Thread: The Chronicles of Consul Gaius Valerius

Default The Chronicles of Consul Gaius Valerius

War with the German Tribes was imminent. The Barbarians had angered the Senate and People of Rome by butchering the entire Roman merchant colonies in the developed towns of Germania. An open declaration of war. The Romans were confident the Germans were not ready for war and will quickly become poverty stricken with the lack of trade. Gaius Valerius Consul was entrusted with 2 legions to crush the uncivilised upstarts with minimum casualties, to keep out of harm’s way and fight a war of attrition.

Valerius successfully manoeuvred his legions so as to avoid direct confrontation for a full year. The Senate was so pleased they called him back for a standing ovation; he took one and a half legions for protection and departed for Rome leaving Captain Quintus in control. Valerius encountered no resistance on the march back to Rome

His army was camped by the Rubicon and his personal entourage made the last miles at a gallop and arrived in the midst of a cloud of dust, his riding gear gleaming in the sunlight, nobility personified. He lingered for a few moments in front of the crowd before ascending the steps to the pulpit.

His fine Roman features looked out upon the sea of faces, his right hand raised, the masses out in force to worship a hero. Cheers and celebrations erupted; this was certainly a man in good favour with the People, but also with the Senate. He came down and was immediately embraced by his fellow Senators;
    "Gaius, congratulations my old friend."
    "Thank you Tiberius, but in all honesty, how hard is it to out-wit simple minded beasts eh?"
    "Yes, I suppose so Gaius but you make it look so easy. And what are your plans?"
    "I was going to ride at first light; I am in a war after all"
    "Nothing is happening though, why don't you enjoy a few days among old friends? It has been a year after all."
    "You have a point, I suppose I could."

Gaius Valerius awoke to the hustle and bustle of the Palatine with a slight hangover; it had been a rough night. Soon he had donned his toga and was preparing to meet his childhood friend Tiberius again. He was an active man and always preferred to walk when possible. He found him outside a snack bar having pastries for his breakfast. He motioned for Valerius to join him.
    "Do you want anything? How long has it been since you had a sweet pastry?"
    Valerius eyed his sticky, greasy fingers and the oil dripping from his chin.
    "I have not touched that repulsive excuse for food for nigh on thirty years Tiberius, surely you knew that. Do you have any plans for us today?"
    "The Senate want a quick meeting, apart from that I have no idea. Such is the life of a free Roman."

A full Senate meeting was underway; something big was going down, Valerius especially was fearful. The Senate leader stood up.
    "Quiet please Senators, an issue has arisen that requires our attention. As you well know Consul Gaius Valerius, with us today, has been campaigning against the Barbaric German tribes of the north." Valerius was transfixed, eager for more information, fear racing through his mind. "It appears that the commander in chief, Captain Quintus, has come under attack. A messenger managed to elude capture and has provided this report:" The story now follows the plight of Captain Quintus.

As Quintus watched the dust settle in the distance, he realised the full extent of his task, now there was no Consul Gaius Valerius to use his effortless skill to keep them out of danger. He was briefed to keep them on the move and away from the Germans. He ordered for the horns to sound the signal for them to march, like a great machine the half legion were ready to march. For 6 hours they traversed the dark forests of Germania taking a roundabout way to their Capital, hoping to find it firstly in one piece but more importantly in the early stages of famine and disease, poverty stricken and crumbling. On they marched following a winding trail found by the scouts through the wilderness. The soldiers were uneasy, they had never been this far North and some were believing the savagery and sheer brute numbers of the hordes. They thought themselves vulnerable, cursing Valerius for taking so many comrades in arms for his own protection, what about their own protection? Quintus kept them moving as fast as possible, at this speed they had no time to grumble.

The next day at dawn they prepared to march again, Quintus was hopeful that they could possibly take a more direct route to Damme as their scouts had reported on rebellion and uprising in their outlying cities, but this was hostile ground, they would be attacked on sight. Strange animal calls haunted them for miles upon miles, every breath of wind sounded like arrows, the dense trees swayed threateningly as they passed. The legions made more attempt to march in formation, they would have preferred safety in numbers by all they had was faith in this young noble appointed by their Great Valerius. Days passed by and the undergrowth grew thicker and the fog rolled in, they must be close to the sea now.

Captain Quintus awoke to blaring horns, panic sweeping the camp. He quickly ordered for temporary fortifications to be erected and son they were holed up in a fort. His scouts reported a modest host of their finest warriors. It was unusual for Barbarians to go for quality over quantity, Quintus hoped to find out the name of their leader and live to tell the tale, surely there had been civil war and a powerful war chief with bright ideas had taken the helm. Danger Quintus learned that they had three battering rams with them and were forming so as they rammed the gate of the fort, to the left and to the right. He split in half legion into three groups of three each positioned behind where they were expected to breach their defences, he then joined his cohort of Praetorians and positioned himself behind the cohorts defending the gates.

Quintus eyed the approaching Germans, made up of Chosen Axemen and Night Raiders with a General they were a saddening sight, Quintus was for the first time in his life scared, fearful of a battle. This was going to be a tough fight. Quintus knew that if they breached the fortifications then they were defeated, they must keep them out, they must fight with Roman honour. Quintus and his cohort closed up towards the gates, anticipation of a good scrap made Quintus eager.

Wooden rams shook the walls, defending blows shaking the very earth they stood on. Discouraging chants and war cries greeted the Roman Legionary Cohorts, chants turned to mad roars as the walls gave way. Quintus ordered for pila to be thrown followed by a counter charge, they might have breached the wooden walls but they have not breached walls of steel shields. The fighting was furious, blade on steel, blade on flesh.

Quintus and his cohort joined the fray, toe to toe against Raiders. His martial ability honed on the Campus Martius brought into question here, he knew that a defeat here would be the end of these young men fighting beside him, this spurred him on as he shouted "ROMA!", ducked and slashed within his gladius, hamstringing the lightly clad attackers. But their numbers were prevailing, the Romans were being overwhelmed and pushed by sheer force of men away from the walls, surrounded and desperate they fled, the only place to go was a last stand on the plaza, one by one the cohorts made a break for it, Quintus was appalled, they were cut down as they ran, he attempted to rally them again as they huddled in haphazard formation as they were engulfed with foul smelling carnivorous Barbarians, fighting to the last man,

His life flashed before him, again and again in his mind’s eye he saw the cloud of dust on the horizon, reliving the day Valerius left him in charge, he had failed as a Roman, failed to out-with Barbarians, failed to lead his men in battle. Quintus had his sword in his hand and motionless in the plaza, in slow motion he saw the legionnaires falling beside him and still he did not move, anger and desperation boiled in his blood, in one last show of defiance he marked his man and gave him no right to his head, covered in blood he dropped to his knees and gave up hope of seeing Roma in this life again, total defeat, the Germans were victorious.. Quintus Valerius was no more.

Gaius Valerius hung his head in his arms, Tiberius looked on in dismay, if it had not been for Tiberius' selfish pleas for company then this tragic waste of life could have been averted, maybe he could have seen Quintus again, his only son. Valerius blamed himself, overcome with grief he left the forum and just walked, the news was spreading but he never heard the petty condolences offered to him from the People. He thought of his selfish protection, how could he of possibly took so many Roman might to protect himself on his journey back to Rome? In hindsight he had not really needed as many to protect himself from petty bandits and leaderless brigands. Hind-sight is punishment from the Gods. Valerius found himself looking out from the Palatine; from here he had a view of Rome like no other, the greatest city in the known world, and whoever owns Rome rules the world. Well, it was in Roma's hands, there and then he swore an oath to his late wife, the mother of Quintus to avenge his death, amidst floods of tears and uncontrollable shaking he made contact with flesh and bone, his oath was now solidified, he would not rest until it was completed.

The longest lasting leper ever Member rossahh's Avatar

Default Re: The Chronicles of Consul Gaius Valerius

I liked it. You should write more.

I always preferred huge unit scales myself, though. That said, I liked the battle-story bit.
    "Okay, here come the cavalry, get your swords out lads!" - the Captain details his orders to the pikemen

Thanks, I am working on the next part, hopefully I will improve on my gross inaccuracies. Also on a school computer I have noticed that my screens distort the thread. I did not notice on my widescreen monitor.

Tiberius Brutus had not slept properly since that fateful day when he heard the news in the Senate, he knew that it was unlikely that Gaius Valerius would have made it back to the camp before the attack came but still he had not had the chance because of him. He had stayed well out the sight of Valerius who was understandably mortified with the news. The Senate was not too happy with him either for delaying Valerius' departure from Rome. Poor Tiberius did not know what to do, what would his reception be like if he returned to the Senate? Would Valerius blame him? His only son, Marcus Brutus was good friends with Quintus having shared a tutor with him for the duration of his childhood, two days after the death of Quintus, Marcus spoke with his Pater;
    "Father, I am 22 years of age and I am yet to complete my military obligation, how just would it be for me to join Gaius Valerius on his upcoming northern expedition?"
    "Marcus, you are old enough to make your own decisions, I am an old man, an old man who has lost his appetite for life, do not expect me on your return to Rome. Go, earn yourself valour in the field, become a mighty figure in the Senate, your blood line deserves it."

With that Marcus left for the house of Valerius, a short walk to the hillside. Valerius was expecting Marcus, being an intelligent man he knew that Marcus would be around soon.
    "What took you Marcus?" He offered him some wine and showed him a seat.
    "I was unsure how you would take to a Brutus as my father believes himself to be to be responsible."
    "Ah I was foolish to believe him the cause, realistically I could not have made it in time to the camp. We march at dawn."
    "At dawn? I must rush home for my gear."
    "Then what are you waiting for, run along."

Valerius worked through the night, he received fresh recruits to add to his veterans camped across the Rubicon, in all he will have 3 legions available to him, all ready to march tomorrow. His spies had made it back to Rome during the night and after a brief meeting with Valerius they knew the whereabouts of 3 hordes, easily matched with 3 legions. Quite worrying was the news of the new face up North, a man to unite the Tribes against Rome. A man reforming the German military. By dawn he and Marcus met up with the legions and prepared to depart.
    "What is the plan Valerius?"
    "Well, we march straight North to Damme."
    "Will they not be expecting that?"
    "Yes, I aim to crush them on the field and reap the rewards of a clear path to Damme. In the last campaign I was ordered to fight a war of attrition and we were defeated, this is my war and I plan to win."

Valerius was a first within Rome, his confidence matched his skills, he knew no fear, he was the definition of efficiency. His daring tactics win the day. Gaius Valerius departed once again for the sea of forests, this time with Marcus Brutus. Marcus was amazed at the youthfulness of Valerius, not an old man but certainly not young, he was a figure of good health and still a powerful fighter.

They marched without problem through the Italian countryside across the Rubicon and were brought up to full strength for the journey North. For two weeks the army of Consul Gaius Valerius with Marcus Brutus steadily made their way North to Germania, they knew that a fight was inevitable and the legions were certainly in the correct frame of mind.

The pace dropped and every legionnaire marched in formation.
    “How much further Valerius?”
    “I suppose that they will allow us to march further, they will be preparing something gruesome for us I am sure.”
    “Are you not concerned?”
    “No, I expect them to do something.”

Marcus eyed the dewy green leaves with contempt; he eyed the deathly black shadows which signified the start of a great forest. An eerie place not for the faint hearted. He unsheathed his sword and held it aloft, struck by how remarkably good it felt he broke into a wide smile and spurred his horse on, the legions were amazed, seeing this young man with his sword aloft gave them great courage.

They woke to dense fog and light drizzle, visibility was very bad. The mood in the camp had changed, a battle was closing in on them like a great black cloud. The scouts had reported back in the night telling of a barbarian horde lying in wait around 5 miles down the road. The orders were to allow the legions to rest then march to meet them in the morning. Morning was upon them. The bugles sounded and the legions rolled out in true Roman unity, again the scouts told of a superior force and not the usual rabble. Unperturbed Valerius marched on ahead of his legions like a beacon of light and came to a stop when the Germans were in sight. Who immediately charged down the hill towards then with a terrifying roar.
    "Legions! We have come here to fight! They have come here to die! Mark your target and strike hard!" Valerius raised his sword, steadied his horse and finished: "For the glory of Rome!"
    The Barbarians were closing in, looking to batter the Romans with an all out charge, a wall of shields faced them, the legions were ready.
    "Legions, release Pila!"
    Thousands of Roman pilum engulfed the ever closer Germans with deadly precision felling the swiftest, the bravest wearing minimal armour and causing a wall of dead bodies to break the tidal wave of their charge. They released their pila again, this time aiming for the wings to encourage the Germans to be more central. It worked and the full force of the Germans steamed into the middle of the Roman line playing straight into Valerius' hands. Another bugle was sounded.

Marcus led his bodyguard away to the left with three cohorts, around left he continued to flank. "Charge!" The ordered cohorts slammed into the Germans right wing followed by Marcus Brutus, this was his first date with battle, hours of practice on the Campus Martius was on the line in and out he charged on horseback always leading his cohorts around the back of their line, they were not faltering but were dropping like flies, Marcus Brutus was winning his fight. Then, in his war blinkers he did not notice a counter flank from his opponents lead by their great new leader, the majestic warrior draped in gold, Brutus was knocked from his horse by a blow across his helmet, down he went and down was where he remained. Knocked half unconscious his vision was blurry, he hardly saw his cohorts collapsing, never saw Dumnorix the Great stoop over him. Darkness was all he saw.

Valerius never heard Marcus's cries for help, he was in trouble himself. With his left flank collapsing he was forced to flee to right and try to gain ground by flanking them, wheeling his highly disciplined troops around securing his depleted left was a true testimony to the legions and his skills in getting the orders out fast. Valerius knew victory was impossible now, he knew that Marcus was in trouble, he despaired that he couldn't do anything about it. For one whole hour his line battled away into the German horde, they were thinning out, they were losing morale. Then they broke and downed their weapons and ran, cut down as they ran.

Valerius' mind was set, to uphold his oath he knew what he had to do. He turned his horse and fled into the surrounding woodland, leaving his few remaining bands of Roman soldiers to perish on the field, leaving Marcus broke his heart, he remembered of Tiberius and knew that the only reason Marcus was on the field of battle today was because he blamed Tiberius for his son’s death, now he knew it was his failings that had cost another young noble Romans life. He rode and rode deeper and deeper into the country.

For two days he rode without pausing for sleep, water or food until he reached the village of his forefathers. This was home sweet home to him, as a young child Flavius Valerius, the exconsul, rode into the village in search of a mistress whilst on campaign. He spotted a young woman by the name of Rhiannon with a young son Orgetorix, she melted Flavius' heart and he took her and her son. Now Orgetorix was back.

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

This is good, keep it coming.

Just out of interest, have you ever read Caesar, by Colleen McCollough?
    Last edited by Gaius Scribonius Curio; 04-30-2008 at 04:37.
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil