Thread: Not only the cannon towers, but ballista towers are broken too!

Default Not only the cannon towers, but ballista towers are broken too!

This becomes extremely frustrating! As french my large city WTH ballista towers was attacked by attackers including 2 catapults. I thought "Ok. let them come in the mousetrap..."
    ONLY TO FIND OUT THE BALLISTAS DON'T WORK. I could clearly see them so at least as graphics they were there. But they didn't shot a single bolt although the enemy catapults were in range.
    Even more - the two stupid catapults were not only in the ballistas range, but in crossbows range. I specially turned off the "fire at will" option of my 2 crossbow units, then hit "stop" and then pointed them to shoot at the catapults. And 120 crossbowmen shot all their ammo killing ONLY 9 from the catapults 12 men crew allowing the catapults to make the wall like swiss cheese. And yes - all the crossbowmen were lined in a single line.

This game becomes increasingly frustrating. Practicaly every aspect in the game is broken and not working as intended.
    Last edited by econ21; 12-14-2006 at 13:58.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Re: Not only the cannon towers, but ballista towers are broken too!

While I have not used ballista towers before, I agree that ranged fire is very frustrating in RTW/M2TW because as a unit gets smaller, the individual becomes increasingly harder to kill, not only because more missiles miss, but also because the last few somehow can take a lot more hits than the previous ones.

As I mentioned in the bug thread, I had over 6 units of archers and xbows shooting a single archer unit and they needed some 4 volleys to kill the last individual in the troop alone
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Playing as Venice last night a French army besieged Dijon. I had two units of Pavise Crossbowmen (120 in total). The siegers had one catapult unit (20 men, 2 catapults). The first 10-15 mins of the battle was spent in an artillary barrage by the catapults, and during that time my Pavise crossbowmen fired at them and no-one else. End result: Crossbowmen had spent all their ammunition (all 120 of them) and there are still 3 artillery crew left of the 20. Seemed a bit unfair to me.
    Current Campaign

I think catapults are immune to small projectiles and somehow protect their crew from frontal fire.

And by the way, are you the same Handel as in the Mount&Blade forum?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Handel
    This becomes extremely frustrating! As french my large city WTH ballista towers was attacked by sh*tty attackers including 2 catapults. I thought "Ok. let them come in the mousetrap..."
    ONLY TO FIND OUT THE BALLISTAS DON'T WORK. I could clearly see them so at least as graphics they were there. But they didn't shot a single bolt although the enemy catapults were in range.
    Even more - the two stupid catapults were not only in the ballistas range, but in crossbows range. I specially turned off the "fire at will" option of my 2 crossbow units, then hit "stop" and then pointed them to shoot at the catapults. And 120 crossbowmen shot all their ammo killing ONLY 9 from the catapults 12 men crew allowing the catapults to make the wall like swiss cheese. And yes - all the crossbowmen were lined in a single line.

This game becomes increasingly frustrating. Practicaly every aspect in the game is broken and not working as intended.
    You do realize you have to have troops next to the towers to "man" them for them to work yes?
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy's begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi
    You do realize you have to have troops next to the towers to "man" them for them to work yes?
    After my crossbowmen are on the wall it is quite obvious.

BTW - I found you don't even need to have men on the walls the towers to be manned. Even the cavalry staying in the near the towers counts as manning.

Woo Handel calm. Whilst the question did you have the walls manned may have seemed a silly one to you, it was not OBVIOUS to us reading a few lines of text that the x-bow men you were talking about were stationed in a position to activate the closest ballista towers.

Even the most experianced players are still finding out some basics of the game so anyone repling to you is trying to help not mock you for inepitude or anything. They are tring to help and often it is little things that do help.

If I have misread the "mood" of your replay I am sorry. But Musahi was just trying to help I am sure.
    Last edited by El Diablo; 12-14-2006 at 02:23.
    "My IQ test came back. Thankfully it was negative"

Been to:

I just wanted to rule out the most obvious problem first... You know, the way you check to make sure your cables are actually connected first when your connection goes does....
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy's begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

Default Re: cannon towers do work

I blasted 4 mongol armies to bits in a sallying battle after they sieged my settlement .. then my machine ground to a holt.

Some have said you need troops near towers for them to work, sounds reasonable. (you see the flag on top of tower when you're near)

R
    Rorarii

Camillus, Savior of Rome.

Default Re: cannon towers do work

Towers just dont fire some times even when manning the walls. Ive actually got a citadel in the middle east and every single seige the towers never fire im coming close to demolishing them and rebuilding to see if that kick starts them into working. Its not like im going to miss them they never fire anyway.

@Handel

I've had this issue a couple of times now. I find it more frustrating with the arrow kill rates which have been discussed:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My issues are also the rate of fire and the power of the arrows which should have the BODKIN Armour piercing heads. I had 4 units of retinue Longbowmen letting loose at about 40 Kyote Priests.
    That's 480 top notch Arrows being fired at 40 padded americans armed only with 2x4s with a bit of sharpened gravel stuck in the sides.
    That's basically 12 arrows per man.
    You should expect first shot, even with arrows falling short/going too far/missing, to be goodbye fellas right? We ALL know it should have. Wrong. It took a good 7 shots to whittle them down.
    That's 3360 Arrows.
    84 Prime Enlgish Arrows for each of those yodelling Wolf-men.
    Something that should have taken less than a minute. Which we ALL know didn't.

And the towers from the threads are bugged. I think many feel your pain!
    I wonder if Lusted could Mod some custard pies for the Longbows and Crossbows?