Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Banners of Sab'yn

Counter-Revolutionary Member BerkeleyBoi's Avatar

Default The Banners of Sab'yn

Hello all, so I've been gone for a little while, but at long last I have returned to EB. I wanted to create a different AAR with a new faction, but after trying Bactria, Averni, and Sweboz, I found that I had to return to my first love: the Sab'yn.

I'll be picking up where my old AAR, Spear and Shield, left off. However, since I'm playing 1.1 and I don't have my old save, I'm just conquering the territory I left off with and then pressing 'end turn' until I get to my end date.

To make things less redundant, I'll be putting the perspective of the AAR in the eyes of entire armies, or as I call them, banners. Each chapter will be from the point of view from a different soldier from one of the banner armies. However, they will somehow be connected to the main character from Spear and Shield (hopefully).

The banner armies will mostly be created from a single city-type of troops. For example, if I built an army from my capital, that banner will consist of mostly Arab slingers and skirmishers, Saba levy spearmen, some of those light cavalry, and maybe a band of Saba nobles.

I'll be playing with EB 1.1 for BI. Autowin will be used for odds greater than 2 to 1 unless it's a siege. Autowin will be used for sieges only if odds are greater than 3 to 1.

I'll do my best to keep up with this, but please bear in mind that I'm also working on my masters degree and going to work full time.

Well, that's about it, I hope you enjoy!
    Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 10-26-2008 at 05:24.

Default Re: The Banners of Sab'yn

Don't you mean Spear and Shield?

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

No way! It's back! Spear and Shield is back! You can bet I'll be following this.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    Don't you mean Spear and Shield?
    Haha! It's been so long I forgot the name of my old AAR!

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Excellent, the last one was really good. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

That should go down as one of the most ironic posts ever. You call it Sword and Spear, and then in your sig it says Spear and Shield!

subscribed. Best of luck with this BB!

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Prologue: Of India

All those born under my family name were criminals or scoundrels in their past life. That is the only explanation for the suffering that my ancestors have gone through. That is the way of Karma. A soul's sin debt can only be repaid through suffering.

My great grandfather sought glory and honor in battle against Alexander the Great, but was betrayed by his own lord who submitted to the foreigner and was murdered when he refused to surrender.

My grandfather was stripped of his family sword by the Greek rulers, given a peasants spear, and was told to stand with the untouchables before he was trampled under Ashoka's war elephants.

My father served the Mauryans faithfully for many years as a drillmaster, but the gods chose to reward him with death as plague swept through our village.

The people whisper that my family name is cursed, that no matter what goodness lies in our heart, the souls that inhabit our bodies are tainted with past evils. After my father died, I accepted my fate and awaited my punishment each day. I would climb to the top of the highest tree during a thunder storm when I was a boy. I never gave alms to the poor that begged at my feet. I was the first to charge the enemy when I was levied to fight against the northern horsemen. I was not afraid of death nor dishonor for I knew it was my destiny.

Yet the gods have cursed me with life each time. I married a woman that I did not love and waited for them to take her away so that I could laugh at their folly. But the gods are clever and saw the truth in my heart. The gods were waiting for an opportunity to strike and today, I fear that time has come.

My wife has given me a son and I love him with all my heart.

I prayed to the gods for the first time this morning so that my son can live a happy life, but I should have known better.

A messenger came bearing news that the Mauryan army was wiped out by an invading host of dark skinned warriors. Even now, they are burning, pillaging, and raping across the land, coming to take my only love away.

I stand with a knife against my newborn's throat, yet he does not cry. He stares at me with the eyes of a warrior... no, not a warrior. He has the eyes of a king. He challenges me as if he holds a blade to my neck as well and I hesitate just as the door behind me bursts open.

A dark skinned man stands alone. A spear in one hand. A shield in the other. My son cries out as if in recognition and I snap out of my trance. I raise my knife to strike as the spear head exits from under my chin and at last, I am at peace.

Looks very promising! I'll have to have a look at your old one first
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP!

It's back! Gods be praised!
    This space intentionally left blank.

I just read Spear and Shield. Phenomenal! I've never seen such quick, dramatic delivery that held such pathos. Screenshots, turns of phrase, pacing... all top-notch. I seldom follow AARs, but I've already subscribed to this one. I look forward to its continuation with great anticipation.

你表现力真的很利害哦!我也住在中国,但是我本来是加拿大人.

-Glee
    Sheer musical genius: Gould on Mozart

Balloons: ("Welcome to EB" from T.A.)

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Heh...maybe you should do this when AtB comes out. Then you can be the Mauryans...that is, if we ever finish it.

Subscribed.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachos View Post
    Looks very promising! I'll have to have a look at your old one first
    Hehe, yeah a lot of the things I mention might be difficult to catch without reading the first one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP!

It's back! Gods be praised!
    Glad you're excited! I'll try my best to meet your expectations
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleemonex View Post
    I just read Spear and Shield. Phenomenal! I've never seen such quick, dramatic delivery that held such pathos. Screenshots, turns of phrase, pacing... all top-notch. I seldom follow AARs, but I've already subscribed to this one. I look forward to its continuation with great anticipation.

