Thread: EU vows to get tough on sale of "killer games"

Default EU vows to get tough on sale of "killer games"

http://jurnalo.com/jurnalo/storyPage.do?story_id=41639

Yes, yes, we've heard it all before, violence in video games makes us dangerous psychopaths. That aside, what do these people think they can do with this? Do they really think banning sales of such games to minors(much like alcohol and tobacco) will have any effect at all? It's not hard for a minor to get those things, for games it will be a million times easier, as they can simply download it.

I can't see any effect a law like this will have, except cripple the producers, as people will stop buying the games.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Default Re: EU vows to get tough on sale of "killer games"

They keep their hands off my MTW2 or I'll have to go on a shooting rampage and kill ever...um, oh my.
    RIP Tosa

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Thoughts:

1. The EU is willing to get tough on Video Games....but not willing to make a simliar statement regarding Islamist dissidents (I might have simply have missed that, of course).

2. The EU is willing to get tough on Video Games....but not willing to tell Putin to dial back the expansionists and back up the EU request (I might have simply have missed that, of course).

3. The EU is willing to get tough on Video Games....but not willing to pressure China and/or the Pacific to join in with the EU any Global Warming counter-moves (I might have simply have missed that, of course).

Priorities, priorities....

Soon your EU will be as collectively useless as our Congress.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh
    Thoughts:

1. The EU is willing to get tough on Video Games....but not willing to make a simliar statement regarding Islamist dissidents (I might have simply have missed that, of course).

2. The EU is willing to get tough on Video Games....but not willing to tell Putin to dial back the expansionists and back up the EU request (I might have simply have missed that, of course).

3. The EU is willing to get tough on Video Games....but not willing to pressure China and/or the Pacific to join in with the EU any Global Warming counter-moves (I might have simply have missed that, of course).

Priorities, priorities....

Soon your EU will be as collectively useless as our Congress.
    Yes, because doing one thing rules out doing another, especially if all those other issues fall outside the authority of the people who decided this...

I'll wait and see what they come up with, so far they're only talking about minors, and I don't really care about what they can buy or not
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

In 2010, if any of the EU Orgahs need GTA7, drop me a PM, I'll hook you up!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

the only violence that games make me want to commit is against morons that want to take them away from me....

Violent computer games.....you can take them from my cold dead hands!!!!
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

This is probably a good thing. I think they will only ban the really horrible games, like Manhunt, GTA etc. As long as they keep off my preferential genre, I don't mind.
    I support Israel

The law may be passed or not, but I'm pretty sure it won't make a difference in reality, since it won't be enforced. 'cause it's reaaaally hard to ask your 2-years-older-than-you friend to buy it for ya..
    Plus, what, they gonna card you every time you go into a game store ?!
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo_H
    This is probably a good thing. I think they will only ban the really horrible games, like Manhunt, GTA etc. As long as they keep off my preferential genre, I don't mind.
    I've never seen the problem with games as GTA, generals are much more ruthless than a lone tug.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

A good sign, in my opinion. Finally politicians seem to be realising that many computer games are aimed squarely at adults, and that like films they should be treated as such. Certain games simply shouldn't be played by underage people, but that doesn't mean a total ban is in order; this seems like a more mature approach.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Regulations on whether or not minors can buy them don't strike me as a particularly bad thing, especially since they're so easy to circumvent, but has there yet been any conclusive evidence that violent video games lead to violent behavior. I could even see them potentially as a a vent for violent feelings. This continued assumption without evidential support just makes me cringe every time it comes up.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Nice, this is what my EU tax money is going to...
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave
    They keep their hands off my MTW2 or I'll have to go on a shooting rampage and kill ever...um, oh my.
    DD wins the thread.

While there's certainly a pause when you watch that ten-years-old playing GTA or whatever, I think age limits in general are way too high (what? Sixteen and can't play violent games? Seventeen and no sex movies for ya?) and therefore think this measure is total bollocks.

In any case with all the torrents around the 'net people'll just move on from legal hard copies they can no longer acquire to torrenting, which is, well, not exactly healthy for the industry.