Thread: Night battles... aren't ?

Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

Default Night battles... aren't ?

This may or may not be a well known issue, I'll admit that I didn't take the time to read through the wishlist/bug threads. Anyway, I've got a problem with night battles. Namely, that they aren't night battles .

Now, back in BI, you were first given the choice to deploy at late dusk (greyish sky, still some dim lighting), then the more you hit the "Wait" button, the later at night the battle took place, until you hit dawn on the last hit. And that night was REAL night, I mean it was pitch black, the only thing you could see were the torches and flame arrows, anything else you had to squint, especially the terrain which made for a great and totally different battle experience.

But in M2TW, when I start a night battle, I deploy under a merely overcast sky, with otherwise good visibility... and the worst thing is, if I hit "wait"... it suddenly becomes a day battle, only with torches. I've fought night battles under a clear blue sunny sky .

I wonder, is this a problem with my comp, or a general problem ? And if so, is there a fix out there ?
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Default Re: Night battles... aren't ?

Agreed on all points. It is a general problem, he game now takes different days it seems when you click wait. The fix would be to change the lighting distances in battle mode (?). I don't know how to do that. I have had some 85% black as pitch night battles but nothing like RTW. I'd like to mod this.

I'd suggest you post this in the 1.3 wishlist, CA could probably change this in minutes.
    A Gamecenter with a dedicated Total War fanbase!
    Check out our Facebook!
    Email: shahed@outpost.be

Welsh Cossack Member Czar Alexsandr's Avatar

When I start a night battle the conditions are generally acceptable to me. But if you do click wait it does change to daytime.

I suppose the night's are dark enough for me cause my battles tend to take place in Russia during winter where it doesn't really get that dark anyways. Not to my knowledge anyways. At least in the farther north areas it would seem. Kind of like Alaska. But as other factions I have had some dissapointing night battles that hardly looked like night. But most of my night battles really do look like night to me..

"Hope is the last to die." Russian Proverb.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobal2fr
    But in M2TW, when I start a night battle, I deploy under a merely overcast sky, with otherwise good visibility... and the worst thing is, if I hit "wait"... it suddenly becomes a day battle, only with torches. I've fought night battles under a clear blue sunny sky .

I wonder, is this a problem with my comp, or a general problem ? And if so, is there a fix out there ?
    I had that, too. Even in some normal daytime battles I┤ve seen my troops carrying torches - and some "daytime" battles under the stars...

I have made remark in the forum since 1.0 about this problem and in 1.2 wish list. But nothing was changed. I agree with all of you. I have the same problem - no night at all, torches in day battles....

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

Torches will appear in the sunrise and sunset daytypes just like they did in BI as those daytypes are classed as night.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

If they are classed as night, then you ought to get night battle command boni for them too, no? But somtimes you don't have the option to select a night battle as attacker and yet on the battlefield your units carry torches in daylight.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Do night battles just give a command bonus?
    When God said "Let light be made!", Marx answered: "Say please."

I use this avatar not because i'm persian. But because i have a pink pijama.

Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

No, they also prevent any reinforcement from taking part in the battle.
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

Maybe the thinking is that if you have the 'night figher' trait you can fight better at night, ergo you get not quite pitch blackness so you can see what's going on (and theoretically if your opponent is not a night fighter he can't). Personally I find pitch blackness tremendously annoying as I try and see what the hell is going on.

ive seen torches on the brightest days before.

the crusade animation movie shows the soldiers marching in daytime near the end of the clip with torches.

a bit off topic but i had a mongol general attack me in a night battle, i think it was the second attack on my stack in the same turn, anyhow this battle lasted a long time and by the end of it the sun was rising it was pretty cool.
    "Forgiveness is between them and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"

Just a point. Is there any advantage over the AI if your general has night vision but the oppostion hasnt. Theoretically the other force should be cut to pieces as they cannot be lead by the general / captain?

there doesnt seem to be any affect on the generals ability to cammand. the only affect is no reinforcements are available to the defending army while if the attacking armies 2 generals both have night fighter, they both gang up on the defending single army.

i hope i got that right. the mongols attacked me many times with 2 armies when my reinforcements couldnt come in. i was assuming both the mongol generals had night fighter
    "Forgiveness is between them and god, my job is to arrange the meeting"

Quote Originally Posted by crpcarrot
    there doesnt seem to be any affect on the generals ability to cammand.
    No. The night fighter general gets an additional +1 command when fighting at night. Also fighting at night gives points to the Likes the Night trait that gives even more command bonuses.