你表现力真的很利害哦!我也住在中国,但是我本来是加拿大人.

-Glee
    我以前是在中国可是现在来了美国。你在中国哪儿啊?

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    Heh...maybe you should do this when AtB comes out. Then you can be the Mauryans...that is, if we ever finish it.

Subscribed.
    Yeah, I definitely want to play AtB as the Mauryans, but I just couldn't wait that long.

Quote Originally Posted by BerkeleyBoi View Post
    Hehe, yeah a lot of the things I mention might be difficult to catch without reading the first one...
    Nothing to worry about, I've read it today It had been finished long before I joined and there was now way to read every existing AAR Gladly I had a reason to make up for it now
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

The Africa Banner

I stand on small wooden raft surrounded by a sea of black. Swords, spears, and bows rise up from that ocean and shake, followed by a thundering chanting in their native tongue.

“Lord Hayu Il Watar, the people of Ethiopia welcome you”

To the left of me stood a tall man with skin as dark as the night sky. His black hair was curled tight against his head and a fearsome tattoo covered half his face. He is my bodyguard, my translator, and my best friend.

I am not known to be good with people. When I was a boy, I hid behind the skirts of my mother whenever visitors arrived. I never played with the other children at school and even as a grown man, I shunned the company of others.

Demissie was different from the others. He first served as part of my family's household guard and was my teacher in the ways of martial arts. I was wary of him at first because of how strange he looked, but he seemed to understand me in ways that others could not. He was a man of few words, but each word he spoke seemed to be of great importance. Gradually, we became friends and when I was ordered to Africa to form a new banner for the king, I took him with me.

“Good. Get them onto the boats. We leave at dawn” I started to step down from the raised wooden platform when I heard Demissie cough loudly, our secret signal that I was about to commit another social gaffe. I sighed, straightened up, and looked over to my old friend. “Alright. Quiet them down”

Demissie raised a single opened hand in the air and the entire army hushed. “I will translate for you, my lord”

I nodded and began my awkward speech about fighting for the glory of the gods and our empire. I spoke of how they should fight to their best of their abilities as I will lead them to the best of my own. I told them about their own strength before blabbering on about my training, my service in conquering Arabia, and how the sky is blue.

The crowd roared with approval after Demissie translated in his own special way, cutting out all the unnecessary things that I usually say and adding more spice to the words that I used. I knew this because his translation was about three times as long as my own speech.

“Is there anything else you want to say, my lord?”

I nodded and pointed towards the coast. “Yes. Tell them to board the ships for at dawn, we sail for India”
    Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 10-26-2008 at 19:49.

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

i LOVE your work man plz keep it up i hope yellow fever doesnt rip u a new !@E#!R!@ED@#like it did last time

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Blackeyes View Post
    i LOVE your work man plz keep it up i hope yellow fever doesnt rip u a new !@E#!R!@ED@#like it did last time
    Hehe, I'm already fighting with them but I'm holding them off so far.

And the pace will be a little slow as I introduce the situation, characters, and history, but it'll pick up soon after that.

我以前是在中国可是现在来了美国。你在中国哪儿啊?
    (I‘m at work and don't know the Chinese input system of this computer; possibly wubi)

Ah, I was under the impression -- from comments in your Saba and Hai AARs -- that you were between Beijing and Hong Kong. Anyways, I'm in Shanghai.

Alright, back to writing!

-Glee
    Last edited by Gleemonex; 10-27-2008 at 06:45.
    Sheer musical genius: Gould on Mozart

Balloons: ("Welcome to EB" from T.A.)

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Nice to see that you're back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleemonex View Post
    (I‘m at work and don't know the Chinese input system of this computer; possibly wubi)

Ah, I was under the impression -- from comments in your Saba and Hai AARs -- that you were between Beijing and Hong Kong. Anyways, I'm in Shanghai.

Alright, back to writing!

-Glee
    At the time, I was in Guangzhou, but now I'm going to school in America again. Shanghai is a nice place, much better than Beijing in my opinion, but my heart still belongs to Guangzhou despite the high crime rate, excessive pollution, overpopulation, and bad manners.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    Nice to see that you're back.
    Thanks for the welcome. I can see that your AAR is still going strong, bloody amazing!

American Journal of Archaeology

Excavated Letters of Getachew – Ethiopian Captain of the Horses of the Sab'yn Africa Banner Army

My Love,

Our general does not look like a great man. He is middle aged, bearded, and his eyes shift from right to left as he speaks. The sounds that come out of his mouth could not be heard by anyone, even I who stood two strides from the platform. His clothes are dirty and his beard unkempt, it is hard to believe he is our master and not some poor old man thrown into war. But it is the content of his speech that mattered. His translator told us what he spoke in a loud clear voice about the generals many conquests and glorious victories in the sands of the east. He inspired us with words of our ancestors that we thought only Ethiopians knew of. He described the riches of India, ripe for our plunder, in a such a way that I began to salivate. And now, we are preparing to leave on the ships to sail for glory and wealth! I will bring you back many golden anklets and ornaments to decorate your body so that even the queen will be envious! When I return... [The rest of the letter goes on about love making and other such activities not fit for publication].

My Love,

We have been at sea for many days now. I am desperately homesick and even more sea sick. I have not been able to hold any food in my stomach for longer than an hour since we left Ethiopia. Send me alone to fight an army of Indians with nothing but a twig and I will do so and bring back victory. But the sea is not something that we can fight. It churns and rolls and I can no longer tell what is up or down... [The rest of the letter is covered with some strange substance composed of many different materials].

My Love,

Dry land at last! I never thought I would be so happy to be able to walk steadily with my own two feet again. It took us many days to unload our supplies and prepare the men for battle. My own warriors were quick to suit up and stand ready for march, but many of the levy spears and archers went off on their own to raid the farms and villages that dotted the coast. One of them even came back with a baby in his arms, claiming that he would take him home to be his son! After one week, we finally made off and laid siege to the capital city called Patala and we made camp alongside the river [The rest of the letter goes on describing a little monkey that Getachew found and befriended].

My Love,

I have been a warrior since I was old enough to hold a spear. I have raided our enemies and fought battles for the Arabians for many years. Yet I have never known war such that I have seen today.

We outnumbered the enemy and recruited some local mercenaries to help us fight. We prepared rams and fire arrows to smash their defenses. The general once again gave a rousing speech right before we attacked so that our morale was high. Who would have known that these Indians would fight so savagely and with so much passion as they defended their homes?

The battle began as all battles did. Our archers unloaded volley after volley over the city's small wooden walls while our rams smashed holes in their defenses.

Our spearmen charged in soon afterwards and held the enemy soldiers while the swordsmen circled around to cut the enemy from behind.

But instead, they came face to face with the elephants. I have seen elephants in my life and even rode one as a boy. Yet these elephants were not those of Africa. They were much larger and fiercer. Our mercenaries showered them with javelins and cut at their underbelly, just as we always did when fighting the Egyptians in Africa, but they did not fall. They only became enraged.

What began as a carefully planned siege suddenly became total and utter chaos. Our entire army swarmed around, charging at or running away from the elephants as they threw our men into the air, trampled them into the ground, or gouged them with their tusks. I led my own unit into battle, charging right into the elephants when they had their backs turned to us.

An archer sitting on the tower shot an arrow through the brother next to me and another horse went down as it tripped over a pile of corpses, yet we went on. We slammed into the elephant, but we might as well have charged a brick wall. The monster trumpeted and spun around, slapping a horsemen ten feet into the air with its trunk. Some of my men fled, but the others persisted. They were falling now, slowly but surely, from the many cuts and stab wounds we inflicted on them.

At last there was only one left, the largest elephant I have ever seen in my life. It roared like a lion in defiance as it killed the men that tried to close in on it. The lord of that city stood on that creature, screaming curses at us as his bodyguards shot arrows into our ranks. We must have cut that creature a thousand times before it finally fell. Even as it laid dying, it still killed another man that came to close, squeezing the life out of him with its trunk.

With their general dead, we won the battle, but at what cost? Almost half our men were dead and the citizens of that city looked ready to riot. But I promise you, my sun and moon, I will return to you with a chest full of gold [This was the last letter found at the ancient dig site. Surprisingly enough, it was not buried in India, but on the island of Crete].
    Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 10-28-2008 at 06:43.

So I thought I'd just check out how the rest of the world is doing and I turned off the fog of war for a turn.

I don't think this AAR is going to last very long...
    Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 10-28-2008 at 05:16.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Good update.
    I like the preview/twist/teaser at the very end.

EDIT: Wow, did the AS just lay down and let Ptl roll over them?
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 10-28-2008 at 05:18.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    Good update.
    I like the preview/twist/teaser at the very end.

EDIT: Wow, did the AS just lay down and let Ptl roll over them?
    Well, it's 214 BCE right now because I just did nothing but hit end turn until 230 BCE to catch up to where Spear and Shield left off. I guess AS just got their butts handed to them during that time. I didn't even notice the faction destroyed thing pop up.

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

HOLY @!$#R DUDE yellow fever is gonna RAPE U GL with them
    Last edited by Olaf Blackeyes; 10-28-2008 at 08:32.

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

IN the old AAR, you sacked Alexandreia...oh, those were the days. Then, it all "collapsed." That was epic.

I'm also scared of the yellow fever in my Epeiros campaign, but the Maks (from just Mytilene) have taken over Anatolia and much of the Caucasus. The Hai are almost dead, Pontos is RIP, and AS has 2 provinces left
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 10-28-2008 at 11:33.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

So I thought I'd just check out how the rest of the world is doing and I turned off the fog of war for a turn.

I don't think this AAR is going to last very long...
    I think this is the definition of "boned."

Just remember; they may take our lives, but they may never take our SAND!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

then maybe the ptolies are overpowered <.<

heheh they're back :death:
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Celto-Germanic Spearman Member Kuningaz's Avatar

Hey great to see this is back, I´m just afraid that this new AAR could end like the old one. I´ve actually never seen such strong ptolies but I´ve also never played until 214 B.C yet XD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast