Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Attacks its Biggest Enemy: Windows XP

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Thumbs up Microsoft Attacks its Biggest Enemy: Windows XP

This is kinda hilarious.

Microsoft starts a "Get the Facts" campaign...against itself

You've got to hand it to Microsoft. It hates ANYTHING and ANYONE that gets in its way of selling its software.

Including, apparently, itself.

In a very funny turn of events, Microsoft is out preaching to the industry that XP is a bloated expense hog, while svelte Vista will cure world hunger (or, at least, cost less), as Paul Krill notes:

According to research conducted by Wipro and GCR Custom Research, total cost of ownership for Windows XP is $4,407 annually, while Vista's cost is $3,802. The $4,407 figure was derived from costs of hardware, software, IT labor, and user costs....

Peculiarly, the study actually was based on XP usage and extrapolations based on Vista capabilities because there was not a substantial base of Vista clients in use yet when the study was done early in 2007....

Reducing vulnerabilities and utilizing security policies presents savings, noted Bill Barna, principal consultant at Wipro. Security savings alone were estimated at $55. "If you can reduce the number of core vulnerabilities, you can basically have the savings flow throughout the entire security model," Barna said.

Imagine the kind of savings you could get if you just stopped using Windows altogether! Few to no security issues. Less administration. Etc.

By the way, the study claims that switching to Vista saves on hardware costs. How could this possibly be, when everything I have ever read on Vista is that it is a resource hog? You spend more on hardware with Vista, not less.

Anyway, Microsoft must really be hurting if it has to resort to beating up on its most stable product in years. It's clearly desperate to get people to move off XP (you know, the Windows OS that actually has hardware/peripheral support, a lot of software written for it, needs a lighter hardware platform, etc.). Maybe the open-source crowd should just wait for Microsoft to beat itself into oblivion.

Default Re: Microsoft Attacks its Biggest Enemy: Windows XP

What next, a 'ditch Vista: get Vista SP1' campaign?!?!
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

While I like Vista, XP is still better, and it will remain like that.

But still, M$, come onn...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Considering companies pay the same yearly fee for whatever OS of MS they run... this report and the way it is handled doesn't make sense on several levels... the hardware requirements being the obvious lie... I wonder if anyone in MS had shown that this consultancy is obviously making up alot of its outcomes...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

While I agree with you that some or all of the information is probably wrong, I think companies advertising their new products in a way that makes their older stuff look worse is not that new.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    While I agree with you that some or all of the information is probably wrong, I think companies advertising their new products in a way that makes their older stuff look worse is not that new.
    Deja vu - pretty much everything being said about Vista today was also being said about XP when it was released. e.g. "bloated", "resource hog" etc. It turned out that with all the cartoonish themes disabled, animated effects and 50% of the unnecessary, mostly networking related, services (that are mainly only of use to corporate users) disabled, XP was basically only a "Win2K update".

Back then XP was heavily criticised with many PC users "sticking with 2K/98SE". Now we find that "its most stable product in years... ...(you know, the Windows OS that actually has hardware/peripheral support, a lot of software written for it, needs a lighter hardware platform, etc.)". So after 2 service packs and a few years, XP went from insecure "bloatware" to "stable" and needing a "lighter platform".

I actually remember the same being said about Win98 and Win2k by users upgrading from Win95 and WinNT. In fact the system requirements for M$ OS have shown a fairly steep upward curve over the years, so this scenario is really nothing new.

Win95
    Processor: 386DX or higher processor (486 recommended)
    RAM: 4MB
    Hard Drive Space: 50-55 MB
    VGA or higher resolution (256-color SVGA recommended)

WinNT
    Processor: 486 25MHz or faster
    RAM:12MB
    Hard Drive Space: 124MB
    Video: VGA (Video Graphics Array)

Win98
    Processor 486DX 66MHz or faster
    RAM: 16M
    Hard Drive Space: 140 MB - 255 MB
    VGA or higher resolution (16-bit or 24-bit color SVGA recommended).

Win2K
    Processor: Pentium-compatible 133MHz
    RAM: 64MB
    Hard Drive Space: 2GB hard disk with a minimum of 650 MB of free space. (Additional free hard disk space is required if you are installing over a network.)

WinXP
    Processor: Intel Pentium/Celeron family or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family 233MHz or faster
    RAM: 128MB
    Hard Drive Space: 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space

Vista
    Processor: 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    RAM: 512 MB of system memory
    Hard Drive Space: 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
    Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

Personally I won't bother with Vista, not because I hate M$ or prefer Linux, but mainly because I don't see it as having anything to offer me. I expect that is the main reason why sales have slumped. It has taken all these years for people to adjust to XP. What initially a shaky product that had it's fair share of bad press, has eventually matured enough, and is now seen as the old reliable by many.
    Last edited by caravel; 09-09-2007 at 14:22.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel
    Deja vu - pretty much everything being said about Vista today was also being said about XP when it was released. e.g. "bloated", "resource hog" etc.
    I did not have that experience. I was using Win2K at the time, and I asked my early-adopter friends what they thought of XP. Their reviews were universally positive. Even my favorite techno-curmudgeon, a real grumpy old geek, gave it a thumbs-up. Win2K with way better driver support was the general consensus.

