Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperial Diet V

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Default Re: Imperial Diet V

Arnold

Well I'm glad everything has overridden everything else for $£"% sake!!

So in conclusion, what the fly $^&£ are the consequences of all that in clear High German!!?

And therefore on that note:

I second CA 12.2!!!

£$"^ me this is incredible.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 08-19-2007 at 09:33.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Elberhard: Duke Arnold, it's cool mate. Basically, just ignore everything I said as Steward of Outremer. Jan is King now and will make his own announcements shortly.

The Kaiser has clarified that the King of Outremer has only three extra votes, not six, which I think most Electors will agree is the only reasonable resolution of the contradictory Charter Amendments passed at the last Diet.

On Austria's inability to propose House Edicts, Karl Zirn is now free to second any House Edicts so in principle your problem goes away. In practice, Karl's still as sick as parrot, so you are still in deep @#$%^&!!!. I am not sure it is worth proposing a Charter Amendment to deal with the contingency of someone having a puke, but the way it is going nowadays, you need three Edicts and one Charter Amendment before you can even @#$%^&!!! your @#$%^&!!!, so why the @#$%^&!!! not? However, in the vain hope that I can keep the lawyers at bay, in Karl's absence, I pledge to personally second any House laws you propose. I can't propose I will actually vote for them, but I will make sure they are put to a vote.

On one point, though, I do think the Kaiser has @#$%^&!!!d up though. He cannot strike down CA 11.6 on the grounds that it contradicts CA9.1, the Charter of Outremer. I think he was referring to this part of the Charter in his ruling:

Quote Originally Posted by Charter
    3.5. Tied edicts fail. If contradictory edicts are passed, the one with the most votes takes priority.
    However, this part implicitly refers to edicts passed in the same Diet. If one CA is passed in one Diet, and a contradictory one in a subsequent Diet, then the later one should take precedent. That's what Charter Amendments are about - amending the Charter. They may often contradict the charter, but that is why they require a 2/3 majority.

I am reluctant to confront the Kaiser on this - and even more reluctant to open up a new topic for the lawyers to obsess about. But this must be clear, otherwise we will spend an eternity dredging up old polls to see what majorities earlier CAs had. And the Charter of Outremer will probably never be able to be amended - as it was passed virtually unopposed, if I recall.

Pauses for breath

Electors, I hope this Diet can turn to the real issues confronting the Reich and not obsess about legalisms.

Is there no man here other than Matthias who wishes to run for Chancellor? I have the profoundest respect for Matthias, but a contest is healthy - is there none among you who wishes to stand? I will run if none among you can be bothered to get off your fat @#$%^&!!!s!

And what about the direction of the Reich?

How shall we respond to the Spanish declaration of war?

What should we do to deal with the ceaseless attacks of the Poles on our north eastern border?

How can we shore up the eastern border of Austria, which seems to be leaking like a sieve?

How can we best help our allies by marriage, the English and the Byzantines?

Where should the crusader army heading for Moscow go after it has accomplished its mission?

A strange man enters the Diet, wearing a long fur coat, and an even longer beard. He attracts all attention to him as he walks into the Diet and he sits down somewhere among the Franconian benches. Then he stands again and speaks

Meine Herren, you might reckonize me from last time, I'm Gert von Runstede, infantry commander of the Teutonic Army. My lord, Duke Ansehelm has send me to you with some messages.
    First of all I'm here to tell you that Herr von Kastillien has not been able to make it here himself, he wanted to, but in it's current state the army cannot be left alone.

His first message is concerning Helmut von Hamburg, he is hereby named Count von Hamburg of Hamburg.

A second message is concerning the Teutonic Crusade. Duke Ansehelm wants to it Vilnius on his return trip. Thorn is safe now, he suggest that the FHA moves out towards Vilnius by the time the Teutonic Army will reach it as well.
    After that the Duke wants to move the Teutonic Army towards Danish territory, in order to relieve the Imperial Army there. If that meets too much opposition in the Diet Duke Ansehelm would love to move against either Spain or Hungary using his army.

Next to that he urges the fact that more marriages should take place, many men are still bachelors, including himself, and the Reich needs more young men.

For the remainder of the Diet I will stay here to answer your questions.

Arnold

Elberhard, you had me there for a moment. Then you went all legaleez on me and my £$%£ing lawyers are still trying to work out what you said.

Anyway, I'll take you up on your offer you old DOG!! If you would be so kind to second me ramblings in the Diet that would be excellent.

Zirn's wife doesn't know if it's his arse or his head which is in worse shape, so he's goner at the moment.

Basically the Kaiser seems to have £$%$ed it up, I thought it was too go to be true with all the hashish and shiet going on over there in Constantinople.

I'd say your take on things regarding amendments is correct Elberhard. The latest edict is most recent and must supersede all others. There is no possible way we can retrospectively go back and see what the voting count was to determine weighting.

I personally am happy for fewer edict and amendment. We are clearly not able to even organise a $£%£ in a brothel with a thousand florins in our hands...so the less the better at this point in time.

I will think on the Austrian front solution and propose some legislation tomorrow.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jens Hummel:

WHAT?!

Kaiser, with all due respect, I do not believe that you have made the right choice for King. It was always Salier's wish that Zirn succeed him. Hell, everyone in Outremer knew this! Besides, don't you owe him one for him backing you in that nasty little succession dispute some time back (which, by the way, I had absolutely no part in)? Come on, man, honor the man's last wishes and make the right decision here.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

King Jan walks back in with reports under his arms. Max fills him in on what has happened lately.

Young Jens,

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, it was the Kaiser's decision to make and he has made it. As to what was owed, the Kaiser doesn't owe any of us anything. He is our Kaiser. The Lord chooses him to be his representative here in the Reich and we serve. In fact, this is exactly the kind of simple decision making that you were crying out for just last night. While there have been disputes as to the length of my service as King, no one has yet disagreed that it is the Kaiser's right to appoint the King of Outremer.

King Jan turns to the rest of the Diet.

Which brings me to my next point. Here is my tentative list of Crusader Count appointments. I say tentative because I am still waiting for word from some people with regards to their wishes.

At that last sentence, King Jan looks over at Jens.

Unless specified later otherwise, the list is such;

Adana, Matthias Steffen
    Damascus, Karl Zirn
    Aleppo, Dieter Bresch
    Acre, Hans

Thank you

*edit*

A messenger comes in and passes a note to Gunther who slides it over to Jan who reads it.

So thats his decision eh? So be it. Alright, I am hereby announcing that these Crusader Count appointments are no longer tentative. They are set as is until the next Diet. I will take over Antioch and Edessa as well as command the Army of Outremer.
    Last edited by Privateerkev; 08-19-2007 at 17:01.

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Hans files through several scrolls and letters, eying them critically before standing to speak

My noble lords,

It seems that there is no one else standing as chancellor to contest Matthias election?
    As we all know, it is important to have a contest for this esteemed position and not let it simply fall into someone's hands, may they be so capable.

In this light, I wish to announce that I shall once again stand for this honorable post to lead our glorious empire - to not only create a contest, but also to further our own common goals.

Many of you have been active during my last chancellorship which was shortly before the two short-lived ones of the late Hümmel and emperor Jobst, and know of my capabilities and the prosperity that I have brought to the empire as well as my skill in leading the second crusade to take Damascus within 8 years as well as defeating the first wave of Mongol aggression.
    When I ended my term, we had an excess of 38,000 florins profit a year, 12,000 more than at the start of my term.

I shall not ramble on too much about my term as most of it can be read in the chancellor's reports that are filed at the library at the back of the diet hall.

Now, as to my goals as chancellor should you deem me worthy of election:

- The elimination of the Mongols threat and ensuring that they never think of returning to our lands again. I shall personally pursue them to the edge of the desert to make sure of this if necessary.

- Accepting each and every marriage offer that is presented during my term, unless the affected person does not wish marriage. Please write me in this case as soon as you can.

- The successful crusade to Moscow and consultation with Duke Ansehelm on his further moves as well as fully cooperating with his wishes.

- The successful taking of Naples and Palermo if authorized by the diet for Bavaria.

- The successful taking of Caen by Swabia if authorized by the diet.

- Supplying additional troops to aid Austria in fortifying Bran as well as preparing fort border defenses to the south against Sofia and to the east against Iasi.

- Fulfillment of each and every edict you present me. I know that there have been doubts about one of the edicts during my former term, and this time around, I will work even harder to ensure everyone is satisfied.

- Economic build policy to strengthen law and order as well as increase our income by hiring merchants and levying appropriate taxes. As in my previous term, there shall be no riots, but at best peaceful demonstrations. Also, I shall accept building queue changes during my term if they are sent to me in writing and will do my best to fulfill them. No longer will you have to submit them on time - this shall allow your counties to develop as you wish.

- Successful warfare and logisitics to ensure victory. As you know, I offer everyone the chance to travel wherever they wish, without second guessing. If you wish to travel to, say, Palermo, I will not be holding you off indefinitely or even lie to you about your status. I intend, and will be, completely transparent in those actions and show you the respect you deserve as nobles of this empire and thus further our common goals. Do not expect easy battles, but expect to fight often if you wish it and if our borders necessitate it.

- Border control. I shall further endeavor to build watchtowers where there are none as of yet and fortify important locations using forts which will serve the purpose of slowing an enemy advance to allow us additional time to prepare and strike back.

- Diplomacy. I will once more endeavor to keep our allies friendly and malleable while striking pre-emptively at enemy forces entering our lands or threatening our borders. If peace offers are received, I shall attempt to squeeze as much tribute as possible out of the offenders. I will upkeep the alliance with gifts and military support, whereby our forces will strike together with our allies against a common foe.

- I shall attempt to improve our naval forces in Italy to block any attempt of the Spanish and Moors landing troops on our soil and blockade their ports to cut their funds.

- Last but not least, I will be open to any suggestions that you believe are necessary and discuss policies if you require.

You are more than welcome to question my approach.

Hans bows and sits
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Two former Chancellors running? Since both had success during their last Chancellorships, I have not yet made up my mind as to which one to vote for. I will wait and see what kind of discussion develops in here first.

Either way, with such people running, I suspect easy sailing no matter who wins.

Duke of Nicosia

Gert von Runstede stands

Herr Jan, you might want to strike Herr Hummel down, but don't judge him like his father or brother, that's what Duke Ansehelm told me. Sides to that he also said it is strange that the Kaiser disagrees with the will of the late King Salier, there is much more he said on this, but I'm not in the position to tell you.

Gert von Runstede,

I am sure young Hummel will be given plenty of opportunities to prove that he not like his father or brother. By his request, I am going to send him home and I wish him luck in whatever endeavors he takes on next.

As to my appointment. While I do not know why the Kaiser chose me over Karl, I do know he is well within his rights to choose whomever he wishes. Anyone who is curious can take it up with the Kaiser. Don't ask me. I just work here.

*shrugs*

As a side note, you can tell your Duke that I am pleased to see a von Hamburg in charge of Hamburg again. Its good to see that my older brother is doing well for himself.
    Last edited by Privateerkev; 08-19-2007 at 22:03.

Duke of Nicosia

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Friedrich, after conversing briefly with friends from the Bavarian House, stands and begins to speak.

Herren of the Diet, I am a newcomer here. I will, therefore, bid you forgive me for any breach of protocol. I understand, however, that this is the time to propose edicts. I believe I have not heard such a declaration during the twelfth Diet. I shall make one such now.

Edict 12.1: The Chancellor must do all in his power to conquer the towns of Naples and Palermo, thus re-unifying Italy and striking a heavy blow at the Kingdom of Sicily.

Friedrich pauses briefly, regaining his breath.

While it was never in doubt that those settlements would be conquered during the next chancellorship, I wished to make a point. The provinces surrounding those settlements were prominent during the old Roman Empire, that of Julius Caesar and his heir Caesar Augustus. I believe that we, united under the banner of the Holy Roman Empire should strive to bring it back into existence.

One of you has asked "What of the Spanish Declaration of War?" I would ask that we keep them at bay, until our lands stretch over those of the French, until we are within striking distance, until we can smell their putrid breaths!

Eh, pardon me if I spoke slightly out of turn...
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

I second Edict 12.1, and propose Edict 12.2: Any army of the Reich is authorized to conquer the Polish fortress of Vilnius. If an army is unavailable, one shall be created.
    Last edited by gibsonsg91921; 08-20-2007 at 02:01.
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

The Sicilians, although long-time allies, have chosen to attack the papacy we have sworn to protect as well as betray our alliance foolishly.

However, I feel that if edict 12.1 allowed room for one attempt at diplomacy to either obtain a ceasefire at a good price or make the Sicilians our vassals, it would be much more secondable.
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

Sicily still has Tunis. However, we cannot be certain about our safety with such a fool's kingdom. Driving them off of Italy and then suing for peace while they are in African exile would be most acceptable.
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

Hans walks over to a scribe and asks to see the map again. He can be seen intently asking for the most recent and not some old map. Studying it carefully, he returns to the floor.

Interesting. They also seem to hold some backwater town of Tripoli down there.

In that case, I shall second both edicts 12.1 and 12.2

In addition, I present you the Swabian house edict:

Edict 12.3
    The House of Swabia Army is authorized to take Caen from the French to stop further French invasions, to pressure the Danes from a second front, and to allow resupply at a closer region.
    Proposed: Steward Hans
    Seconded: Jens Hümmel, Duke Scherer, Athalwolf von Salza

In addition, Athalwolf von Salza is hereby announced Count of Dijon to rule his honorable father's lands.
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 08-20-2007 at 10:32.

A hush falls over the Diet as Wolfgang Hummel enters and kneels before the Kaiser.

"Mein Kaiser, forgive me for mein rash actions, I beg you. I publically apologise for mein disloyal actions against you, and formally ackwoledge you as Kaiser of the Reich. As a show of good faith, I surrender the County of Lorraine to mein gut Duke Scherer."

Wolfgang gets to his feet and walks back to the Swabian benches.

"Electors of the Reich, I put myself forward for the office of Chancellor. I confess that mein actions against the Kaiser have tarnished mein reputation, but I now seek a chance to clear mein name.

I have a plan for the Reich, a glorious plan. I can see the Reich become the glory of Christendom, and the renaissance of Europe.

Firstly, we must modernise our soldiers. Bows and arrows are becoming obsolete as this mysterious exploding powder is becoming more refined. The Poles have shown us how cannon can be used, and we must not be second to the Poles.

Secondly, we must secure the Italian peninsular. We, who call ourselves the Holy Roman Reich, cannot leave one inch of Italian soil in foreign hands. And, as we know, the Sicilians are heretics, attacking His Holiness, and deserve nothing but the sword.

Then there is the question of our enemies. I propose that we launch offensives against them, crushing their armies. With their soldiers and generals dead, they will have little option but to sign punishing truces with us.

Finally, we must assure a balanced spread of our generals. I fear that Bran is leaderless at the moment and must be secured."

Wolfgang bows and resumes his seat in the Diet.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Jan walks in and checks in with the scribe to catch up on what has transpired.

First off, welcome Elector Karolinger!

Your edict 12.1 already has the required seconds but I will voice my support of it. Sicily attacked the Papacy. Enough said.

Count Peter,

My older brother and cousins in Franconia have suffered for too long from sieges around Thorn. If this edict can help alleviate their situation, then I support it. I hereby second edict 12.2.

Count Hans,

My family is from Hamburg so I have grown up living with Danish aggression. If capturing Caen can help make life easier up on the northern front, then it should be done. Since your edict is already pre-seconded, I can not second it but I do publicly support it.
    Last edited by Privateerkev; 08-20-2007 at 05:23.

Duke of Nicosia

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*With the annoucement that his brother is standing for Chancellor Jens Hummel departs the Diet and heads straight for the bar.*
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Alright then, I will now take this oppurtunity to present two CA's using two edicts given to Outremer by CA 11.3. According to law, these two CA's are already pre-seconded by Crusader Counts. There have been some who complain that we have too many laws and edicts floating around. Well, I assure you that these two only amend existing law.

Charter Amendment 12.4:
    Clause 3.10 is amended to read as follows (changes in bold):

3.10 Influential players get bonus votes (max +6 bonus)

Appointed Influence (Max 4 points):
    Duke: +3
    King: +2
    Count: +1
    Chancellor, ex-Chancellor, or Prince: +1

Stat Influence (Max 2 points):
    15 or more total stat points: +1 (I thought about a lower number, but all avatars are given a base 3 piety and base 5 loyalty, which means those points are freebies. So, 15 is only 7 from actual traits, plus the 8 piety and loyalty freebies)
    6 or more ranks in one stat: +1 (In the unlikely scenario where a character gets 6 or more in 2 stats without having 15 total, they get this +1 twice)

The player who is Emperor gets bonus votes differently, being equal to his authority.
    Proposed: King Jan
    Seconded: Count Hans, Count Matthias

I have thought a lot about CA 12.4. I am not a Duke. I do not intend to try to pretend that I am one. But, I am King of Outremer. While I have less responsibilities than a Duke, I do have more responsibilities than a Count. Therefore, I ask for influence that makes sure that Kings will at least have equal influence to all of their own Crusader Counts. This ensures that I have at least as much influence as any Crusader Count under my command while keeping me with less influence than every Duke. I already am able to sit on the council that decides succession disputes so there is precedent for having the King fill a role that is in between that of Count and Duke.

Charter Amendment 12.5:
    Charter Amendment 9.1 is amended to read as follows (changes in bold):

8. All four Houses of the Reich have a stake in the Kingdom. Damascus is assigned to Austria; Adana is assigned to Bavaria; Acre is assigned to Swabia; and Aleppo is assigned to Franconia. Antioch will be the capital of Outremer and an Imperial province governed by the King of Outremer. Edessa will also be an Imperial province, governed by a Count chosen by the King of Outremer. The Crusading Count for a settlement should first be assigned according to house, but in the event where that is not possible, the Crusader Count can come from any House. They will gain +1 influence, but only if they are not already a Count in their Duchy, and only for the Diet session that marks their appointment. The cap of 6 influence for all but the Emperor remains.
    Proposed: King Jan
    Seconded: Count Hans, Count Matthias

Quite simply, the King needs more flexibility with Crusader Count assignments. I would love it if every house had the manpower to send two nobles each. But, that is not realistic. Duke Arnold has eloquently stated his lack of nobles and how it is endangering his house. Therefore, while I would love to always assign Crusader Counts from a house to the corresponding Crusader County from that same house, this will not always be possible. What if we have no counts from one house but three from another? Which has happened. I should be able to assign my counts where they are needed. I do not want to have a good man sitting with no county when there is a county from another house open because that house is unwilling or unable to send a Crusader Count.

King Jan hears Wolfgang announce his candidacy and watches Jens leave for the bar.

Now that young man has a fine idea. I could use a drink...

Duke of Nicosia

Blog Entries

Jens Hummel:

*Jens comes stumbling back in, more than slightly inebriated.*

And here we go again, talking about whether some old fop gets two extra influence points or three! Tell me, WHY does this always occur EVERY Diet Session? Don't you all think that our time would be better spent discussing on strategies on how to combat France, or pulverize Sicily? NOOOOOOO!!! How 'bout- how 'bout we start worrying about the interests of the PEOPLE rather than some stinkin' King and his pretty little influence points?

Come on, people, I know some of you out there agree with me! Why isn't CA 12.2 seconded yet?

My head hurts...

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Matthias rises to speak.

I welcome Count Wolfgang and Count Hans to the race.

I would like to answer the questions Prinz Elberhard posed.

How shall we respond to the Spanish declaration of war?
    I would assume a defensive posture for now. A strong fleet should be based around Corsica and Sardinia to sink or drive off invasions before they arrive. Once a younger Pope is in power, I would allow the invasions to land, to see if the Spaniards could be excommunicated. If that occurs, a possibility of a Crusade to one of their territories emerges.

What should we do to deal with the ceaseless attacks of the Poles on our north eastern border?
    I proposed earlier that we should see if the Poles would accept Moscow in peace negotiations. This would set up a confrontation with the Russians while removing the endless pin pricks in the east.

If this is not possible, I would suggest the occupation of Krakow, not Vilnius. By doing this, we would weaken the Poles while shortening our own border. This would also prevent Polish strikes south at Budapest. The province around the city also has a north-south road that would aid in a more efficient defense agaisnt strikes from Vilnius and provide a link between Thorn and Budapest.

How can we shore up the eastern border of Austria, which seems to be leaking like a sieve?
    The death of Sigismund von Mahren left the Austrian HA leaderless and reduced our ability to "clean up" the border. Duke Arnold is a few years away from assuming command of the AHA which is now fully reinforced from Bran. Once that occurs, the Hungarians will be removed from our lands with extreme vigor.

How can we best help our allies by marriage, the English and the Byzantines?
    Now that we have weakened Hungary by taking Bran, we could try seizing Sofia to give to the Byzantines again. This might be an unpopular move, but it would restore a land link to Outremer. I would be disinclined to take Sofia for ourselves because it would signifigantly lengthen our borders.

As for the English, we could seize Caen and return it to them. The castle would not assist us in opening up a "second front" against the Danes as it does not border Antwerp, Bruges does. This would also serve to fragment the French holdings.

Where should the crusader army heading for Moscow go after it has accomplished its mission?
    If we can make peace with the Polish, I would send them back through Russian territory. If the Poles are obstinate, I would send the Crusade back through Polish territory in a grand chevauchée. They could then assist with the pacification of Krakow.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 08-20-2007 at 07:28.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Athalfwolf stands, staring at Matthias

I a, afraid I have to bite back.

Firstly, the Spanish are a serious matter. They control the seas West of Italy and the Corisca and Sardina Islands. They control Southern France. They can invade Rome, they can storm German France. Do none forsee these dangwers? This very capital is at potential risk!?

All this talk of seizing places and returning them. Absurd! We waste precoious German lives, just to be in some bloody drunk Byzantines Emperors good books! Or some foul English King! How many good men have fallen to claim a city, only to have it returned to another owner, only then to have THEm turn against US! Unce again, as with the Russian Crusade, it is a waste of lives. We have plenty of money, if we do not keep those Northern Lands, why even claim them!?

I doubt that there can be lasting peace with the Poles. Giving them Moscow will not lead to peace and they would not accept such a "gift" knowing that we are trying to set them up.
    Looking at the maps, one must be aware that the Poles and Russians have bordered each other since centuries already and are not currently actively at war with each other but rather attack us. Giving them Moscow thus will not change matters. It will only throw it away needlessly. I say we do with Moscow the way Duke Ansehelm would wish to deal with it, as it is his crusade goal and he has spent men and energy to take it.

While Caen may not be directly bordering Antwerp, the road via Bruges is a short one, and having a top citadel literally next door to the Danes will allow us to open further offensives and prevent them from spending significant resources on our northern border, which is important especially as Siegfried at this time may be unavailable to lead the men into battle and the other Franconians are still busy around Thorn and soon Vilnius.

As for Sofia, there is no edict calling for its taking this diet session, so discussing its fate should not be relevant at this time. Certainly, any region that is taken via an edict should not be given to an ally who will only sell it off to its former master to make some quick florin. The Byzantines have shown what they are capable of, and I am sure no one in the diet wishes to see a repeat of these events whereby we waste needless German lives to make some distant ruler richer without return.

The proposal concerning Sofia was merely that, not a statment of intention.

Fritz von Kastilien has capably led the Army of the Interior in the absence of Kasier Siegfried.

If the Poles don't take the bait, we'll abandon Moscow, as called for, and devestate their lands. No harm, no foul.

Are you going to answer your Brother's questions Count Hans? Or are you content to critique the answers of others?

I have answered them implicitly in my manifesto.
    Hostility between candidates helps noone, so I shall be keeping this more civil.

For the Spanish:
    - I shall attempt to improve our naval forces in Italy to block any attempt of the Spanish and Moors landing troops on our soil and blockade their ports to cut their funds.

For the Poles:
    Peace is impossible without giving up too many of the empire's resources and they will end up betraying us anyway. Besides, too many good Germans have fallen only for us to pay our old foe tribute for a ceasefire. It should be them who ought to pay us if they wish one. The taking of Vilnius will isolate their capital and drain them of resources to attack us. Blockading the roads around Krakow will prevent their economy from growing.

Austria's estern border is to be defending using 2-3 forts to block roads inward from Sofia and Iasi. These will be lightly defended and serve as a deterrent and early warning system. If they are besieged, we lose nothing and have time to prepare a counterattack. At the same time, raids will be launched into Sofia to destroy patrols.

The English can be helped by pressuring the Danes by the taking of Caen. Further, if they are in need of aid in battle, troops will be sent swiftly to ensure support. At the same time, whenever relations deteriorate, small gifts in florins shall be made to ensure their loyalty. As for the Byzantines, I endeavor to block off Adana using forts so that they will not be able to send any sizable force near it and end up betraying us.

Duke Ansehelm's army goes where he wants it to go, not where I wish it to go. Any movement of any noble should be of their own choosing unless they give no orders. I do not believe, as other chancellors, that nobles are to move at my whim. They are nobles afterall, and part of this diet. I have no problems answering to each and everyone of their requests honestly and politely.

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    As for Sofia, there is no edict calling for its taking this diet session, so discussing its fate should not be relevant at this time.
    This is an interesting statement considering that you personally conquered Sofia during your Chancellorship when there was no Edict calling for it.

The same could be said of your donation of Durazzo to the Papacy.

I am sorry if you misunderstand our debate in this Chamber as hostility Count Hans. The Electors would benefit from an airing of the issues.

Arnold

Looking at Hans for a few moments

Well...now that you mention it Hans, maybe there will be an edict requesting Sofia is captured AGAIN.

Can someone please tell me where I can see a summary of the current edicts and CA's?

Turning again to Hans

Your ideas of strategic forts are intersting Hans.

Would you consider doing this as well Lord Matthias?

If that edict is passed, I shall of course be carrying it out and ensure that Sofia has a fort to block off the River to the north to Buchrest and another to the south in case the Venetians become bolder. During my station in Sofia in my term, I have already erected many watchtowers in the region, so this will not be necessary.

As for the summary Hans waves over a scribe Hand this to Duke Arnold.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...1&postcount=12

Thank you for reminding me, Duke Arnold. The scribes tell me that a listing can be found here.

As for Forts, I have already built one on the Elbe near Hamburg. It has been useful in containing the Danes. The Bran area could also benefit from Forts because it has several choke points. Of course, a noble is needed to direct the work crews, so construction could only begin once Duke Arnold reached the area. We may as well establish some watchtowers as well, while he's there.

As for Forts in other places, they're generally only useful in constricted areas close to reinforcement. I would have to do a survey (look at a save) before I made more specific comments on other areas of the Empire.

Excellent Matthias, Hans thankyou both.

Now a comment.

Edict 12.2

I don't like the wording at all. Why is the FHA not mentioned rather than some vague comment about a Reich army?

This opens the door for another Franconian Lead Army being created to take this province. I hope you can all see gentlemen of Franconia that Austria deperately needs a second army also. Am I mistaken?

Having read the CA's 12.4 and 12.5 proposed by King Jan I will also support his ideas regarding the influence of the King and the flexibilty to assign counts.

My only thoughts on the matter are that the position of King should be handled much like the Chancellor. It should be rotated rather than handed for life. In addition the issue of six edicts needs to be viewed with common sense rather than the letter of the law.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 08-20-2007 at 09:58.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast