Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a God of War (Uesugi: Legednary, Domination)

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Default Re: Making a God of War (Uesugi: Legednary, Domination)

"WAAA!"
    Jinbo's ashigaru screams as the entire row is instantly decimated. They fall down on their comrades further down the slope, triggering a cascade of terror!

"RUN!~~~"
    Jinbo's men flees for their lives, only to hear the ground tremors loudly behind them.
    Nagao Kagetora is charging down hill with his guards - on the horse!
    Jinbo's men roll and fly all over the place!

"Please let me go! Let me go! Let me WAAA~~"

The last ashigaru screams as one of Kagetora's guard severes his head from behind with a sharp Katana.
    The head rolls toward Kagetora, stopped by his feet.
    Terror is forever carved on his face.

"He was pleading for his life..."
    Kagetora feels really uncomfortable about this.
    Blood is fine, but killing a begging enemy...

"Kagetora, this is a battlefield. On the battlefield, if you show mercy to an enemy, the enemy will turn around and kill your soldiers. So essentially you are showing cruelty to your own soldiers. As a commander, you should always take your soldiers' lives as the first priority."
    "Ok, Nomi. On the battlefield, I should focus on destroying the enemy whenever possible."
    "Revision: On the battlefield, we should focus on destroying the enemy with minimal loss on our side whenever possible."
    "Got it, thanks!"

That's the spirit of Echigo-style.
    Now Kagetora has to quickly forget that head, as this is still a battlefield.

"If this is not a battlefield, can I show the enemy mercy?" Kagetora wondered in his mind.

"My lord! The Ashigaru unit we sent after Nagao Kagetora has been wiped out!"
    "I could see it from here..."

Jinbo Nagamoto clinches his fist tightly.
    How can he not revenge for his father? If he is again defeated by the son of his father's killer, the shame would be so overwhelming that he'd rather die.

"Jinbo Nagamoto, see? You are no match to Nagao. Quit fighting! The Ikko-Ikki is coming!"
    Jinbo Nagamoto cannot bear to hear Nagao Kagetora's girlish voice. He can easily kill this man!

"CHARGE!"
    Jinbo Nagamoto charges downhill! His bodyguards are all shocked! They have to follow their lord!

"Nagao Kagetora! Come fight me if you are a human!"

Kagetora: "Nagamoto is calling for a duel! If I do not agree I would not be a human..."
    Nomi: "This is a battlefield! The enemy also wants to destroy you using whatever means possible. If you listen to his orders, you are too stupid to be a human. Bring him back!"

Kagetora and his bodyguards quickly turn back, while Nagao's Yari Ashigaru rush forward, in an attempt to intercept the enemey! Nagao Masakage also rushes to help!

"Attack!"
    Kagetora and bodyguards pass through his infantry!

"It is time to show Jinbo what Nagao is made of! CHARGE!"
    Under their captain's order, 400 Nagao Yari Ashigaru charge at Jinbo Nagamoto's 40 bodyguards!

"Don't run away! ATTACK!"
    Jinbo Nagamoto and bodyguards raise their Katana as they charge into the yari ashigaru!

"YAAAA----"

The two sides clash! Most of ashigaru on the first row are bumped into the sky!
    Swords cross spears; horses and men yell; blood and flesh splatter!

While Jinbo Nagamoto commands the clan's finest samurai, their katana cannot always reach the ashigaru below. If a long yari finds their horses' body, the samurai will be helplessly thrown to the ground. Even so, Jinbo's guards are determined to protected their daimyo. Nagao's ashigaru are losing the battle, even though they have ten times more men...

Nomi: "Good work, Kagetora. Jinbo is now trapped on three sides. Let's circle to his back and cut off his escape route. Then we get him good."
    Kagetora: "Our men are losing the fight! We can't just stand and watch!"
    Nomi: "Our ashigaru vastly outnumber the enemy. Even if we are losing a bit, our number will prevail. And ashigaru replenish quickly anyway."
    Kagetora: "No! I can't stand to see my men dying! Even if they are just ashigaru!"

Kagetora turned to face his bodyguards.

"Listen! We attack now! Follow me and charge Jinbo's back!"

Kagetora's bodyguards are a little confused, as it seems a little bit early for Kagetora to throw himself into danger. Nomi is also shocked by Kagetora's decision, but she quickly reacts!

"Lord Kagetora does not want to see his men dying! We shall not be afraid of the danger! Follow Lord Kagetora!"
    "Follow lord Kagetora!"

Usami Nomi raises her katana high, as he leads the charge right into the back of the chaotic melee!

Member thankful for this post:

As Kagetora's bodyguards join the fray, Jinbo's soldiers switched their attention to Kagetora! They asked for this! They want to kill Kagetora!

"YAAA!"
    Kagetora sees the eneny coming at his way and leaving the poor ashigaru behind, a tremendous courage comes to his heart! He charges into the enemies, swinging his katana fearlessly! Time seems to slow down in front of Kagetora, as his blade quickly finds the weakness of every opponent!

"WAAA~"
    "OOH~"
    Jinbo Nagamoto's bodyguards are no match to Kagetora's surge of power and skills! One by one falls down from their horse!

"Kill him! Kill him!"
    Jinbo Nagamoto's orders his bodyguards to take down the seemingly invincible Kagetora, but hides himself in the back - unprotected.

"Jinbo Nagamoto!"
    Usami Nomi seizes the oppurtunity and gallops forth - she is already right in the back of him!

"It is Nagao Kagetora!"
    Jinbo Nagamoto recogizes this voice! Confused for a moment, he turns around to find Kagetora, only to see a shiny reflection of the autumn sun flashing in front of his chest!

"WAAAA!~~"
    The slash breaks Nagamoto's armor, skin and ribs! Jinbo Nagamoto screams as he falls down the horse - dead within seconds!

"YEAH!~~~"

The surviving Nagao ashigaru cheers with their arms in the air.
    As Nagao Masakage charged in at last, none of Jinbo Nagamoto's bodyguards made it out.
    Nagao defeated Jinbo Nagamoto's 40 bodyguards with roughly an equal cost of 40 men.

"Are you all right, my lord?"
    "Is lord Kagetora hurt?"
    The bodyguards surround Kagetora, who has blood splattered all over his armor.

"I am... Huu.. I am fine. "
    Kagetora is visibally tense - he has not realized that the enemies have fallen.

"We did not protect Lord Kagetora properly."
    "My lord is such a good fighter. You just killed six samurai double-handedly!"

"It is fine... it was over so quickly, there was not much time to think."
    Even now Kagetora cannot think properly. It feels like a dream. He cannot recall all the details. It was all his instincts.

Masakage: "Sorry for being late, too. But Kagetora, you took a great risk just now. What if you get killed by a lucky nobody? Many battles were lost because the commander threw his life away too easily. It is not worth it to risk thousands to save a few dozens. Hm... but before you have a son, I am ranked no.2 in the clan's successor list. If you are gone..."

Nomi: "... are you seriously thinking about that, Masakage?"
    Kagetora: "Masakage only wants to ease the tension a little... Thank you, I am sorry. I will be more careful in the future."

Kagetora discovers a dead Nagao bodyguard not far from him - killed because of his reckless decision.
    Kagetora dismounts and sits beside the bodyguard's blood-stained body.

"It is my fault." Kagetora's vision is blurred.

Masakage wants to say something (that he thinks is) funny but holds his tongue just in time. He remembers that Kagetora's favorite book is the romantic novel Tales of Genji. This is who Kagetora is.

Masakage: "Don't forget to present his family an appreciation certifate.
    Kagetora: "Certainly."
    Masakage: "Hm... you know what? I never thought Kagetora was a good fighter, but just now you were nothing less than a sword saint! Your katana was cutting their throats, severing their arms, breaking their legs, splitting their heads, penetrating their chests... nobody lasted more than three rounds. Who is this new tutor or must I have been dreaming?"
    Kagetora: "I only know about pulling the rubber bow... I just had this sudden surge of courage, as if I am not controlling myself."
    Nomi: "It is normal for a fighter to experience a trance, as if you are possessed by the God of War Bishamonten! It will go away after a while."
    Masakage: "What? How come when I get mad, people only see my face turning red and jumping around like a gorilla?"

As they speak, a large group of ashigaru have surrounded Kagetora in the middle."

"Thank you, my lord, for helping us when we most need it!"
    "You saved our lives!"
    "The enemies are no match of Lord Kagetora!"
    "We are proud to be a member of Nagao clan!"

"Thank you. I think I just got lucky..."

"You must be the true avatar of Bishamonten!"
    "Lord Kagetora, we will spread the words about what just happened! So everybody knows how great you are!"

"Ok let's come back to the battle - it is not over yet! Go back to where you were!"

The Yari Ashigaru are returning to their spot. There are still half of the enemy remaining.

"Thank you, Nomi, for defeating Jinbo Nagamoto. You will receive the top honor of this battle."
    "This is what I've always been dreaming - defeating the enemy taisho among ten thousand men. Please let me do it more in the future."

Nomi takes a large step on the stirrup, and mounts her horse in a flawless blackflip - ending straight up on her steed. The other bodyguards could only watch in awe.

"Is Kagetora really so good? I did not have the time to watch..."
    "What if he is really Bishamonten's avatar? He is born on the same day as me. My father once told me that there was a beautiful rainbow cloud drifting from Kasuga Mountain on the day I was born..."
    "Or are we falling into our own make-believe legend?"

There are many doubts in Usami Nomi's mind. But being one of Kagetora's bodyguards, she does not have to suspect who Kagetora really is, as she has to loyally protect Kagetora in either case. Looks like that this young man, who brings peace and joy to his followers, is truly worthwhile of people's allegiance.

Now the Jinbo army has lost their commander. The remaining 300+ ashigaru keep wiping their sweats from their palms.

"Shall we retreat into the castle?"
    "Many of us have lost fathers or elder brothers to the Nagao clan! We cannot back off!"
    "Yes, we shall use our blood to proof our will! We should stay and fight!"

Yet under Nagao's double-headed tactics, the Yari Ashigaru easily fall into the trap. When Jinbo's men look up, they see Nagao Kagetora on top of the slope."

"OH No! Nagao Kagetora is on top of the hill!"
    "RUN!~~"

Jinbo's ashigaru starts fleeing even before Kagetora starts charging!

"Don't just stand there! Get to the horse and mow them down!"

Their fate have been sealed,
    Their wounds will not be healed.
    Accepting death, the last of them kneel,
    For there is no mercy on the battlefield.

There is only one unit left for Jinbo, but they did not flee.

Masakage: "I have been waiting for this... are we doing 'Split Chrysanthemum' again?"
    Nomi: "Actually in Echigo-style Law of Army, there are quite a number of ways for two cavalry units to defeat one bow. Want o try something else?"
    Masakage: "Sure!"
    Nomi: "If two cavalries delay their charging a bit, but control their timing to reach the enemy at the same time, then they will both perform a back-charge at an angle. Think of this as you holding cooked rice with both hands. As your palms come to a close, the rice each get squeezed to become paste, or fall through the cracks of your fingers."
    Masakage: "Wow. Looks like the two generals have to really coordinate on this one. What is it called? Crush Rice with Hands?"
    Nomi: "Its formal name is 'Twin Dragon's Pearl'.
    Kagetora: "Let's do 'Twin Dragon's Pearl'!"

As Jinbo's Bow Ashigaru marches pass them in a fruitless chase to Nagao's Yari Ashiagru, Kagetora sees Masakage coming from a distance. Is Masakage going to arrive at the same time? No time to think!

Kagetora: "CHARGE!"

The resulting impact was beyond words.
    160 Bow Ashigaru was reduced to 60 within seconds.
    It was all over.

The Battle of Toyama is over. Nagao defeated Jinbo's 600 with a loss of 44 men.
    The undefended Toyama Castle lays in front of Nagao Kagetora.
    Within moments, Nagao can finally defeat Jinbo, eliminating their long-time enemy once and for all.

But...

Note: I accidentally skipped over the battle result screen during video recording. When the new patch arrived, I could not get an accurate replay of what happened, so I also lost track of the exact number of men lost. 44 is a figure from memory.

Here comes the the Episode #02!
    The HD version (1080) is also available on Youtube. http://youtu.be/lplFYVn0nFQ?hd=1

The final 30 seconds of the episode will be a spoiler for future plots.
    But that's just the nature of the episodes as they are designed to be stand-alone drama (some plots before and after each significant battle).
    Enjoy!

Chapter 12. Reconciliation Effort

Masakage: "WHAT? Did Jinbo Nagamoto's bodyguard hit you in the head just now? Why don't we take Toyama castle? At most there will be a few bunch of castle guards."
    Nomi: "Kagetora, this is our best oppurtunity to eliminate our long-time enemy. We can use Bow Ashigaru to pick off their guards. There will be very little loss on our side."
    Kagetora: "The battle is over. Why do we want to kill them off?"

Even though the Nagao army is only steps away from Toyama Castle, Kagetora refused to issue the assault order. Are all the efforts for nothing?

Masakage: "Then what do you want to do, Kagetora?"
    Kagetora: "I want to reconcile with the Jinbo clan, and return to how things were two generations ago."
    Masakage: "Reconcile? Making friends? We killed two of their daimyos in a row. How can it happen?"
    Kagetora: "Didn't they contribute to the death of one of ours?"
    Masakage: "Well, we still owe them one. Unless Kagetora will sacrifice yourself?"

Masakage can't help but imagine that Kagetora heroically marches into the Toyama Castle and perform Seppuku. Autumn leaves fall; the white blade goes in; the red blade comes out along with some small intestine.

Kagetora: "Nope. It does not matter who killed how many... memories are just flickers of mind. And since the Nagao clan has decided on the strategy of developing foreign trades, we will not have the army to properly defend Etchu against Honganji's Ikko rebellion. If we reconcile with Jinbo, we can fight against Ikko-Ikki together."

Masakage: "Hm... OK, you convinced me. But Jinbo is different..."
    Nomi: "Kagetora, you can be trusted, but Jinbo cannot."

Kagetora: "The one who could not be trusted was Jinbo Yoshimune, but he is long gone. I heard that Jinbo Nagamoto's heir, Jinbo Nagazumi, is about the same age as me. Maybe he will understand me better. A peace treaty is better for both clans. Why wouldn't he, if the Jinbo clan can survive as a result?"

Although Kagetora thinks rationally, Nomi is afraid that Jinbo's next clan leader will be consumed by hatred. Few samurai can bear the shame of losing grandfather and father to the same enemy. The enormous pressure would definitely distort Jinbo Nagazumi's judgment.

Nomi: "Kagetora, people in this situation are usually too emotional to think."
    Kagetora: "Anger will not last forever. If we are patient, maybe we will talk some sense out of Jinbo Nagazumi."

Masakage: "BAH. I say we don't offer them a chance to betray us again. If somebody killed my grandfather and father, I will definitely seek revenge whenever I get the chance!"
    Nomi: "Yes. The feuds between neighboring clans are the destined tragedy of Sengoku Jidai and its generals. Let's take Jinbo out now before it has a chance to recover."

"What if Jinbo does not have a chance to recover?"

Winning a battle is easy, winning a person's heart is diffulct.
    Nagao Kagetora cannot do it alone - maybe Buddha's compassion could help.

Rizenji Munechika (林泉寺 宗睦)

Born in 1519. One of the best pupils of Tenshitsu Koiku, Zen Buddhist master of Rizenji. She was sent to Rizenji due to her family's proverty and her modest look (leaving her few chance to marry up). She studied hard in Rizenji and becomes the first "graduate" of Rizenji, joining the Nagao clan to assist Nagao Kagetora and to spread Buddhism in her travel.

Note: Monks tend to have similar names, so at the time they were commonly identified by their temples. For example, the master monk of Hongaji at this moment was Hongaji Shoyo.

Masakage: "Oh? Munechika is here."
    Munechika: "It takes soldiers to recover military strength. It takes recruits to make soldiers. It takes motivation to have recruits. With Buddha's wisdom and compassion, I shall remove their motivation."
    Masakage: "Wow. Pulling weeds with the roots? It might be difficult..."
    Munechika: "There is no limit in the universe of Buddhism. Lord Kagetora takes care of Jinbo, I will work on Etchu."

Munechika speaks at a modest pace and tone - hard to detect any emotion.

Kagetora: "It would be great if Munechika can stagnate Jinbo's military recovery. Let's work on pursuading Jinbo."
    Masakage: "Sounds like a good plan. Let's go!"
    Kagetora: "Oh sorry, I forgot to mention. I can go alone. Masakage, please lead the soldiers back to Kasugayama Castle."
    Masakage: "WHAT? You don't bring soldiers?"
    Kagetora: "I want to show my sincerity. Jinbo Nagazumi will see it more easily if I do not pressurize him with an overhwleming force. I will be fine with Nomi and the other bodyguards."
    Nomi: "Kagetora, this is too risky. As the chief bodyguard I cannot let you do it."

Nomi has been promoted to chief bodyguard for taking down Jinbo Nagamoto during the Battle of Toyama. She has the responsibility to keep Kagetora from danger.

Kagetora: "I actually think I am safer without soldiers. The bodyguards are all cavalry, so there is no way Jinbo Nagazumi can get to us. Besides, the sooner we reconcile with Jinbo, the safer we will be."
    Masakage: "That's true. And we need to replenish the lost numbers back in Echigo. Kasugayama Castle also needs to recruit more men. You can leave Echigo to me."
    Nomi: "Hm..."
    Masakage: "Nomi, Kagetora knows what he is doing. If Jinbo Nagazumi is like his grandfather and father, there is no chance he can harm Kagetora. Just don't all fall asleep together at night, OK?"
    Nomi: "Ok then."

Somehow Nomi knows what Kagetora wants to do is the best for Nagao and Jinbo. But how long would it take for Jinbo Nagazumi to realize that?

Munechika: "I shall be on my way, too."

With her hands in namaste (Buddhists' courtesy posture, palms touching each other in front of the chest), Munechika slowly walks away on her geta (wooden slippers).

The fallen leaves have turned to dust. The busy year is almost over.

But it is a very long winter for Kagetora, who with his bodyguards set up a large tent in front of Toyama Castle. They cannot all sleep at the same time. Fortunately, they could still purchase their supplies from the towns of Etchu.

Kagetora's letter has not been answered until today. Jinbo Nagazumi marches out of the Toyama Castle with his men!

Nagazumi: "Nagao Kagetora! Do not insult the Jinbo clan any further! Just do it quickly!"
    Kagetora: "I am not here to conquer Jinbo. Let's face Honganji together like before!"
    Nagazumi: "I hate Nagao! I'd rather chase you all the way to Echigo and have my castle stolen by Ikko-Ikki! ATTACK!"

The angry Jinbo Nagazumi charges out with his samurai guards. Kagetora and his bodyguards quickly mount their steed.
    The 15-year-old Jinbo Nagazumi is not rally a good fighter himself, so he stays behind his men.
    Yet since most of Jinbo's men are not mounted, they could only slowly charge at Kagetora, almost at walking speed.

With superior speed, Kagetora and his bodyguards move along the walls and trenches of Toyama Castle, easily keeping a safe distance from Jinbo Nagazumi.

Nagazumi: "Don't run away!"
    Kagetora: "I don't want to fight you, Nagazumi. If I wanted to fight, I would have done it two months ago. Let's talk."
    Nagazumi: "There is no talking needed! If I have to bear the shame of not revenging for my grandfater and father, I would rather die in your hands!"

Nomi: "So he would rather die in Kagetora's hands than killing Kagetora."
    Kagetora: "Maybe he is too emotional to talk now..."

The two armies continue to march along Toyama Castle.

Kagetora: "Nagazumi, look! I am not bringing any man! I do not hold any grudge against Jinbo. The past has nothing to do with our future!"
    Nagazumi: "Of course you don't! I didn't kill your father! I will curse you in my grave!"

It probably took Nagazumi two months to make up his mind - today he is finally ready to meet his end.
    But Kagetora has othter ideas.

Kagetora: "It is hard to neglect a long-time enemy..."

Suddenly, Kagetora realizes that they have made a full circle around Toyama Castle. The Nagao camp is again in sight.

Kagetora: "Don't the Jinbo clan wish to continue ruling Etchu?"
    Nagazumi: "Shut up! I just want to kill you! Or you come kill me! Let's do this!"
    Kagetora: "But the people of Etchu would prefer Jinbo's rule, right? Jinbo is guiding Etchu to prosperity!"
    Nagazumi: "You are an enemy! Your words are poisons! I will never listen to you!"

Kagetora realizes that Jinbo had invested in various infrastructures of Etchu, much like what Nagao did for Echigo. Jinbo do care about their people.

Nomi: "Kagetora, if he says he will never listen to you, how about asking him 'NOT' to reconcile with Nagao?"
    Kagetora: "I think this is not a good time to agitate him further."

So the two small armies made another five circles around Toyama Castle. Finally they have to stop the endless chase as the day ends. Before returning to the castle, Jinbo Nagazumi and his men completely tear up Kagetora's tent.

Nomi: "What a sore loser... Once he agrees with the peace treaty, let's not forget to charge him for all the damages."
    Kagetora: "The tent and pots are inexpensive. If some koku can release his anger, may it is very worth it?"

At the same time, in the towns of Etchu...

Rizenji Munechika: "Eh? Why are these people in line?"
    Ashigaru recruits: "We lost our jobs from the port. So we wish to become ashigaru to make a living."

"Joining the Jinbo clan?"
    "Yep. Who else?"
    "Oh... didn't you know? Jinbo clan lost a decisive battle in Toyama because they threw their ashigaru at Nagao's army like throwing eggs on brick wall. Jinbo does not value the lives of their ashigaru."
    "Oh? Hm... but we still need to feed ourselves..."
    "Why don't you join the Nagao clan in Echigo? They pay a lot more than Jinbo. Nagao also offer more vacation days, health benefits, no overtimes, and Nagao has the lowest casualty rate among all clans of Japan!"
    "WOW! How much is Nagao's starting salary for ashigaru?"
    "More than 1.5 times of what Jinbo pays!"

"That's it! To Echigo!"
    "Nagao is the best!"
    The ashigaru recruit line disappears in seconds.

Munechika: "Return to the Buddha. The best fortune is to live without hunger."
    Munechika continues her slow journey on her geta.

Rizenji Munechika: "Eh? Where are these samurais going?"
    Samurai recruit: "The Sword Dojo in town is accepting new students. We wish to learn swords and fight like a true samurai on the battlefield."

"Fight for whom?"
    "Etchu's Jinbo, of course."
    "Hm... don't you know? The Sword Dojo in Etchu does not have a good master. For sure the Jinbo daimyos would learn their swords there. But for two generations in a row, the Jinbo daimyos lost their lives in duels. I heard Jinbo Nagamoto was killed before even attacking his opponent once."
    "Yeah... maybe this is not a very good place to learn swords. But we have no better choice."
    "How can you say that? Isn't the 'Sword Sait' Kamiizumi Nobutsuna (上泉信綱) opening up a Dojo in Ueno? Ueno is just south of Echigo - just about half a month's journey from here. How can you miss the best of the best?"
    "Of course! If we want to learn swords, we should learn it from the Sword Saint!"
    "Yes! Let's go to Ueno!"

The samurai recruits change their direction and leave for Ueno.

Munechika: "Return to the Buddha. Let's hope you learn how to completely control your sword."
    Munechika continues her slow journey on her geta.

Rizenji Munechika: "Eh? Where are these farmers going?"
    Rioters: "Our crops fail because of the darn drought! We will starve to death this winter! We have to do what Honganji does - making a riot and rob ourselves some food... and extra goodies! "
    "Are you starting a revolt today?"
    "Yeah? We heard that Toyama Castle is poorly defended. The samurai lords must be rich!"
    "Ah... how about this? I have 20 koku worth of silver with me. Take it, and live a good winter."
    "Wow! Are you from Honganji?"
    "No, no, Rizenji."
    "That's great! Rizenji! Thank you! Thank you!"
    "Who wants Sake?"
    "YEAH!"

The would be rioters cheerfully leap for the pub with Munechika's koku.

Munechika: "Return to Buddha. How can I allow you to rob Toyama Castle and destroy Lord Kagetora's effort?"

Jinbo Nagazumi: "Nagao Kagetora! Stop this madness! We are not going to succumb to you!"
    Kagetora: "I am not asking you to surrender! Let's treat each other equally!"
    Jinbo Nagazumi: "I... I... I won't follow your orders!"

In the beginning, Jinbo Nagazumi challenged Nagao Kagetora every two to three days.
    But Nagao Kagetora kept dodging the confrontation.
    The winter has past - now the flowers are blooming again. First daffodils, then cherry and prune.
    Nowadays Jinbo Nagazumi comes out only every six or seven days.

Nagazumi: "My dead ancestors would not agree if I make peace with you!"
    Kagetora: "Wouldn't they want to see Jinbo clan's continual existence?"
    Nagazumi: "Your words are like flowers! I won't listen!"

Kagetora and his bodyguards have made countless circles around Toayama Castle.
    He can now call which landmark is coming next.
    The guards are even counting times of each lap.

Nomi: "The last lap was a new slow record! From the trend of the most recent 10 laps, Nagazumi is consistently getting slower. Maybe eventually he will simply sit on the ground."
    Kagetora: "Maybe he'll walk backward..."

For every chase, the end point is Nagao's great tent in front of Toyama Castle.

Kagetora: "Hongaji has declared war on Noto's Hatakeyama clan! Let's sit down and work out a plan to repel the Ikko-Ikki's invasion!"
    Nagazumi: "You are trying to distract me! I... I... I hate your tent!"

Kagetora's tent had been torn down again and again. Someone actually urinated on it.
    But now bird chirps and flower blossoms are too soothing for violent behaviors.
    So Kagetora' tent is only partially disassembled.

Nomi: "Ha. He is giving up."
    Kagetora: "Looks like that Nagazumi's hatred towards Nagao is diminishing."

Kagetora takes a deep breath of the spring's humid and fresh air, much like Rizenji's.

"We have been here for four months. I wonder how Echigo is doing now..."

As Kagetora restores the tent with his guards, his thoughts wonder back to Kasugayama mountain. He has been writing letters to Yaya, who should be giving birth soon. Kagetora is turning 16... is he ready to be a father? Probably easier than being a clan lord.

Munechika: "Lord Kagetora! Looks like that Jinbo have largely spared our tent today! Please tell me what to order from the town."
    Kagetora: "Oh Munechika. Thank you so much for your effort. There are still no reinforcement coming for Jinbo Nagazumi."
    Munechika: "Don't mention it. Actually I am here to bring you the latest development in Echigo. The Housekeeper asks me to memorize them."

Actually Munechika received rigorous memory training in Rizenji. She is famous for being able to recite the entire "Bishamon scripture" in Hindu. But of course nobody could tell whether she makes mistakes or not.

Kagetora: "Great. Let's talk about the family first. Is the baby born yet?"
    Munechika: "Oh yes! The baby was born... eight days ago! Housekeeper Maoko was there to help. Both Madam Yaya and the boy were safe."
    Kagetora: "I am a father now! Great!"
    Nomi: "Congratulations!"

"Congratulations, Lord Kagetora!"
    "Must be a great successor to Nagao clan one day!"
    "Can't wait to see the baby!"

Kagetora is showered with his bodyguards' blessings.

Munechika: "Oh, Madam Yaya said she found the name "Ujinari" good for the boy when he turns into an adult."
    Nomi: "Uji is the common name for the Sagami Hojo clan..."
    Kagetora: "It is all right. Names are not important. We can call him Umachiyo (horse-chiyo) at home!"

Note: Probably for simplicity, the game does not take into account the fact that Japanese at the time do not get their formal names until they turn into an adult. Babies' names usually have the following suffix:

X-maru (X 丸, "X ball", a chubby baby perhaps.)
    X-chiyo (X 千代, "X thousand generations", probably hoping the baby to bring long-lasting prosperity to the family.)
    X-poshi (X 法師, "X wizard/monk", maybe hoping the child to possess great abilities or blessed by Buddha)

"X" are usually animals or plants of good meanings, such as tiger, crane, pine tree, goodness, or their ranks among siblings.

If Kagetora (who was Tiger-chiyo) names his children following his zodiac year pattern, then Year 1546 was the year of horse, so the boy would be Umachiyo (Horse-chiyo), to be followed by "Goat-chiyo", "Monkey-chiyo", "Chicken-chiyo", "Dog-chiyo", etc. Ape-chiyo (Maeda Toshiie) and Dog-chiyo (Maeda Toshinaga, son of Toshiie) actually existed, although they were not born on the respective zodiac years.

The game also ignores that members of the same clan often share one common character in their names. For example, Echigo's Nagao clan carry "Kage" in their names, and Sagami's Hojo clan carry "Uji" in their names. So Kagetora's boy should be named "Kagenari" (景成, great accomplisment) instead of "Ujinari" (氏成, surname accomplisment). (Kage 景= great/scenary, Uji 氏= surname, which is weird to appear in a given name).

In the future, I will convert all Kagetora's children's names into "Kage-X" just to be historically accurate.

Kagetora: "Good. Let's talk about Echigo's construction. Anything new?"
    Munechika: "We have expanded the Kasugayama Castle into a stronghold. The Sake Den's foundation has been laid, so it will start operating later this year. The irrigation projects are finished. And the Naoetsu Trading Port of Echigo is being upgraded to a Military Port."
    Nomi: "Yes. We definitely need a good navy."
    Munechika: "Our very first Bune encountered a Jinbo scout ship just outside the Naoetsu Port. But as soon as we approached them, they surrendered."
    Kagetora: " Good! So we will build a powerful navy and realize our plan of international trade!"

(A) Ask about family (Paragon +4) [done]
    (B) Ask about Echigo's construction (Paragon +3) [done]
    (C) Ask about Kagetora's reputation (Renegade +3) <---
    (D) Ask about where Nomi takes bath in the past four months (honor -1)

Kagetora: "Hm... somehow I am a little curious about how people look at me..."

Munechika: "The clan officers mobilized to spread my lord's heroic victories in the Battle of Nagaoka and Toyama. Those Yari Ashigaru who were saved by my lord in Toyama have been very influential in the towns. By the way, my lord's generosity toward Jinbo has gained Nagao quite a bit of respect, even though what will happen remains to be seen. My lord, you are honored by everyone!"

Kagetora: "Oh yes? I don't think I am that good..."
    Munechika: "I am sure the other daimyos respect Lord Kagetora, even though they might not admit it."
    Nomi: [color=darkred]"You are getting one step closer to become the God of Army, Kagetora!"
    Kagetora: "Thanks so much for all your helps.":
    Nomi: "Most of these are your own ideas. Your intuition proves to be the best decision. We can only help you to become a most feared warlord, but you can turn yourself into a well-loved leader."

Nomi now admires Kagetora's judgment. Maybe he IS the avatar of Bishamonten, preaching Buddhism with his own deeds.

Note: The above picture is taken two seasons later. By then Kagetora's fame has jumped two more levels.

(A) Ask about diplomacy (paragon +2) <---
    (B) Return to menu

Kagetora: "Any change on the surrounding clans?"
    Munechika: "Oh yes. Takeda has invaded Murakami in Shinano. Things do not look good for Murakami."
    Kagetora: "Oh? We promised Murakami to defend against Takeda!"
    Munechika: "Just like people say, Lord Kagetora always fulfills his promise. Please don't worry; Lord Masakage is now readying an army. Please focus on Jinbo and we will deal with Takeda next."
    Nomi: "I hope Masakage does not to attack Takeda by himself. Takeda Harunobu is a formidable foe. When we are truly ready, we can attack Takeda with everything we have, and restore Murakami clan to fulfill our promise."
    Munechika: "That's exactly what Housekeeper Maoko said. At this stage, we are just recruiting more soldiers in Echigo to be really ready for battle. Maoko also said she will see if there is something to do to diplomatically slow Takeda down."
    Nomi: "Hm... shall we find a designated diplomatic emissary? Housekeeper Maoko is already busy with all trivial operations of the clan. How about Naoe Kagetsuna (直江景綱)? He is polite and knows what he is talking about."
    Munechika: "Unfortunately, Mr. Naoe is taking one year off to visit a relative in Great Ming."
    Nomi: "OK..."
    Munechika: "Please do not look down on the Housekeeper. If she can comfort women who give long and painful births sometimes over days, she has no trouble taming clan lords who are easily embarrassed and agitated."
    Kagetora: "Yeah, Maoko can handle that for now."

At the same time...

Order has departed Katsurao Castle along with hope. Valuable and garbage are mixed on the floor.
    The defeated Murakami Yoshikiyo catches his breath on a small folded chair.
    The emissary politely bows as usual.

Murakami Yoshikiyo: "We lost. It is over. In a few days, Takeda is coming to Katsurao Castle. What about the reinforcement of Echigo?"
    Maoko: "Lord Yoshikiyo, this happens so suddenly that we simply cannot make it to Katsurao Castle in time. Please pack up everything you can and retreat to Echigo with me. Lord Kagetora will defeat Takeda and restore Murakami in Shinano, as promised."
    Yoshikiyo: "Oh? Is Nagao Kagetora trust-worthy? Hm... if Kagetora has the determination to reconcile with a long-time enemy like Jinbo, maybe he can be dependable."
    Maoko: "I will personally make sure Murakami is restored one day. Oh please do not forget to empty your treasury. Don't leave anything to Takeda."
    Yoshikiyo: "Ha... there is no much left anyway... just 2000 koku or so worth of silver. I will take it to Echigo and leave it with Nagao. As long as you can restore Murakami, 2000 koku is nothing."
    Maoko: "We cannot simply take it from Lord Yoshikiyo. Officially we purchase it with unlimited military access. One day we will restore Murakami in Shinano!"
    Yoshikiyo: "I have started waiting!"

Two months later...

Takeda Harunobu carries a dominating precense. His famous generals pack the meeting room like hairs on a cow.
    The emissary bows politely.

Takeda Harunobu (武田晴信)

Born in 1521. Better known by his Buddhist name "Shingen", which he adapted in 1559, and his nickname "Tiger of Kai". One of the most famous military strategists in Japanese history. He bears the famous "Furinkazan" (swift as wind, slow as forest, invasive like fire, and stable as mountain) banner taken from Sun Tsu's Art of War. In their trademark red armor, the Takeda army invade and devour surrounding clans like wild fire.

For his aggressive and oppurtunistic approach, Takeda Harunobu made quite a few controversial decisions. He banished his own father (1541), killed all surrended soldiers and tortured hostages (1547), betrayed his ally Imagawa and attacks it when it was weak (1567), ordered his oldest son Takeda Yoshinobu to commit suicide (1567), and attemped to topple his new ally Tokugawa in the back (1568). Still, due to his superior clan management skills, generals, and military doctrines, Takeda Harunobu became one of the most feared forces of Sengoku Jidai.

Harunobu naturally became the nemesis of "Dragon of Echigo" Uesugi Kenshin, who was equally capable in military but strictly followed moral principles. The costly Fourth Battle of Kawanakajima was especially famous. The two daimyos actually deeply respect each other for their strengths. Uesugi Kenshin refused to sever salt supply to Takeda's land even if they are at war. In his death bed, Takeda Shigen asked his succeeding son to ask for help from Uesugi Kenshin, who he knew would be truly dependable. But Shingen himself could never embarrass himself to ask for Kenshin's help.

Harunobu: "Oh? A female emissary from Kasugayama Castle? I thought Lord Kagetora is a respectful person?"
    Maoko: "We also thought Lord Harunobu was a respectable person, but now you you invaded Shinano and expelled Murakami, whom Nagao has a responsibility to protect."
    Harunobu: "Hmm?"

Harunobu frowns. He wanted to establish fear first, but it looks like the emissary is willing to fight back.

Harunobu: "It is all right. Last year Nagao Kagetora expelled his elder brother Harukage. If Kagetora does not respect his elder brother, I cannot ask Kagetora to respect me."
    Maoko: "Indeed. Five years ago, Lord Harunobu expelled your own father. It is natural that you have no regards toward Nagao."
    Harunobu: "What the..."

Harunobu wants to punish the emissary, but torturing a female emissary would be highly dishonorable.

"What a rude emissary!"
    "Are you asking for war?"
    Harunobu's officers voice their support to Harunobu.

Harunobu: "Nagao does not need to worry about Takeda's business. We work for our prosperity, just like Nagao works for yours. If we want to invade Shinano, we don't care about others' feelings. Takeda acquired Shinano thanks to our generals' greatest effort. There were also sacrifices."

Maoko: "Sure. But that does not mean the other clan's promises are non-existent. My mission here is to inform Takeda that Lord Kagetora will fullfil his promises to Murakami - one day, Nagao will restore Murakami in Shinano."

Harunobu: "So you ARE looking for war?"
    Maoko: "Not right now. I actually bring a warning to Takeda - the Kiso clan of Shinano and Anegakoji clan of Hida have invited Nagao to form an alliance against Takeda."

"What?"
    "A Realm Divide after taking just one province?"
    Takeda's clan officers gasp in fear.

Harunobu: "Why are you warning us?"
    Maoko: "Lord Kagetora admires Lord Harunobu's capability, and he wishes to fight Lord Harunobu fairly on the battlefield one day. Lord Kagetora does not want to see Lord Harunobu attacked in the back while facing Nagao's army."

Harunobu is surprised that Nagao Kagetora would think like this. He must be either an extremely capable military commander, or simply stupid beyond salvation. From what Harunobu has heard so far, Kagetora seems to belong to the former category. It would be great Harunobu gains an ally like Kagetora.

But the twist of fate might turn them into enemies, as it seems now.

Harunobu: "How about this? Takeda will make a reasonable offer so Nagao does not join the alliance against Takeda."
    Maoko: "Lord Harunobu, Lord Kagetora will never accept bribery."
    Harunobu: "Then we will make a fair deal. We make an offer so that we will fight Nagao after we deal with Kiso and Anagakoji. If you win, Shinano is yours!"
    Maoko: "Sure. We can work that out with military access as a promise of non-aggression."
    Harunobu: "How about 4300 koku for five years?"
    Maoko: "Lord Harunobu is fair and just, so there is no need to bargain. Lord Kagetora will wait for Takeda. Together we shall fight a decisive battle for the ownership of Shinano."
    Harunobu: "Good!"

"PA!"
    Harunobu slaps his iron Furinkazan fan to his thigh.

Note: At the time of writing this, the game is far from finished and I am not certain what will happen to Takeda in the future. It would be ideal if he does develop into the nemesis of Uesugi Kenshin as in history. The best I can do is to give him colored dialogue.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast