Moving swiftly on to email addresses, I recently saw an email from the National Union of Students (something to do with a bill in Parliament since you ask). Their email domain is nus.org.uk. Imagine my delight when I realised that this means all their email addresses are @nus.org.uk....
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Sometimes, residents get tired of this stuff.

There's a link in the spoil tag which contains placenames of a embarrassing nature, at least for the residents of those towns.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

His higness, the Sultan Member Randarkmaan's Avatar

There's a municpality in Norway called Modum which was declared a few years ago as having the country's ugliest place names (lakes and similar) among those were...
    A lake called "kuktjern" - meaning "cock lake"
    Another lake called "Bergsjø" - which just means "hill sea/lake" or "mountain sea/lake" but is pronounced by locals as something like "bæsjø" which would mean "shit lake"
    A cottage called "runkebu" - "runke" means to wank/masturbate/jerk off
    A place called "Merrafitta" - roughly meaning "the bitch cunt"
    A place called "Rassballehaugene" - "Ass ball tops/hills"

Sorry for nasty language... and fortunately most of these are only understandable by Norwegians.
    Last edited by Randarkmaan; 12-17-2006 at 00:17.
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach
    Ah yes F***ing, Austria the "u" is pronounced like the "u" in English "put". Means “place of Focko’s people”.

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Hell, Minisota.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Condom, Gers
    Die, France
    Hell, Norway
    Kissing, Germany
    Leek, Staffordshire

I feel shame by doing this, but
    Di*do, Newfoundland and Labrador

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

%^it creek, Minnisota
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Motep dra Uha Dnia Mazzat
    %^it creek, Minnisota
    Really? You mean there is actually one, up which one can be, without a paddle?

How delicious.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

C'mon you guys from the UK, what about Lower Peover just north of Watford Gap.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast