Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Film Sequences

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Default Re: Greatest Film Sequences

Pulp Fiction - When Butch Coolidge (Bruce Willis) is selecting which weapon to take on the rapists in the basement. Hammer, Baseball bat, Chainsaw... the katana. And the way he looks at it... should have figured Taratino would make a flick or two focusing on that obsession.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

The part in Terminator 2 when Schwarzenegger is destroyed.

The part in Terminator 1 when Schwarzenegger is destroyed :P

The part in Close Encounters of the Third Kind with the ships getting close and actually seeing what the hell is going on there.

The scene in Gladiator when the old Caesar is destroyed.

The part in Pulp Fiction where they go into that restaurant and dance. Also the part where Mia is receiving a shot. Oh, and also the part where what's-his-name-again -- the officer -- tells young Butch about the war, his father and the watch.

The ending parts of Star Wars 5. It is almost perfect.

The buildup to and the creation of Darth Vader in Star Wars 3. Even though parts 1 to 3 are frowned upon, it was very exciting to see what led to Darth Vader. Could've been better, but meh...
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Since we appear to be allowing Star Wars (why, I don't know, as I agree with Harrison Ford's pithy rejoinder on viewing George Lucas' "prose") I have to humbly submit for the Trekkies among us:

The sequence of Spock's death at the end of "The Wrath of Khan". If you were attached to the characters of TOS at all, it was very harrowing and emotional.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    Oh, and also the part where what's-his-name-again -- the officer -- tells young Butch about the war, his father and the watch.
    Of all the great scenes in ****************. It's my favorite in the movie as well.

Other Walken goodness, the russian roulette scene in ******************

(Discretion, please - Beirut)
    Last edited by Beirut; 01-18-2008 at 19:55.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Cool Re: Greatest Film Sequences

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost
    The sequence of Spock's death at the end of "The Wrath of Khan". If you were attached to the characters of TOS at all, it was very harrowing and emotional.
    And that death was totally denied any long lasting glory when he was resurrected in the name of the franchise dollar in the Search for Spock only made worse by it being an odd numbered film.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Why the hell didn't I think of the Deer Hunter...? Another good sequence was also when they were still captured and they had to play Russian roulette. This guy yells at them "Atau, atau!" (poorly phonetically written of course)

---

The opening sequence of Indiana Jones 1. It builds up and builds up to a climax and then provides relief.

The opening sequence of Indiana Jones 2. It builds up and builds up to a climax and then provides relief :P

In The Untouchables the scene at the station with the gunfight, the woman and her kid, and the stairs.

The opening sequence of Airplane!

The title sequence of Dr. Strangelove and the ending parts building up to the downfall of the world (especially the scene where Strangelove is shown suffering from the alien hand syndrome) and when you see how the bomber commander falls through the air sitting on the released nuclear bomb.

(Edited quote - Beirut)
    Last edited by Beirut; 01-18-2008 at 19:55.

---

No.

---

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    And that death was totally denied any long lasting glory when he was resurrected in the name of the franchise dollar in the Search for Spock only made worse by it being an odd numbered film.
    I don't disagree, but at the time, with no knowledge that was going to happen, it was a very powerful scene - at least for me. And even watching now, I can still recall that impact.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost

My favourite scene is when Chekov is rescued and he tearfully tells Kirk that "They put things in our ears Captain" in a really bad russian accent - now that is classic
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Taxi Driver - You talking to me?
    Supposedly, this scene was all improvised.
    Language warning
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(Discretion, please - Beirut)
    Last edited by Beirut; 01-18-2008 at 19:56.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Yeah, that's a good one from Taxi Driver. One of my favourites.

Another good sequence is in Goodfellas when Joe Pesci gets all messed up when they're having a drink in the bar. They all laugh like hell, then at some point he jumps Ray Liotta.

---

No.

---

Pesci's character was based on Tommy DeSimone, who had definite mental problems. They wrote him to be very unpredictable, you never knew what would set him off.

On Rob Reiner's lighter side, the Battle of Wits from Princess Bride. It spawned it's own meme, so it must be good.

(Discretion please - Beirut)
    Last edited by Beirut; 01-18-2008 at 19:57.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Gentlemen,

Kindly refrain from posting links to videos with brain spattering gunshots and multiple F-Bombs. Goodness knows both are entertaining in their own right, but they are not suitable here.

Thanks.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Oh come on, Tree Killer: cut us some slack, will ya?

I'm trying very hard to avoid BG's and Pape's Star Trek talk, by the way, 'cause I ain't seen ANY of those movies yet.

---

Another good sequence from Goodfellas is the one where Liotta and the woman enter this place (restaurant, entertainment, etc.) through the kitchen entrance. Forgot how long it took but that's one long shot they had there.

Also the one where Spider got hit. What a vile unpredictable scene... or scenes even.

---

No.

---

Apologies.

May I edit back in the movie names/scenes, just without the YouTube links?

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

That's what I did, drone, all the while gibbering in mindless fear. Fortunately there are no f-bombs or blood in my roller-skating ninjas clip. Which is, by the way, the best movie scene evar.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone

On Rob Reiner's lighter side, the Battle of Wits from Princess Bride. It spawned it's own meme, so it must be good.

Also from the Princess bride:
    "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Also, basically any scene from "Forrest Gump" is a good one.

The scene in "the Blues Brothers" where Belushi takes off his sunglasses.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Professional Cynic Member Innocentius's Avatar

The long one-take scene just outside The Room in Stalker.

Or really just any scene from Stalker...
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Which Stalker are you talking about? The only one on IMDB I can find is this, and I don't think that's what you mean.

Why, Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker of course

Which is probably the best movie I've ever seen, by the way.
    Last edited by Innocentius; 01-19-2008 at 19:05.
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

- Dylan Moran

The Play

The rail chase scene in The Temple of Doom.

When young Skywalker discovers a certain truth about Darth Vader in Star Wars after his hand was chopped off.

The lightsabre battle between young Skywalker and Vader before the Emperor as Luke is slowly being driven to the dark side. Especially when he gets very aggressive and almost takes down Vader the beautiful dramatic music starts.

When the back of Vader's head is seen as he sits in his chamber.

When Vader's true face is shown.

---

No.

---

I could've sworn I saw the actor playing Darth Vader (In Ep 3) appear in the Special Edition of the Jedi's Return.

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

There have been some very good scenes mention and I can think of many more like Steve McQueen in Papillion when he is arranging the escape and meets the leper smoking the cigar and he hesitantly takes a puff of the leper’s cigar.
    The leper says “How did you know I was dry?” He didn’t; cool Steve move.

My most memorial movie scene from to Kill a Mockingbird is at the end of Tom Robinson’s trial and the courtroom is empty except the balcony where black members of the community remained.
    Atticus Finch lost the trial for an innocent black man, dejected he slowly walks out of the courtroom. The people remaining in the balcony all stand showing their respect for him has he walks out. Powerful stuff.

The final scene of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, when Chief talks to McMurphy after his lobotomy, smothers him out of mercy, and breaks out. "You're coming with me". Bonus points for a young Christopher Lloyd cackling like a maniac and getting typecast as a loon for the rest of his career (not really a bad thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Fahad I
    I could've sworn I saw the actor playing Darth Vader (In Ep 3) appear in the Special Edition of the Jedi's Return.
    Probably at the end when you see him as a ghostly figure at the sides of Yoda and Obi-Wan.

---

No.

---

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Greatest Film Sequences

Anybody mentioned the scene at the embassy in the 1956 The Man Who Knew Too Much?

Que sera sera, whatever will be will be
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

My selection for the greatest sequence ever filmed is the one on the river at the end of Way Down East (1920). I would not suggest watching a clip of this sequence out of context because it's much more effective when viewed within the context of the movie which features a remarkable performance by Lillian Gish.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    The final scene of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, when Chief talks to McMurphy after his lobotomy, smothers him out of mercy, and breaks out. "You're coming with me". Bonus points for a young Christopher Lloyd cackling like a maniac and getting typecast as a loon for the rest of his career (not really a bad thing).
    That is a very depressing film. Especially that woman nurse and her... idiot "hernchmen" as I call them are disturbing ones.

---

No.

---

In Indiana Jones:

- the scene in part 1 where a sword fighter stands ready to engage him in battle, but Indy quickly shoots him and is done with it.

- in part 1 when the evil German torturer (/information extractor) -- whose name is Toht I think -- enters the tent and holds an object that looks like a torturing device. While the suspenseful evil music plays you look at it as he puts it together and you expect a terrible wretched event to happen, but soon you find out it's only a coat hanger. Damn good gag.

- the scene where Indy uses the ancient stick to pinpoint the digging location.

In Cast Away, when Tom Hanks loses the football.

---

No.

---

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast