Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperial Diet V

Default Re: Imperial Diet V

Jonas Von Mahren

"End comes to us all,its just matter of when and where. May King Salier rest in peace."

Jonas sits slowly back on his place and coughs loudly for a while. Only after one of his servants gives him something to drink the cough settles down.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

A Teutonic Knight enters the Diet

Meine Herren, Duke Ansehelm sends me, in Russia there are rumours about the fact that the Outremer is about to fall, that King Salier is death, and that the Mongols are in Constantinople by now.
    Duke Ansehelm told me to tell you that he does not wish to believe this, Herr Salier can't be death, he's a man like no other, unstoppable, he can't die.

The Knights looks around the Diet
    I believe these rumours are true, even though I do not wish to believe them, I am sorry but I need to head back to my master, he should know of this, if things get worse he might even turn his army south.

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

An aide in the livery of Jan von Hamburg nervously walks into the Diet. With his hands shaking, he addresses the electors while holding a report in his hand.

My dear electors,

Reports from the battle near Edessa are still sketchy. My lord, Jan von Hamburg, led the garrison of Edessa into battle in an attempt to reach King Salier. While the details of the battle remain unclear, what is known is that large parts of this garrison were shattered. Count Jan was in the middle of the fighting and his whole bodyguard detachment is listed as "casulties." It is believed that Count Jan was able to make it out of the melee and attempt to rally the remnants of the two armies in an effort to reach the safety of the walls of Edessa. With the improvement efforts of the Chancellor and Count Jan, the city is prepared to hold off a siege if the horse lords come to the walls. I hope to bring more news as soon as possible but it is difficult to get scouts into that area as the horse lords have skirmishers that keep killing our riders.

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Sorry for not participating much...but I think I will help the English army by Paris
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Arnold

So it seems we are not as invincible as we believed. King Sailer is dead and his army in tatters.

First contact has gone to the Mongols...

*Chrash*

down goes his mailed fist on the bench sending reports flying into the air

NOBLES OF THE REICH!!!

LETS SEE HOW WE RESPOND!!

We will mourn for the loss of him once the threat is passed.

Picking up another report the Duke's head shakes in disappointment

I see that dirty bastard Elberhard just got his blue balls sorted out!! More power to him I say!!

Lothar!! I guess we stike him of the list for next months party, he'll be too busy rodgering!!
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 08-17-2007 at 06:41.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

T'is indeed sad that a great man such as Salier has fallen in honorable battle.
    While there will be a period of mourning, it ought not be now, but after we have sent the barbarians back to their steppes. No time must be wasted in our war effort.
    I belive I speak for my fellow crusaders, when I say we will all rather fall than give any settlement to the Mongols.

Now if you excuse me, I have an army to lead.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is uniquely distressing to face another great loss in so short a time. King Salier was never a grand-stander, he was always a humble voice of reason. He was the conscience of the Diet, and he will be missed.
    Last edited by Cecil XIX; 08-18-2007 at 06:03.

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

Conrad was a dear friend of mine; he earned his spurs under me back when we were the young, up and comers of Bavaria. His death is truly a loss for the entire empire, His council, insight, and opinions were always of value.
    I will miss him greatly.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I come here to mourn the death of King Salier with everyone else.

I had my disagreements with him along with most of Swabia for that matter, but it is always a sad day to lise a respected member of the Reich.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Entering the Diet Chamber encassed entirely in black plate, Arnold is flanked by his two most notorious companions

On behalf of Austria, I'd like to extend my condolensces to the von Mahren house. The passing of Jonas brings the end to one of the most compasionate men I have known.

His son's and daughters have kept the House of Austria from near extinction and for that I will be forever in his debt.

No matter the history between my Father and Jonas, the men and women of his household will be protected by me and and the nobles of my house for eternity.

God rest his soul.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 08-18-2007 at 06:04.

Jan walks into the Diet.

Yes, I wish to extend my heartfelt condolences to the von Mahren family. I can not think of a better way to honor Count Jonas, then to lift a beer in his memory. There is a new place down the block and anyone who wishes is welcome to join me.

Duke of Nicosia

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*Edmund Becker sighs heavily*

I don't think anyone in the Reich has lived a more tragic life tan my father-in-law. I wish I could mourn for him, but in truth I am certain that he was happier to die than he was to live. God rest, von Mahren. I will make sure your bloodline continues.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Elberhard: Electors, we are in a period of transition from one generation to the next. During the last Diet, we have seen many fine members of the old guard leave us - Duke Gunther, Counts Fredericus and Jonas and King Conrad. Sadly, we have also seen a younger one go before his time too, chivalrous Count Sigismund. We honour the fallen.

But the younger generation will rise to the challenge. Already, we have the outstanding example of Chancellor Matthias whose term of office has seen our borders defended and expanded; our finances boosts and our alliances strengthened. I salute his achievement.

Electors, our Kaiser is on his way and hopes to join us soon. However, I do not think he will object if I step in and open this, our twelfth full Diet session. Matthias is a hard act to follow, but I ask any man of ambition and ability not to be daunted. Candidates for the post of Chancellor should come forward with their manifestoes. I urge them to do so promptly, so they can shape the debate and legislation in this session.

There will be a three day period for the proposal and seconding of laws. The deadline for candidates to declare and legislation to be seconded will be Tuesday 19.00 UK time. There will then be a one day period of voting.

Counts are reminded to post build queues for their settlements; Dukes to set orders for their Household Armies.

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Matthias nods to the Prinz.

Thank you Prinz Elberhard, I am sorry to drag you away from your well deserved beer.

Matthias turns to the Diet.

I hereby announce my candidacy for reelection as Chancellor.

To some of you this might be a shock, for we have never had a two term Chancellor. This a fine tradition, but in this dangerous time we live in, we must adapt. We cannot risk to have an unproven leader take the helm of state.

I have accomplished much in my first term, but there are many goals I wish to finish. The Mongols must be destroyed and Jerusalem protected. Sicily must be expelled from Italy so as to remove the threat to Rome. The Teutonic Crusade must finish it's drive to Moscow and then return home. Our finances must continue to grow and our borders kept strong. Our allies must be kept in line, and our enemies weakened. These are the tasks left to me, I ask that you give me leave to finish them.

You all know me, you all know what I can do as Chancellor. I humbly ask that you give me a second term.

For God, Kaiser and the Reich.

Matthias sits, calmly awaiting the Diet's reaction.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

Jan stands up,

My dear Chancellor,

It pleases me to see that you are willing to stand for re-election. Your sacrifice does you credit. You have shown that you will guide us with a fair hand towards a greater tomorrow.

Jan turns towards the rest of the Electors,

If you have noticed, the Chancellor has not given his platform. I believe that is because his success has spoken louder than any words he could give you. If you have prospered under his stewardship, I would give careful thought before upsetting the apple-cart.

Duke of Nicosia

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

I dislike keeping the power in the same hands for a long time. For this, I most likely will no vote for Matthias Steffen again.
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Elberhard: As I have explained to the Council of Outremer, in the absence of the Kaiser, there are some housekeeping matters for Outremer that need to be attended to before the Diet ends. Should the Kaiser return before the Diet ends, he may amend or overturn what I am about to say. But given that you lot are becoming a right litigious bunch of @#$%^&!!!ers, I think it is best not to leave more loopholes or ambiguities than necessary.

As the Kaiser's deputy, in his absence, I am appointing Karl Zirn as King of Outremer. This is a provisional appointment and will only be permanent if approved by the Kaiser. Karl was the late King Salier's preference as his successor and is the most chivalrous man in the Reich.

Unfortunately, like the Kaiser, Karl can't be with us right now. So, in his absence, I am appointing myself as Steward of Outremer.

The reason I am declaring myself Steward is to make sure that each province of Outremer has a governor. Antioch, the capital of Outremer will be governed by Karl Zirn in his capacity as King of Outremer. As there are no other Austrians in Outremer, King Zirn will also govern Damascus. I am appointing Dieter Bresch as governor of Aleppo. As I intend to permanently return to the Reich during the next Diet, I am stepping down as Count of Acre. I hand it over to the safe hands of my older brother, Hans. There will be no change to governors of Adana (Matthias) and Edessa (Jan).

The Army of Outremer will be commanded by Hans, until such time as Karl Zirn is back fighting fit.

The point of all this, of course, is so that the Crusader Counts and Army of Outremer commander can post their orders before the Diet ends.

As Steward of Outremer, I will also propose any three (or is it six?) pieces of Outremer legislation the Crusader Council wishes to see tabled.

If anyone here has a problem with the above, you can @#$%^&!!! off.

I mean, er, you can propose a Constitutional Amendment, call a special Council of the Dukes, impeach my sorry @#$%^&!!!, whatever.
    Last edited by econ21; 08-18-2007 at 22:08.

Thank you mein Prinz for this appointment, I will not let you down

Matthias rises to speak.

I have no objections to Prinz Elberhard's ordering of Outremer. I hope the Kaiser and Count Zirn will return to us soon, so we might have a more permanent resolution.

My brief foray to the tavern has revealed that my manifesto might have left out some specifics. You can expect my second term to be much the like the first, though I will share some thoughts I have.

With the new Pope, our reputation with the Church has been restored, and the standing of those who war with us has fallen. As we know from previous experience, Sicily will remain unreconciled, even with a new Pope, until they make peace with the Papacy. The other Catholic factions are now close to excommunication. I'm afraid that the Pope's advanced age prohibits us from goading them into excommunication, but we can move freely against Sicily. If the next Pope is younger, we can then attempt to bring down Papal anger upon the others, and then we can move freely against them as well.

Once Moscow is seized, instead of simply abandoning it, I feel we should offer it to Poland in peace negotiations. I'm not sure if they'll bite, but if they agree, we can kill two birds with one stone. First, we remove the Poles, temporarily at least, as an opponent. Second, we set up a confrontation between them and the Russians. This will serve to divide their efforts, even if the Poles strike at us again.

Peace efforts will continue with other factions, but unless we are willing to offer them territories and Florins, I doubt it will accomplish much.

I have already given my views on other matters in my first speech. I also await any Edicts and Amendments passed in this Diet to give further shape to my next term.

I would also be happy to answer any questions the Electors might pose for me or any future candidates.

Arnold

Thank Christ you said all that Elberhard!!

It was going to be a real $#@% up if you hadn't made those decisions in Outremer...well done I say.

With that settled, now we can get down to business.

Lord Matthias has done a fine job...I'd be loathed to run against him.

I will therefore not be running for the position of Chancellor and I'd will be seriously considering him for a second consecutive term.

In view of the upcoming session I am formally announcing Edmund Becker as Count of Prague.

Looking at Becker with a steely gaze

Don't lose it Becker!! And that's an order!!

Further more in accordance with CA 10.2 section a,

Arnold stops, looks quickly at his Priest, who now seems to be doubling as his chief lawyer, he receives a confirmation nod, then quickly continues

I propose:

Charter Amendment 12.1

The province of Bran is to be incorporated formally into the Holy Roman Empire.

--------------

I'd also like to propose we have a years free legal advise from every lawyer working for us!! What does everyone think about that!!?

Sitting, Arnold turns to his six legal councillors, their faces seem to indicate that meeting a Mongol horde in their underwear would be more preferable than dealing with their Duke at this time.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 08-19-2007 at 04:14.

Jan stands up.

Duke Arnold, you may find this hard to believe, but I hereby second Charter Amendment 12.1. Count Sigismund's resting place should be incorporated into the Reich.

Jan sits back down.
    Last edited by Privateerkev; 08-19-2007 at 04:20.

Duke of Nicosia

I second CA 12.1.
    We must not lose our eastern citadels to incapable allies again.
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

The proposal of CA 12.1 raises a question. CA 10.2 requires a CA to accept a conquered territory into the Reich. Is there an automatic vote on this, or do interested parties need to propose one themselves?

However it pans out, I will second CA 12.1.

Chancellor Matthias, I apologize but I do not understand your question.

Duke of Nicosia

Here's the relevant part of the Charter.

Charter Amendment 10.2:
    (a) No settlement will be captured without an Edict authorising its acquisition in advance.
    (b) Captured settlements will be abandoned or given away unless, at the next Diet session, a Charter Amendment incorporates them formally as part of the Reich.
    (c) The 33 existing provinces of the Reich are exempt from (a) and (b).
    (d) This amendment overrides the constitutional right of Household Armies to conquer one neighbouring province.

My question is, does a vote requiring a two thirds majority automatically take place, or does someone, as Duke Arnold just did, have to propose the amendment?

Ah ok, thank you for patiently re-explaining it.

The way I read clause (b) of CA 10.2 is that someone, like Duke Arnold, needs to propose a CA for a territory. Otherwise, it will be abandoned or given away. If someone else has a different reading, then please speak up. It seems like the default is for territory to be given away while the onus to keep it is on the parties who wish to keep it.

Duke of Nicosia

The definition of a charter amendment is that it requires a 2/3 diet majority to pass.
    If you deem this unclear, then point a could also mean that only an edict has to be proposed but not passed. We certainly would not want this to happen, yes?

In my view any CA's dealing with incorporating provinces into the Reich siply need to pass with the 2/3 majority need to pass a CA.

If it does then it is incorporated, if it doesn't then it is abandoned and/or given away.

Right but Count Matthias is asking whether you need to propose the CA at all. By his question, all territories captured this past term all go up for an automatic vote. I think if it was meant to be that way, then clause (b) would read;

(b) Captured settlements will be abandoned or given away unless, at the next Diet session, 2/3rd's of the Diet vote to incorporate them formally as part of the Reich.

Duke of Nicosia

Yes, that rings true Jan, and is the way I understood it as well.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast