Thread: RTW - BI Slavs family tree

Default RTW - BI Slavs family tree

Hi everyone

I'm a very new modder and have a problem with the slavs in BI. With some help the game has been modded to allow the player to control the slavs after an auto pilot mode. Everything runs smoothly enough and the slavs are very playable however when I click on the family tree icon the game crashs.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this and/or where to begin looking for a problem.

Thanks for any help.

Auxilia Member Herennius Volsinius's Avatar

Default Re: RTW - BI Slavs family tree

You should probably ask the person who made the mod first.
    Proud member of Asia ton Barbaron

Have tried that but they seem not to be around at all. Thought I'd see if I could find a fix myself, but can't fine any problems in the files that were changed in the mod. Does anyone know where family tree info is kept in the normal version for BI?

probably in the .exe ....

why you most likelly also are having problems with family when playing the slavs .. you're assuming CA implemented a family for the slavs, wich judged by your findings I'm doubting they have ...
    (Unless there are other who have played the slavs and can confirm they can have a family-tree ...;))

G

Nice idea but the fact is the Romano British who are also an emergent faction, do have a fully working family tree, so it would appear that the slavs error maybe caused by something else.

Thanks for the idea though...

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

There isn't a written out family tree anywhere for either Romano_brits or Slavs.

They get randomly generated when they spawn in normal game. It is quite possible to change them so they start on map in descr_strat though, and make up your own family tree, using any combination of valid names for the faction (see descr_names.txt entries).

Messing up either the names or relative ages of characters should stop game loading or cause CTD as soon as the map tries to load.

Crashing when you try to view the family tree is distinctly odd! Can you definitely view all your generals in whatever cities they are in without crashing? I ask because it sounds more like problem caused by trying to use a trait or ancillary for one of them which isn't set up properly.

EDIT: just in case you have found new way of breaking the descr_strat file :P could you upload a copy of yours?
    Last edited by Makanyane; 02-01-2008 at 18:37.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Quote Originally Posted by Third spearman from the left
    Nice idea but the fact is the Romano British who are also an emergent faction, do have a fully working family tree, so it would appear that the slavs error maybe caused by something else.

Thanks for the idea though...

yes, but dont forget that emerging is linked to the slavs .. and slavs only .. remove slavs from the game and try to get an emergent faction (at least if I read up on stuff correctly) so its not so strange in my book if CA coded this particular faction slightly different than other factions, wich may explain why you're having problems with a family-tree. Not saying I'm correct, far from it, just saying it might be an option I wouldnt dismiss for as long as no-one can confirm having viewed a slavic family-tree ...

G

I've had them as starting playable faction and can view the family tree - albeit it was in a rather mangled RTW mod I was running under BI, with Slavs internal name added in (the one I was using when testing the stuff about emergence) - you're right about that other link to them controlling emergence for the campaign, but they don't have to be the emergent faction and can start normally, but presence in sm_factions does allow other factions to use emergence.

I'm pretty sure other straight BI mods have re-used them as a normal starting faction too.
    Download the:

Thanks for your feed back so far.

Makanyane@ Having re-tested the slavs problem I have misled you slightly about the CTD. The game freezes when clicking on the family tree for the slavs. The only way out is to reboot.

This got me thinking that what you said about trying to use a trait or ancillary for one of them which isn't set up properly. In the scripts text for the slavs the text is as follows:

script

console_command kill_character "Angus"
    console_command kill_character "Drest"
    console_command control romano_british

while I_NumberOfHeirs slavs = 0
    end_while

console_command control slavs

end_script

Is it strange to have two characters listed this way? What would I need to look for in trait or ancillary texts?

aaargh, I must read threads better - I forgot about you saying this was happening after auto-run by script, info I was giving was more related to if you added them to descr_strat to start at beginning of game.

Script / emergence doesn't assign any specific traits/ancillaries so its not likely to be that.

No idea why script is selecting to kill those two characters! But can't see why that would be problem either. I wonder if script isn't terminating properly after you get control back, but I think you need someone better on scripting to help issue is likely to be with that and not inherent problem with slavs.

Is that entire contents of script?
    Download the:

Yes that is all the script for the slavs.

I removed the kill commands to test if this changed anything, however the game still froze.

Thanks for your advice so far Makanyane, maybe someone else might figure this one out.

They don't have picture for slavs family or wrongly coded somewhere ?
    Say: O unbelievers, I serve not what you serve, nor do you serve what I serve, nor shall I serve what you are serving, nor shall you be serving what I serve.
    To you your religion, and to me my religion.

Any idea where or how to add the family tree pictures?

The family tree pictures are determined by culture not faction.

Slavs I think are nomad so they would be in
    bi/data/ui/interface/nomad

on the grounds it is by culture that is unlikely to be the problem, sorry!
    Download the: