Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Conseil du Royaume

Default Re: Conseil du Royaume

Simon bows before the King.

In the name of my brother Knights I thank your for rewarding the Order of the Fleur de Lys with the gifting of Antwerp. Posession of land will enable us to serve the Royaume even better in the future. With land comes power and the possibility for one of our members, who holds the land during Council to run for the position of Seneshal. I am sure that the widening of the field of contestants for this most venerous office can only benefit France as a whole.

I thank his Majesty once again and also congratulate the other Nobles to their new possesions. France has prospered may it continue to do so!
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

As a member of the house of Aquitaine I am also thankful to his majesty for allowing us Zaragroza, and Marseilles. We will not disappoint him, and the cities will become shining examples of our nation.
    Micheal D'Anjou
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Alain stands and bows to ze King.

I would state for ze record 'ere zat ze English are still open to negotiations wiz us. Ze next Seneschal will most likely be able to obtain ze conditions for a land exchange upon a simple meeting.

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Philippe acknowledges Alain's word with a simple nod.

Exactly the reason why both Caernarvon and Valencia have not been handed out to the Houses. I hope the deal with my cousin Guillaume can be finalized in the next term.

Had you done this yourself Alain, rather than wait on the next Senechal to fulfill your mission, there would have been lands for your House in this.

Now, I'm not one to hold grudges for long, and I may have been a bit harsh earlier... I spoke in anger... You've done what you could to keep the kingdom afloat and aside from your diplomatic setbacks, you did rather well, all considered.

So if the deal can be brokered next season, I'll reward your House with one of these newly exchanged lands.

I wouldn't be doing France a favour by antagonizing one of her Duke, would I ?
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Alain bows formally to the King.

You may antagonise whom ever you wish and hold grudges for as long as you would like your Majesty.

You have said what you thought, your meaning is clear.

Ze good news is zat ze situation is not fatal and ze next Seneschal will be able to fulfil your orders.

Perhaps ze nobles of Bretagne can join ze Order and gain some experience against ze Roman Empire.

I will retire to Rennes.

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Hugues bows to the King but casts a glance at Alain while doing so.

Thank you, your Majesty.

Perhaps I should adopt the title of Marquis? It seems I am now a lord of le Marche du Rhin.

Edit: Pending Conseil approval that is.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 09-07-2009 at 19:51.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

A nervous looking functionary makes his way to the dais in the center of the Council Chamber.

"The 2nd Conseil du Royaume. It shall close for voting on the 10th of September at 21:00 PST, so make your edicts, amendments, and announce Seneschal candidacies while you can."
    Last edited by Zim; 09-08-2009 at 10:02.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

The King takes a scroll handed out by a scribe and reads aloud.

Edict 2.1 : The settlements of Marseille, Frankfurt and Antwerp will be incorporated into the Royaume. The settlement of Caernarvon will also be incorporated insofar as it stretches the extent of Edict 1.2.

Edict 2.2 : No further attacks are to be made on the Reich for the next Senechal term and suitable negotiations will be held with the Kaiser to regain a state of neutrality. Defending against attacks from the Reich doesn't impinge on this Edict.
    Last edited by _Tristan_; 09-08-2009 at 06:36.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Hugues speaks.

I second both edicts.

I know I don't want to be denied communion. I assume that attacking German forces that enter our lands is allowed by this Edict, mon Roi?

I'll have more to say once Reeves gets me the latest reports.

Another scroll is handed to the King by the scribe.

Edict 2.3 : A diplomat will be sent to Rome at the earliest opportunity. It is important that we build back the best of relations with the Holy Father, in the wake of his threat of excommunication.

Proclamation 2.1 : Any settlement bought from a foreign power (OOC : AI faction) will be automatically incorporated into the Royaume.

Edict 2.4 : A treaty will be signed with Guillaume of England concerning the return to the French crown of the settlements of Caen and Angers. Negotiations will be held also for the return of Bordeaux.
    Last edited by _Tristan_; 09-08-2009 at 08:02.

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Gaspard de Neufville rises to speak.

"Bons messieurs, during the time of Duc de Alain as Seneschal, the royaume has expanded considerably. Land to the east has been reclaimed from our German neighbours, and the lordships of northern Spain have been returned to Frankish rule."

Pausing for a moment, Gaspard continues.

"However, during such a rapid expansion, we have had little time to build up the royaume and bring prosperity to our lands. Only now, having brought florins into the roi's coffers, do we have enough wealth to improve this land for the better.

Churches, markets, ports - not to mention barracks, stables, and headquaters for siege engineers - can and should be now built across the realm. Such expansion of our towns and châteaux will strike fear and respect into the hearts and minds of all the roi's enemies."

Looking each noble in the eye, Gaspard pause before continuing.

"Bons messiuers, I am willing to take upon the office of Seneschal, and carry out the faithful governing of the royaume in the interests of our roi and this assembled conseil.

I will see that due resources will be sent to the nobles fighting on the frontier with the Holy Roman Empire, while securing our other borders with sufficient men and supplies to ward off any sudden attack.

I also pledge to begin the construction of a royal navy. This navy shall be under the command of the roi, and will be initially built in the excellent ports of Bruges and Antwerp, once they be properly furnished. We cannot allow our royaume to be without either naval transport or a suitable defence against marauders that come across the depths as the Vikings of old.

As Seneschal, I would seek to maintain a healthy relationship with His Holiness and the Holy Sea, and begin to organise emissaries at all the major courts of Europe. Such communication is vital for the swift conclusion of diplomatic affairs, and will increase our contact with neighbouring royaumes.

As Captain of the Order de la Fleur de Lys, I also pledge to lead mon fellow chevaliers into battle at mon roi's command. I will serve where he wishes me to, and we will uphold the honour of our roi's name.

Finally, I pledge that if elected, I will govern fairly and equally among all the Duchies and the Order. I am not interested in favouritism, but will govern in the best interests of all.

Merci, bons messieurs."

Gaspard de Neufville resumes his seat.
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 09-08-2009 at 11:02.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Alain folds his arms and leans back in his seat, with a rye smile and a look of some contempt he glances around at any other nobles who may run for the position.

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

Yvon Looks up

Ahhh, I second Edicts 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and Proclamation 2.1.

but on 2.4 I have to disagree. The English have already proven to us they do not want a fair deal. We can blame Duc Alain de Rohan all we want, but in the end it comes down to the fact that the English enjoy having France in a stranglehold.
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 09-08-2009 at 11:05.
    Micheal D'Anjou
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

As Yvon finishes, the King answers.

Not a fair deal ? Who are you to question the fairness of a deal when this deal has been brokered by your King ? Don't you think we'll benefit from this more than it will cost us ? Have you taken into account the costs of maintaining troops on our borders with the English and the current length of that border ? If we minimize one then we can minimize said costs, money that can serve to improve our lands and pay the upkeep of our soldiers fighting against the Reich.

And we can excuse Duc de Rohan all we want but I concluded a deal with my cousin Guillaume and it is only through the fault of our diplomat, chosen by our Senechal, that the deal could not be sealed.

Hence the need for this Edict to finally seal that deal, a deal which will much benefit France as a whole, returning to her bosom provinces that had been lost.

And as strangleholds come, I had hoped to have a similar stanglehold on England by way of taking both Caernarvon and Dublin, forcing Guillaume's hand in restoring to us our mainland provinces, but it seems the odds were too great for the men of Bretagne.

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Hugues speaks again.

I will second Edict 2.3 and 2.4.

I would prefer to preserve the power of the Conseil to ratify any new province, no matter how it is acquired. If urgent, we can always vote to ratify possible targets of a land swap in advance.

The proposed amendment could be abused by an adventuresome Seneschal. For example if we somehow acquired Scotland in a trade, even if no one but the Seneschal wished to acquire it, under this proposal, the new lands would automatically be part of the Realm.

Yes, something like this would never happen. Scotland of all places! But I use the example to show my point.

The war against the Germans, however just, has put us into a very bad standing with the Holy Sea. Edict 2.2 ensures that it doesn't get worse and Edict 2.3 might improve the situation somewhat. If we truly want to impress the Papacy we will have to show it through our action. We have to repent for waging outright war and claiming the territory of a fellow Christian Kingdom.

In absence of a better way to redeem ourselves I propose the following Edict.

Edict 2.5:
    The next Seneshal will send at least three priests to Cordoba, where they will spread Christianity.

Rescuing the infidels from the doorsteps of Hell through holy missionaries will surely redeem us in the eyes of the Papacy. Cordoba is the obvious target, the beating pulsing heart of the heathen threat to Iberia.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Raynaud de Xaintrailles:

*bursting into the Conseil chamber*

I second Edict 2.5!!!

*He pauses, looking around.*

The Princess is back in France. I will get briefed on the situation and speak more later.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Simon looks at Raynaud a little surprised but slowly nods.

What great news! The Princess has returned, safe and sound I assume? I can't wait to hear your story.

