Thread: How do I enable M2TW's console?

Default How do I enable M2TW's console?

Hey there, guys! Could anybody tell me how to enable M2TW's console? I press the normal key you use to open a game's console (RTW's included) and nothing happens. Have I just missed something in the settings, or do you have to alter any config files or something similar to enable it?

Default Re: How do I enable M2TW's console?

You should just be able to access it by pressing the key in the top left of your keyboard, below escape (but not while holding shift, as some games seem to need)

If you press it while typing it should display `
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

sapi, he just said he tried that :p

In any case, try one of the keys 1 or 2 columns to the left of your enter button. For a German keyboard its ö for example.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Katz can you give us any info on what keyboard you are using and whether you have an english version computer?
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

@Factionheir - my memory must have been playing tricks on me - i could have sworn that rtw's console was accessed with ~, not `

Anyway, it's probably an issue with not using a US keyboard layout
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

sapi, for most keyboards here in the US, ` and ~ are on the same key just one shift away
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

I know - but in most games, ` brings up the console and ~ does squat

Hey again. Thanks for the suggestions so far. As far as keyboard mapping is concerned, I'm using a UK English one- it is the ` key that opens consoles, as opposed to the ~ as found on US English keyboards.

The keyboard itself is a Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard. It has a load of extra buttons and functions which I never really use and do cause some problems relating to the Function keys and printscreen keys, but I've ever encountered a problem with the key in question with other games- RTW, HL2, Oblivion etc.

At any rate, I've got it working now. It appears that for some weird reason, it's decided it wants to use the apostrophe/@ key as the one that opens the console. Inconveniently placed, but whatever.

Now my only problem is the add_money "VALUE" thing just doesn't work. ¬_¬

Are you using "" around the amount? Try it with just the numbers. EG:

add_money 5000

FWIW I found that on my English (UK) keyboard i had to press the @ ' key which is 2 from the left of the Enter key.

Now all I need is a list of the commands and how to access them.

I press ? for help but it doesn''t recognise the command.

Don't think it has a "listcommands" command(silly sentence...). Would have been neat though.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

You might try the follwing commands :

-process_cq "settlement" : process construction queue immediately
    -add_money (you already know it)
    -give_trait this name of trait : give a trait to a general/agent. You'll need to have him alone out of a settlement to do it (this replaces his name as the console doesn't take two-parts names)
    -remove_trait this name of trait : inverse of the above
    -give/remove_ancillary this name of ancillary : add or remove retinue on a general/agent (same as above)
    -auto_win attacker/defender : use when on the selection screen of battles to win automatically any battle or siege (whether you're attcking or defending)

There are some other which I have listed on my home PC... Will complete the list as soon as possible...
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks