Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Iga Ninjutsu is Good (Hattori: Legendary, Domination, V5445)

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Default Re: Iga Ninjutsu is Good (Hattori: Legendary, Domination, V5445)

Chisato: "Anymore news from Pocket Times?"
    Goemon: "Hm... Hattori has established sea trade with Takaoka through Settsu's port. Not a bad start of a long-term friendship."
    Chisato: "Why do we want to befriend Takaoka?"
    Goemon: "Because we will have no army in Kinki for a while. We want to befriend everybody. The smaller clans only has one province, so we can temporarily stop their expansion by sabotaging their castle. The largest clans are producing new units anyway, so we better make them like us quickly."
    Chisato: "I see..."

Chisato: "Lord Yasunaga mentioned he will stay and defend Kinki. How does he do that without army?"
    Goemon: "Quite similar to what a Ninja does. He picks a castle and constantly harasses it. I think he is on his way to Omi."
    Chisato: "What if the rebel sally from the castle?"
    Goemon: "He will run around until the rebels get the dinner call."
    Chisato: "What if another clan attacks the province?"
    Goemon: "They will have to wait until we cancel the siege. Which will never happen."
    Chisato: " So Omi will be forever a rebel province?"
    Goemon: "Exactly. That made our Kinki defence 25% easier. The other three fronts are now maintain by three Ninja."
    Chisato: "So we can throw all units at Kyushu!"

Momochi Sandayu: "Chisato! nice to see you arrive so early."
    Chisato: "Yes, I was very excited about this mission. I arrived last night and slept on the deck."
    Sandayu: " Good, good. Well, you must be tired by now. Shipping more than two thousand soldiers with a Bow Kobaya is not an easy task. So you can go ahead and take a nap in the lower cabin."
    Chisato: "It is OK. I heard it will take more than 200 days to sail to northern Kyushu. I can rest later."
    Sandayu: "This is the inland sea, not the Atlantic Ocean! We will wake you up when we arrive."
    Chisato: "Huh...?"

Chisato: "Hm... too many people chatting, can't sleep for long. Are we there yet?"
    Sandayu: "Not yet. We just discovered that the Ouchi clan is an ally of our target, Shoni clan. Luckily we have prepared gifts to forfeit their alliance."
    Chisato: "Ouchi's friendship is quite cheap..."
    Sandayu: "Yeah. They are not to be trsuted in the future. Now go back to get some more sleep. We will wake you up when we get there."

Chisato: "Are we there yet? Huh? How come I am lying on the sand?"
    Goemon: "We tried to wake you up but you slept like a pig. So I carried you down the ship."
    Chisato: "Abandoned by the clan? Please give me one more chance!"
    Goemon: "Calm down... We were dropped on this beach because Tsukushi beach is too small. We will simply meet up with the army later."
    Chisato: "I see... oh, isn't this Yukimune?"
    Yukimune: "And you must be Chisato. Nice to meet you! Master Momochi let me tell you that your mission is to accompany his army, while I make sure eastern Kyushu is under control."
    Chisato: "It looks like I will see most of the action!"

Note1: Using the ship relay method, it is possible transport an army instantly from one end of Japan to another as long as the relay chain connects. In short, it works like this:

1. Army boards Ship A
    2. Ship A sails and merges with Ship B. Important: Ship A must have a little movement left.
    3. Ship A sails away, army now with Ship B
    4. Ship B sails and merges with Ship C, and son on.

Note2: When unloading units and agents on a beach, if we unload the entire army at once, both the ship and the army will lose all of their movement points. Any agents would be stuck on the ship for another season. However, if we first unload the agents (as in the story), the ship can still use its remaining movement points.

Note3: When unloading units, it is better to unload most, but not all, units first. This way, the general leading the landed unit frequently has a tiny movement left just enough to lay siege on a nearby castle.

In the campaign, Momochi's army left the Settsu port, switched two ships, landed on the beach north of Tsukushi, and took the castle all within the same turn.

End of Chapter 4

Chapter 5. Evasive Invasion

Goemon: "Chisato, Lord Yasunaga just got another baby girl."
    Chisato: "But I am on a beach in Kyushu..."
    Goemon: "You can always prepare a gift and ask someone to bring it back."
    Chisato: "Yeah. I heard that the Chinese silk is being traded in Hizen. If I can get silk baby clothes..."
    Goemon: "I like your taste!"

Note: In this campaign I tried to find out the mechanics of baby makings in the game. Here are the things I found:

1. Babies are born randomly at the beginning of a season. If we can generate a new random seed (such as by loading a new game save), there is a chance of having a baby born in the next season.

2. Babies cannot be born at the beginning of the game for a number of turns. In this game I could not get a baby until turn 7. I wonder whether this is related to the number of territories and number of existing generals.

3. Subsequent babies cannot be born within less than a year.

4. In this campaign, the most (re)productive Hattori Yasunaga I could achieve was to have a new baby on Turn 7, 11, 15, and 19, four autumns in a row. I did not really need so many sons and daughters - just to see what's possible.

Note: Manually fighting a battle generates a new random seed even if you do not load a game - I guess the game is still "loaded" at the end of the battle.

Chisato: "Ah... I miss the Sake Dens in Kinki. How did the demolition go?"
    Goemon: "I heard the temple has been completed in Yamato, famous for its Buddhists roots. The first Hattori monk, Michiharu, is heading to Kyushu."
    Chisato: "Oh? What for?"
    Goemon: "So many things for monks to do! We will see... "

Chisato: "Master Momochi! It is good to see that you took the Tsukushi castle with ease. What is your order?"
    Sandayu: "We took Tsukushi easily because Shoni's army is not around - they are somewhere south. Your mission is to report their exact numbers. We will beat them!"
    Chisato: "I am on it!"

Chisato: "Master Momochi, Shoni's army is just south of Tsukushi. Their army consists of a large number of samurai."
    Sandayu: "Samurai?! We... cannot beat them. "
    Chisato: "So what should we do?"
    Sandayu: "The Hattori army will directly attack the Hizen castle! You can do whatever you want."
    Chisato: "But what about Shoni's army?"
    Sandayu: "They will disappear in Tsukushi. "
    Chisato: "oh?..."

Note: The #1 cause of death of Shogun 2 AIs is having their home stolen when their army is away in another province.

Chisato: "Shoni's samurai army is away, so it looks like Master Momochi took Hizen easily, too."
    Goemon: "According to Pocket Times Momochi did not command the castle assault. Let me read the paragraph here..."

General Momochi selflessly allowed his trusted second-in-command, Yari Samurai captain Sawada Takamochi to lead the assault of the castle. The Hattori army fought fiercely under Sawada's command and scored a flawless victory against Shoni's samurai defenders in Hizen.

Chisato: "There are only 45 samurai defenders against two thousand Hattori soldiers... "
    Goemon: "The general public does not have to know that. Here is another paragraph..."

Being a loyal samurai of the Hattori clan for three generations and a faithful practitioner of Iga Ninjutsu, Captain Sawada has been formally promoted to the rank of family officer."

Chisato: "So this Sawada practices Iga Ninjutsu?"
    Goemon: "Maybe? The Pocket Times tends to link any nice person to Iga Ninjutsu anyway. You don't have to take their journalism seriously. "
    Chisato: "Anyway, It is good to see the Hattori clan getting more powerful by the day."

Note: There is a chance to promote a new general after a battle is commanded no existing generals. Conditions:

(1) The scale of the battle is not too small
    (2) There cannot be any formal general participating, even as reinforcements
    (3) The clan must have more than 1000 in the treasury

The best bet to get new general is to save the game before auto-resolving an easy castle assault. The only drawback of having more generals is that previously promoted generals will receive a loyalty penalty for each additional general promoted after them.

Sandayu: "Welcome to Hizen, Chisato."
    Chisato: "Master Momochi, it is good to see you again! Any mission for me?"
    Sandayu: "There is always a mission for you. Travel to Higo and try to locate Sagara's army. Sagara is our next target!"
    Chisato: "Ok!"

Goemon: "So this is Hizen, the richest place in Japan..."
    Chisato: "Huh? I thought Kii or the Gold-mine provinces had the highest profit potential."
    Goemon: "Hizen is famoous for its foreign trade. Taking control of this province is taking control of the nearby trade nodes. Even with no trade partners, trade profits easily approaches 10,000 koku per season."
    Chisato: "No wonder the Hattori is upgrading the trading port here... Do we have so much money for all these construction?"
    Goemon: "We do not. So we are extending the military access with the Ashikaga Shogunate. They never leave Kyoto anyway..."

Chisato: "Nice, the first trade ship has returned with famed Chinese silk!"
    Sandayu: "This is the beginning of Hattori's endless prosperity. "

Chisato: "Where have you been, Goemon? We are leaving for Higo soon."
    Goemon: "I just returned from the clan meeting."
    Chisato: "You were invited?"
    Goemon: "Nope. But the security was loose enough so I pretty much eavesdropped the entire session. Mostly boring common sense..."
    Chisato: "So what are the decisions?"
    Goemon: "The HQ wants the first army to complete the conquest of Kyushu in the counter-clockwise order."
    Chisato: "That's not news... anything else?"

Goemon: "Grab as many trade nodes nearby and flood them with trade ships."
    Chisato: "That goes without saying. What else?"

Goemon: "The HQ noted that the Chisokabe clan is about to unite the Shigoku island. So Hattori must launch an attack to Shigoku in the near future."
    Chisato: "But we only have one army, and we still have a number of clans to clear up in Kyushu..."
    Goemon: "So there must a second army soon!"

Chisato: "There is no sighting of Sagara in Higo! Better report this to Master Momochi. By the way I broke their gate lock as usual."
    Goemon: "Not necessary! Look who is here!"
    Chisato: "Master!"
    Sandayu: "Chisato! Congratulations for providing an excellent service to the Hattori clan. I am here to present you the certificate of level 4 ninja!"

Chisato: "Thank you!"
    Sandayu: "From now on, you proudly wear... this additional black cloth to cover your mouth."
    Chisato: "Huh? That's a reward to achieve a higher level?"
    Sandayu: "The key to survival as a great ninja is low-key, Chisato. For your own protection, you should avoid being identified."
    Chisato: "That makes some sense. But why do the high-level monks expose more of their body?"
    Sandayu: "They do that? "

Sandayu: "Oh by the way you can still get another retainer. I give you two choices. Either this wonderfully designed disguise makeup kit to becoming a geisha, or this carefully poisoned dagger. Hm... they are not exactly retainers..."
    Chisato: "Why do I want to disguise as a geisha?"
    Sandayu: "Sometimes some people like to cross dress, you know? It always gives me the extra pleasure... Er... you didn't hear anything."
    Chisato: "I will pick the dagger then~"

Chisato: "Goemon, have you heard about other ninjas in the family?"
    Goemon: "Sure, from time to time their reports get circulated on Pocket Times. Not long ago there was Masakata's report from Ise, that an large Asai army was spotted and was about to run over the Kitabatake clan, which was chronically weakened by our ninja."
    Chisato: "Isn't Asai clan from Wakasa? How did they get there?"
    Goemon: "Invasions can go mysteriously ways. Let's hope Imagawa is already defeated by Oda."

Chisato: "Poor Kitabatake. They had the funds to hire more troops, but their castle gate is constantly under repair."
    Goemon: "Definitely they could donate the extra funds to Hattori before they go out. We will make good use of them."

Goemon: "Chisato, did you hear the news that Hattori monks have arrived in Kyushu?"
    Chisato: "Makes sense, the rapidly expanding Nanban religion in Kyushu is seeding unrests."
    Goemon: "Actually they are here to create unrests."
    Chisato: "Oh?"
    Goemon: "Brute expansion easily gets other clans angry... although apparently it only applies to us. So we need to avoid taking provinces from another clan."
    Chisato: "Then how do we expand?"
    Goemon: "We take it from the hands of rebels, who replafce the clans."
    Chisato: "Wonderful diplomatic agents!"

Chisato: "Goemon, so what's the HQ's response of the new neighbor Sakai?"
    Goemon: "Other than selling them military access? I guess Masakata will keep breaking their castle gates..."
    Chisato: "I am glad I did not get assigned to that boring job..."

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

@Maltz

This clearly deserves more attention.
    Mind if I dedicate a new article on this and post the story again in the AAR section of the mead hall?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Of course - thank you!

Goemon: "Chisato, Hattori has declared war to Sagara! Momochi's army is at the border of Higo."
    Chisato: "Sagara's ally Ito has also declared war on Hattori. Must let Master Momochi know!"

Momochi: "Higo is almost undefended! Let's steal it before Sagara's army comes back!"
    Chisato: "Master! Ito has also declared war on us. What's your order?"
    MOmochi: "We will let the monks and their buddhist gospels handle Ito from behind. For now let's focus on Sagara. Chisato, scout ahead and locate the Sagara army."

Chisato: "Master, Sagara's full-stack army is not far away from the Higo castle!"
    Momochi: "Who is their leader?"
    Chisato: "Their daimyo and his son!"
    Momochi: "Chisato, the fate of Hattori now lies on your shoulder. Go assassinate Sagara's daimyo!"
    Chisato:

End of Chapter 5

Chapter 6 Shadow's Call

Chisato: "Master, I have never killed a chicken. How do I assassinate the daimyo of the Sagara clan?"
    Momochi: "The greatest obstacle to become a good ninja is not to overcome your physical limit, but to overcome your mental burden. Killing is easy and fast. Living with the memory and disturbance of mind is hard and forever."
    Chisato: "Exactly, Master. How can I face myself, my parents, and the emperor if I am a murderer?"
    Momochi: "In this regard, killing people is mentally easier than killing chicken."
    Chisato: "Huh?"
    Momochi: "You see, you do not have to eat chicken. Monks eat vegetables, and they only have a slightly higher chance of kidney stones, while meat eaters get higher risks of heart attacks. But enemies... if you do not kill them, they kill you. If you are dead, there is nothing good you can do to this world."
    Chisato: "But that does not change the fact that I have to murder a person."
    Momochi: "The law during war times is different, Chisato. After the war is over, you murder a person. During the war, you fight for your survival, and your people's survival! A well-harted assassin makes things quick and painless. It is the best he could do to his victims.
    Chisato: "Please teach me the ways to make things quick and painless!"
    Momochi: "Come!"

In the field of night's deep, Sagara soldiers sound asleep.
    Dreams are warm and sweet; upon an assassin quietly sneaks.
    Iga Ninjutsu is good; the target he now seeks.

Daimyo sits in his tent, poetry mediocre at best.
    Poisoned dagger through his heart, breath makes final pass.
    Ninja's mission over, painless and fast.

Note: A video clip covering Chisato's mission and Battle of Higo will be available at the end of this chapter.

Chisato: "Master! Sagara daimyo's life has been taken! The Sagara army fell into disarray!"
    Sandayu: "Soldiers, tonight we will defeat the Sagara army! We march to victory!"

Sandayu: "The Sagara army lost their commander in the dark - this is Hattori's night!"
    Chisato: "Another great battle taking place in front of my eyes!"

Goemon: "Yes, lets find a tallest tree to observe this battle!"
    Chisato: "Yeah, let's go!"
    Sadawa Takamochi (second-in-command of Hattori's 1st army): "Wait~ Ninja Chisato, General Momochi wants to speak with you again!"

Sandayu: "Can you show me where exactly is Sagara's camp?"
    Chisato: "Around this (red) area. The camp was on a low flat land surrounded by small hills. There were trees on the hills."
    Takamochi: "Hm... the low flat land in the middle is terrible for defence. I think the Sagara army will quickly go for a nearby hill."
    Sandayu: "Makes sense. Chisato, which hill was the nearest and largest?"
    Chisato: "The hill on the southwest."
    Takamochi: "Once the Sagara army goes for that hill, we will have trouble taking them down."
    Sandayu: "We can sneak up most of our army to that hill and intercept them. The rest of the army attack them from behind!"
    Takamochi: "Good idea! The moment our two armies meet is the moment of Sagara army's collapse!"

Silently, the Hattori army has marched onto the hill beside Sagara's camp...

Chisato: "General Momochi lights the latern from the north! The Sagara army is in panic!"
    Goemon: "Looks like the plan works. The Sagara army are moving toward the hill! But there are a lot more laterns there waiting for them..."

Chisato: "Is that Sagara's General? The late-daimyo's son?"
    Goemon: "Yeah. He ran up the hill for safety, leaving his soldiers behind. But he bumped right into the thickest part of Hattori's Ashigaru. There is no way he could survive this."

I'm thoroughly impressed by your manipulation of the AI. It will be interesting to see what happens come realm divide though, when you can't limit your enemies.

Also, I love the onion heads!

Chisato: "The Sagara general was killed! But the Sagara ashigaru swarmed up the hill!"
    Goemon: "Looks like we underestimated the morale of Sagara ashigaru. The Hattori line must hold until the reinforcement arrrive!"
    Chisato: "The Hattori spear wall is slowly wrapping up the Sagara mob in the middle!"

Chisato: "Heated battle in the forest. Both sides are evenly matched!"
    Goemon: "We must quickly create a routing point of the Sagara army!"

Chisato: "The Sagara Yari Ashigaru also formed their own spear wall! None is making significant advance on the other."
    Goemon: "Spear wall is weak on its side! Flank them!"

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast