Thread: Advice needed

Default Advice needed

Well recently I graduated High school and now I have qutie a bit of money to spend, and I have no clue what to spend it on. I want to spend the money and treat myself to something nice, and an idea popped up. Why not buy a guitar and learn to play it.

So the question I pose is this, is this a good idea, or just a waste of money? Should I go electric, or acoustic? Is there any advice you would like to extend to someone just learning to play? or maybe if you know of any good sites I could learn from, maybe link them.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Default Re: Advice needed

Depends, what kind of music do you like? Is it just going to be a hobby or do you want to go anywhere with it? What do you want to play? Punk, Metal, Country, harder stuff? I mean there's a lot to consider like how much you're willing to pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

If you don't have a clear idea of something you really want or need, save it.

At your age, investment over a longish term can really pay dividends in five or ten years when you really do need the money for something essential like a house.

Always better to save than spend. Get into the habit early and you will be much better off.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost

At your age, investment over a longish term can really pay dividends in five or ten years when you really do need the money for something essential like a house.

Always better to save than spend. Get into the habit early and you will be much better off.
    Heh, Ironically, if I had a cent for every time I heard that... I would probably spend them.

My advice is, if you are the saving kind of person, save it. If you know that it'll just whittle away on nothing, then do something with it. Take a trip. I went to Rome for 2 months after I finished High School.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

There goes BG being all sensible again.... Seriously, that is good advice, if you don't know what you really want it's best to wait til you do. (Having said that, if I'd had spare cash at that age I'd have blown it on wine, women and weed -- although if you get good with the guitar those three come along for free, or so I'm told )

If you have time as well as cash itching to be spent, you could do worse than a bit of travel, and get to see some of the world, that would be an experience that would remain with you.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Hmmm, if you take lessons, do you need your own guitar? I am sure there are schools to be found that have a few laying around.

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tristrem
    I have qutie a bit of money to spend, and I have no clue what to spend it on
    Hm that's something I hardly have much experience to give advice from... Have some fun, or make some wise safe investment (in stock, a house, in learning something you'll have use for, or in looking rich to get laid easier then try to marry the girl while you're still looking rich, etc.), or just save I suppose is what I would do.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Well recently I graduated High school and now I have qutie a bit of money to spend, and I have no clue what to spend it on. I want to spend the money and treat myself to something nice, and an idea popped up. Why not buy a guitar and learn to play it.

So the question I pose is this, is this a good idea, or just a waste of money? Should I go electric, or acoustic? Is there any advice you would like to extend to someone just learning to play? or maybe if you know of any good sites I could learn from, maybe link them.

Well I know I'm going to buy a new guitar this summer... I'm playing for more than eight years tough....

But only buy one if you now you're not going to quit after a week or so, and go with someone who knows something about guitars. Cause the men from the shop can give someone some real c**p and even ask a lot of money for it too. Als buy something decent from the beginning, it doesn't have to be that expensive but don't buy junk. Again only do it if you're sure you'll still be playing after a few years.

agitated Member master of the puppets's Avatar
    where destruction lay around me from a fight i could not win

Talking Re: Advice needed

be sure you want to spend the money that way. If in the end you don't play it much it's money wasted.
    (have a freind who did the same thing, bought it, learned it, learned the music was'nt in his heart, doesnt play much anymore, wishes he'd spent it on weed)
    A nation of sheep will beget a a government of wolves. Edward R. Murrow

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. —1 John 2:9

well I intend to keep it at the hobby level, well at least till I get to be a decent player. I usually am a saver, but i want to enjoy my money on a new hobby. I know if i don't spend it on something, it will just sit in the bank and I will forget about it. Keep the ideas flowing while i still ponder the idea....

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Spend it on college.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Well recently I graduated High school
    Recently much? For me it's quite literally today, albeit no graduation walk yet, and I hope I trip on the stage.

The money, well, if you already have your college stuff cleared and prepared (assuming you're going to college, otherwise ignore me) I'd think you can either save it or use it for some traveling. But that's just me. In any case, I think it'd be better if you borrow a guitar from someone for a while to play around with it, see if you really like it, before jumping in and pay out the big cash. It's hard to find someone with a spare guitar though :/

If you haven't saved for college yet I believe that's where the money's best spent. Every dollar you bring into it means every dollar less debt darkening your bright post-college world-conquering future.

well I intend to keep it at the hobby level, well at least till I get to be a decent player. I usually am a saver, but i want to enjoy my money on a new hobby. I know if i don't spend it on something, it will just sit in the bank and I will forget about it. Keep the ideas flowing while i still ponder the idea....
    If you like the option of buying a guitar, like music and think you will still be playing after a few weeks. I'd say go for it. You can learn most by the internet alone (free!!!). I know a few guys who learned themselves hwo to play the guitar with only using the internet. (I did give some a few tips and stuff, but thats it)

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost

Oh, don't be so terribly Middle Class.

Here's what you do, Tristrem:
    Always live well above your means. In order to be succesful, one has to portray success at all times. You need to spend to earn. Accumulated success beats accumulated interest hands down.

Spend it all on the guitar and learn how to make her talk. Chicks dig guys with guitars. This will seriously improve the looks of your girlfriends. Which gives you raised self-confidence, which you will radiate. Hence people want to be your friend. This will seriously improve the quality of your network. You will know lots of people, who all think of you as being succesful, hot and happening. Hence you're the one who's getting that great job opportunity.
    Etcetera.

It's a winner takes all world.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Spend it all on the guitar and learn how to make her talk. Chicks dig guys with guitars. This will seriously improve the looks of your girlfriends. Which gives you raised self-confidence, which you will radiate. Hence people want to be your friend. This will seriously improve the quality of your network. You will know lots of people, who all think of you as being succesful, hot and happening. Hence you're the one who's getting that great job opportunity.
    Etcetera.
    Wierd I play the guitars for eight years and I... Damn I must be one ugly **********!

Everybody plays the guitar now. Buy a banjo.
    "How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." -Ronald Reagan

"It's somewhat ironic that closing spam threads increases my postcount"
    -Ser Clegane

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiji
    He's right but how many can play it good? Don't buy a banjo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiji
    and grow a mullet while you are at it...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Are you going to college? If so I'd put a portion of it away for the college years. You will be able to party plenty and now you can pay for the beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    He's right but how many can play it good? Don't buy a banjo.
    I consider myself pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros
    I consider myself pretty good.
    Warning: banjos attract donkeys, not chicks!

Nah, to answer the initial question, I would say that if you have spare time and think you would use it for a while, go for the guitar, or another instrument if you feel like playing. Having intellectual/physical AND artistic activities is important for one's balance.