Thread: Mongols & Timurids: When?

Default Mongols & Timurids: When?

I'm playing my second campaign now (H/VH - Turks) and I'm wondering when these dreaded Mongols & Timurids show up? Does it happen at a set turn, specific year, or is there another trigger?

My first campagin as the English I expanded too quickly and finished before I ever saw either (I assume that there'd be an annoucement similar to the BI Horde annoucement so I would know even if I didn't see them), but also before I got any gunpowder units, or heard about the new world.

I'm expanding much slower this game so I get to do all this fun stuff, and to make things interesting for the campagin I'm going to try to hold onto everything from asia minor over to Tblisi and down to Bagdhad during the invasion. All I'd like is a hint about when to expect these eastern guests so I can plan to have some semblance of an army or two in the east before they arrive, right now most of my troops are towards my western and southern borders.

Default Re: Mongols & Timurids: When?

Ok here is the deal, i dont recall 100% though but i played the HRE and conqured pretty much the entire world by the time the timunds arrived (but rember i had been waring since day 1)...also note that they were still able to beat me mostly :P

The mongols come around turn 90 if i recall. They usually come from around bagdad area. As the turks they will hit you first and hard.If you want read the guide i wrote on egpyt but apply it to the turks (as tehre unit roster is WAY better).

The timunds arrive around turn...200? i rember they came about 10 turns before the "world is round" event happend. They come from the East along the russian steps/north turkey" They are NOT as hard as the mongols, but there ellephants are god like and can shoot cannons and guns from them. Of the two, they are easyer to deal with beacuse they come later and you have your best units avalible that will cut through theres. For the most part ther emakeup is simmilar to an egyptan army, with horse archers, halberders, foot archers and of course, elephants.

Either way, dont take your heavy infantry outside to meet them...thats just asking for trouble :P

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aha! I knew my screenshots would come in handy!

There are 3 invasions, each after each other. Get Read 1184 because they come then or 1186.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Discipulus et Magister Member Lord Condormanius's Avatar

I hope those aren't supposed to be the Mongols dressed in plaid and walking!
    "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war."
    -Albert Einstein

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    -Benjamin Franklin

That's interesting. It's 1280 in my game, and the Mongols still haven't arrived. I got the warning for them in 1205 saying they were in China, but I have yet to see them anywhere. I'm playing the Turks too, so I couldn't have missed them. Does setting the timescale to 1.00 screw up these events?

Grand Duke of Zilch Member supadodo's Avatar
    I'm Asian, pick a country in Asia. Most of us look alike anyway.

Nah I set my timesale to 1.00 and they showed(too quickly I might add) anyways I defeated two waves and am now waiting for the third. For some reason they wont attack Baghdad, Mosul rarely. They always head to Antioch and seige it . Haha I just sit back and let my Cannon Towers beat the sh1t out of them Also I have found out that Jans do really well against them, at least better than spear militia and saracens. I once attack them with an army of HAs and two Jans. Well my HAs got totalled but when they charge their Heavy Lancers at my Jans, they actually survived and killed lots of horseys.
    Weird Facts I have contemplated

-Thesaurus is not a species of dinosaur.
    -Potassium is not found in potatoes.
    -Its Naples, not Nipples.
    -All roads certainly do not lead to Rome. Does your state highway link you to it?
    - Dog is God spelled backwards but praying to dogs is a bit stupid.
    - Fart is Hydrogen Sulfide with methane and oxygen and is indeed flammable.
    - Igniting a fart is painful.

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Playing at 1 year per turn, I've gotten the warning in 1208 AD in two campaigns now, with the actual arrival of the first wave 4-5 years later. You could have missed them, you know. They can show up anyplace from Bulgar to Baghdad, so if they appear in the north and move west they'd skip you completely. There may also be a trigger tied to province ownership. It might not have them arrive if the human player owns their arrival province, I'm not sure about that one. If you own all 5 of those, they may be lost indefinitely.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Then something is wrong. I got the warning in 1205, and it's 1280 now. I own 4/5 arrival provinces - Baghdad, Yerevan, Tblisi, and Sarkel, but I do not have Bulgar.

This is odd. What could have broken this? I thought something was up when I saw that elephants and elephant arty were avaliable as mercenaries, yet I hadn't even seen the Mongols or Timurids yet.

Maybe the Mongols are afraid of you.
    -Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin

That is entirely possible. I would be.

Grand Duke of Zilch Member supadodo's Avatar
    I'm Asian, pick a country in Asia. Most of us look alike anyway.

off topic question. where do you get elephant mercs? I search around Baghdad but i can'f find any. I really need those buggers to fend off mongols.
    Weird Facts I have contemplated

-Thesaurus is not a species of dinosaur.
    -Potassium is not found in potatoes.
    -Its Naples, not Nipples.
    -All roads certainly do not lead to Rome. Does your state highway link you to it?
    - Dog is God spelled backwards but praying to dogs is a bit stupid.
    - Fart is Hydrogen Sulfide with methane and oxygen and is indeed flammable.
    - Igniting a fart is painful.

I got them in Baghdad.

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

If they are like elephant mercs in RTW, they have a VERY low replenishment rate. Let me check the files, now that we have the unpacked ones to look at...
    ah, there we go. It wasn't even in one of the packed files. It was in the descr_mercenaries.txt file down in the data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign directory.
    pool Arabia
    regions Jedda_Province Mosul_Province Baghdad_Province
    unit Bedouin Cavalry exp 0 cost 630 replenish 0.04 - 0.13 max 2 initial 1 religions { islam }
    unit Bedouin Camel Riders exp 0 cost 920 replenish 0.04 - 0.13 max 2 initial 1 religions { islam }
    unit Kwarizmian Cavalry exp 0 cost 1020 replenish 0.08 - 0.25 max 4 initial 0 end_year 1400 events { mongols_invasion_warn }
    unit Ghazis exp 0 cost 100 replenish 0.18 - 0.5 max 6 initial 1 religions { islam } crusading
    unit Mutatawwi'a exp 0 cost 60 replenish 0.08 - 0.25 max 4 initial 1 religions { islam } crusading
    unit Turkomans Mercs exp 0 cost 740 replenish 0.06 - 0.18 max 3 initial 1 religions { islam }
    unit Elephants Mercs exp 0 cost 2375 replenish 0.02 - 0.04 max 1 initial 0 events { gunpowder_discovered }
    unit Elephant Artillery Mercs exp 0 cost 3125 replenish 0.02 - 0.04 max 1 initial 0 events { gunpowder_discovered }
    unit Afghan Javelinmen Mercs exp 0 cost 920 replenish 0.06 - 0.18 max 3 initial 1 religions { islam }
    Basically that means on the turn that gunpowder is discovered, there are zero units available for hire. Each turn it'll get a random between .02 and .04 units until it reaches 1, at which point you can hire one unit of mercenaries. That means you can only hire one single unit of elephant mercs every 25-50 turns. Elephant artillery mercs are a separate unit, so you can get one of them at roughly the same intervals also.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

I'm playing my first campaign on 0.5, so I had to wait quite a while for even the Mongols to turn up. By the early 12th Century i had eliminated all of the Catholic factions as the English, and controlled Eastern Europe from Novogrod, Smolensk, Iasi, through to Constantinople. I got the warning for the Mongols around 1210 and decided to leave the Russians, Egyptians, Turks and Byzantines to deal with them. however, they won't make peace and the Mongols arrived in ?Samlek? in about 1220. soon they took Kiev and were right on my border, and I got a trade agreement with them as well as trying and failing to ally, since I was still fighting the Egyptians, Russians and Byzantines. Then they pushed forward and took Vilnius, and sieged Iasi and Halych.

Since then they've been easy - i used all the local troops i had to kick them back to Kiev, and then trained 3 stacks in my citadels in Bern, Staufen & Innsbruck and bunned them out of Kiev. now i have two stacks taking out their armies in the field, and I'm trying to push on to their next city.

do the Timurids come in the late 1300s??

That's so odd. I just can't imagine why the Mongols decided not to show up in my campaign. I wonder if the Timurids will stay in the closet too.

Quote Originally Posted by IPoseTheQuestionYouReturnTheAnswer
    That's so odd. I just can't imagine why the Mongols decided not to show up in my campaign. I wonder if the Timurids will stay in the closet too.
    I already told you why.
    -Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin

Yes yes, the artificial intelligence truly has emotions, and was too afraid to come face me...

They took one look at you name and said, "How can any army conquer so many letters?"
    -Albert Einstein

-Benjamin Franklin

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Just for your info. I owned the entire map except Rome and the Mongols still came. Maybe the script just went wacko on you.
    They appeared I think 1214 on a 1.0 timescale with no mods.

I'm playing again with modding this time and see how it goes.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)