Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ORG's emoticons

Default Re: ORG's emoticons

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Kawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Big thank you, Husar-chan I have always found a big affection for these smilies.

Now to list each forum member by smilie.

- ACIN
    - Left Eye Nine
    - Askthepizzaguy
    - Andres
    - TinCow
    - Secura

More to come!

Desu desu desu desu desu desu desu.

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

The implementation is fast! Thanks so much and I hope the cuteness will ease our mind a bit and paint a better future for the ORG.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Are they really outdated? I can think of 5 different forums I've gone on from time to time in the last few years. All are quite big with a lot of posters. I believe 3 are newer than the Org. All but one are heavily populated by users in their teens. They all use the small yellow smilies, often with some additional sets that vary in appearance but still fit in more or less in size and style (like the Warhammer Ork smilies on dakkadakka). Oddly, only the one with the older base (where people in their twenties make up the bulk of the "younger" posters) has much in the way of smilies that are both higher in detail and much bigger than the little generic yellow guy.

I don't doubt there are forums that use entirely different types of smilies, but I'm not sure most people see a yellow one and think "old fashioned" either.

At any rate, no complaints about the new smilies, except maybe their size. Must admit I thought at first they were supposed to be that cat from the old Pokemon cartoon, not onions.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltz View Post
    But since I just returned to the ORG after maybe 6 years of absence, I have noticed that how the "outside world" has been changing. The ORG's small smileys really look outdated today, although they did look superb and were the mainstream.
    Last edited by Zim; 05-07-2012 at 01:08.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Nice work, Husar.

So, what do people think?

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Must admit I thought at first they were supposed to be that cat from the old Pokemon cartoon, not onions.
    Gasp! You mean Meowth!

Yes, I did play the original pokemon game to death, and watched the cartoon series when I came home from school. It's etched into my brain.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

Nope.
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

The smiley system has undergone a minor overhaul to try and improve its usability. It is now divided into the following categories:

Commonly Used
    Expressions/Moods
    Thread/Post Commentary
    Actions/Situations
    Alcohol
    Violent/Aggressive
    Objects
    People/Creatures
    Shogun/Japanese
    Christmas
    Zodiac
    Onion Heads
    National Flags
    US State Flags
    Canadian Flags

Of these Expressions/Moods, People/Creatures, and National Flags are still pretty bulky, clocking in at 210, 122, and 217 smilies respectively. People/Creatures and National Flags contain smilies which don't get much use, so I'm not too concerned about the size of those. Expressions/Moods has lots of commonly used smilies though, and it's still pretty large. I'm not quite sure how to further categorize it though. Also, there is no organization at the moment within these groups. If anyone has any suggestions on further reorganization, or would like to assist in doing intra-category organization, please speak up.

Oh, and when you hit More on the Smilies button, you no longer get a giant list of the smilies. Instead, there's a dropdown menu that allows you to select from the Categories so that you only see those. It defaults to Commonly Used. Staff testing has shown a display error for this feature for a Chrome user, but I have been unable to replicate it. Please let me know if you experience any oddities with this feature; the more information I get on it the better.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Great work TC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Can we get a "desu" button? Ctrl V gets tiring.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yuck.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

I have a minor problem to report of the new category formatting: when I use IE, the emoticons are all right-shifted and only a fraction of it is displayed. But in chrome it appears normal. Is there anyway we can do about it?

Confirmed, I experience this as well with... *shudder*... IE. I will see what I can do

More onionhead smilies have been added. Including my favourite from the static image at the start of this thread:

Enjoy.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

After a while.I must confess.Im loving the onion heads!
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Is is possible for the national flags to be organised alphabetically? Rather annoying looking for a particular flag when there appears to be no sorting geographically or otherwise.

Control-F?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Control-F?
    Doesn't work for me, you?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mont is talking about using the browsers in-built "find" function to get the flags you are wanting. For example, with Chrome, it would look like this..

Whilst it doesn't solve the issue you are voicing, it is a possible "workaround" solution to quickly find what flags you are after in particular.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Mont is talking about using the browsers in-built "find" function to get the flags you are wanting. For example, with Chrome, it would look like this..

Whilst it doesn't solve the issue you are voicing, it is a possible "workaround" solution to quickly find what flags you are after in particular.
    Ahem. I knew that. Like, totally. It, erm, didn't work first time, but is fine now. Totally. Weird how it didn't work first time, when I totally knew what I was doing. Totally.

Some of the code for smilies can be updated to general use. I mean :p and :lol: are much more user friendly than and

The flags can be arranged alphabetically. I'll see if I can find some time to sort them, though I hope you'll understand that it will be low priority so it may take a while.

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    Some of the code for smilies can be updated to general use. I mean :p and :lol: are much more user friendly than and
    The problem with that is that doing so will remove those smilies from old posts that used the old codes. For that reason, it's generally a bad idea to change the code substitution for smilies.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    The flags can be arranged alphabetically. I'll see if I can find some time to sort them, though I hope you'll understand that it will be low priority so it may take a while.
    Seriously, don't worry about it, Control F is a more than convenient method of finding them. The posts I need the flags for contain the country name anyway, so it's just as quick to copy paste, then put a colon at each end.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    The problem with that is that doing so will remove those smilies from old posts that used the old codes. For that reason, it's generally a bad idea to change the code substitution for smilies.
    Can't you make so that either old or new codes work?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12