Still looking perplexed he sits down again.

Reeves urgently whispers into Hugues's ear. The Duc tries to bat him away like a bothersome fly.

Why in God's name would I want to do that!? I'd rather be drawn and quartered. . .by Elephants! Make yourself useful and get me some wine.

Reeves, undeterred, continues his whispering. The Duc loudly responds.

Damn! Yes, I suppose so. That's a good point.

Reeves continues on.

Alright! Enough! I understand. But you'll do all the paperwork!

Hugues composes himself and stands to speak again.

Hmmm. . .yes. . .ah. . .having consulted with my advisors and after careful deliberation, I have decided to. . .

Hugues shoots Reeves a poisonious glare.

. . .stand for the position of Seneschal.

It's come to my attention that Captain de Neufville may or not be legally qualified for the position. Certainly his claim is stronger than last time, but anything is better than nothing.

Right. . .ah priorities for my term. . .uh. . .yes.

Reeves hands Hugues some parchment.

Well, we seem to be in a spot of trouble with the Pope. Can't allow that to continue. There are already some edicts from the King concerning this, which I have seconded. We must assume a. . .

Hugues sighs audibly.

. . .defensive posture in our war with the Germans. That means no more marching into their land and killing their Emperor or Princes or taking their cities. Of course, they march into our land, they're fair game. We keep what we have taken, but keep the Pope happy. Or as happy as that sour old coot ever is.

Speaking of the war, it took us by surprise. . .

Hugues shoots a quick glance toward the Throne.

. . .well most of us. Which means we don't have the necessary buildings to recruit proper troops. Toulouse is the only place in the Kingdom where even peasant archers can be recruited, peasants! Cavalry is hard to find too. This needs to be addressed.

Now, if 2.2 passes, we'll be trying to make peace with the Germans. But it will take a while to get a diplomat to them and they are an obstinate and bloodthirsty people. . .unlike us of course. Peace is not a certainty. And other threats could emerge; the English, the Milanese and others. We have discovered agents of theirs in our cities. They can't be trusted to keep the peace, even though we are a. . .peaceful people seeking only co-existence.

So we need these military buildings so we can protect our cities, reduce our reliance on mercenaries and provide our Generals with balanced and reliable forces.

Now, that doesn't mean churches and markets are right out, but we need to find the correct balance. You need money for troops, but if you don't have decent troops, you've got nothing. We're playing catch up at this point.

As Seneschal I would also attempt to provide a level of coordination among our military efforts that has been. . .ah. . .lacking. Whether it was the Order sieging Bruges against the wishes of the King or marauding German armies bursting into our heartland, we need better communication between the various factions of the Kingdom. After consulting with field commanders and assessing the situation I would propose a comprehensive strategy for the deployment of armies at the beginning of the season.

Obviously, anyone would be free to ignore me, but it's a start. I was able to work with Duc Raymond in this very chamber to save Dijon, so I've done this before.

Well, That's it for my. . .uh. . .prepared statements. I'd be. . .uh. . .happy. . .to answer any questions the Conseil might have.

The Duc sits and takes a large swig of wine.

Your majesty's pardon. I wish first thank his majesty for the epic victories he has won against the Reich. They have clearly drawn the attention of those outside the Royaume that the Franks are not a people to be trifled with. We are also appropriately grateful to his majesty that these conquered territories are to be shared among those who have performed due service to the Royaume.

May I suggest that chevalier Yvon be permitted some degree of forgiveness by his majesty for that last statement, because he does not, as put so aptly, know the specifics of this deal, concluded through most skilled and artful negotiation of the respectve crowns. Indeed, I do not. Does anyone share the confidence of his majesty as to what details are contained in this deal? Is our next diplomat merely delivering papers to be signed by your cousin or is there more to it than that?

I too share a certain level of disappointment with the results of our more formal diplomacy to date. Yet I do take into account that the offers alone do not make the diplomat. The skills needed for such a craft take many years to perfect and are not always easy even in more peaceful times when suspicions are not so great among men. I know of the man in Scotland representing us, and I dare say he is fairly new at the game and as a result at times he has difficulty convincing others that the sky is up. Under normal circumstances I would wish he had more time and better circumstances in which to work, but sadly he does not. Were that our princess have been available, perhaps this negotiation could have been concluded some time ago, and it is indeed joyous news she has returned to us once more.

But I stray too far from my question. What specifically must happen in order for this deal to be struck with your cousin, sire?
    Last edited by KnightnDay; 09-08-2009 at 14:33.

Hugues stands again.

I second edict 2.5.

Also, if elected Seneschal, I would cede all diplomatic negotiations with the Anglais to the King. His Majesy knows them better than I. This way we would avoid. . .um. . .any misunderstandings.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 09-08-2009 at 15:06.

Alain reacts visibly to the words of the King, though not obvious, the tightening of his features and a slight narrowing of the eyes can be seen to all.

He rises slightly from his seat at the news of the Princess, but quickly resumes his seat in an effort of control.

Finally he shakes his head slightly as Duc Hugues makes his announcement. As the Duc finishes his statement he rises slowly and says in a quite but clear voice.

"I would seem prudent to determine if de Neufville is able to run for ze position of Seneschal."

Glancing at the throne for a moment.

"We would not want any misunderstandings before proceeding on zis and other matters of state."
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 09-08-2009 at 15:23.

What misunderstandings? Why shouldn't he be qualified? He holds land given to him by the King. What other qualification does he need?

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OverKnight View Post

Speaking of the war, it took us by surprise. . .

Hugues shoots a quick glance toward the Throne.

. . .well most of us. Which means we don't have the necessary buildings to recruit proper troops. Toulouse is the only place in the Kingdom where even peasant archers can be recruited, peasants! Cavalry is hard to find too. This needs to be addressed.

So we need these military buildings so we can protect our cities, reduce our reliance on mercenaries and provide our Generals with balanced and reliable forces.

Now, that doesn't mean churches and markets are right out, but we need to find the correct balance. You need money for troops, but if you don't have decent troops, you've got nothing. We're playing catch up at this point.

*Gontran rises to respectfully address the Duc.*

Mon Duc,

You may not be aware that Toulouse is currently capable of training a large number of light cavalry. Construction is underway on stables that will allow us to produce heavy cavalry. Fear not, we can adequately provide for the kingdom.

What the castle currently lacks is the ability to produce adequate infantry. Perhaps an exchange of light horse for spear militia would satisfy our current defensive needs.

Construction takes time and barring any “forgetfulness” on behalf of the Seneschal we can provide you with all your military needs.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Alain shakes his head with a rather incredulous look. He seems to be a little more animated than before, perhaps warming to the current topic, his accent thickening.

I seems quite incredible just how transparent ze Order of ze Fleur de Lys is, no?

Turning to Yvon he continues in a slightly condescending tone.

"I am sure my comments wont derail your man becoming ze next Seneschal.

Zis is just a small side show which perhaps provides a small bump in ze road to a preeminent position in ze Realm for ze Order.

You have ze ear of ze right man so...euh...zere is nozing to fear no?

I am simply asking how a province can be 'anded over before it is ratified.

Because...euh...Edict 2.1 'as not been passed, zerefore it is in ze King Demesne at zis time, no?

Or am I just being, 'ow you say..euh, 'inconvenient', no?

Of course I will pardon myself in advance if zis in not seen in a ze spirit of good will...euh, per'aps I 'ave been unduly influenced recently.

Again a glance a the throne.

Per'aps ze his most royal majesty, ze King of France, could make some comment for ze less enlightened nobles of ze realm, no?
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 09-08-2009 at 15:53.

The King raises his hand, abruptly stopping all debate around the chamber, as all eyes turn towards the dais.

Mes Seigneurs,

The land has been granted but it has not yet been ratified by the Conseil. So if this Conseil doesn't see fit to ratify it, I'm afraid the Order will be deprived of its land.

Moreover, the land not being officially part of the Royaume pending its annexation cannot be considered a valid enough basis to run for the position of Senechal.

It is not that I do not trust Sieur de Neufville to make a good job of it but I fear that founding his term as Senechal on such unstable foundations would sap his authority and credibility, something which I could not condone.

The position must be one of respect and authority, subject only to the greater authority of the King.

Duc Hugues, I congratulate you on your candidacy.

It seems you will compete against me then in the upcoming election ?

For I will run for the position of Senechal myself.

Some time ago, a very wise remark was made by the Duc de Lorraine, from whom I quote :

Quote Originally Posted by OverKnight View Post
    With respect, mon Roi, the only Seneschal whose performance would be completely satisfactory to your Majesty, would be, well, your Majesty.
    Though that sounds like a truism, I cannot deny that it is full of good sense.

I have convened this body to help in the governance of the Royaume and to elect a man to second me and deal with the day to day burden of administering France.

I do not think that this has been an error, not yet but I should not impose such a burden on men not as well prepared as us Kings and Princes to deal with it. I had not planned for the Senechal to lead the country in times of war... I hadn't even planned to go to war... It has been forced upon us through the treachery of an unknown party and our duty to defend the Holy Father from his German agressors.

I should have convened an emergency session of the Conseil as the war started but I feared words would be less useful than actions and so prefered to ride against our assaillants, knowing that you would prove to France's enemies how strong its knights and soldiers could be when under attack.

But now, it is time for me to face my responsibilities as your sovereign and make every effort to stabilize the situation.
    Hence, I will strive to bring peace to our Eastern border and will finalize the deal with William that will reunite Bretagne with the rest of the Royaume, bringing to an end its almost insular isolation. My own involvement as Senechal in negociating these treaties should add some weight and credibility to the negotiating table.

Should our German "brothers in God", for I dare not call them enemies wish to pursue their campaigns against us, they will find us resolute and prepared. Troops will be recruited to help defend our territory and if our coffers' fullness allow, I intend to make improvements to our provinces, mainly by specializing them. I intend notably to establish a second recruitment center in the North and make Bruges the leading trading center of France.

For all of this is my responsibility.

I hope you will give me your confidence in the coming term to lead us to the greater glory that Franks merit.

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post

*Gontran rises to respectfully address the Duc.*

Mon Duc,

You may not be aware that Toulouse is currently capable of training a large number of light cavalry. Construction is underway on stables that will allow us to produce heavy cavalry. Fear not, we can adequately provide for the kingdom.

What the castle currently lacks is the ability to produce adequate infantry. Perhaps an exchange of light horse for spear militia would satisfy our current defensive needs.

Construction takes time and barring any “forgetfulness” on behalf of the Seneschal we can provide you with all your military needs.

Chevalier, I know Toulouse is our only source of professional fighting men, I do not count peasants from Metz or militia from some of the cities. But it should not be our only one. Men can be recruited easily, but it takes time to bring them to the fighting.

Also if a company of horse needed to be replenished after a battle, let's say outside Antwerp, it would have to travel all the way to Toulouse to be reinforced.

I thank you for your generous offer, an example of the increase coordination we need, and as Seneschal would accept. However, we should have acceptable soldiers available throughout the Kingdom.

Edit: Hugues blathers on until the King's statement penetrates his skull.

Ah, huh. . .um. . .oops. Well, best of luck mon Roi.

The stinkeye that Hugues gives Reeves is one of incredible intensity.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 09-08-2009 at 16:15.

They day has turned on the Duc. He appears a bit dumbstruck.

Ah, your Majesty. . .are you assuming the office of Seneschal? Or are you putting me in the horrifically awkward position of competing against my Sovereign in an election that has no secret ballot?
    Last edited by OverKnight; 09-09-2009 at 04:50.

Alain glances at Yvon and Hermant, a smile of knowing surprise on his face.

"Mon ami, I am shocked, and saddened at zis turn of events.

Euh...I apologize like a man wiz no arms at zis small piece of merde zat 'as appeared in ze Order play for power and prestige. I can only throw myself down at your mercy and beg for forgiveness.

A tutor in astrology once said to me; "Alain, you are a prize winning prick and you may 'ave won zis battle, but I will win ze war."

Per'aps it shall be zis way for ze Order. I of course sincerely 'ope zat is ze case."

Turning to Hugues with a rueful shrug.

"I like ze poster you gave me my friend. Per'aps we can change ze date and give it a second run in 15 years no?

Turning to the throne, with perhaps a sincere smile on his face, Alain claps loudly.

Ze King is taking ze philly by ze tail it would seem. Ze ride shall be as smooth as silk from now on!!

It is good to be ze King no?

Long live King Phillip!!

Philippe acknowledges Alain's words with a nod and a somewhat surprised look upon his face. He then turns to face the benches of Lorraine.

Duc Hugues, I have no wish to make use of my prerogative to assume the position of Senechal as is my right... I prefer to keep that opportunity if ever a graver crisis should ever arise, God forbids.

I want to know if I can have the support of my nobles to conduct the policy that shall be best for the Royaume.

You're welcome to contest this, Hugues... And I encourage you to do so but I feel you may have a lot on your hands in the coming years fighting off German incursions if they cannot persuaded to relent... I would not wish you to die through carelessness because your mind would be so burdened by the day to day menial tasks of ruling the Royaume...

And know that I will hold no grudge against those that deem Hugues more competent than your King and cast their votes his way... It would belittle the meaning of this whole institution...

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast