Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperial Diet II

Default Re: Imperial Diet II

Finally, after following the deliberations and heated arguments, Leopold stands, composed, to adress the Diet:

Mein Kaiser, let me congratulate you on your capture of Rome! As others have said before me, what has been done, has been done. We can not change the past, but instead we have to look ahead to the future. I have disagreed with Ottos decision of declaring war against the Pope, but it seems like he did this with full support of our Kaiser. An emergency session of the Diet was not called and I don't believe there is any sense in asking for one. Our Kaiser will listen to us, when he chooses to do so. All that is left for us is to pray that the atrocity we caused will be forgiven, and that this second falling out between Gregory and Heinrich will turn out better than the last one.

What are we to do in the future though? There's is no stopping Emperor Heinrich from fighting Gregory on the battlefield. God will decide it's outcome and no matter how it turns out we have to accept it. But I fear that the recent developments, while advancing the Kaisers agenda against Rome, have put a halt to other matters. I believe the Doge still resides in Venice, although we had a huge army right at his doorstep. When will we resume our war efforts against the Venetians? My army near Vienna had to halt to secure our border against the Hungarians, instead of marching straight on to Zagreb.

Whatever the outcome of the conflict between Heinrich and Gregory I urge you to hasten it. Already the people of Milan, a Duchy we believed to be back under our control, are rebelling. If the Kaiser should succeed and depose Gregory than God has left his messenger on earth and Heinrich had every right to do what he did. A new Pope will be elected an we can only hope that our candidate will garner enough support to ascend to the office. But even if the new Pope were of German stock there's no guarantee that he will forgive us. I agree that the Papacy will need a home. Who will decide what we can offer the Pope? The Chancellor will surely head the negotiations, but the Kaiser has the ultimate goal of granting land.

I propose that in order to reconcile any new Pope Heinrich should offer one of his fiefdoms to the new Papacy to put them back into our grace. I would see the gift of Rome as fitting, as this would bestow us as final rulers of the Papacy, but I believe that the Kaiser would disagree with me here. Well give him Florence then, I think it's only just that you should loose one of your own fiefdoms to bring us back into the Papacy's graces.

What happens if Heinrich looses the battle against Gregory? Then God is no longer with us and purgatory or hell will await each and every one of us. I can only pray that God recognizes Heinrichs claims as true and grants him victory in the coming battle. If he looses, all his lost for the Reich! Let us pray and hope for the future. What has been done can not be undone and now the fate of the Reich lies with the Kaiser. He has started it and he will bring it to an end! May God have mercy on all our souls and grant us victory!
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Dietrich Von Saxony:

"Gentlemen.Im sorry to inform you,but we are about to be sieged. Enjoy yourselves. Meanwhile i have to leave to destroy the Polish. I try to be fast,so the siege wont last too long."

Dietrich marches out from the Diet and rides to meet his army hoping he wont be catched by the Polish force redying itself on sieging the city.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kaiser Heinrich:

Godspeed, Duke von Saxony. Aren't you glad that we don't have to worry about any Antipapal repercussions about driving off a besieging force?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I am not at all in agreement over attacking Rome, but I suppose that what is done is done and we must now make the best out of our excommunicated status
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

After few hours,Dietrich Von Saxony marches back to the Diet.

"Mein Herren.I hope you have had good time here in Diet. The Polish have been driven away, so they shouldnt try to interfere the Diet with their attempts to take the capital of Reich for atleast for a moment.Mein Kaiser. Happy is not the word that is in my mind currently. More like thirsty."

Dietrich sits on his place and takes a heavy sip from his Ale.

http://img152.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_519lo.jpg
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The pope it seems has been very active and has taken Genoa from us even with its large militia garrison. I propose we should take it back immedietely for it is a prosperous city that helps fill our coffers and the pope will most likely be killed should the city be taken allowing us to elect a pope that is more to our liking and maybe even be reconciled back to the church. The pope's personal army is however isn't a thing to be underestimated and a siege of the city will prove costly for us.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Tiberius/Fred/Mark/Isaak Member flyd's Avatar

Yes, Duke von Kassel has done an excellent job of protecting Bavarian territories.
    Βασιλεοπατωρ Ισαακιος Κομνηνος
    Basileopator Isaakios Komnenos

(Save Elberhard)

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

As a man of the house of Bavaria, I have to say I feel throughly used, First the Kaiser puts his man in charge of our house, then OUR household army is used to start the most important political war in the history of the Diet. Now Genoa, former capital of the Milanese rebels, and recent Bavarian aqusition lies in the hands of the Anti-pope. Next time Kaiser, Dinner and flowers first would be nice.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Well don't blame the Kaiser becuase YOU lost, maybe Bavaria should've guaded it more if they liked it so much?

