Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jailbreak in Gaza

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Cool Jailbreak in Gaza

And the walls came tumbling down.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/...aza/index.html

The Israelis were starving the population of Gaza, depriving them of food and fuel, so the Palestinians did what people should do when locked up illegally - they broke out.

If the other Arab countries have any brains at all, they'll ship supplies to the Palestinians right away, but that might be expecting too much. In any case, this is a wonderful taste of freedom for a people who have had their freedom stolen from them for generations.

I'm sure right now Israel feels just like the Soviets did when they saw the first part of the wall coming down and their prisoner-peoples getting a taste of freedom. They must be going bonkers.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Re: Jailbreak in Gaza

Good for them.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    And the walls came tumbling down.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/...aza/index.html

The Israelis were starving the population of Gaza, depriving them of food and fuel, so the Palestinians did what people should do when locked up illegally - they broke out.

If the other Arab countries have any brains at all, they'll ship supplies to the Palestinians right away, but that might be expecting too much. In any case, this is a wonderful taste of freedom for a people who have had their freedom stolen from them for generations.

I'm sure right now Israel feels just like the Soviets did when they saw the first part of the wall coming down and their prisoner-peoples getting a taste of freedom. They must be going bonkers.
    Sorry, Beirut, I missed when the East Berliners were blowing up Soviet school children and when the Poles continually fired rockets into suburbs in Moscow. Could you refresh my memory there, or was that analogy simply for dramatic affect?
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

But then I imagine the East Berliners and Poles weren't treated as badly as the Palestinians by the Israelis with supplies being cut, economy starved and brought to collapse with little hope of ever restoring it, daily raids with innocent civilians as casualties, airstrikes, and kidnapping of government officials.
    Controlling the media to make their actions harmless as opposed to the oppressed was done in either event I believe.
    On the other hand my history of that era isn't all that great either.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

I can imagine this kind of approach being of more use to Palestinian propaganda than firing mortars into Israel.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Sorry, Beirut, I missed when the East Berliners were blowing up Soviet school children and when the Poles continually fired rockets into suburbs in Moscow.
    I hear they had their own problems back in the '40s.

Could you refresh my memory there, or was that analogy simply for dramatic affect?
    I's a scoundrel, ain't I?

In any case, the oppressed are free and the oppressors have lost control. I'm loving it!

The problem with this comparison would be that East Berliners had Staatssicherheit and Poles had communists of their own.
    Oh, almost forgot to mention: and those insidious barbaric russkies gave many more lives away in their struggle against communism than any other nation. A sad fact that would be very inconvenient for many people to acknowledge

So, perhaps it is not correct to compare these issues.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Jailbreak in Gaza

I'm sure right now Israel feels just like the Soviets did
    Excellent analogy!

The Soviets never did return the land they took from the Germans sixty years ago. And never will. Nor will the German refugees ever return.

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm sure right now Israel feels just like the Soviets did.
    So the Palestinians are the defeated Nazis, except they still, weekly, launch attacks against the civilians of Israel?

No, wait. I remember now that if one side is defeated in a war they started, they get a free moral pass to kill as many innocents, civilians, and wedding guests as they can for eternity.

You do know that Gaza is cut off because the rulers, Hamas, continually launch rockets into Israel? That if the scum bag terrorists actually ceased trying to kill as many Israeli people as they could, they wouldn't be in this situation? That its their persistence in attempted genocide that has led to their current state?
    The Soviets never did return the land they took from the Germans sixty years ago. And never will. Nor will the German refugees ever return.
    Lol!

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    ...they took from the Germans sixty years ago...
    Oh, dear. One should pity those who's gave his vote for herr hittler. It really had some consequences for them after all

BTW, they were not the only one who took the land from Germany. Winners usually take land from Germany when Germany's losing a war. Elsass-Lothringen would a fine example.
    Last edited by MiniMe; 01-23-2008 at 23:47.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Jailbreak in Gaza

'tis but a joke, MiniMe. Not a political statement about the SU. I's just a scoundrel, teasing Noam 'Beirut' Chomsky a bit.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 01-24-2008 at 02:24.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    So the Palestinians are the defeated Nazis, except they still, weekly, launch attacks against the civilians of Israel?
    Well, it was some future PMs of Israel, not Palestine, who were killing Allied soldiers (like the Nazis did) back in WWII, so I'm not really sure where to go with that. I guess I better stick to South African analogies for Israel from now on, eh? Silly ol' me.

In any case, I hope all this leads to something positive.

Default Re: Re : Jailbreak in Gaza

'tis but a joke, MiniMe. Not a political statement about the SU. I's just a scoundrel, teasing Noah 'Beirut' Chomsky a bit.
    sorry for misreading, my fault entirely. Me got involved in a dispute on .twc recently and must have lost my sense of humor completely.
    Damn, me thought to have enough will to abstain from these mudpit disputes over there! me's an idiot

Default Re: Re : Jailbreak in Gaza

No, wait. I remember now that if one side is defeated in a war they started, they get a free moral pass to kill as many innocents, civilians, and wedding guests as they can for eternity.
    So the Palestinians started the war? Isn't this there land that's now got other people living on?
    You do know that Gaza is cut off because the rulers, Hamas, continually launch rockets into Israel?
    Do you know that they do that because of continious Israeli.. *some pages long of aggravating actions* .. actions.
    That if the scum bag terrorists actually ceased trying to kill as many Israeli people as they could, they wouldn't be in this situation?
    They are just people who are not ok with the loss of their land. Oh.. that's the definition of "scum bag terrorists" there?
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

'Their land'? Why any more so than third-generation Israelis living there now? Whatever it was sixty years ago, it's not theirs now.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, it was some future PMs of Israel, not Palestine, who were killing Allied soldiers (like the Nazis did) back in WWII,
    And are they still doing it to this day?

So the Palestinians started the war? Isn't this there land that's now got other people living on?
    Several Arab nations.

Do you know that they do that because of continious Israeli.. *some pages long of aggravating actions* .. actions.
    Like giving control of Gaza back to Palestinian groups? And by Israeli actions, you mean like trying to stop the ceaseless rocket attacks on their civilians without slaughtering innocents?

They are just people who are not ok with the loss of their land. Oh.. that's the definition of "scum bag terrorists" there?
    Hell yeah it is. Guess maybe they shouldn't have kept on launching wars on Israel, or they would have more land then they do today.

The support of supposedly anti-war types for the Palestinians is mind blowing. But I guess the left just followed the Soviet Union's dictates and haven't stopped.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

'Their land'? Why any more so than third-generation Israelis living there now? Whatever it was sixty years ago, it's not theirs now.
    So you do admit it got "conquered"?
    And basing on that, validate their resistance?
    Several Arab nations.
    Which war you're talking about?
    Like giving control of Gaza back to Palestinian groups? And by Israeli actions, you mean like trying to stop the ceaseless rocket attacks on their civilians without slaughtering innocents?
    No. No.
    Hell yeah it is. Guess maybe they shouldn't have kept on launching wars on Israel, or they would have more land then they do today.
    Define "resistance".. "launch war" ?
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

In threads like this the safest thing to do is

Stop - Drop - and Roll.

I am outta here kids - waaaaayy too hot

(ED runs like the coward he is)
    "My IQ test came back. Thankfully it was negative"

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by x-dANGEr
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Several Arab nations.
    It's also interesting to note that the Palestinians never actually had a nation, and only started claiming that status for themselves in reaction to the foundation of Israel and when surrounding Arab 'brothers' did astonishingly little to take them in. They were perfectly content to leave the Palestinians to fight a proxy war against Israel for their own territorial ambitions, and leave the mess for the rest of the world to sort out.
    Quote Originally Posted by x-dANGEr
    So you do admit it got "conquered"?
    And basing on that, validate their resistance?
    To the first, quite happily. Big mess all around largely caused by the Brits taking over, and the later Israelis capitalized on a situation in which the area was basically up for grabs. To the second, no. Israel is there now and is not going to leave, and is home by now to a native third generation (at least); in my mind that is enough justification for it to take measures against those that attack its sovereignty.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Post Re: Jailbreak in Gaza

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    vs

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe on other foot
    'Their land'? Why any more so than ninety-generation Palestinians living there now? Whatever it was since Roman occupation, it's not theirs now.
    Consider that there are reports of Palestinians tending Olive trees that there ancestors planted and that some of these tress are dying from old age, methinks they may be firmly rooted to their land.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Apartheid. Holocaust references. Facism. Yes, those nasty Israelis deserve all the scorn in the world, don't they Beirut? Why won't they just let those Palestinians blow up children at school and shut up about it? Why won't they just go away? Why won't they just shut up and die?

In all the years of arguing this topic with you, I've never once heard you offer a solution that doesn't coincide with the Palestinian solution... kill all the Israelis. Hmmm, and somehow, the Israelis are the thugs.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

All I know is that the news tonight showed film of Palestinians buying food, getting fuel, and a couple of guys hauling a nice old Honda motorcycle over the remnants of the wall into Gaza. One family was all dressed up, just walking around, enjoying being free for a while.

It looked great!

Apartheid. Holocaust references. Facism. Yes, those nasty Israelis deserve all the scorn in the world, don't they Beirut? Why won't they just let those Palestinians blow up children at school and shut up about it? Why won't they just go away? Why won't they just shut up and die?

In all the years of arguing this topic with you, I've never once heard you offer a solution that doesn't coincide with the Palestinian solution... kill all the Israelis. Hmmm, and somehow, the Israelis are the thugs.
    It's fairly typical. I see it from both sides here actually.

Once again, both sides are at fault. The Israelis are starving the people of Gaza, while the government in Gaza allows and most likely funds rocket attacks in Israel. No one here is really in the right.

I guess pointless bickering about who has the moral high ground works better though than finding a solution.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

they´re both thugs....both sides in that problem have long ago lost the right to call them selfs the "good guys"....I say try to keep the explosions to a minimum...and that´s as good as it´s gonna get.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

All I know is that the news tonight showed film of Palestinians buying food, getting fuel, and a couple of guys hauling a nice old Honda motorcycle over the remnants of the wall into Gaza. One family was all dressed up, just walking around, enjoying being free for a while.

It looked great!
    Yes, I'm sure it did. I don't really think anyone enjoys seeing innocent civilians suffer.

And all I know is:

1) Hamas has admitted they played up the blackout/crackdown aspects http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

and 2) More rockets landed in Israel from Gaza today.

Sorry, unlike you, I don't feel like smiling.

Strike for the South

I think you'll be hard pressed to find any post where I said that.

I think you wil be hard pressed to find any post where I said that either.

Anything else?

And all I know is:

1) Hamas has admitted they played up the blackout/crackdown aspects http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

and 2) More rockets landed in Israel from Gaza today.

Sorry, unlike you, I don't feel like smiling.
    If we're going to start exchanging photo albums of attrocities, this is going to be a long thread. I can dig up hundreds that show the Israelis being, shall we say, less than diplomatic with their Palestinian neighbours.

I never said you advocate Hamas's exterminate all Jews policy. I said you've never offered an alternative, just that you agree with their conclusions. I've offered a 2-state solution as a compromise, and you've rejected it. You seem quite fixed on the idea that Jews must leave Israel. Where, according to superior powers of logic, should they go?

Strike for the South

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

This will never get solved by politics. This ends when the country's youth look at each other and judge, not on the other persons religion, but on the content of each others character.* If the Palestinians are Ghettoed inside a wall(that bitter taste in your mouth is called hypocrisy. The remedy is to apologize and to tear down the wall) than the Israelis will see rockets instead of the people behind the wall. Rockets don't create friendships, people do.

*I'm on a MLK Jr. binge right now. Isreal could really benefit from a King Jr. like figure right now.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast