Thread: Lance charges vs. cavalry

Default Lance charges vs. cavalry

I was wondering if anybody else has the problem of not being able to get any kills from a head-on lance charge against enemy cavalry? For example, on a grassy plain map, if you doubleclick the enemy cavalry with your cavalry, they run up to them, lower their lances, keep the formation, but nobody dies until the secondary weapons are drawn. I didn't do any comprehensive tests, but this is the impression I am getting from the battles I've tried. I am wondering if this is due to the soldiers' 3D models not being 'hit' by the lances - the horse's head is blocking the way and perhaps the lances are too short to reach the rider. So, am I doing something wrong, or is it just the way it is?

I seem to remember reading something similar to this on the forum, but I don't remember where it was - my apologies to the person who first reported this.
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Default Re: Lance charges vs. cavalry

From my experience it's just the way it is. It may even be better to make the lancers mess up their initial charge so they already have their swords drawn.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Yup, I see the same thing happen to me, but only against medium and heavy cavalry. Light and missile cavalry usually lose a few in the initial charge.
    However, when fighting heavy cav, its better to attack them slowly in melee than charge in because when you charge, a few of your units get trapped further in the enemy unit and get literally cut off very quickly.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Might be because they have similar collision mass?

Quote Originally Posted by Siebharrin
    Might be because they have similar collision mass?
    Good point. I'll see whether I can observe any changes now that I have changed the mass of different mounts. Still, I think that at least some casualties should be inflicted by cavalry directly charging other cavalry unit.
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Supreme Ruler of the Universe Member FrauGloer's Avatar

I've done plenty of tests of cav vs cav, and there have always been kills on my charges... E.g. Knights Templar vs Knights Hospitaller head-on in 2 lines each, both lower their lances, on impact about 15 KTs and 15 KHs die, then they change to swords and fight it out. This is out of memory, but I'm 100 percent certain that I've seen several of them falling before anyone had got their swords out.

As for why there are fewer casualties then in a cavalry-infantry situation, I think the similar collision mass is a good reason.
    Current Campaigns: