Thread: Finishing moves?

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Default Finishing moves?

http://www.pczone.co.uk/ .....

"More than that, fallen foes may even be dispatched with a devastating finishing move."

"a swordsman might swing to the left, then to the right, before following up with a stab to the stomach that'll knock his opponent down."

FINISH HIM!

"He might then spin around and deliver a merciless finishing strike to the enemy while he's lying helpless on the ground" !

FATALITY!

Wow the new Mortal Kombat Game sounds really cool! Wait, I mean Total War game...
    Last edited by fallen851; 02-16-2006 at 21:06.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Default Re: Finishing moves?

Quote Originally Posted by fallen851
    http://www.pczone.co.uk/ .....

"More than that, fallen foes may even be dispatched with a devastating finishing move."

"a swordsman might swing to the left, then to the right, before following up with a stab to the stomach that'll knock his opponent down."

FINISH HIM!

"He might then spin around and deliver a merciless finishing strike to the enemy while he's lying helpless on the ground" !

FATALITY!

Wow the new Mortal Kombat Game sounds really cool! Wait, I mean Total War game...
    As horrible as it may sound, i doubt it will be like that. There just trying to make it seem like MK to attract people who prefer that kind of gaming.

I hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

I was always partial to a fire-dragon-punch...
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by currywurry
    As horrible as it may sound, i doubt it will be like that. There just trying to make it seem like MK to attract people who prefer that kind of gaming.

I hope.
    MK TW
    *hoping*

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

The same thing is in Dawn of War.

I don't see the problem that you have with good graphics and units fighting properly.

I think it sounds cool. Better than thrusting and cutting into mid-air like in the other games.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor

I don't see the problem that you have with good graphics and units fighting properly.
    "He might then spin around"

Unless you want to die, never spin around in combat.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

I wonder if they'll make our soldiers as agile as Yoda in a duel.

I doubt there will be spinning.

Yeah, I would also make you sick.

Anyway, it will not effect the game much. I am more interested in the terrain and buildings the preview spoke of.

I doubt there will be spinning.
    They will; think how cool Lord of the Rings combat is compared to realistic combat.

How many times does Aragorn leave himeslf completely exposed in those films? More times than I can count.

Its not like it will massively effect the game.

Anno Domini MXVI Member Member HighLord z0b's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fallen851

Unless your in a Holywood action movie, then it's a devestating, unblockable move.
    One thing I've always like about TW is that from a distance it looks like a real battle, I hope they don't turn it into Braveheart.

I hope they don't turn it into Braveheart.
    Of course they are.

[sarcasm]There is going to be Scottish units that can use a tornado sword attack. And who can forget the Chosen Whirling Dervishes, who can spin around and fly over wall and throw korens at the enemy.[sarcasm]

Why don't they throw in some scenes from "hidden tiger, crouching dragon" or whatever that movie's name was. Wouldn't it be really nice to have armies that could fly in trees?

Sardonic Antipodean Member Trithemius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Yngvar
    Why don't they throw in some scenes from "hidden tiger, crouching dragon" or whatever that movie's name was. Wouldn't it be really nice to have armies that could fly in trees?
    I would have liked the next TW game to have been sent in medieval China myself - and have the option to have "superhero" units like STW's kensai. :D
    Trithemius
    "Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Yea, and I hope they make a unit called the "Arcani" in the next RTW game, they could have a cool black cape, some awesome black plate armor, a ninja mask, and like double swords!

Oh wait, they made that unit in this version of RTW...

Well maybe next time the Arcani can have a finishing move.
    Last edited by fallen851; 02-17-2006 at 05:05.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

This is why we should hang the entire marketing department.

Feudal foot knight versus Chivalric seargent

READY FIGHT!

HU!

HA!

POW!

WHACK!

KUCHUNG!

BLAMMER!

KAZUUNG! HA!

FINISH HIM!

Feudal foot knight wins...

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I think it sounds cool. Better than thrusting and cutting into mid-air like in the other games.
    Yeah, I agree. Admittedly Warhammer screams out for over the top animations, but it won't be a biggy for me in M2TW. I already love zooming in to watch the crash of a cavalry charge into an infantry line or to catch a general fighting for his life. Better animations will just add more spice to the game. I don't think the animations in Dawn of War really disrupted the gameplay.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Appleton
    I don't think the animations in Dawn of War really disrupted the gameplay.
    They sort of did, and sort of didn't. The kill anims made the killer invulnerable during the animation, this was done to prevent the animation from being disturbed by someone else killing the killer. The flip side is that the killer was not causing damage to anybody else during the animation. So not a real problem in close combat, but if you had all your missile fire directed at the killer, that was wasted DPS.

Might not be too bad if they are quick, wouldn't mind a beheading or two, but drawn out animations like DoW with TW scale armies would probably be cumbersome.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

aka AggonyAdherbal Member Lord Adherbal's Avatar

I'm mostly worried about how much unneccesary strain this will put on my CPU. And I'm worried gfx & visuals are gonna get a priority over gameplay again.
    Member of The Lordz Games Studio:
    A new game development studio focusing on historical RTS games of the sword & musket era
    http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com

Member of The Lordz Modding Collective:
    Creators of Napoleonic Total War I & II
    http://www.thelordz.co.uk

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    They sort of did, and sort of didn't. The kill anims made the killer invulnerable during the animation,...
    Yes, I knew that - that's why I said they did not "really" affect the gameplay. The animations did have in-game effects, but not ones that really affected your tactics. Apparently animations in RTW already affect combat results - QwertyMDX has posted in the EB forums about how just modding the stats is not the only thing you need to consider when balancing the units. But just as most of us did not notice that with vanilla RTW, hopefully we'll be similarly oblivious in M2TW.

I agree with the consensus here that "spinning" and flying side kicks are pretty much absurd. I choose to trust in CA and hope for the best.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

The Lion Prince Member Sundjata Keita's Avatar

If one starts doing a high-flying kick wearing a full body suit of armour I'll be annoyed but from what they said about a spearmen barging back his opponent it sounds quite realistic and if they have enough variation it should add some spice to the battlefield.

How do you think this will affect a 2 vs 1 battle though?

Quote Originally Posted by [cF]Adherbal
    I'm mostly worried about how much unneccesary strain this will put on my CPU. And I'm worried gfx & visuals are gonna get a priority over gameplay again.
    According to the latest article at gamespot, the minimum spec will be higher than that for RTW.

But they claim the game will still be playable on most current hardware. Of course, they always say that at the outset...

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    I agree with the consensus here that "spinning" and flying side kicks are pretty much absurd. I choose to trust in CA and hope for the best.
    That pretty much sums it up for me, besides we can't do anything other than hope for the best...

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

I hope they release a preview video soon....

This was a pretty early announcement it seems. Why announce almost a year before release? Meh.

They just released BI!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

I'm okay with finishing moves that aren't too absurd, but I just hope they elminate bodies flying through the air, for anything except the occasional artillery kill. It's a major immersion-breaker in RTW when I see a soldier fly vertically into the air after being hit by some infantry or cav unit.
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant