Thread: Getic blood bath, pointers.

Default Getic blood bath, pointers.

Hey all
    so I'm fighting a thus far successful Mak campaign. I have taken all of Hellas and half of anatolia. So far I have pushed back the Arche and the Romans and I'm holding firm while I expand in Anatolia. Recently though, the Getic tribes decided it would be a good time to attack, so now I'm getting the love from all three sides.

I've played as the Getai before and they are a lot of fun, but suddenly I realized that I've never really had to deal with them as a military power. Usually because by the time I get to that area they are already subjugated or destroyed by one of the hellenic factions.

So now i'm looking for a little advice on how to deal with some well developed Getic stacks. They really like the skirmishers and HA's which I'm finding to be a problem with my phalanx biased unit roster. I'm trying out tons of Sphendonetai but they get killed REALLY easy.

So any suggestions about how to wage a successful Getic blood bath would be appreciated

Cheers!

Default Re: Getic blood bath, pointers.

Well, one of Macedon's greatest strengths is their cavalry. Utilize it. Prodromoi should do well, as well as Thessalians and Companions. You should be able to afford a stack of mainly heavy and light cavalry supplemented by lighter troops such as spendontai and peltasti with a small core of either levy phalanx troops, or Hoplite's or what have you.

Default Re: Getic blood bath, pointers.

At the front you need phalanxes and after that line many archers and behinde there your general and cavalry. Your archer will kill their HA and if they charge your phalanxes you can send you cavalry to help or use them to chase routing units after the battle is almost won. Or traine your own HA stack and fight against his that would be fun
    Hope this helps

Karo
    "I should like to see any power of the world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people, whose history is ended, whose wars have been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, whose literature is unread, whose prayers are no longer answered.... For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia!

William Saroyan, 1935.

High kings of the Mountains: A Hayasdan AAR

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Getic blood bath, pointers.

1. 4 - 5 good phalanxes, I'm talking of hysteroi pezhetairoi or argyraspidai

2. 2 sphendonetai

3. hire 2 units of steppe riders

4. 2 - 4 thracian prodromoi do well

5. so do 2 thessalian cavalry

6. infantry with good armour, so no agrianians

I managed to totally annihilate "my" 7-province Getai-empire with that after one of my promising generals decided it would be fine to become a dirty barbarian.

The first stacks I met were really dangerous, many horse archers. It's important to take out the phylakes daoi and the other archers / slingers first. The stacks I faced towards the end of the 15-year war were crappy, basically Komatai hordes and celtic levies. The last Getian was executed in Veldideno in Raetia.

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Getic blood bath, pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    1. 4 - 5 good phalanxes, I'm talking of hysteroi pezhetairoi or argyraspidai

2. 2 sphendonetai

3. hire 2 units of steppe riders

4. 2 - 4 thracian prodromoi do well

5. so do 2 thessalian cavalry

6. infantry with good armour, so no agrianians

I managed to totally annihilate "my" 7-province Getai-empire with that after one of my promising generals decided it would be fine to become a dirty barbarian.

The first stacks I met were really dangerous, many horse archers. It's important to take out the phylakes daoi and the other archers / slingers first. The stacks I faced towards the end of the 15-year war were crappy, basically Komatai hordes and celtic levies. The last Getian was executed in Veldideno in Raetia.

Good to hear the Macedonian fist closed in on that little area

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Getic blood bath, pointers.

Yeah, the inevitable penalty that befalls all enemies of the Dark Empire!