Thread: Agent Orange

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Agent Orange

http://www.stern.de/wissenschaft/medizin/:Dioxin-Opfer-Das-Erbe-Vietnamkrieges/591454.html

I'll get around to translating that eventually, but in the meantime, use an online translation tool to read if you cannot understand German

Short summary:
    The U.S. mixed Agent Orange (a dioxin containing herbicide) in lakes in Vietnam during the war and now people living close to the lake, who fish, use the water for household purposes or even farm near the old U.S. military base spanning some 850 hectars are affected, especially their children, who become mentally retarded and physically deformed.
    There are no signs to warn local populace of the danger and the Vietnamese government does not have the funds to clear the skyrocketing dioxin levels in that area, which amount to some $40 million, while the U.S. government keeps saying that there is not proven link between dioxin levels and the disabilities observed in that area and refuses to pay for either cleaning or disability aid. Vietnamese individuals have lodged a lawsuit to force Agent Orange to be a banned substance in war, but the NY court threw the suit out. The U.S. based chemical manufacturers deny fault by stating that what they did was done under military orders.

Discuss.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Default Re: Agent Orange

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    http://www.stern.de/wissenschaft/medizin/:Dioxin-Opfer-Das-Erbe-Vietnamkrieges/591454.html

I'll get around to translating that eventually, but in the meantime, use an online translation tool to read if you cannot understand German

Short summary:
    The U.S. mixed Agent Orange (a dioxin containing herbicide) in lakes in Vietnam during the war and now people living close to the lake, who fish, use the water for household purposes or even farm near the old U.S. military base spanning some 850 hectars are affected, especially their children, who become mentally retarded and physically deformed.
    There are no signs to warn local populace of the danger and the Vietnamese government does not have the funds to clear the skyrocketing dioxin levels in that area, which amount to some $40 million, while the U.S. government keeps saying that there is not proven link between dioxin levels and the disabilities observed in that area and refuses to pay for either cleaning or disability aid. Vietnamese individuals have lodged a lawsuit to force Agent Orange to be a banned substance in war, but the NY court threw the suit out. The U.S. based chemical manufacturers deny fault by stating that what they did was done under military orders.

Discuss.
    Good, serves the little commies right. Next time maybe they'll fight on the right side.
    RIP Tosa

Good, serves the little commies right.
    What sort of sad disturbed individual could describe children being deformed and retarded as good ?

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    The U.S. based chemical manufacturers deny fault by stating that what they did was done under military orders.
    And yet people behind Auschwitz and other charming parts of the holocaust claim they did it on orders, and end up hung for crimes against humanity?

I suppose because this chemical manufacturer is on the 'winning side' (i've found a lot of people to be idiots, who think US won Vietnam) they will never be brought to trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave
    Good, serves the little commies right. Next time maybe they'll fight on the right side.
    sometimes dave i find your stuff humorous as I can see the tongue clearly lodged in the cheek.

Not with you on this one, vietnam was one big cluster @#$%, and this is just one of the little piles of crap that someone else is left to pick up the pieces too.

I understand that in warfare sometimes you have to target civilians in order to sever the backbone of armies, Sherman proved that in atlanta in 1865, but we knew what kind of long term effect this would have on these people, and it was done long after we should have picked up our ball and left the game.

I'm not convinced that there should be payments made due to war time circumstances, but this was an event that affected the population long term and we knowingly executed it as an offensive strategy.

There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

It is disturbing.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Maybe they can get money from the Chinese or Jane Fonda, but not 1 tax dollar should go to them from the US. If you feel so passionatley about send them a few bucks from your own wallet/purse.
    RIP Tosa

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave
    Considering where the base were, that would be the North...
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

while the U.S. government keeps saying that there is not proven link between dioxin levels and the disabilities observed in that area and refuses to pay for either cleaning or disability aid.
    I'd say make DevDave president.
    He at least accepts USA is responsible for babies being born retarded or with excess limbs - he just doesn't give a rats posterior about it since they're communist babies, wich I guess is a marginal improvement.

He at least accepts USA is responsible for babies being born retarded or with excess limbs - he just doesn't give a rats posterior about it since they're communist babies, wich I guess is a marginal improvement.
    Yeah funny isn't it , you would expect a good ol' boy to be calling for a public flogging for those responsible for stuff like this..........http://withfriendship.com/user/tuyen/agent-orange.php....think o the poor little children eh.

But hey what can yer say to crap like this....
    Maybe they can get money from the Chinese or Jane Fonda
    errrrrrrr........the chinese didn't do it and fonda protested about the whole lunatic adventure
    the people who should pay for it are the feckwits who did it .

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Holy......... that is pretty horrible looking. If a connection with agent orange can be proved then the USA should aid imho. War being right or wrong has nothing to do with the effect on these people today, shouldn't have been used either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    I'd say make DevDave president.
    Yupper, much like the "plight of the Palestinian child". I look at it as one less enemy we have to face later down the road. Its like the folks starving in North Korea. I use to care about that but guess what, I don't anymore. They've been taught to hate us and you're not going to change their minds no matter how nice you play with them. This includes that islamic nutjobs out there as well. The only thing you do when you aid these people is aid in your own demise. Cold and harsh, I know, but very practical. Vietnam was a mistake that we should have figured out when we saw the French tuck tail and run (nto like thats not of an indicator since thats the general reaction for them in everything) and not accepted the invitation to assist the curropt Southern government. My country just needs to realise that some people prefer misery and allow themselves to be enveloped by it (see Africa). So, right after work, I'm gonna grab a double cheese burger, fill up my SUV, go home to my comfy home, and NOT ONCE, will I give a thought to little retarded excessed limbed vietnamese kids that consider me a monster anyway.
    RIP Tosa

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Enjoy your burger, Dave.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Sadly, the thread appear to have gone downhill rapidly and I can't see how it can be rescued.

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"