So from my perspective, equating the releases rings false.

That's so funny.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Win XP > Vista.

Once they release a service pack or two, and i start hearing people give it all around good reviews, THEN i'll consider buying it. [No discussion of intent to do the forbidden dance, please.-- Lemur]

Until then, i'll stick with my nice stable XP.
    Last edited by Lemur; 09-09-2007 at 21:53.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    I did not have that experience. I was using Win2K at the time, and I asked my early-adopter friends what they thought of XP. Their reviews were universally positive. Even my favorite techno-curmudgeon, a real grumpy old geek, gave it a thumbs-up. Win2K with way better driver support was the general consensus.

So from my perspective, equating the releases rings false.
    From your perspective that may be the case. Though from the perspective of many others it was clearly not so. Pre SP1 XP was bug ridden and full of holes, it took SP2 to really sort things out. Win2K and Win98 users were not happy to see XP hogging the CPU with it's fancy effects, themes service and other added bloat.

I agree with Caravel, i remember a lot of people complaining about XP back in the day. Now they behave like it always was the holy grail and will always be the holy grail. I don't remember having any big problems with XP, it was a lot better than 98, ME etc though some people still see 98 SE or so as the holy grail of all windows versions.

And to be honest, I realized computers are nothing to buy and keep for ten years until you replace them so if anyone is bothered by a hardware requirement of a 1GHz CPU then I'm inclined to say that person has no idea how the computer industry works. It's an expensive hobby but like all hobbies, it's a matter of money and priority.

That's probably different if you use a computer only/mainly for work but then some work Pcs you get to see don't run very well anymore either and HDDs etc can just stop functioning after a while anyway.

I used Windows 2000 for a long time before I finally used XP. I don't even remember why I turned to XP, whether it was necessity or fancier graphics (or both). Probably both but more necessity than eye candy due to games probably supporting 2k less and less. When I think of it I wish I still used 2k all this time and that all the games would still run on it today. It's all NT anyway with some upgraded stuff here and there.

And when I have a quick skim through this, heheheh... Well, we more or less know the criticisms regarding Vista, but reading that simple list makes me view Vista as "something that is constructed by the devil (if there is a devil of course)"

But in any case, it will probably be the case that XP will be "rendered outdated" in some years, and in these years it is fair to assume Vista will have become an acceptable standard much like XP has become one and 2k before it, and so on. Until then or if otherwise necessitated I shall maintain my possession and utilization of XP.

What Microsoft has been stating in the provided article is... well, I don't want to go into too much detail, ...I'll take the easy way: it's Microsoft *runs off*
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

IMO, it wasn't until SP2 that XP had gotten right "right". It was the clear choice over both Win2000 and 98SE for workstations. For 2000 users, it had better driver support, ect and for 98SE users, it offered the much improved NTFS (compared to FAT32), as well as far superior process management.

So... what does Vista have that users want? Oh right, a lower TCO.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Just an attempt by Micro$$$oft to try to make some bucks off a rather OS. While it's not as pathetic as Sony's attempts to push the PS3 forward, it is kind of annoying.

I like XP. I works. Hell, 98 still works. Also, I don't like it when companies try to shove their new OS in my face. It looks nice, IMO, but I don't need it just yet.

Wait a couple of years and Microsoft will forget all about XP and start cursing Vista for its instability, lack of backwards compatibility, and poor driver quality. It's all a process.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Microsoft Attacks its Biggest Enemy: Windows XP....

and can't even do that right!
    Bowing to pressure from customers and computer makers, Microsoft plans to keep Windows XP around a little longer.

Large PC manufacturers were slated to have to stop selling XP after January 31. However, they have successfully lobbied Microsoft to allow them to continue selling PCs with all flavors of Windows XP preloaded until June 30, a further five months. Microsoft also plans to keep XP on retail shelves longer and will allow computer makers in emerging markets to build machines with Windows XP Starter Edition until June 2010.

The move indicates the continued demand for the older operating system, some nine months after Windows Vista hit store shelves.

XP4EVAR!11!one!!eleven1!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    Microsoft Attacks its Biggest Enemy: Windows XP....

and can't even do that right!
    Bowing to pressure from customers and computer makers, Microsoft plans to keep Windows XP around a little longer.

Large PC manufacturers were slated to have to stop selling XP after January 31. However, they have successfully lobbied Microsoft to allow them to continue selling PCs with all flavors of Windows XP preloaded until June 30, a further five months. Microsoft also plans to keep XP on retail shelves longer and will allow computer makers in emerging markets to build machines with Windows XP Starter Edition until June 2010.

The move indicates the continued demand for the older operating system, some nine months after Windows Vista hit store shelves.

XP4EVAR!11!one!!eleven1!
    Further evidence that people just don't want Vista.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

I ordered my new PC with XP... woo hoo!
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I went to a Vista meeting, where they showed us what the good things and bad things were about Vista.

Well, from that meeting and experience with friends, I'd rather spend the money on a Vista that
    1. Has the bugs fixed
    2. Requires less memory.

The interface was cool, but if it keeps crashing then why get it?
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

My Vista didnt crash so far, except that a system restore totally destroyed my stuff until I had to undo the restore...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

My vista has been generally stable....it's never "crashed"....it does hog a lot more ram, that much is obvious, and the cancel/allow crap can get a little annoying.

I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone speak of DX 10. It's light-years ahead of DX 9c. There is really no comparison.

I still have XP on my gaming rig, but I will be updating to Vista by next year, when I get around to buying a DX 10 capable video card.
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

What I noticed lately in Vista was that it uses around 41% of my 2GB RAM after startup. Then, after playing Mount&Blade and exiting the game, the RAM usage was around 21% and didn't go up again, swap file was the same size IIRC. So my guess is that it loads a lot of stuff on startup but reduces it's RAM usage when needed elsewhere. Might still use more than XP but my games run fine anyway.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

This is the only recent Vista thread I could find, so I'll post here.

So, what with a DX10 patch coming out for FSX in about two months, and my addiction to flightsims with Haagen-Dazs eye-candy, as well as a recent PC Gamer article that said a lot of what was broken with Vista has been fixed, I'm considering, well, you know...

Aside for the Chicken Little stuff, and assuming I have adequate specs to run it (Vista + DX10), which I think I do, is it really as bad as everyone says to get it?

Also, If I back up all my stuff on an external HD, and those backups are done under XP, will Vista take them back in or leave them on the doorstop?

Also Pt:II, I have a brand new version of XP on my rig that I got about two months ago. If I Vista-ize, can I install my "old" XP on another machine that I want to set my buddy up with? Will it authorize online?

Thanks.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

Hmmm, sounds like a slippery slope legally. I would look at canadian copyright laws maybe? Or microsofts site?

I really have had no problems whatsoever with my Vista. Aside from a few older programs not running, I fail to see why it has gotten such a bad rap.

I don't remember one OS coming out that was completely bug-free...
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsiuv
    Hmmm, sounds like a slippery slope legally. I would look at canadian copyright laws maybe? Or microsofts site?
    So if I "upgrade" to Vista, my two months old $120 XP disk is a drink coaster? Bummer.

I'll look into the copyright stuff. Thanks.

**Edit - From the Win XP EULA at the MS site.

13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.

So unless I'm mistaken, I can off my copy to my buddy and put the cash towards Vista.
    Last edited by Beirut; 10-05-2007 at 03:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    Also Pt:II, I have a brand new version of XP on my rig that I got about two months ago. If I Vista-ize, can I install my "old" XP on another machine that I want to set my buddy up with? Will it authorize online?

Thanks.
    So long as you give him the license number, the # on yon sticker somewhere on ye rig case. And that Vista upgrade pack comes with a new Vista only license number. If all those things come together. then yes.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by lars573
    So long as you give him the license number, the # on yon sticker somewhere on ye rig case. And that Vista upgrade pack comes with a new Vista only license number. If all those things come together. then yes.
    I think technically, if you buy the upgrade version of Vista, you're supposed to have a valid copy of XP that you upgraded from, as well. You'd need it regardless if you ever had to reinstall, because I believe you always need to install XP first and then upgrade it. However, if you buy the full blown version of Vista, I wouldn't sweat it.

*I'm not a lawyer.... yada yada.
    -Abraham Lincoln

I'm with Xiahou, I'd advise you to get the full version, not the upgrade. In that case there should be no problem giving your XP to someone else.

Concerning how bad Vista is, I'm thinking about abandoning XP completely. Pretty much the only reason I kept dual-booting was that my TV card and one or two games I played ran better/only in XP. Now I have two TV cards, one doesn't find half the important programs anymore and the software of the other crashes at startup.

Anyway, most decent programs should run fine in Vista, the bugs are almost nonexistant as far as my experience goes and erm, it's just like XP only nicer.

My last advice is get Home Premium, only if you feel rich and think you need a lot of stuff you may never use anyway should you get Ultimate.

A Vista update.

My (new) computer dude (he owns three computer stores), the one who sold me my new rig, refuses to either sell me Vista or install it.

What a riot.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Would I still be able to play my music collection on Vista? I get some music from my friends, so it's not all...ahem...licensed...

I have erm, one MP3 file that was sent to me by a friend, seems to be encoded with Lame and works fine, apart from that I just "ripped" some song from RTW and that works as well, haven't had any problems so far but then all my other music is copied from CD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast