Thread: -Mod:Megas_Alexandros

Default -Mod:Megas_Alexandros

Can someone please explain how I could use the -mod:(insert mod name here) command line to run Megas Alexandros. I don't want to overwrite any of the original rtw files. I made a copy of BI to mod as that is what I am creating Megas Alexandros off of. I can not seem to get it to work though. Can someone help me please? I have total war eras, so anything I need concerning the actual game I have, just tell me please.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Default Re: -Mod:Megas_Alexandros

Hi, I assume from your post that you're using BI, please refer to the thread that recently popped to the top of the scriptorium:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...05#post1380305
    the problem with BI is it is no where near as elegant to -mod as RTW, in RTW you only needed the changed files in the modfolder. BI is already effectively a -mod of RTW though not displayed that way in the shortcuts. Nearly all of the files in the BI folder are required to be transfered into the -mod folder before you can add your own mod stuff.

The way BI -mods are currently working is to copy the entire BI directory into lower level of the directory re-name and install over the renamed directory so you run -mod:bi/mymod as the shortcut

To get the files that have defined path names to divert to your mod folder run a search for files containing bi/ and where appropriate change them to bi/mymod/.
    For the bits that are not pathed refer to Dol Guldur's last post in the linked thread about creating mod_0.pak.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Thank you. I tried to read the using -mod_my_mod thread, and I didnt understand it that well, I just needed clarification.

edit: It seems like you said it, but I sort of got lost. Could mod RTW but use BI features. You said something along the lines of -mod:bi/mymod. I know that putting -mod:bi in the rtw command line will let you use shield wall and other things from BI.

I am basically saying.

Is it possible to make the mod for RTW but use features from BI like shield wall etc.?
    Last edited by Roman_Man#3; 01-10-2007 at 23:01.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

If you use -mod:bi in the RTW command line I think it will try and run the entire BI game through the RTW.exe which it won't like because RTW even v1.5 doesn't support hording and some other BI features.

If you want to use the RTW game files but run them through the BI.exe to get the extra BI features then you either need to run the BI.exe shortcut with the changed command line.

Either just -mod on the target line which should get you direct to the location of the original Imperial campaign files (sorry trying to check if -mod is right phrasing but various links are dead at the moment). Or preferable use -mod:my_mod where my_mod is the name of your modfolder placed at the same level as the bi folder with just your revised files in it.

For RTW under BI.exe you only need to copy in the world files including your campaign folder into my_mod/data/world/etc and have a:
    my_mod/data/text/campaign_name_regions_and_settlements.txt file
    plus any revised files in the modfolder. Everything else can get read from the RTW folder.

for some info on the shield wall issue see here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...05#post1380305

I actually think that some of the BI features can get enabled in RTW 1.5 without running through the BI.exe - horde factions though definitely can't, and unfortunately I can't remember which other bits work or not!
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the: