Thread: Translations of Proper Names

Default Translations of Proper Names

Listening to the TWC podcast, where there is a sort of review of EB (came out today), it was mentioned that one thing that might frighten vanilla players (in regards to EB) is the translations of the buildings and units and such. That it takes some getting used to.

I just wanted to point something out that we are happy about that will help in regards to this - it's the use of a second line in the tooltip passover as a line for a translation into English of the building's name. We will be including the names of buildings for sure (that's the area I'm more involved in) - I think it's probably likely for units too, but I don't know that that is as certain. So this is the sort of thing you will see instead:

It's not a big deal really, but there has been (external, not really internal) criticism of this naming policy in the past. This way we get to 'have our cake and eat it too' though, and is something we are working on now. It may not be totally in place by 0.8, but it will be well on it's way if it isn't. Just wanted to let folks know this won't be nearly as much of an issue in the long term with EB as some people make it out to be (not talking about the podcast folks at all though - they weren't complaining about it).

(oops - by the way, those cities/ports are just in my personal build. They are from Prom's Res Gestae, and I liked them so I nabbed them for my own build. They may make it into EB one day though - but he hasn't completed them all yet anyway.)

Default Re: Translations of Proper Names

It's definately the right way to go, pleasing both camps as you go without compromising on anything but a little pride. Maybe you could put a note somewhere, not definately the tooltips, about why the Hypaspistai have a tight formation rather than phalanx.

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

This is the best possible system...

It doesn't take anything away from the game, and simply makes it easier for players to learn and know the buildings and maybe units that they are using...

Now, when I stumble across names that are completely unfamiliar to me (usually of the Getai, Sweboz, Iberia, Celtic and Steppe factions), I will take the time to read the description (they offer great historical information plus good gameplay tips ), but I can understand that in mid game, you need to decide what to build fast, and an English translation can help you do just that...

EB Pointless Extras Botherer Member VandalCarthage's Avatar

I'd say lose the parenthesis.
    "It is an error to divide people into the living and the dead: there are people who are dead-alive, and people who are alive_alive. The dead-alive also write, walk, speak, atc. But they make no mistakes; only machines make no mistakes, and they produce only dead things. The alive-alive are constantly in error, in search, in questions, in torment." - Yevgeny Zamyatin

Resident IT Guy Member BlackAxe3001's Avatar

I would agree. It would probably look better without the parenthesis.

Really? No parentheses? They just seem logical to me (as translations are often put either in parentheses or inside commas like an apositive). Like, "when we found the town (oppidum) deserted, we moved on to the next one." Or flip it around the other way: "The arx (citadel) has always remained as one of the city landmarks."

I think it should be kept, parenthesis is, after all, used to add explanatory information.

On a more important note, good idea! I've often become confused with huge ancient titles, as i sadly lack a great knowledge of the era. Also, good to see a new homeland resource icon.
    "Once upon a time, on the internet there was a guy, a very deeply flawed man, they called him Eric Bauman..." -www.ebaumsworldsucks.com

I like the parenthesis, myself.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Resident IT Guy Member BlackAxe3001's Avatar

Either way I guess. It does seem more logical to have the parenthesis but they look kinda funny. Is it possible to change the size of the english translation on the top of the scroll? Maybe have it a couple sizes smaller?
    Last edited by BlackAxe3001; 07-18-2006 at 21:33.

Yeah, making the translation smaller would be preferable. BTW isn't it great that the mod has reached a stage where one of the problems is just the sizing of lettering! I remember the days when no more than two turns could be played before a ctd...
    "Once upon a time, on the internet there was a guy, a very deeply flawed man, they called him Eric Bauman..." -www.ebaumsworldsucks.com

... I thought that was what the team was planning to do anyway.

I like the parenthesis personally.

The parentheses look strange to me. Not sure what it is, but perhaps it would look better without them?

Meh, either way I'll get used to it...

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Add a poll!!!

EB Pointless Extras Botherer Member VandalCarthage's Avatar

Perhaps something more classy like, ~Home of the Archon~
    "It is an error to divide people into the living and the dead: there are people who are dead-alive, and people who are alive_alive. The dead-alive also write, walk, speak, atc. But they make no mistakes; only machines make no mistakes, and they produce only dead things. The alive-alive are constantly in error, in search, in questions, in torment." - Yevgeny Zamyatin

Foot has been working on them - I don't know if we specified whether to use parentheses or specifically not to or whatever. I guess we should find out how he has been doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Foot has been working on them - I don't know if we specified whether to use parentheses or specifically not to or whatever. I guess we should find out how he has been doing it.
    Without in fact, though that was my own fault as there was a definate point to put them in parentheses. Actually, while working with eb.txt I've been thinking about doing a complete clean out and rearranging because it is really messy. So whatever is decided, it can be done.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

I've asked for an internal informal poll on that thread now. I think that's the best way to handle it.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Keep the brackets.

I think this is good, as it removes confusion. I can just about handle Latin but thats it. This is a good way for people to pick up bits of the ancient languages as well.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]