Thread: The most foolish thing you did on MTW

Default The most foolish thing you did on MTW

Here I would like people to share any bad calls.
    Mine happened when I played the expert Spanish in 1440 (more or less). By then most of Europe had been conquered, only sporadic provinces left which I devoured one by one at leisure, basking in the rays of my own vanity. Then it seemed to me that my aged king was bored in his lofty citadel deprived of deeds of arms. So I decided to entertain and exercise him sending him to capture Crete (from Italians, I guess) and leaving his son as a steward. He did capture Crete inadvertently destroying the port. Being cut off from the monarch the whole empire was wrecked by rebellions. The labor which had taken 400 years to almost accomplish went down the drain. I even saw the Swiss appear (for the first time in all my games). I must confess, I had bad dreams that night. At first I tried to hold on to every province I could, but soon abandoned it as hopeless. Instead, I withdrew all my troops to the limited number of loyal provinces (about 10 or 12) and waited four years for the port to be built. When it was ready I surprisingly quickly retrieved the lost provinces and left only the Swiss besieged in Swabia when the clock struck 1453. So all was well that ended well. But I still don't relish the emotions I had and the names I called myself for that wildgoose chase in Crete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: The most foolish thing you did on MTW

I really hate the "cut off from monarch" detail in MTW. In my about to finish Seljuk campaign every time I moved my monarch away from Constantinople my home provinces would rebel, it was a disaster.

Until I killed off the Almoravids who destroyed my fleets, and now every province is connected meaning that there's no more rebellions, wohoo.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

The most foolish thing I did was to ride from the tavern into battle...

The most foolish thing i ever did with MTW was starting modding it.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

It's almost impossible to turn back from that dark path...

(gollum's voice:)
    "Once it takes hold of us, it never lets go"

Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Now and then I've had an heirless king do a death or glory charge just to liven up a campaign. Sometimes it deadens it instead.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

I played a campaign of Pike & Musket Early hard I guess, playing as Italians. All was going well, and I had conquered about a fourth of the map, when I did exactly what you did. My Monarch invaded Sardinia and got stuck. The rebels were all over. Having plenty of troops I held on to my empire, but my income turned negative. Stubborn as I was I didn´t start abandoning troops until some 10-20 years later, realizing I would never get the money to buy the port otherwise. Took another 10-20 years to repay the debt and get my economy to a positive sum. Probably I had fun.

In a Pike & Musket campaign playing as the Dutch I was attacking across a bridge. I left my king in the rear right next to the siege cannon which were bombarding the enemy. I was busy maneuvering my troops when out of the blue I got a message that my commander had been killed. Checking back in disbelief I found his remains next to the hole in the ground where my cannon had been.
    Last edited by The Lizard Pope; 04-13-2011 at 15:48.

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Talking Re: The most foolish thing you did on MTW

Quote Originally Posted by The Lizard Pope View Post
    I found his remains next to the hole in the ground where my cannon had been.
    Tragically, brilliantly, 'true-to-life', funny. ;~} Thank you for sharing that The Lizard Pope.

Just occasionally, it seems to me, MTW manages to beautifully portray some aspect of the human condition. In this case, our vulnerability to defective cannon barrel casting.

Regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Quote Originally Posted by The Lizard Pope View Post
    In a Pike & Musket campaign playing as the Dutch I was attacking across a bridge. I left my king in the rear right next to the siege cannon which were bombarding the enemy. I was busy maneuvering my troops when out of the blue I got a message that my commander had been killed. Checking back in disbelief I found his remains next to the hole in the ground where my cannon had been.
    Ouch!

In one of my first campaigns with the game, I decided to attack Novgorod quite early on as the Danes. I had Vikings, I was invincible! Er, not so much...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

I have never been more foolish than the enemy King - a vain and foolish villain 'til the end...

Not so vain and foolish when he runs back to his haArem woOmen...

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Not so vain and foolish when he runs back to his haArem woOmen...
    He's just in a hurry to make use of that "facility" before it gets inevitably downgraded, or outright razed, the second the enemy enter the gates...

Really? If that's so then he's more foolish than a thousand fools...

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

I tried to conquer the world with massive peasant armies. Took out Europe, but the Almohads came out of nowhere....couldn't stop them until they had pushed into France, and it was all I could do not to just to hold from then on.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

One of my blunders was putting my king and his only surviving son in the same army and then having that army destroyed in a siege. This happened when playing as England and crusading in Spain, all was going well and I was master of all of France and large chunks of HRE. Then all of a sudden the game ends when the king and his heir dies, it was sudden and totally unexpected. In one stroke, one short battle, I lost the game which was irritating, considering that I at that time had more armies and a stable economy and all was going well. I have played TW games for perhaps 8 years now and this defeat is remains one of the worst..

That's a hard lesson to learn, all your royals in one basket.

Welcome to the Org and the Main Hall, vanitas!

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    That's a hard lesson to learn, all your royals in one basket.

Welcome to the Org and the Main Hall, vanitas!
    Yeah that was a costly lesson to be sure..Glad to see its mentioned in the Beginners Guide to MTW, should have read it before playing the game all those years ago

Thanks for the welcome! This really is an interesting forum!
    Last edited by vanitas; 06-10-2011 at 08:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Here I would like people to share any bad calls.
    Using the auto-resolve...? :)

- A