Thread: Increase the sig size?

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Increase the sig size?

Can we get an increase in signature size? I'm thinking of around 200 or 250 pixels high, and 30k file size.
    10k seems excessively small to me. The good majority of us use high speed internet, and those who use dialup are not hindered by a 30k sig. Even so, there's always an option in the User CP to not show signatures.

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

Default Re: Increase the sig size?

I agree with you, Kekvit Irae. Having a increased signature size is a good thing to have

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Post Re: Increase the sig size?

I sort of agree. This sig (that EB members have) is no longer allowed as it is too large (I think as it didn't allow me to use the smaller non-member version):

Never really bothered me....

If you're desparate there's plenty of ways around the limitations, but i'm not going to mention any of them because it's here for a reason and i respect that...

Still, in the days of high speed internet access, i really don't think there's a need for a 10k limit on sigs...
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

OT
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu @ 12-30-2005, 23:48

Only enabled in style Experimental at this moment to show the idea.

Go to userCP edit Options and enable Broadband user, you can enter an extra signature picture in UserCP/edit Profile if you haven't already done so. Then Select the Experimental skin and look at the board again. Not everyone has the extra picture enabled yet, so you may have to browse to one of your own posts. You'll see a signature and below that your extra picture, extended signature (for now).

I said no limits, but keep it reasonable, no jokes with multi megabyte pictures.

It will be enabled (option) in other skins, when users think it's good to have and when you have worked out among yourselves what the limits should be, filesize and picturedimensions. Please start a new topic in the Watchtower about it.
    Please note: option, user agreed upon settings.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

I only use the RTW skin, so I'm missing out on showing some of my christmas pretties I get from Gaia.

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    It will be enabled (option) in other skins, when users think it's good to have and when you have worked out among yourselves what the limits should be, filesize and picturedimensions.
    In other words:

-there is an option (that implies that only those users will see it who volutarily chosed to see it).
    -it will be enabled (i.e. the option to display more) in other skins too.
    -there are whens. The first when is actually met already (i.e. there are users who like the option). The second when is waiting for about a year now: users are expected to agree among themselves what the limits will be. It should be clear that this discussion only applies to the users who will actually use the option and not to the users who do not like Cola and also insist that other people will not drink Cola.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have ultra bandwidth and think that 200 mb per user would not affect my browsing pleasure too much. However, I also have a little screen and thus I consider 10*10 pixels enough.

Please, understand that both statements are both incompatible with mainstream logic and also NOT reflect my own situation, but only serve to illustrate one or more points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will the users, who have the honest intention to use the option to display a larger image, please be so kind to move the discussion towards one about filesize and picturedimensions?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Will the users, who have the honest intention to use the option to display a larger image, please be so kind to move the discussion towards one about filesize and picturedimensions?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what this thread is about?

Only #1 contains some actual proposed limits.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

We'll get this ball rolling.

Extra picture for broadband users is now enabled. Note that there are still narrowband users (for whatever reason). So, keep in mind to use your normal signature too for 'advertising'. The extra one also only supports one picture, no text. A flash picture doesn't work, unless you manage to input the whole code.

Animated images are no problem, as long as it does not contain sound and/or eye/brain unpleasant animations. Pictures can be 500 pixels wide and 200 high. The filesize is set to 100.0 kb. These are todays limits and members are expected to respect those. However, they are always open to discussion and will be changed when the BroadBand users agree about new limits.

Have fun.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Sounds good, though i'd argue that the 100kb limit's a bit low for that resolution (especially if you want to use transparencies, as pngs are usually a fair bit bigger than that).

A max of 500kb gets my vote.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    A max of 500kb gets my vote.
    Fine with me if the bb users agree about that.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

NO!
    500kb is definitely too much for something that is 500x200 pixels. Heck, on Gaia, they have a size restriction of 100kb, and there are no problems fitting a 500x500 jpg into there. Half a megabyte will screw over both the low AND high bandwidth people.
    Some people need to learn how to use Save For Web in photoshop instead of using PNGs. Transparent GIFs in 256 colors at 75% diffusion works as well.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

What's the latest on this?

I just saw a 22k sig.
    20k instead of 10 would be nice when we keep the dimensions of 500*200.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Hello R'as al Ghul,

Still the old 10.0 kb limits for the regular sig. 100.0 kb for te extra broadband picture.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Okay, a technical question:
    Is it hypothetically possible to have a larger sig? Isn't the board checking the size? I'm asking because of said seen signature with the size of 28052 bytes. If I'm calculating correctly that's more than twice the size?

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by R'as al Ghul
    Okay, a technical question:
    Is it hypothetically possible to have a larger sig? Isn't the board checking the size? I'm asking because of said seen signature with the size of 28052 bytes. If I'm calculating correctly that's more than twice the size?
    It does when creating the sig. It has however no check after that. That would slow the board.

Yes, it is possible to get a larger picture in. It's recommended to fix oversized pictures. The Extra picture box is for the larger ones.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae
    NO!
    500kb is definitely too much for something that is 500x200 pixels. Heck, on Gaia, they have a size restriction of 100kb, and there are no problems fitting a 500x500 jpg into there. Half a megabyte will screw over both the low AND high bandwidth people.
    Some people need to learn how to use Save For Web in photoshop instead of using PNGs. Transparent GIFs in 256 colors at 75% diffusion works as well.
    First off, sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was instructed to from up on high (no not God - but close, at least for our purposes here).

I have to agree with Kekvit Irae here - 500 KB is just too much for a picture that size. A 500 x 200 pic is 100,000 pixels, which means a 500KB size allots 5 Bytes per pixel of the image. A typical image can be stored in dazzling color using 8 bits per pixel for each channel of the RGB trio, giving 24 bits total, or 3 Bytes total per pixel. For web purposes (and almost all purposes, frankly) 24-bit color is great, since it represents 256 levels of each color, which is generally what the standard is anyway ATM. This yields 256^3 = 16,777,216 possible colors, which is the familiar 16M amount for any of you acquainted with 24-bit "true color." The end result is that a 500 x 200 image should not ever require more than 300KB + some small bit of file overhead to store, and that is assuming it is entirely uncompressed in 24-bit color. Even the lossless formats generally have some compression available, which would further lower the space required to store such an image perfectly in true color. I would suggest that 250KB is easily achievable without any loss to a 100K pixel image at all (I just tried one and achieved a 202KB PNG file - other formats were not as good), and 200KB is sometimes possible via lossless compression, depending on the image. 100KB should be easily achievable with lossy formats (most notably JPEG) and with enough quality remaining that you'll barely be able to tell the difference, if at all. I just sized a screenshot I had taken down to 500 x 200 and saved it lossless, then as a quality 10 JPEG. I spent 1 minute tabbing between them, and could not tell a single thing that was changing at all, yet the JPEG managed to be under 100KB. So, in case there is any doubt on the issue, 100KB is plenty good enough for quality signature viewing.

If anyone wants to make a case for supporting lossless sigs then they can of course feel free to do so, however I am resting at this point as the difference in viewing is negligible to me, and the benefit in load times is enough to make the lower 100KB limit preferable.

On a separate but related matter, is there some way that the larger Sig slot for broadband users can be advertised better as a feature? I had no idea that any such thing was available until I started asking about the 10KB sig limit being raised, and have to assume that most users likewise have not discovered this feature. It will do little good for anyone to have a larger signature slot unless other people are informed and may possibly choose to use it and therefore see those pics.

See my Sig+ below! (Don't see it? Get info here)

Ja mata

TosaInu

Could someone please merge the other sig thread (now locked) into this one? There were some comments made there that people may wish to discuss here, and it would help continuity in that regard.

Also, thanks for the FAQ update TosaInu, it's much appreciated.

See my Sig+ below! (Don't see it? Get info here)