Thread: Hiding the Back Room Watchtower

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Default Hiding the Back Room Watchtower

Given recent events, I would like to put forward a suggestion that, if possible, the Backroom Watchtower be a "by permission" sub-forum, just as the Backroom is.

My understanding is, once attaining Member status, one can request and be granted access to the Back Room. I'm suggesting that the same method be used for the Back Room Watchtower.

Another effect I'd like to propose is that the Back Room Watchtower link be hidden from the main page, nested with the Backroom. Hmm ... if doing this would create undue complications, I guess it wouldn't be a big deal; though still visible, if someone clicks on the thread visible from the main page, they would be blocked from entering the forum if they didn't have permission or had chosen not to request permission. So this is a 'nice to have' but not necessary if the Back Room Watchtower is made a "by permission" sub-forum.

A side effect would be that members would have to actively subscribe to the Back Room Watch Tower to read and post in it. This will probably lower the audience there--which might be a good thing considering how some disgruntled patrons tend to use the Watchtower and Back Room Watch Tower. Still, any Member-level patron or higher in good standing could request access, just as they do for the Backroom.

Thoughts?
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Hiding the Back Room Watchtower

I think the reason it's visible is so that members sanctioned by the backroom staff can still post and discuss their punishment. I'm not 100% sure on that though.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Understood. If what I'm proposing is possible, it would still need to be visible and accessible to patrons sanctioned from the Backroom to serve its purpose.

I at least would prefer to be blissfully ignorant, unable to see/access both the Backroom and Backroom Watchtower. I suspect there are at least a few others might support this idea.
    Last edited by Togakure; 03-19-2009 at 17:03. Reason: diction correction
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/profi...do=editoptions

In the User CP you can set which forums you want to be visible and which ones you don't

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/profi...do=editoptions

In the User CP you can set which forums you want to be visible and which ones you don't
    Ah . Perfect, thank you.

Hmm ... it appears that the BackroomWT isn't listed, only the Watchtower. Am I missing something?
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

It's listed for me...

I guess if you're already set up to not have access to the backroom, then the backroom and the backroom WT don't appear on the exclusion list.

Presumably if you request access to the backroom you can then exclude them both...or maybe Tosa will fix it up so you can exclude the backroomWT without being a backroom member.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 03-19-2009 at 17:49.

Ah, I see. I don't have either on my list. If I go into the Watchtower, I can see and access the BackroomWT. The main page currently will show the most recent thread posted in, regardless of whether it's in the Watchtower or BackroomWT.

Hmm. Seems like a trivial thing I know, but sometimes I suffer from momentary lapses of reason and self-control, and become that old nasty self--this morning's shenanigans being a not-so-fine example. Out of site out of mind would be good for me in this case, if it's possible.

Edit: Oh, the irony ... this means the easiest solution is to request permission to the Backroom--so I can then make it and the BackroomWT invisible via my CP.
    Last edited by Togakure; 03-19-2009 at 17:56.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Being that the OP demonstrates an unusual aversion to any content even remotely connected to the Backroom or Backroom Watchtower, one would think he could take a bit of initiative himself - in this case it would only be one extra click to ensure the thread was in the Watchtower proper and not the Backroom Watchtower - before calling for changes to the functionality of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Being that the OP demonstrates an unusual aversion to any content even remotely connected to the Backroom or Backroom Watchtower, one would think he could take a bit of initiative himself - in this case it would only be one extra click to ensure the thread was in the Watchtower proper and not the Backroom Watchtower - before calling for changes to the functionality of the board.
    Still got it out for me after all this time ey, Panz? I don't remember trashing you so badly in the Backroom that you'd hold a grudge for this long ... it's been years since I've been in your territory. If you don't have anything positive to contribute, why are you here? Who do you think you're fooling with that oh-so-not-so-subtle dig . Oh d'oh, of course ... you're trying to annoy me . Fail.

I took the initiative to create this thread to find a solution, not necessarily limited to what I suggested. Sasaki's information (thank you) has opened up an avenue where I'll probably be able to handle it via my CP.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    Still got it out for me after all this time ey, Panz? I don't remember trashing you so badly in the Backroom that you'd hold a grudge for this long ... it's been years since I've been in your territory. If you don't have anything positive to contribute, why are you here? Who do you think you're fooling with that oh-so-not-so-subtle dig . Oh d'oh, of course ... you're trying to annoy me . Fail.

I took the initiative to create this thread to find a solution, not necessarily limited to what I suggested. Sasaki's information (thank you) has opened up an avenue where I'll probably be able to handle it via my CP.

I'm sorry, I have no idea who you are - and I tend to remember people who are capable of "trashing me so badly in the Backroom", as there were so few. Tribesy can be viciously cutting and Lemur has taken me down a notch or two on occasion among others, but I'm having a hard time remembering you.

I simply found your campaign about the Backroom Watchtower slightly stupid as it is so easy to avoid, and, being home sick with nothing to do, I decided to voice that opinion – as you asked for them. (“Thoughts?”)

It seems to me you've made several choices along the way that were easily avertable.

First of all, considering your fear and loathing of the Backroom Watchtower and all it contains, you chose not to take the extra second and ensure the thread you intended on viewing was in the normal Watchtower. Next, upon realizing that the thread you were viewing was Backroom related, you chose to continue reading. Unable to control yourself, you chose to begin a sniping contest with the OP culminating in a post full of flames you admitted to yourself, all the while claiming the reason for your own bad behavior was the fact that the thread was even viewable at all to you. Finally, to compound the situation and make yourself look even more immature, you've chosen to respond to my "thoughts" on your thread with more flame filled diatribe.

Have you considered that the problem may not be with the board's visibility options, but with your own self control?

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post

I'm sorry, I have no idea who you are - and I tend to remember people who are capable of "trashing me so badly in the Backroom", as there were so few. Tribesy can be viciously cutting and Lemur has taken me down a notch or two on occasion among others, but I'm having a hard time remembering you.

I simply found your campaign about the Backroom Watchtower slightly stupid as it is so easy to avoid, and, being home sick with nothing to do, I decided to voice that opinion – as you asked for them. (“Thoughts?”)

It seems to me you've made several choices along the way that were easily avertable.

First of all, considering your fear and loathing of the Backroom Watchtower and all it contains, you chose not to take the extra second and ensure the thread you intended on viewing was in the normal Watchtower. Next, upon realizing that the thread you were viewing was Backroom related, you chose to continue reading. Unable to control yourself, you chose to begin a sniping contest with the OP culminating in a post full of flames you admitted to yourself, all the while claiming the reason for your own bad behavior was the fact that the thread was even viewable at all to you. Finally, to compound the situation and make yourself look even more immature, you've chosen to respond to my "thoughts" on your thread with more flame filled diatribe.

Have you considered that the problem may not be with the board's visibility options, but with your own self control?
    I've written a response, but I'm going to sleep on it (I've been up for 48+ hours, working on a project). If I still think it's important enough after waking up and having my coffee, I'll send it as a PM. This pointless bantering back and forth in a public thread needs to stop.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello,

The BackroomWT is on the exclude list, but not quite sure why it doesn't show up. I think the custom permissions for that forum cause some sort of conflict.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Thanks for implementing the dual-ban, Tosa; now both are invisible. Goal achieved.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo