Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Indomitable Nile: A Ptolemaic AAR

Default Re: The Indomitable Nile: A Ptolemaic AAR

The egyptain is you. Now get a move on.

(jk. Take your time. But not too much. )

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

*Historians Notes*
    The Journal of the Ptolemies is a valuable asset to understanding the dynamics and reasoning of these rulers. The Journal starts in 272 BC but to truly understand the situation in Egypt it is necessary to provide some earlier historical context. Because the Journals start with the rule of Ptolemy II it is clear that there was a Ptolemy I. In fact Ptolemy I was a very powerful individual who was given Egypt as his Satropy after the Death of Alexander in 323 BC. He died in 283 BC but abdicated the throne nearly two years before his death. The half-brother of Ptolemy's son, Magas, was not inclined to accept rule from the newly crowned Ptolemy II. Nearly 20 years younger the older regent of Cyrene had little respect for the young ruler. Magas looked to Macedonia for sympathy. Makedonia, reeling from the loss of Alexander's kingdom, was looking to regain its former glory. Could a first step be in Africa? This would be Ptolemy's first major problem to deal with.

Winter, 272 BC - Encamped on the Giza Plateau
    Having been crowned the second Ptolemy of Egypt, has officially given me free reign of rule.

My father, having abdicated the throne, has entrusted me to protect us against many enemies. I have ordered an army be raised to further our sphere of influence to our west. With the Carthaginians as our Allies I feel it is time to bring some of the border regions into our control. Years of war and disrepair has left much of Egypt without adequate roads, sewers, and estates. It is time to bring these things up to minimal standards. There are more southerly reaches of the Nile I wish to explore and resources to be had. To our West lies various Oasis with solid trade potential. The Selucids appear to be embroiled in a conflict of various independent cities of their own. Various tribes to their north are forcing them to refocus their efforts away from us. Their defeat by my father still resonates and I doubt they will be back anytime soon. I will use this time to improve the Ptolemic kingdom. I hope to set out in a year.

Winter, 270 BC - Beseiging Kyrene
    I have learned of a disturbing plot against all of Egypt. I have arrived in Kyrene. It is with great regret that I do this but I really have no choice. Apparently my older half brother, Magas, has allied with the Macedonians.

This does not bode well. For if this alliance comes to fruition then Macedonia will no doubt seek out further lands including my own. They too would seek to take Alexander back to Pella. The Macedonians want nothing more than an encore performance of conquering the known world. Our history is bitter between us my brother and I. My father having chose me as the next Ptolemy, making me Ptolemy II, created a unbridgeable divide between us. Although he is my brother he was whisked away and given Kyrene to dilute his hate. Clearly he has deceived me and intends to stab me in the back with poisoned blade. The Macedonians no doubt, along with Basileus Selukia, have clear plans for my destruction. The Selukids are masters of assasinating anyone that stands in their way. Before Selukia however I must deal with the betrayl by my own half-brother. I am expecting him to emerge to discuss terms. If he is coward enough to plot with our Greek brothers in the north than he will be coward enough to sneak out of the sticky situation he has found himself in. It is hard for me to believe that all the generals that fought so hard for Alexander seem to fight with the same fury against each other following his passing. Power it would seem has no limits of its ability to turn people against one another.

Spring, 268 BC - Royal Palace, Kyrenia

The hopes of Magas coming to offer terms vaporized when his army charged out of the gates. Although less equiped they did offer a good fight. Two days before the battle Magas emerged. He looked rather unkempt and disheveled. His horse strained under his enormous girth.
    "So how are you my dear brother? It seemed only yesterday you had come to my palace for the festivals." Pausing momentarily and looking at my entourage he continued, "Ah you are so young. Surely you are not wise enough to rule Egypt? What was your father thinking!"
    I knew he was trying to fluster me but it wouldnt work. I spoke directly to him as Kingly as possible, "You have some loose lips around your palace dear brother." He sat quietly. "One of your mistresses stole away from your city in the middle of the night and warned of a plot you had been undertaking." I shook my head with regret and looked down at the mane of my horse before continuing. "It would seem you wish to allow Macedonia to gain access to Africa. This is clearly unacceptable." I continued to look at him and it was becoming difficult to determine who was more uncomfortable, him or his horse. "I dont deny these charges. This young upstart would ruin what rightly belongs to Macedon. Can you Ptolemy Philedelphus ignore that if it wasnt for Macedon then Alexander would not have existed? If anyone were to rule Alexander's kingdom it should be Macedon!"
    Cheers went up from his men behind him and I realized there was no dissuading this man from his position. "I cannot have someone on my doorstep that cannot be trusted. It is true that you have ruled Kyrene for 40 years but I cannot accept this transgression. Your loyalty is greatly misplaced. You have until the full moon to surrender the city. Should you wait a night longer than you will get no quarter." He looked somewhat stunned at my words. Perhaps he thought he could use the family connection against me. But I had long taken the position that any family member who betrayed me would be no less the enemy.
    After a short pause in which the desert wind stirred the sand around the feet of our men and horses he continued. "I had no choice my dear brother. You must understand that I did what I did for the betterment of what the great Alexander stood for. We are all Makedons, Philedelphus. Should we continue this bitter feud even further? When will it end? Why not rule Egypt under the direction of Makedonia? Could it really be that bad?"
    I was fuming. My father sacrificed so much to guarantee the safety of Egypt. I will not dishoner him by handing over control to tyrants thousands of miles away. "You have until the full moon. Should you wait another night you will not gain quarter from me"
    I turned my horse around and led my bodyguards back to our lines of circumvallation. I sobbed quietly in my tent knowing that I must kill someone close to my father. It pained me more than I imagined. He did not give word and several weeks after the meeting with their supplies running low he charged from the gates with his garrison in an attempt to surprise us.
    The battle went poorly for them from the start. Their light cavalry charging into my light spearmen were unseated from their mounts and cut down. His skirmishers meshed with my light spearmen and his heavy cavalry charged into the spearmen toppling their resolve. Magas fell from his horse, I feel the horse needed to be free from the great bulk of the man, and continued to fight but when the first rout occured he was left behind his fleeing army and my cavalry cut him down. After the light spears had been significantly bloodied, and bloodied the enemy, I withdrew them and the enemy plunged into the phalynx. The Machimoi phalynx perfomed well. Although they are native Egyptians they have quickly learned the power of the phalynx.

They are disciplined and fight effectively. It will be quite some time before I can field a true professional Hellenic army. The Machimoi are conscripts. They have agreed to fight in exchange for land and a share of loot. Cyrene had plenty of loot and resources. The hills bristle with stately trees that can be used for many things. Its geographic location alone makes it a valuable addition to the Ptolemaic empire.
    I found his body after the battle. Laying next to some of his bodyguards he died honorably enough but all honor is gone while you lay in a pool of your own blood. I had him washed and cleaned. I took him to the embalmer where he was properly prepared for the afterlife. I had my brother interred in a tomb in the hills around the city. Despite our differences and hatred he was afterall family and I felt it only proper to give him a dignified burial. He would seem to have suffered greatly in life...there was no need for him to suffer in the afterlife. I wanted to leave Kyrene as quickly as possible. These are dreadful memories for me and I wish to depart as soon as possible.
    Scenes from the Battle of Kyrene:

^^Rallying his men to the banner of Kyrene

Spring, 268 BC- Ammonion Oasis
    Having traveled from Kyrene through the vast sand sea, we have arrived at Ammonion.

A strong Hellenic presense is here and Epithersos is the governor of this fabled region.

This was to be the true resting place of Alexander. The Oracle decreed that he was a god.

However my father wished that he be taken to Memphis to be properly prepared in the classic Egyptian method. I cannot say whether my father's decision was the right one, however judging by the great isolation of this place I would say that having him interred in Alexandria was a wise decision. I dont feel that I could guarantee the security of this place should someone want to defile our great King's body. With plenty of water and food stores it would seem the town would be able to hold out for quite some time. I will prepare my army for a long siege. I have no desire to lose men unnessarily.
    My son, Euergetes, has been accompaning me on campaign and I am trying to teach him about warfare. He is learning, albeit slower than I did with my father.

His wife has given birth to a boy Agesalious and I am now a grandfather.

My other son, Lysimachos has also come of age and is aggresively learning from the great scholars of Alexandria and Memphis.

Spring 265 BC - South of the Ammonion Oasis
    With our western region secure and Ammonion surrendering without a drop of blood spilt we press south.

The exotic regions of the Southern Nile allure me. The independent region of Kush, who trade extensively with us, has turned away offers to join the empire. I think I will offer them a good reason to join. Clearly a large army at their capital would go far to persuade them. It is a long way to travel for the army. The dark skinned peoples of the Kush region will do well to compliment my army.

My youngest son sends word that he is training as a physician. He wishes to be as knowledgeable as Imhotep himself. He has great skill and thought about medicine. He is still shy of 20 years of age and already he has performed procedures on nobility.

Winter 264 BC - South of Pelkis
    I have ordered that winter quarters be struck here in our southern most reaches of our known lands. We are approaching uncharted territory and my curiosity is peaked as to what we will find. Already different animals and other fauna have been spotted. I have hired Nubians to help navigate our way south. The river is becoming less still and more turbulent. The ground is less dry and the trees more stately. The mountains far to our southeast are rumored to have gold. This alone would be a most positive addition to our treasury. One of the scouts has already made it to the capital of the Kush region, Meroe, and said that although it is defended the types of troops are much lighter in armor. In fact many do not wear much other than a shield. The skin of these people is almost ebony. I have recieved word that the plague has struck Memphis and the priests have closed the doors of that great city. I am also the proud father of another son and I now have a third grandchild. My family is larger than I ever imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix27
    Sounds pretty good, Chirurgeon. I was thinking, it must be harder to write a history on something that didn't actually happen (unlike your Roman AAR)! I don't think I'll mind the slower pace, as I, like you, have a lot of school work to do and won't have as much time to read it! Plus, there are plenty of other great AARs around, like MAA's Makedonian AAR. Well, I am looking forward to reading this...
    This AAR has been a balancing act. I know of course that there was a Ptolemy II in real life but In the game there is that same Ptolemy. I have let the characters take on their own free will. However I did incorporate things like the feud with Magas. Of course with all my writings I have twisted history to fit the story a little better. Well the first part of Chapter I is up :)

I see the whip worked. Good one, Chirurgeon

AtB slave trader Member Malik of Sindh's Avatar

Exelent update!Please continue.

Asia ton Barbaron,a mini mod for EB.

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malik of Sindh
    Exelent update!Please continue.
    Seconded!

Yours,
    Treverer
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Bravo, sir.

Thirded!
    And it is nice to see that I have namely been mentioned in this chapter

Speak up for those who were silenced forever.
    Visit https://www.HellenicGenocide.org

AtB slave trader Member Malik of Sindh's Avatar

I hope someone will mention me when they conquer the Sind province.

Asia ton Barbaron,a mini mod for EB.

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

*has setup a small tent nearby, and is now sitting cross legged in front of Chirugeon, waiting for the next chapter....*

I am sitting quietly, can we begin?

Nice opening chapter mate.
    Cheers

@Caesar Augustus: I have several welts on my back thanks to you ;)
    @Basileus Selukia: I thought I had run you off. I blasted you back on the first page...as a Selucid of course :) I am sure you will be mentioned again. At least the faction you founded :)
    @ninja: I am working on it. I assure you. I thought about putting all of Ptolemy II rule into one chapter...but I think its too big.

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Excellent Update my good man!And I second what Caesar Augustus about that whip. Now back to work and double the speed!
    Last edited by Wolfman; 11-20-2007 at 19:58.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Quality needs time! Don't hurry Chirurgeon unnecessarly!

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Awesome update, Chirurgeon. Try to post a map of your empire at the end of every chapter, too. That way once you've gone a long way you can see how fast your empire's grown.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Quote Originally Posted by Treverer
    Quality needs time! Don't hurry Chirurgeon unnecessarly!
    I never do my friend I never do...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix27
    Awesome update, Chirurgeon. Try to post a map of your empire at the end of every chapter, too. That way once you've gone a long way you can see how fast your empire's grown.
    Yea I am still not done with chapter One. I have decided to break up the chapters according to the Rule of each Ptolemy. I think that will work. However Ptolemy II ruled for a very long time...thats why I have to break up the chapter.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Nice work, Chirurgeon.
    I like your battle pictures. With the angles, editting(?), and confusion of battle, some of them look quite realistic, like the one with the rebel rallying his men.

The only editing i do is basic cropping. I love that pic of Magas Kyrenias trying to break the phalynx. Thanks for following Marcus. On another note has anyone noticed there are ALOT of other AARs going at the same time? This is so awesome. EB is an amazing game and my hat goes off to the devs. I knew when I was betatesting that this was going to be special. Everytime I log on I go from Makedonia to Epirus to Egypt to the Sabyn...so awesome.

Counter-Revolutionary Member BerkeleyBoi's Avatar

This is a great AAR, especially with all the historical background you put with it. To be honest, the reason why I'm writing mine from the point of view of a lowly soldier is because I don't have the historical knowledge to describe the significance of a king's actions like you can. Keep up the good writing, I look forward to the next chapter!

Quote Originally Posted by BerkeleyBoi
    To be honest, the reason why I'm writing mine from the point of view of a lowly soldier is because I don't have the historical knowledge to describe the significance of a king's actions like you can
    But both of you have the talent to tell stories in a fascinating, even captivating style, which IMHO qualifies both of you as great Storytellers.

Yours,
    Treverer

Seconded!

You achieve the same thing (captivating and interesting your readers) but both in a different way.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Elphir
    Seconded!

You achieve the same thing (captivating and interesting your readers) but both in a different way.
    And IMHO you, dear sir, are on good way to become one of them too.

Yours,
    Treverer

Thanks for all the encouragement. I am impressed by all the AArs that are on the forums :)

Spring 262 BC - Kush

My scouts had told me of the forest elephants that inhabit this region. The natives know how to train these beasts and use them quite effectively.

Having never dealt with them my men were quite intimidated by their presence. I had to laugh a little as these elephants are smaller than their Indian counterparts. A local war leader had raised an army to try to repel our advances into his territory.

The Chieftain at Meroe is well aware of our advances. On a plain with some ancient mastabas we lined up to do battle. I sent my light spearmen into battle with their own light spearmen. For a while things went well until the war leader decided to charge into my light troops. In addition the elephants, keeping themselves out of range of my archers, whirled around the right flank of my spearmen and ravaged that end of the line. Soon panic set in and these light troops were running as hard as they could away from the great beasts. Countless men were stampeded into the earth. As the elephants pursued the fleeing men I realized the great beasts were heading for my main battle-line. This could be disastrous if they broke through my phalanx. I quickly ordered my Theorokai to move to the center and release their javelins. I ordered the Creten archers to focus their fire on the elephants. After a few tense moments the elephants broke rank and retreated back where they had come. In the process the stampeded through my retreating spear men and their own men. After the battle I shook my head at all the chaos that had ensued. I didn't like the beasts. They were uncontrollable and posed a risk to friend and foe alike. I must admit they were effective and had they not been there the battle may have been quite different. With the elephants routed I ordered my cavalry to charge their own and with our superior training and numbers the war leader fell attempting to rally his broken men. The men of this region may be primitive but they are quite resilient. I must however press on and join up with my advance force who is quickly making for the capital, Meroe.
    Scenes from the Battle of Kush:

Winter 261 BC - West of Axum
    I have left the main army behind with my son to lay seige with that force to Meroe. I am proceeding into the Ethiopian Highlands and preparing to lay siege to the mountain fortress of Axum. This city is well protected by geography and quite isolated. Gaining the favor of these dark-skinned peoples will give much security to our southern holdings. I will feel safer when Egypt is safe not only from the west but also from the south. I am rapidly approaching my 50th birthday. I have been handing over more and more duties to my son. The empire will soon be his and with it all the glory and problems. I have taught him to hate the Selukids and as soon as things are done here I hope to travel North and rejoin my family in Alexandria.

Summer 260 BC - Besieging Axum
    My eldest son has successfully captured the city of Meroe on an island that sits between various branches of the nile. Whats more is that he did it without spilling blood. I received his letter earlier this day:
    "Dear greatest father,
    I am writing to tell you that we have captured the wonderful city of Meroe. Before continuing I hope that the most just gods protect and keep you. I hope that you are in good health and your campaign goes well. As I stated the resistance dissapeared as soon as their food stocks ran low. Their King took his own life with poison and most of the garrison threw down their arms and became again of peasants, farmers, and hunters. It is a beautiful city with Hellenic influence. Also the architecture has Arabic influences as well. Fearing rebellion I have had no choice but to put down many of the male population. Within days of entering the city there were whispers of rebellion among the subjugated masses. I have mixed feelings about my actions and I hope to further discuss this and other things on our soon journey back to Alexandria.
    your most loyal son,

Euergetes"
    He is showing himself to be a promising leader and I fear his skills will be tested if the dreaded Selukids decide again to attack us.

Summer 258 BC - Axum
    The natives of Erythraia have surrendered their capital. I have had to slaughter many of the male inhabitants to prevent rebellion. I have ordered new infrastructure built by my men using the natives to assist. I have ordered my son, Euergetes, to return to Alexandria. I am going to stay here and supervise the construction of proper Hellenistic structures. These people are fierce and loyal. My aim is to gain their loyalty. Alas we control all of the regions around Egypt. In a few years I hope to leave and return to Alexandria in order to see to the affairs of the state. I recieved word that I have had another grandchild. In addition to my four children I know have eight grandchildren. I am a lucky King and father.

Winter 257 BC - Erythraia
    I have left a trusted adviser in charge of the city of Axum. I must return to Alexandria. The Selucids seem to be making moves to take various independent cities Including the Sinai Region. I fear another conflict will be ensuing should they be successful. I am in the harsh lands that border the Red Sea. I am following the coastal road north and have been having difficulty finding a clear path back to Alexandria. Nomads and brigands roam the countryside. Although I have a hundred men and fast horses I still do not like spending the night in such isolation. I will feel better when I am within the walls of Alexandria and I get to see my burgeoning family.

Spring 255 BC - Encamped North of Memphis
    My worst fears have come to pass. The vile Selukids have laid siege and subsequently sacked Tarsos.

It would seem the 5th Diodichi war is upon us. I have placed the recruitment duties and training for a new army under control of my son. He is to oversee the buildup of forces. A navy has been built in Alexandria where we will sail North. The Selucids are expecting an attack to retake Tarsas. I will surprise them. My goal is to attack their holding in Damascas. They will not expect an attack there and with the gods behind me I hope to send the Selucids reeling across the desert. Axum has rebelled and killed the garrison.

Alas I am not in a position to do much. Arabs apparently were behind the rebellion and they have firm control of that city. Our army will set out over the summer and by autumn will have loaded into the fleet where we will land in Sidon. From there we attack the Selucids holdings in Syria.

254 BC - South of Sidon
    I am exhausted and ill. Having suffered terribly on the ships north to our location I have elected to stay in Sidon with the gracious hospitality of the people there. I have Euergetes in charge.
    Having me accompanying the army will only slow their progress and lower morale. My days of fighting are over I'm afraid. The Selukids still have not responded to our landing and subsequent march East.

Autumn 253 BC - Sidon
    My aching body nearly jumped for joy upon hearing of my son's success. The Selucids threw together an adhoc army that didnt stand a chance. Nonetheless my son led them valiently and in the winter will attack Damaskos. He tells me that two Selucid generals fell during the battle. Our light troops and skirmishers held up quite well and the phalynx never had to be used. The light troops combined with the cavalry brought the enemy down. Again nothing glorious but any victory brings a fathers heart great pride.

Later that same week I was told that Damaskos relented and the city has fallen into our hands. What a glorious day! Euergetes came to me and discussed his plans to march north and to attack Antioch.

I have approved of this. He hopes to set out in the Spring. Our navy has also sunk the Selucid fleet as well giving us complete control over the Eastern Meditereannean. He has made some changes to the army. He has taken to employing magnificent warriors from Damaskos. From the lands to our North live a fair skinned people that originally came from the forests of Europe. Having taken refuge in Galatia, they too would seem to want to be free of the Selucid Yoke.

His new army will set out and hopefully capture Antiochus. My son has demonstrated himself to be a competent leader. The men respect him and so do the people.

Winter 251 BC - Sidon
    My son visited me today. Euergetes told me the story of how he defeated several small Selucid armies and then having scattered them laid siege to the great city of Antioch. This great city has stood for eons. It has been a struggle of late to get out of bed but hearing that my oldest boy was coming to see me after capturing such a city is a great joy and has given me new found energy..
    Skirmishes in Syria:

He came into the room. His dress was smart and noble. His hair oiled and placed perfectly. Ah he still looked so young but he was much wiser. "War will do that to a man" I heard myself say quietly. HIs cloak intricately embroidered with the great eagle that guards Egypt. He carried the staff of the heir. While my own staff of great Pharonic tradition we both lifted them a few inches above the floor and then pushed them into the floor with a coordinated thump. It is a tradition my father started with me. The heir and the ruler giving each other the respect they each deserve. The ruler provided the heir with all he has and the heir will watch over the rulers lands when he is gone. My staff has an intricately carved eagle on the top with several snakes wrapping themselves around the length of the pole. Euergetes's staff has a great scarab at the top, with many more appearing to scurry down the pole to the floor. The headpiece of the staff is gold with inlaid gems. The eagle and the scarab both having gems for eyes. Diamonds for the eagle representing clear and unfazed vision and Rubys for the scarab representing intensity and confidence. When I die he will get my staff and his named heir will get his. The priests have coordinated the ritual to perfection. We talked late into the night and we talked about the direction of our kingdom and how the Selucid threat must be contained. He wanted to push them to the Tigris river and I had to temper his enthusiasm a bit. I felt that striking at the heartlands of the Selucids would be a mistake at this point. It would be better to take their holdings in Anatolia. With our allies, the Greek Cities, keeping the Macedonians busy the only threat we would have are the several Independent kingdoms that inhabit Anatolia. He agreed but he did want to see the gates of Babylon himself. I told him that in due time...in due time. Euergetes younger brother was also coming to Sidon. At the age of 31 he had established himself as a great physician and a great Cavalry man. In addition to my four children I now also have 8 grandchildren. I am visited often here in the coolness of the cedars of Lebanon.

Winter 249 BC - Sidon
    Euergetes sends word that Tarsas has fallen to his forces.

He used his Galatians to break through the gates and smash the garrison inside. His brother, and possible heir when I die, has also joined him. He said the Selucids had basically abandoned the city knowing that if Antioch fell that would be our next target. Antioch also fell with less than great resistance from the Selucids. He is encamped in Side and I have told him to come to Sidon so that we may talk about his next move. I seem to grow more frail each passing day, week, and month. I am much relieved that we have recovered Tarsus. I was quite worried about it. I felt helpless when that city fell. I wanted nothing more than to travel there and free those poor people. The Selucids, in their typically coward way, put the populace to the sword.

Spring 247 BC - Traveling with the Fleet
    Against the wishes of my attendants I have borded the Fleet and am heading for the distant shores of Helicanassus. Euergetes is laying siege to that ancient city and I wish to see it for myself. I have heard of the wonders of that place and wish to see it for myself. I have placed my youngest son, Epigetes as governor of Sidon. He is a mere 20 years of age. I want nothing more than to see my oldest two boys again. We will be stopping in Antiochus where I will check on the progress of that territory. The Selucids are clearly having a bad go at things. Losses to the Bactrian Satropy, to us, and now I hear to the Kingdom of Pontus is no doubt frustrating to the Basileus. It serves them well. I have felt better due to the salves of the healer and my second oldest son is trained extensively when it comes to disease. He can take just as good care of me as anyone else. I wish to see these great soldiers that my son writes about.

Summer 246 BC - Karia
    After a battle with the remains of the Selucid fleet and having sunk their remaining ships we made it to the Karia coast, albeit a bit late, in time to see my son accept the city from Governor. When the dust settled I toured the great Mausaleim here and stood in wonder of its greatness.

I made a review of the troops and found them adequate. The neat line of sarissas all even pointing straight skyward, the polished shields and greaves, the intense eyes of the men, and the overall feel of the army made me to conclude that an armies confidence could not be higher. Together I rode with my son in front of the long lines of men gathered at the base of the Mausaleum. Our conversation encompassed his future and the future of the Ptolemic Empire. I sat proudly on my horse and listened to my son. I added my own insight where I could. However I felt like I was watching a King.
    "So my dear son what will you do now?" I gently probed.
    "I am glad you have come father for this much to discuss. Although Karia is independent and had no agreements with our friends or, more importantly, our enemies she is bordered to the north by both Makedonian and the holdings of Antiochus II."
    I nodded slowly in agreement. The men marched by displaying their various formations. The sarissa wielding phalanx moved together to form avenues between each man and allowed the mighty Galatians to come to the front of the formation.
    "Ah father look at my shock infantry. These mighty Galatians can nearly cleave a man in two!" He stated with emphatic pride. I admired these large statured men. Their flowing blonde hair and blue eyes. Everything about them was large.
    "They are an impressive lot. How have they served?" I inquired.
    "Father between you and me I think they are the best soldiers I have ever seen. They instill fear in other men. When the enemy charges them they stand firm and when they charge its like watching beasts tearing asunder all before them!"
    My old grey eyebrows raised upon hearing this. "Truly they are worthy of your royal Ptolemic Army."
    My son turned and looked at me upon hearing this. "Father I have served in your stead. I know you have not been well, but this is your army. These men were trained by you. The followed you from the deepest reaches of the Nile. I am just commanding on your behalf."
    "I appreciate your politeness son but you and I know that the men respect your leadership skills." I smiled and looked at Euergetes and placed my hand on his leg. "I may be their king but you are their commander. This is your army now. I am merely a spectator." Upon saying the Euergetes merely stared ahead keeping his head high. Although unnoticed by others as his father I could tell he was suppressing his emotions. I changed the subject.
    "I hear your native Machimoi are restless."
    Snapping back to the current situation from his drifting mind my son replied, "Yes father. They wish to go home."
    "As they should. As they should." I nodded slowly. The Machimoi had served for 25 years and originally agreed to defend their homelands against people like Magas Kyrenias. But now they were very far away and wished to return home. I made arrangements for land grants along the Nile for each man.
    "There are a large number of Hellenic settlers in Antioch and elsewhere around Syria that could serve you." I heard myself say.

"Indeed father there are and I will have to see to their training. I plan on leaving here when the cool northern winds start. I will use the winter to bring a new force up to par and then in the spring transport them here to Helicarnassus."
    "A good plan. And what of the Macedonian fortress at Mytilene? Clearly they cannot be left behind your army." I stated bluntly.
    Euergetes took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I am hoping that the Makedonians and the Selucids dont put aside their differences. Their hatred of each other will be an asset. I will attack the Mytilene stronghold as soon as possible and then turn my attention to Lydia and the Selucid cities there."
    Nodding in agreement I bid him farewell and headed back into the city. I have overflowing pride for my son, but I do not want that to create an overflowing arrogance in response.

Autumn 245 BC - Helicanassus
    It took Euergetes significantly longer than he wanted to train the men from Syria. I had time to work as governor and kept myself busy. As I organized my son's future kingdom I had several visitors. My family, and its according strength, continues to expand. I am now a great grandfather. The infants were brought to see me. It is odd for my son to be a grandfather. Even more so for his son to be a father!

^^I was forced to cut off a few family members that extended off the screen. Ptolemy II has a huge family, (I'm waiting for Basileus Selukia to make some incest rial comment about this family tree :) )
    The fleet is off the coast several days away and when Euergetes arrives he will no doubt be ready for his campaign in the north. I have never been happier.

*Historians Note*
    Ptolemy II died in the winter of 243 BC. He ruled the Egyptian Satropy for over 30 years and expanded the realm greatly. Although losing the southern most area to the Arabs his gains in Southern Anatolia (Turkey) offset this greatly. Many would argue that he was merely a figurehead to his eldest son, nonetheless it was his guidance and advice that helped the Prince. Having defeated the Selucids at every turn only solidified the Ptolemic grip on the Eastern Mediterranean.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

I can see this AAR is only going to get better! Are you planning on making videos of your battles like you did for your last two AARs, or are you too busy for that this time around?

On a side note: This is truly a great time to be an AAR reader! Right now, there is somewhere around 8 or 9 active AARs to read, and at least one of them updates every day. My favorites are your AAR, Chirurgeon, MAA's Antigonids Makedonia AAR, hoaahguy's History of Baktria, berkeleyboi's Spear and Shield Saba AAR, and Elphir's Age of Aiakides Epeiros AAR. Skandaz's Pax Germanica, Sygrod's Pontic Campaign, and CirdanDarix's Rise of the KH are also pretty interesting. I'm also anxious to see the start of Frodge's Makedonian Rebirth. And to think, two weeks ago this board was so barren I was thinking of going back and re-reading your Sands of Africa and History of the Roman Empire! Thanks to all for keeping me and everyone else on these boards entertained, and keep up the great work with your AARs!
    Last edited by Chaotix; 11-25-2007 at 23:28.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

A truly excellent update, Chirurgeon! I don' think I have ever read your other AARs, which factions were they about?

Videos?

The other campaigns were Romani and Karthadasim.

Awesome update as usual, Chirurgeon! =D
    This space intentionally left blank.

follow the links on my signatures caesar augustus. :) I have videos of my battle s in those AARs.
    @Chaotix:
    Thanks It is getting very interesting. Im not sure about the videos. Its alot of work to be honest. I dont think I will have the time to do it. Although who knows if there is enough support from the folks who read these AARs I could be swayed to do video.
    And yes the number of AARs going is just staggering. I chose the Ptolemai because no one had done them. I wasnt sure about it when I started. Now they have grown on me and I like playing them.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Nice update, Chirurgeon.

I played a long Ptolemai campaign when testing v1.0 and I really enjoyed them. I had never played them for long and didn't think much of them, but they turned out to be more fun then expected. I just wish they could get the Pantodapoi phalanx for expanding against AS. Hope you have fun with them.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 11-26-2007 at 02:59.

I will and thanks :) Its funny watching your AAR and your continued expansion and then to see mine. Watching the Ptolemic kingdom shrink in your AAR and watching it grow in mine. Its an interesting contrast. So far I have not had an equal army challenge my own. Im waiting for some good Phalanx grinding :)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast