It's 204BC, I'm playing as Rome and I have just finished getting Carthage where I want them- as a little buffer state with Egypt.

As usual Macedon and Koinen Hellonen are a feudin' and a fightin' themselves into the ground and Getai have started steamrolling Macedon.

Typically Roman as I play, I hate the idea of a superpower on my border (I have Illyria), so I go to intervene on behalf of Macedon. Declaring war on the Getians I have relieved Epirus (I wiped out the Epirotes 50 years ago and gave it to Macedon to prevent them dying and leaving me with a strong neighbour) but the Macedonian homelands are now looking very brown. Instead of the usual Rhompia-fest, the Getai are fielding mainly horse archer armies.

Clearly, archer on pony is a good look this season because the Sauromatae have come in north of Dacia and attacked me unprovoked (that's not a surprise).

I've fought two battles with them so far and am getting slaughtered. It's the normal problem- heavy cavalry can't catch them, light cavalry don't get close.

Is there any strategy that doesn't involve spamming them in a war of attrition?