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kaiser Heinrich:

Genoa will be returned to Bavaria shortly. The long-term benefits of a friendly Pope will outweigh the short-term costs of a small loss of income.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Making his travelled stained way into the Hall the 2nd Elector of Austria begins

Oh dear...I see life with Russian Merchants was infinately less complex than how the Reich is being handled.

I seems our esteemed Kaiser has continued to bend any and all events to his personal agenda.

I think I might have to go and secure more trade agreements with the Russians.

At least now I can relate to them as equals. It's not as if they are heathen orthodox's now. Maybe that could squeeze a few more florins from them.

Good day gentlemen.

May you all find some semblance of peace in your sleep.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 03-18-2007 at 04:21.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Prinz Henry: Electors, it is time to end this madness. My father has been allowed to run wild for long enough. He forgets - he is not the Chancellor. He has no authority to command our armies to move or to fight. Even Dukes have no absolute authority to command Household armies between Diet sessions. The Chancellor is only obliged to follow orders written during Diet sessions; any interim orders are to be followed only at his discretion.

It is true we cannot turn back time - war has been declared on Pope Gregory; we cannot reverse that. It is true that it is our destiny to reign in Rome and that provides some mitigation for my father's action, although the manner of its fulfilling that destiny remains repugnant. But once Genoa has been reclaimed and Gregory's army defeated, we must cease hostilities against the Papacy. There has been speculation that my father and the Bavarians will seek out successor Popes. Perhaps even defenceless Cardinals will be hunted down and killed with the intention of placing a German in the Vatican. Such actions would go too far, Electors.

I urge the Chancellor to restore his authority over our forces. We must try to reconcile ourselves with Gregory's successor. If we are unsuccessful, we must endure the penance for our sins. Killing more Pontiffs and murdering other men of the cloth will not save our souls. And we will have little on earth to fear from Gregory's successor, even if he does remain hostile to us. When Genoa falls, he will have no Papal armies to command.

Now, you may say - could Gregory's successor call crusades against us? Perhaps he could - I do not know. I know not the fate of the crusade against Tunis. Perhaps it is still ongoing. Perhaps the time needed to prepare a second crusade is so long, this is not an imminent threat. But even in the worst case, should crusades be called against us I submit that fending off those attacks should be part of our atonement for our sins.

You may also say - what if we can never be reconciled? I say this - perhaps my father may never be reconciled. Perhaps what he has done is so heinous, he cannot earn forgiveness in this life. But the Empire is more than the Emperor. Emperors pass on, and with their passing the stain of their sins may be washed away from the land. Empires - Empires can endure for thousands of years, but only if they follow the path of righteousness.

Electors, it is time that the authority of the Diet is reasserted. If my father refuses to call an Emergency session of the Diet to determine its will, then I ask the Chancellor, who we elected to act on our behalf, to reassert his authority. And end this madness now!

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Standing immediately after the Prinz has finished

HEAR HEAR!!

Having been away for some time I must support my Prinz's words entirely.

It is quite clear to me that a technicality has been used to ignore and circumnavigate the wishes of this august body. Control has been lost in my opinion and steps must be taken to reassert the authority of the Chancellor over this Reich.

God knows how a member of this Diet can directly attact the Pope and ensure immediate excommunication WITHOUT it first being disucssed here!!

I'm sure EVERYONE here was more than comfortable with the edicts passed by this assembly to ensure this very thing did not happen THE WAY IT HAPPENED.

An emergency session of the Diet is THE MINIMUM requirement in this time of upheaval. Sanctions and penalties should also be considered. If we do not maintain some type of control over the actions of a few extreme individuals we are in grave danger of losing everything that has been achieved to date.

Begin your thoughts gentlemen, the nights are going to become extremely long one's in the weeks ahead.

Blog Entries

*The Kaiser bursts into uncontrollable laughter after the past two speeches. After struggling to control himself, he resumes his usual composure.*

I'm sorry, Good Electors, I just can't help it. I have tried to explain it again and again to you, but apparently some people are so dense they still don't get it. So let me spell it out to them:

Reconciliation. Is. Imminent.

Antipope Gregory's reign of terror is soon to be at an end. Once I finish it with the recapture of Genoa, a new Pope, a true Pope, friendly to the Reich, will be appointed. I never said anything about killing other Popes. If I find the College of Cardinals' decision to be lacking, then I will simply inform them that they will need to choose again. After all, it's not like they will be able to resist.

An emergency session is hardly required. After all, what's to discuss? How much you hate me? One day you all will recognize what I have done, and regret your mistreatment of me.

Even if all goes wrong at Genoa and I happen to fall, we will still be reconciled, because Antipope Gregory will surely reward Prinz Henry's snivelling obedience to him and repeated lack of respect and deference to his damned father.

God help the Reich when my son becomes Kaiser. Surely he will make wrong everything I have righted in my long life.

A messenger from the House of Austria arrives and reads the following proclamation:

In accordance with Edict 5.25, Duke Leopold has captured Zagreb in a surprise night attack from the Venetians. Any resistance in the area will be duly crushed by his Lordship.

He also wants to remind this Assembly that with Venice still under the Doge's control this would invoke Edict 5.26, which calls for Duke Leopold to lead the attack on Venice. The Chancellor has been informed and my Lord has already made preparations to depart Zagreb, once the new rule is asserted.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Dietrich Von Saxony:

"I congratulate our brave Duke Leopold on his victory! It must feel good to finally give back the Venetians their own medicine. I hope we can hear soon that Venice is under siege of Leopold´s Austrian host.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 03-18-2007 at 15:07.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The Kaiser I have this to ask of you. One could see your reasons for wanting Pope Gregory to be disposed of, but what will happen should one of our favored cardinals get elected and threatens us with excommunication? Will you back down or get us excommunicated again and then proceed to eliminate our candidate once again?
    Last edited by TevashSzat; 03-19-2007 at 00:11.

5th Elector of Bavaria Member nazgul3's Avatar

I dont care where reconciliation is iminent or not but you allowed our innocent people to be killed. Kaiser i hope u rot in hell and dine with Judas in the mouth of the devil. You my noble sire are a Traitor!
    "Lord you have conquered the known world there is noone left to fight."
    [humph]...There is awlays someone left to fight.

Blog Entries

You my noble sire are a Traitor!
    Kaiser Heinrich:

Actually, Good Elector, it is you who are a traitor for calling me such.

I remind the Diet that while I have subverted much of my authority to you, I am still the soverign here and you are to treat me as such.

A Sovereign who bends the rules in their favor killing inoccent people. It was your coercesion that lead to this, you are but a snake in the grass just like the one that caused the Fall of Man. Your divine right just went out the window when u attacked that very right which is givin to you by God, physically u have destroyed that right, therefore you are no more a man than a peasent in the fields.
    Last edited by nazgul3; 03-18-2007 at 22:33.

Blog Entries

Kaiser Heinrich:

And as far as I'm concerned, you have no authority to decide my current status. Good day.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Kaiser, it appears that you are ignoring my most recent private letter to you. Therefore I am forced to address you publicly. I will give you 24 hours from the time Genoa falls to reconsider my offer. After that time is up, I shall do all that I have promised.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

A messenger enters

Noble Lords, I inform you that my master, Günther von Kastillien, has won the battle. He, however, regrets to say that the city is not taken. I am sure a report is on the way, describing in full the battle that was fought. He only asks a bit of patience, the road to Thorn is long and the roads unsafe.

That is all for now

The messenger turns around, and goes to sit with his fellow Franconians.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Dietrich Von Saxony

"Great news! Von Kastillien you bring honour to Franconia with your mighty deeds. Also Kaiser Heinrich.It has been quite long since we captured Magdeburg,have you already decided who shall have it,since it seems you have already decided to move the Capital to South,which will no doubt bring disorder to our Northern lands,since the Capital will be placed on the Southern border of Empire."
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Blog Entries

Kaiser Heinrich:

Fear not, Dietrich, Magdeburg and all other Polish territories will be placed in Franconian hands once the next Diet session comes. In the event of my death, let it be known that I intended to do so.

And now, I go to Genoa to face my destiny.

Dietrich watches as the Kaiser leaves the hall and says quietly:

"May God have mercy on your soul,to all our souls."
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I notice the Kaiser has yet to answer my question. Is it because you simply have not read it or are you deliberately avoiding it because you fear the electors won't like your answer?

Oh i have plenty of authority to determine your status. Your status is living but we can always change that to dead.... I wouldn't want to keep your master in hell waiting any longer. And as far as I am concerned you should scrape up whatever decency you have left and land on your own sword in battle to help make amends and possibly take the bounty off our heads. I shall pray for you sir.

Leaves the diet

Blog Entries

Kaiser Heinrich:

To the Fourth Elector of Swabia, our preferred candidate, Otterbach, was appointed to the position of priest because of me, when I full well knew her secret. She would not soon forget this favor.

As to the Fifth Elector of Bavaria, how dare you! You are stripped of your position in this Diet!

5th elector of Bavaria barges through the door of the diet

It would seem, my liege, you can't do that. Possibly over stepping your bounds again. Looks like u got a little trend goin on there. Little power hungary i am guessing. laughs Walks to the kaiser and looks him dead in the eye. Talks lowly so only the kaizer can hear
    You need not fear me my lord...

Turns around and walks out of the diet
    Last edited by nazgul3; 03-19-2007 at 02:12.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast