Currently playing this fraction on VH/VH - got myself allied with the Numidian and Spanish by the third turn - the cost of this was having to maintain large armies in three cities - that I could use elsewhere. But when I tried to get the alliance and then move my armies against the Romans - well the Spanish and Numidian sensing weakness decided to attack. Going to have to maintain that allaince until I either defeat the Roman Senate and Juili - or I will be fighting on more then one front.

While I was getting my alliances with Spain and Numidia, I moved against Scipi in Silicy right away - I destroyed Scipi as a faction by 267 BC and Bruiti as a faction by 264 BC. After destorying Bruiti the Greeks entered into Trade rights with me - and so did Gaul.

I think the key to winning as this faction is to isolate Rome into fighting for their lives in their cities. Currently working on getting an alliance with Gaul so that they can take some pressure off of Cart - by attacking Juili. I think after defeating the Roman Senate armies outside of Rome - That I can either sack Rome or get the Romans to get into a cease fire. Once that Happens that will allow my faction to build more forces into Italy and develope better Infantry forces then the Militia and Ibrian forces I have not.

The key to this fraction is never to autoresolve the battles - by autoresolving the computer kills off your one elephant Unit. This unit is key in demolishing the city gates - because you can not afford to seige cities in Italy - you must attack the gates immediately - the defensive ablity of the Carthage army is almost none existent as far as I can determine.

Use the Numidian Cav on the Flanks of the Romans and also Round Shield Cav - it weakens the romans ability to close with the Ibrian Infantry. Also careful use of the single elephant unit allows them to remain intact - to destroy the Roman Armies - I have used the elephants in 4 seige battles and 3 open field battles and still retain all 6 elephants.

As someone mentioned concentrate on roman fractions - I went after Scipi first and took out two roman factions by the end of 12 turns - ie 6 years of game. Now I have plently of breathing room to sack rome, get a cease fire - but most important I have income coming in to offset the cost of maintaining the armies from Carthage - the loss of income from that city is just amazing.

Once you take out at least two roman factions - I think the next thing to do is build an income base on the cities you do have - as long with alternating improving the army base that you have. However I find Carthage to be a very challenging faction to play - compared to some of the others in the game.

The 1.2 patch has made this faction actually better to play in my opinion.