Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugs Bunny

Default Bugs Bunny

Tell me, what is so good or funny about the bunny? What is so good about the cartoons in which he is displayed?

He is not funny. His cartoons are not funny. And his line "Ehhhh... what's up, doc?" is stupid and overused (and it is not funny).

Bugs Bunny's character is also terrible: he is a sadist bunny who enjoys tormenting others. Who invented the schmuck?

Bugs Bunny should never have existed. His cartoons should never have been. Him and his cartoons, every trace of it all, must cease to exist.

[hypnosis]
    You don't like Bugs Bunny. You dislike him. You hate him. You are in accordance with everything I have uttered. You will form a force to eliminate everything that represents Bugs Bunny whereafter you will erect an honourable statue of me.
    [/hypnosis]
    [/rant]

Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bugs Bunny

He's a character for little kids.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

As long as you're going to pick on beloved childrens' characters, why not attack Spongebob and Toy Story while you're at it? Surely you must have some logical reservations to Mister Krabbs and Squidward ...

I always liked Bugs Bunny.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

It's over 60 years old, there are more terrible things from that time.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    I always liked Bugs Bunny.
    same
    nor am i ashamed to admit it
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

lol, Bugs Bunny was a little too "mean", I'll admit. The people at WB had twisted minds. :P BB is a funny character, and most of his cartoons are good. DD and RR are a lot funnier in my opinion, but I see no objection to Bugs.

Vuk
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Post Re: Bugs Bunny

Bugs Bunny isn't that bad, although I do agree, he isn't funny (although the matter of whether his is supposed to be a humorous character is an item up for debate). I think that calling him a sadist, though, is a little extreme - the program is slapstick, something which children peculiarly tend to enjoy watching.

Modern entertainment also has it's flaws however. Although these programs may be less violent, some are simply plain disgusting and teach children totally unacceptable habits. If I had any children of my own, which I don't, and am glad of it, I would rather bring them up on a diet of Bugs Bunny than the irksome drivel we get on our television screens nowadays.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 08-13-2007 at 18:33.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

In every case I can think of, Bugs was just protecting himself or his home. Elmer Fudd was always trying to kill him. Yosemite Sam was always robbing, stealing or cheating someone. Construction workers were always trying to destroy his home to build a freeway. Mad scientists and Martians were trying to take over the world. Daffy Duck was always scheming something. See, what Bugs was doing to others was nowhere near as bad as the things they wanted to do to him. The other guy just got what they deserved. What's wrong with that?

BTW, Bugs Bunny is hysterical.

Bijo, this one is for you: Bugs Bunny...on Family Guy.
    This space intentionally left blank

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omanes Alexandrapolites
    If I had any children of my own, which I don't, and am glad of it, I would rather bring them up on a diet of Bugs Bunny than the irksome drivel we get on our television screens nowadays.
    Another Spongebob hater, eh?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

There is a outdoor concert arena around here that does a Bugs Bunny concert every year. The National Symphony Orchestra plays the tunes, while they show the cartoons on a big screen. Just did 2 nights, Aug 3rd and 4th.
    http://www.readexpress.com/read_free...the_wabbit.php
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    In every case I can think of, Bugs was just protecting himself or his home. Elmer Fudd was always trying to kill him. Yosemite Sam was always robbing, stealing or cheating someone. Construction workers were always trying to destroy his home to build a freeway. Mad scientists and Martians were trying to take over the world. Daffy Duck was always scheming something. See, what Bugs was doing to others was nowhere near as bad as the things they wanted to do to him. The other guy just got what they deserved. What's wrong with that?

BTW, Bugs Bunny is hysterical.

Bijo, this one is for you: Bugs Bunny...on Family Guy.
    Heh heh! A good find :) FINALLY Bugs Bunny was destroyed on the screen by Fudd. And he made sure he was rendered dead as he twisted the neck. Good. Good riddance.

Still, what BB did is sadist. He fled from the hunter, certainly, but did he get what he deserve? The hunter simply wishes to kill the (stupid) wabbit using a good shot; for BB to provide what Fudd deserves it takes death (or perhaps many deaths as BB keeps living even if he has been perforated by many blasts from Fudd's gun) instead of playing foolish games, acting sad to emotionally appeal to (the foolish) Fudd whereafter he somehow takes advantage of him, etcetera.

Anyway, the old BB is so repetitive and predictable: when you've seen one it is unnecessary to see the others.

Ya know which character was funny? Sylvester the cat. Also the presentation was splendid (especially the music). BB is just... just... argh.

---

No.

---

Any videos of Spongebob getting shot? Preferably more than once.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Bugs Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    Him and his cartoons, every trace of it all, must cease to exist.
    Completely unrelated to BB: Why is it, Bijo, that everything that you don't like that is illogical must cease to exist, must disappear, should be changed? I've been wondering about that.

There are a billion things I don't like, movies, tv shows, cartoon characters, English grammatical oddities, people, whatever. But they don't bother me. I'll go look somewhere else for my fun and am perfectly fine with other people having their own preferences.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Default Re: Re : Bugs Bunny

Bijo, you must have seen the Bugs Bunny game review by AVGN have you?

I always wanted Daffy to kill BB though.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Bijo is full of Tanatos.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

If bugs bunny were real and I met him I would want a large gun.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

I shall love him and hug him and squeeze him and call him George.

Not funny? Gah.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    There are a billion things I don't like, movies, tv shows, cartoon characters, English grammatical oddities, people, whatever. But they don't bother me. I'll go look somewhere else for my fun and am perfectly fine with other people having their own preferences.
    I simply enjoy criticizing and ranting about commercial products. That's it. And I have been known to rant beautifully about certain things: I must honour it and keep those who enjoy my ranting happy (online and offline) :P

Quote Originally Posted by GG
    Bijo, you must have seen the Bugs Bunny game review by AVGN have you?

I always wanted Daffy to kill BB though.
    I have indeed. It was a most satisfactory display :) The stupid wabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Garcilaso
    Bijo is full of Tanatos.
    Why?

---

No.

---

Post Re: Bugs Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Another Spongebob hater, eh?
    That's among my hates, yes. Certain programs I do find much worse, however. Fortunately, the majority of such programs are confined to Britian, so those lucky enough to reside in America do not get to see such vulgar behaviour demonstrated on a television screen.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    There is a outdoor concert arena around here that does a Bugs Bunny concert every year. The National Symphony Orchestra plays the tunes, while they show the cartoons on a big screen. Just did 2 nights, Aug 3rd and 4th.
    http://www.readexpress.com/read_free...the_wabbit.php
    Talking about Bugs Bunny concerts, his creators made one of the best cartoons of all time. Not exactly a commercial product, but a work of love, made in their own time and on their own initiative after their contract work was done.

O mighty warrior of great fighting stock
    Might I enquire to ask thee, what's up doc?

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Bugs Bunny was never amongst my favourite cartoons, I preferred Tom & Jerry.

Spongebob is pretty awesome.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian
    Talking about Bugs Bunny concerts, his creators made one of the best cartoons of all time. Not exactly a commercial product, but a work of love, made in their own time and on their own initiative after their contract work was done.

O mighty warrior of great fighting stock
    Might I enquire to ask thee, what's up doc?
    Spear and Magic Helmet!

Definitely one of my favs, and they definitely do that one during the concert. Along with another great, The Rabbit of Seville.
    I didn't know they did What's Opera, Doc on their own time, your LooneyTunes knowledge impresses.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    Spear and Magic Helmet!

Definitely one of my favs, and they definitely do that one during the concert. Along with another great, The Rabbit of Seville.
    I didn't know they did What's Opera, Doc on their own time, your LooneyTunes knowledge impresses.
    Strictly speaking, it was done as part of a bloc of cartoons that had a budget and time allocated en bloc. They rushed a couple of other jobs either side of it, and used the time and money saved from them to do What's Opera Doc?

Source

50 glorious years of 'kill da wabbit'
    'What's Opera, Doc?,' a cartoon that would likely never be made today, celebrates golden anniversary

Jul 08, 2007, STEVE WATT

At any other time, the film would not have been made. Imagine the pitch: "Let's steal time and funding from our other projects so we can go way over budget making a cartoon with no jokes, and no real gags. The score will be a German opera. Kids won't get it. Most adults won't get it, but I don't care because I think it's funny."

Fortunately, the time was 1956, the director was Chuck Jones, and the place was the Warners Bros. backlot animation studio dubbed "Termite Terrace." The result – released 50 years ago this week – was "What's Opera, Doc?," voted by animators in the 1994 book The 50 Greatest Cartoons: As Selected by 1,000 Animation Professionals to be the greatest cartoon of all time.

It is the antithesis of the routine cartoon. In place of snappy one-liners we see Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny singing their parts with complete sincerity and commitment. The backgrounds are beautifully textured paintings. The score is powerful and moving. Bugs cuts a striking figure in a metallic brassiere before Madonna was even born. It's audacious and decadent and beautiful and bold and everything the vast majority of cartoons would never dare to be.

Years later, it was my immense pleasure to meet Chuck and spend several hours with him. Never before, and never since, have I encountered someone as smart, funny, passionate and wry, all rolled into one delightful and charming package. I can only imagine the magic at work as he and fellow geniuses Friz Freleng, Bob Clampett, Mike Maltese, Maurice Noble, Mel Blanc, Carl Stalling and a host of others created thousands (yes, thousands) of cartoons featuring history's greatest ensemble cast.

Chuck told me he and his team of writers and animators never saw themselves as making cartoons for anyone but themselves. Months, and sometimes years, passed before their work ended up in theatres, and by then they had made so many new cartoons public reaction just wasn't on their radar. It was because they made cartoons to humour themselves, and because studio executives didn't much care what they did so long as they stayed on time and on budget, that "What's Opera, Doc?" was possible.

The key was placing it between two Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoons in the production schedule. Formulaic by design, those ones could be done fast and cheap. Knock off the Coyote films ahead of schedule and under budget, reallocate the time and money to "What's Opera, Doc?" so the overall budgets remained intact, and voila! A masterpiece created right under the noses of studio executives who would have vetoed the idea long before Elmer Fudd could have raised his spear and donned his magic helmet.

A few years ago, when I staged a tribute to Chuck and his incredible body of work, showing 15 of his greatest cartoons on the big screen as they were originally meant to be seen, it wasn't "What's Opera, Doc?" that got the biggest reaction, initially. The nearly 500 people in attendance gave their most enthusiastic reaction to the opening credits of "One Froggy Evening" featuring Michigan J. Frog, and "Rabbit of Seville," the famous Bugs Bunny-Elmer Fudd barbershop ditty. Both great cartoons, to be sure, and both on any animation historian's top 10. The interesting thing was that for weeks afterward, people told me how moved they were by "What's Opera, Doc?" Some had never seen it before. Others had seen it on TV, but absent the big screen and big sound, they had failed to fall under its spell. Seeing it that day, the way audiences first saw it in 1957, they were enthralled.

That's what makes "What's Opera, Doc?" the greatest cartoon ever, and that is why a piece of such grandeur will never be repeated.

That's not to say good work hasn't been done in recent years. The laughs are plentiful with The Simpsons in its heyday, Family Guy most of the time, and South Park when they find that sweet spot between satire and absurdity. On the big screen, Pixar tells stories as captivating as the greatest Disney epics of the past, and pulls the viewer into spectacular and compelling worlds.

They are all great in their own way, but they are to be expected. Animated sitcoms are supposed to be funny and irreverent and mildly scandalous. Feature films are supposed to have rich character development, radio-worthy songs, and captivating storylines. Bugs Bunny cartoons are not supposed to feature a lisping Viking rabbit hunter enthusiastically professing his operatic love for a bunny in drag.

These days, cartoons are made for the small screen, for syndication, for licensing, for Happy Meal toys and theme park rides. Gone are the days when someone like Chuck could trick the system and go on a flight of fancy to animation immortality with such a hugely impractical and absolutely beautiful film.

No one who knows and loves "What's Opera, Doc?" will ever hear Wagner's "Der Ring des Nibelungen" without hearing, in their own minds, "Kill da wabbit . . . kill da wabbit." While classical music aficionados may be offended by that fact, I'm okay with it. More than okay with it.

What's Opera, Doc? and The Rabbit of Seville are just classic! Bugs and Elmer at their best.
    This space intentionally left blank

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmph. Call me a barbarian but I find them most entertaining when Daffy is thrown in the mix as well.

Rabbit Fire, Rabbit Seasoning, and my favorite Looney Tunes cartoon of all time, Duck! Rabbit! Duck! are the height of animated excellence.

"Wabbit Season!"

"Duck Season!"

"Wabbit Season!"

"Duck Season!"

"Wabbit Season!"

"Wabbit Season!"

"Duck Season! FIRE!!!"

...and Daffy gets his head blown off. Always hilarious.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 08-15-2007 at 00:58.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    As long as you're going to pick on beloved childrens' characters, why not attack Spongebob and Toy Story while you're at it?
    Ah but Spongebob serves a practical purpose. He can soak stuff up.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    Hmph. Call me a barbarian but I find them most entertaining when Daffy is thrown in the mix as well.

Rabbit Fire, Rabbit Seasoning, and my favorite Looney Tunes cartoon of all time, Duck! Rabbit! Duck! are the height of animated excellence.

"Wabbit Season!"

"Duck Season!"

"Wabbit Season!"

"Duck Season!"

"Wabbit Season!"

"Wabbit Season!"

"Duck Season! FIRE!!!"

Ah, the classic. I always enjoyed Daffy getting his bill blown off. Especially when he unwittingly is the cause of it.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief

"Wabbit Season!"

"Duck Season!"

"Wabbit Season!"

"Duck Season!"

"Wabbit Season!"

"Wabbit Season!"

"Duck Season! FIRE!!!"

LOL!!!! i loved that short! (and still do) we got the entire bugs bunny collection a few years ago and every time, they make me laugh!
    shame on you Bijo for disgracing the bunny!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast