Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperial Diet III

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Default Re: Imperial Diet III

Prinz Jobst stands, looking unconcerned, but worried all the same

This is indeed...a problem, if you would call it that.

Of course, our defenses beyond Thorn are very...well, right? I hope. Of course, it is such a shame that all of Duke Von Kastillen(OOC:sp?) efforts have been wasted in the defense of Thorn.

It also produces a major problem, we have never verused the Russians in open battle before, we have hardly encountered them in fact. it was only the Count of Venice's expeditions into RUssia which gave us a proper undertsanding of their culture and armies.

Russia, I predict, shall be swept away very soon beneath those Mongolians, I heard news from a Chinese Merchant a whle ago, those Mongols stop at nothing with their hordes...

With our unstopable armies bearing upon them, and the Mongolians coming the oppostie way they shall be crushed soon, then its a race, shall we be swept before the Mongols next? Or our Crusader States?

Prinz Jobst sits

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

The Franconian Duke's servant stand, and addresses the Diet

It seems we have been a little too ambitious in the east, our borders are stretched out to the extreme and it was really only a matter of time before the Russians tried something like this. My master is currently on a forced march to Thorn, hopefully being able to get those Russians out of the area as fast as possible, before heading back to take Krakow from the Poles - who've taken a severe beating last time my master and his son faced them in battle. He also wishes to inform the Diet that his son Ansehelm has been Knighted, he is now authorized to lead a force of his own.

That is it for now, my master hopes to keep this body updated on our eastern situation...

The servant returns to his seat.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

A new face in the Diet stands Karl Zirn Third Elector of Austria son of the late Count of Zagreb.

Electors!, This is an embarrassment that a Fortress of the Reich has been captured! A frontier fortress protecting our border. It is one thing to convert a fortress to a city but to loose one in battle is shame.
    What will next the cities of the interior??!!!!
    Are we not trying to modernize our army what about our tactics? Are we following the tactics of dead nobles.
    Who is responsible for the defence of Thorn?
    The FHA is on it's way to recapture the Thorn but I hear they are in a sad state in short of supply because of fights with the Poles.
    What lands fall next Dijon, Ragusa or Rome itself???
    I am all for the work in the Outremer but it's success will not matter if there is nothing to come back too!!
    There must be a strategic plan for the Reich that does not focus the East with the new Kingdom. We must work with what allies we have and protect our lands proper.

The member returns to his seat upset with the news of Thorn.

OOC: This is all IC from the other OOC thread concern. Just got up and read econ's report and thought I would generate some discussion. Too early to be really vocal at this point.
    Last edited by Northnovas; 05-25-2007 at 19:35.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Servant

My master agrees that we need to look to our defences now that our borders are stretched thin. We may even need to increase our border guards and further their training so they may stand a chance when no senior commander is present to command the force.
    However, this requires us to improve our economy even further so we can sustain the hiring of larger forces at strategic locations.
    To however not waste good florins on paying troops that hardly will ever meet an invading force, my master would propose that for the meantime, forts and watchtowers are to be erected along our borders so we have may stall the enemy while we prepare for an onslaught. This would of course not only allow for additional troop training but also for our senior commanders to make haste for the affected county.

This will be an edict that my master will propose once the diet session opens.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

The servant of the count of Thorn stands and speaks

I can inform you gentlemen that my master will do everything to take Thorn back. Even if it means leading the attack onto the walls.
    My master also thinks that we should put more into the HRE and less into the Outremer. Afterall, the Heimat is most important. He proposes that in future we will put more effort into kicking the enemy from our gates. A Teutonic Crusade might do well.

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Otto von Kassel enters the Diet. He looks around the chamber as if to get his bearings after an absence of so many years. Crossing the Bavarian section on his way to speak with Gunther, he passes a hand over Maximillian's old seat. His expression grows grim for a moment, but Otto brightens up when he greets his old proxy. They exchange a few words and Gunther makes his way to the back benches. Turning to the main floor, Otto addresses the Diet:

My lords, it is good to be back in Europe and my homeland. Since the Egyptians have been quiet around Acre and Jerusalem and our sea lanes to and from Outremer secure, I decided to return to Rome on one of our fastest merchant ships. I want to be here for the upcoming session, and it has been a long time since I have seen the Alps or Innsbruck.

The set back at Thorn is unfortunate, the swiftness and ferocity of the Russian attack took both the Chancellor and the Franconians by surprise. Still, it is just that, a temporary set back. While Krakow was not captured, Duke von Kastilien has bled the Poles, and it will take them years to recover. While his own forces are depleted, he gave much better than he got, and he has enough men to put paid to the Russians. Thorn and Corsica have shown, however, that there needs to be better coordination between the Household Armies and the Chancellor. I hope we will take this lesson to heart.

In regards to Sir Zirn's comments concerning Outremer, I find his assertions unfounded and not constructive. Thorn is thousands of miles from the Levant, even if we were not engaged in the east, we would most likely have the same result. We are doing God's work in Outremer, and this has not detracted from our efforts at home, in fact it has aided them. By gifting Jerusalem to the Papacy and our our missionary work there, we have gained much influence in the College of Cardinals. Even now we have an Imperial Pope and several successors in line. If anyone doubts the efficacy of this on the home front, the excommunication of the French should assuage those concerns.

I agree with Count Hans that we need to keep a better eye on our borders, and watchtowers are a good way to do this. I myself have built a system of them bordering Acre, and they have served me well in keeping an eye on Saracen incursions to the south and east. We would be wise to finish such a system for all of the Reich's borders.

Perhaps we should use the Baltic fleet and a small landing force to seize one of the Russian's less defended coastal cities. Once we have Thorn back, we could offer this city's return for peace and possibly tribute. I have no desire for the Reich to make any permanent inroads into the vast lands to the east.

In regards to these Mongols, they do concern me. What they lack in initiative so far, they make up for in numbers. We will deal with them if need be. A possible idea is that once we can convince the Pope to call a Crusade again, we should target any city they might have seized. The horse lords threaten all of Europe, it is only right that all of Christendom should respond to this threat. We would only have to join the Crusade in the later stages, giving time for the other Catholic armies to assemble and travel to the east. Still, this is a ways off. It is merely a suggestion.

Edit: The idea of a Crusade to convert the schismatic Russians and Baltic pagans is also intriguing, but I still would not want to keep any territories in that vast emptiness they call a Duchy.

It is good to be back, if only for a little while.

Otto makes his way to his old place in the Bavarian delegation and sits.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-25-2007 at 17:06.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

The Elector stands to address von Kassel's remarks...

Lord Kassel I do not feel that my statements are unfounded. The past 20 years the Reich as concentrated in the East. The work is God's doing and you are quite correct; we have benefit from it's outcome especially with the Papacy.
    However, in completing this work we have committed our best generals and troops to the cause with the exception of Duke Leopold who remained to defend the homeland. I wish to go to the East myself and continue the Lord's work.
    We have had several threats over the years at home and if it were not the leadership of the Lords here we could have lost more cities.
    All I am saying is there has to be strategic plan that serves the Homeland and the Outremer. We cannot be focused on one goal.
    The natural reaction in this crisis would be to build up the homeland and then the Outremer is neglected and suffers from lack of support and attention.
    Whoever is considering the Office of Chancellor should keep this in mind.
    One plan for two lands.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Northnovas
    One plan for two lands.
    That rhymes My Lord. Maybe that should be a slogan for the next Chancellor election.

Raising his eyebrows in amusement the Count of Venice takes a seat

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Diet Speaker: Disaster! Word has reached me - Prinz Jobst is in battle with the Danish crusade! We shall be at war with Denmark! And indeed with all of Christendom - we will be excommunicated again!!!

Otto leaps from his chair:

What!? This can't be! Von der Pfalz would not do this. . .Why were we even laying an ambush in front of a crusading army?! This is madness!

Otto reels from the news.

This is a disaster! All the effort I. . .we put into reconciliation and it is thrown away because someone drew a sword at the wrong time. We must find out the responsible parties and put them on trial for treason!

At least we're not at war with the Papacy. We can send a diplomat and see what the price will be for reconciliation. We must reconcile before any further damage is done to our alliances, even though we have lost ours with the Church, and before the Reich tears itself apart. The cultivation of good relations with the Papacy lies in ruins. We can recover but. . .the price will be high.

As for the Danes, I suppose there's nothing for it but to crush them and see if they will parley afterwards.

I do not envy the next Chancellor, he will inherit a horrific situation.

Madness. . .

Otto collapses into his seat. It looks like he has aged 10 years in the past few minutes.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-26-2007 at 20:18.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

*Hans has only just entered the diet after a long journey from Constantinople*

What madness is this I ask? How can the prince lay ambush on a crusading army and decide to assault them for no reason? Has he gone mad as my grandfather has? He may be a fellow Swabian, but I cannot condone such action that induces the wrath of all of Christendom upon our empire. I demand that a messenger be sent to him that he may cease this folly and retreat from this attack, lest he wish to face the wrath of the diet, which must authorize any action leading to excommunication!
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Standing slowly the Count of Venice looks visibly shaken

What folly is this my lords!!

The world as we know it has just turned against us. We have been accused on all sides and by all nations of ambushing a Crusade to the Holy Land!!

I am at a loss to explain anything...

Standing slowly the Count of Venice walks slowly from the Diet in a daze

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Conrad Salier:

These actions must NOT be allowed to go through without consequence. I propose that if the foolish Prinz survives his battle we swiftly and immediately discipline him. For, as good Hans has pointed out, he has most blatantly violated the charter.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

A messenger arrives at the Diet

A message recently came through from Prinz Jobst

Dear fellowe electors,

As you probably know, I am in North Germany as of now, readying to ambush a Danish Crusader Army.

I have been told many of you suggest I retreat. Bah! Retreat!? Thats an insult! I shall slaughter every last one of them! May I remind you electors, this had to happen eventually! I shall not retreat.

I hope you know, this shall do a lot of darn good.

Long live the Kaiser.

Prinz Jobst,
    The messenger hurrys out of the Diet, heading to Dijon

The THird Elector rises..

This message is absolute madness!! I concur with Sir Salier the Prince must be brought before the Electors and explain his actions. Then we will serve the appropriate discipline.

Otto speaks from his chair, as he seems to lack the will to stand:

From the scraps of information I have, it seems the battle was not planned, nor did Prinz Jobst initiate the assault. It seems to have been a colossal misunderstanding.

Yes, the Prinz did have the option of withdrawing, and his attitude in his letter alarming, but the grounds for war were already there. Withdrawal would change nothing, but it would leave a large hostile army on our lands. If our hand is forced, we might as well strike as hard as we can. There are no good outcomes to this, but we must deal with the situation as it is now. We can not turn back time.

When I called for an investigation, I was not singling out the Prinz, there is an unseen hand directing these events. We must find out who is responsible for this treachery and eliminate them. It will not change what has happened, but we must have retribution for what has occurred.

God save the Reich, God save all of us.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 05-27-2007 at 02:18.

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

The whole room chills and the torches flicker hard against an unseen force, as Gerhard enters, Horrifying the Diet at his appearance, He coughs deeply and something emerges from his throat and is deposited on the diet floor.

"I hope he kills every last one of them.....

The Lands of the Danes are rich, and once conquered would allow us to eliminate a front, allowing us to better defends out boarders.

Although I know little of the circumstances of the battle, I can see many advantages to this war"

And as for the pope that blithering idiot can go rot in the 'hell' he's always going on about."
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Conrad Salier:

What?!

Gerhard, I expected better of you. Have we not for many years shared a peaceful border with the Danes? Lest you forget, the world views us as the initiator of hostile actions. We have never had any qualms with these people.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Still visibly shaken the Count of Venice looks as Gerhard

WHAT are you talking about Gerhard!!

Have you gone mad or are you possessed by some crazed lunatic!!??

I thought I knew you my lord but clearly I was mistaken.

Do you actually want this all to happen?

Prinz Jobst walks into the Diet, his armor cracked and twigs is his hair. He sits, where his aide fills him in on everything, then stands

Fellow electors,

I have returned from North Germany,past Frankfurt. The battle was one of the easiest of my career, and I am honored to say, I duelled and killed the Danish prince myself.
    The Prinz winces but continues

Some say you wish to put me on trial like a witch, I ask why? It is not my fault the Danes came barging into our territory, I wasn't waiting for them! I was defending your homes, I was defending the Reich when they rudely walk through with no permission! Absurd.

But I had mercy, and we ransomed them for 2000 florins, I hope it upgrades your castles gentlemen.

Prinz Jobst sits

Looking aghast at the Prinz

My lord,

Don't ALL crusading armies HOLD papers from the Pope that request free and unhindered passage through Christian lands!!!???

They were on Crusade weren't they Prinz Jobst?? Did you ask?

Prinz Jobst nervoulsy stands and looks at the Count of Venice

Well... the leader of that army was a secret rebel anyway, its no real loss is it? And the Pope shall forgive us when he knows.

Jobst whispers silently

Or I'll kill him myself

Jobst straighens up and continues speaking

I was merely defending myself.

Jobst sits

Both eyebrows shoot up into the air on the Count of Venice's face

A secret rebel...that's it?!

That's all you have...

...a prince of Denmark, calls a crusade as an elaborate cover plan because he's secret rebel...you then happen to know this and decide to kill him??!! He's a secret rebel for who? What's he rebelling against?!

I presume you like the King of Denmark so much that you decided to step in and help...is that it?

Do you know how many men are lined up outside my office right now!!?? Half the known bloody world is clamoring for an answer as to what has happened.

I have nearly half the worlds gold flowing through this nation and you have secret rebel ideas flying around that no one can substantiate and throw it all into a complete heap of steaming "merde"!!

You do speak French don't you Prinz Jobst, you know what "merde" is!!??

Merde is...

The Count of Venice is at this stage physically restrained by members of his own staff. With a face turning increasingly crimson he is shepherded out of the Diet chamber with great haste.

the chamber is filled with curses

....idiots...what the hell...he's a....lunatics that's what he is...

....don't care...he is....a bloody fool...

...don't touch me...don't....your fired you piece of...

...YOU, I'll kill you with my bare hands...disagree with me again and I'll turn your liver into cheese you bastard...

OOC:Lol

IC:

Prinz Jobst satnds, watching as the Count of Venice is restrained by his aides, then snarls

No, I don't know French, Count of Venice. The only bloody thing I've had to do with the French is kill them!

Now enough of this nonsense, this is the Imperial Diet, not a tavern.

Though I woudn't mind a beer...

Anyway, I see you haven't heard of the Danish princes plot? Thats why I killed him, a man is ruler by right, not by battle.

Prinz Jobst sits

Just as the doors close on the Count of Venice leaving he turns at hearing Prinz Jobst comment...he immediately tries to re-enter the Chamber while being restrained by his own Russian body guards

That...IS CORRECT Jobst...it is a Diet Chamber not a tavern you

BOOM...the doors are closed rather quickly by the pagemen. Both young men can be seen receiving money by the Count of Venice's attache before he leaves

Duke Leopold has entered the Diet shortly before the outburst of the Count of Venice and stands to adress the Diet:

I came here directly upon hearing this news. I bypassed Ragusa on my way. where I had planned to prepare the Crusade. It seems I can scrap that now!

He turns to Prinz Jobst:

So you are the man that single-handedly nullified the efforts of the last two Chancellors, your Kaiser included? And all you have to say in your defense is some rambling about a rebel? While I don't agree with the verbal outbursts of the Count of Venice I agree with his sentiments concerning your explanation.

We are at the brink of war with every Christian nation, while a savage horde assembles at our Eastern border, threatening to overrun our possessions in the Levant. This is your doing Prince Jobst and I vow I'll make every single day before your ascension to Emperor a living hell if you don't come up with a better explanation for this situation.

Just yesterday we were in the Popes highest favour and now we are excommunicated and you are at the heart of it. You were there man, so speak! What kind of rebel was this that prompted you to attack a Crusade? A Crusade sanctioned by the Pope, whose participants have recieved absolution and thus can not be held responsible for their past sins while undertaking this journey.
    What plot is this you are talking about?

I demand explanations and they'll better be good!
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Otto stands and speaks:

Duke Leopold, and my fellow electors.

Please, before we go too far in any accusations, let us wait for the Chancellor's report on this matter. The Danish incident is one of the last events of the Kaiser's term, and I would hear from him before we proceed further.

Otto rubs the scar on his face in agitation.

There is much here we don't know, I hope his Majesty can enlighten us.

The Diet Chamber doors open, although nothing can actually be heard, a tall powerfully built young man can be seen outside speaking forcefully with the Count of Venice, upon receiving a response he towers over the count and points his gauntlet finger at the Count of Venice's nose and make one final barking comment.

He then wheels away and strides into the Diet and takes a seat next to Duke Leopold and hands him a note.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 05-27-2007 at 11:04.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Imperial Speaker: It is with a mixture of sadness and relief that I inform my Lords that the crisis over the Danish crusade has been contained due to the passing of the Pope. Cardinal Sigismund Uttenheim has been elected as his successor and has ended our excommunication. Our relations with the Papacy are once again very good. Duke Leopold will be able to join the crusade on Damascus. However, our relations with our Catholic allies have worsened considerably (before the debacle, they had risen to reasonable and amiable during Henry's term of office).

Now that Kaiser Henry's term of office has ended, it is time to open the Ninth full Diet session. There will be a three day period for the proposal of edicts and Charter Ammendments. Candidates for the post of Chancellor are asked to submit their manifestoes. On Wednesday, 10.45am (UK time) the deadline will expire.

As the Kaiser is still en route home from Edessa to participate in this Diet, and given the charges made against his normal deputy, the Prinz, he requests that King Otto would chair the Diet in his absence. He also gives notice that Duke Otto will be re-affirmed as King of Outremer, if the proposed constitution for Outremer passes. (The Kaiser hopes to formally propose that constitution in the next day or so.)

I yield the floor to King Otto.

Duke Leopold reads the note handed to him by his son, the shakes his head in disbelief, reads the message once again and then slowly rises to stand again. Apparently looking for words he casts a glance around the Diet, giving a small nod to Duke von Kassel as he sees him.

Well, gentlemen, Prince Jobst!

It seems that by a stroke of luck we... we are no longer excommunicated! I'm sure we shall recieve a Chancellors report on the recent events shortly that will hopefully shed some light on them.

He turns to Prince Jobst.

While this migitates the effects of your actions, Prince, I'm still looking forward to your explanation. This wasn't part of an elaborate ploy to upset the Count of Venice now was it?

OOC: Obviously this should be read, before econ21s post.
    Last edited by Ituralde; 05-27-2007 at 10:57.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast