Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Update

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Forum Update

The forum has just received a significant software update. This update was a lot more complex than most and as a result many of our add-on features had to be adapted to work with the new systems. I have fixed all of the issues I was aware of, but I am certain that more will crop up in areas I haven't checked yet. Please post any issues you find so that I can fix them.

Default Re: Forum Update

Not really an issue, but still: the Org favicon is no longer a mask.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Might just be my old browser here at work, but I see:
    Code:
    '); var sidebar_align = 'right'; var content_container_margin = parseInt('290px'); var sidebar_width = parseInt('270px'); //-->
    at the top of the page above the Org banner, but only in the main index page. Firefox 3.6, TWS2 skin.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Firefox 3.6, TWS2 skin.
    Why sticking with 3.6?

Might just be my old browser here at work, but I see:
    Code:
    '); var sidebar_align = 'right'; var content_container_margin = parseInt('290px'); var sidebar_width = parseInt('270px'); //-->
    at the top of the page above the Org banner, but only in the main index page. Firefox 3.6, TWS2 skin.
    That's part of the javascript code that drives the forum sidebar. Do you see the sidebar at all?

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    Why sticking with 3.6?
    Work machine, don't get me started.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    That's part of the javascript code that drives the forum sidebar. Do you see the sidebar at all?
    Yes, I do see the sidebar. I'll check it out from home to see if I can discern any difference in how it displays.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Yes, I do see the sidebar. I'll check it out from home to see if I can discern any difference in how it displays.
    While you're still at work, try disabling javascript and see if it makes that code error disappear. That should help determine whether it's a javascript issue or something else.

With NoScript, I usually have googleapis.com disabled and totalwar.org enabled. Disabling totalwar.org or enabling googleapis.com does not change anything.

Tell them about ESR.

Sidebar looks the same from the work machine as it does at home, so I'm guessing it's either my old browser or the firewall screwing with me. If no one else is seeing it, no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by caravel
    Tell them about ESR.
    A new boxen is coming soon (so they tell me)...

Sidebar looks the same from the work machine as it does at home, so I'm guessing it's either my old browser or the firewall screwing with me. If no one else is seeing it, no worries.
    The upgrade has caused some oddities with some bits of the forum code (likely unnoticeable to anyone but us TAs), and it's possible those are related to your issue. I haven't had time to look at them closely, and it may be a while longer before I get to them. Whenever I figure out those problems I'll check back with you and see if that impacts your issue.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

I do not see the 'go advanced' option when posting. I've tried fiddling with my settings....no luck. Advice?
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    I do not see the 'go advanced' option when posting. I've tried fiddling with my settings....no luck. Advice?
    It should be in between the Post Quick Reply and Cancel buttons in the bottom right. If you don't see it, can you post a screenshot of what you're getting?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For some reason, all of Myth's recent posts in the backroom have needed moderated approval. Being the mod there, I saw the posts so I never noticed anything until he asked me where his posts were. I went back and saw that they needed "approval" to be viewed.

Obviously, Myth should be allowed to post without issues like everyone else, so it seems to be some sort of bug.

edit: appears fixed now.
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-07-2012 at 21:23.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Is the "recent activity" thing you get when you look at your profile part of this? Can I turn it off?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Is the "recent activity" thing you get when you look at your profile part of this? Can I turn it off?
    Yeah, that's something that vB added in the update. It's a localized version of the Activity Stream which you can see under What's New. Unfortunately there's no way to turn it off on an individual user basis. I can disable the thing for everyone, but I can't make it an individual option. I have no particular attachment to it though, so if there's a general dislike of the feature I'll remove it.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I'm having two minor issues.

One is that if I view a locked thread, the button says "Lukket tråd". Which is Norse, and odd.

Secondly, some posts receive so many thanks that the members who thanked are hidden, but are viewable (or should be) after clicking on "show list". in this case at least, it doesn't work for me.

EDIT: it seems I can open the thanks list when I'm logged out. The "locked thread button" is, of course, not there when you're logged out because it replaces the reply button.
    Last edited by Kralizec; 11-08-2012 at 23:43.

Member thankful for this post:

TinCow 

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Yeah, that's something that vB added in the update. It's a localized version of the Activity Stream which you can see under What's New. Unfortunately there's no way to turn it off on an individual user basis. I can disable the thing for everyone, but I can't make it an individual option. I have no particular attachment to it though, so if there's a general dislike of the feature I'll remove it.
    I can't imagine this being helpful to the Mafia players. I take it this feature skirts "Invisible Mode"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    I'm having two minor issues.

One is that if I view a locked thread, the button says "Lukket tråd". Which is Norse, and odd.
    That's possibly the oddest bug I've ever seen. Easily fixed though.

Secondly, some posts receive so many thanks that the members who thanked are hidden, but are viewable (or should be) after clicking on "show list". in this case at least, it doesn't work for me.

EDIT: it seems I can open the thanks list when I'm logged out. The "locked thread button" is, of course, not there when you're logged out because it replaces the reply button.
    Thanks, I see the same issue. The show list button was a custom hack I added and I guess there were some template changes that have impacted it. I'll take a look at it.

I can't imagine this being helpful to the Mafia players. I take it this feature skirts "Invisible Mode"?
    I'm pretty sure it only lists activity that's visible regardless of your mode, such as making a post or a visitor message. If you see some information that actually seems to pierce invisible mode, please point it out.

I've fixed the show list issue. The current formatting is not precisely the same as it was before, but I don't have time to match it perfectly right now. I'll fix that up a bit later.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Clicking the 'Find all posts thanked by...' or 'Find all thanked posts by...' on a profile brings up a Database error.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

The "locked thread" button is okay now, but I still can't view the list of people who thanked Lemur in that post.

Oddly enough, with other posts with +10 thanks (like this one)it works just fine.

The "locked thread" button is okay now, but I still can't view the list of people who thanked Lemur in that post.
    This post? It works fine for me. Try refreshing.

The Thanks list seems to have been abolished. I am JHT's second.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Yep, it's definitely not showing up, even with a refresh. The abortion thread in the backroom is a recent example.

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    Yep, it's definitely not showing up, even with a refresh. The abortion thread in the backroom is a recent example.
    You cannot expand the list here?

The issue is still there, it seems. I tested this with other browsers as well.

I might have a clue, though - it only happens with posts that I thanked as well. For example, in the case of Lemur's post that I linked to earlier, I was able to view the list after I had removed my thanks. After I thanked it again, the list became inaccessible again.

Another example is that republican abortion thread. Both Strike's and MRD's post have 7 thanks. I can view the list of the former, but not of the latter - and I'm one of those who thanked the latter.

I'm also experiencing the issue mentioned above, that you can't search for all thanked posts or posts thanked by a certain member.
    Last edited by Kralizec; 11-17-2012 at 16:44.

I might have a clue, though - it only happens with posts that I thanked as well. For example, in the case of Lemur's post that I linked to earlier, I was able to view the list after I had removed my thanks. After I thanked it again, the list became inaccessible again.
    Thank you, this explains why I wasn't seeing the issue. I see it now and will fix it.

I've replaced the show/hide function with a new version that fixes the error. The new version is not as compact as the old version, which sucks, but at least it works. I'll try and polish up the styling on it a bit later.

The Thanks search function should also be fixed now.
    Last edited by TinCow; 11-19-2012 at 16:47.

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

In reply to the issues I stated in the BG3 thread....I do not see Fragony's photo avatar this time around

I have several issues with my account, like not having advanced posting features, or being able to edit a previous post. If it would be easier to log into my account, you have my permission to do so. I keep no state secrets around here
    High Plains Drifter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast