Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of character thread XVI

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

Default Re: Out of character thread XVI

well, zirn offered to fight it, but if thats not gonna happen, i could try to fight it tomorrow or autoresolve it.
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Such a sad and surprising ending to the battle of Bern. I wonder what will happen to Swabia now?
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

looks like the principality wins?

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonsg91921
    looks like the principality wins?
    Heh, there we go.

The Battle of Bern was won by Wolfgang Hummel.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    Heh, there we go.

The Battle of Bern was won by Wolfgang Hummel.
    A pretty good strategy if you ask me.

Sit back and survive while your competition kills each other.

Also, I wouldn't want to be Athawolf right now...

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

athalwolf and wolfgang are both in no position to attack each other. but i guess athalwolf inherits the duchy...

Doesn't Hummel have a decent army at the moment, unlike von Salza(who will have the greater resources)? I get the feeling things will come to a head soon.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Would've been nice if someone of the loyallist survived... at least the rebellion down south is practilly dead.

EDIT: Forgot to thank Econ and players for such a great battle, sad ending.
    Last edited by Warluster; 11-18-2007 at 06:36.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, PK posted his general comments (as did FH) so I should too.

First of all, thanks to Stuperman, FH, PK, and of course, econ, for making the battle great.

Second of all... wow, just wow. I highly look forward the posting of all the orders PMs to get a general idea of what everyone's strategy was. I know there were some moments when I was torn about what to do (in case the bit in the Stories Thread didn't give you the hint ) and others when I was angry about econ and his dreaded dice.

Thirdly, the end. FH, I hope you're not too mad about me executing Hans. I did have a decision but I did kind of want to avenge the death of Jens Hummel all those years ago and if I didn't kill you I was afraid the battle would have been a total loss. I was actually banking on being taken prisoner, by men under the command of Jan the Merciful and all. Heh.

Fourthly... moving on. I would like to take Hermann Steffen (Lothar's eldest son) when he comes of age. This guy will be #5 and I hope he lives longer than the most recent two. I could take a recruitable general but I don't want to oversaturate the game with those guys and this will be my self-imposed punishment for not managing the Cataclysm and battle better. The rest of you guys who are still living, good luck.

Finally, this is my second "Epic Civil War PvP Battle" and I suppose that makes me the resident authority on the things (although Tamur is up there too). With that in mind, I advise you guys not to get in these things as they're pretty much only good for rapidly reducing the strength of armies that could be put to much better use. When looking at the results of all the PvP battles, the conclusion seems to be that unless you have killer tactics at your disposal the result will either be a bloody draw (Bern) or depend on who has the numerical edge (Rome). That said, I'd love to get in another one but not until the end of next PBM. Heh.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    I was actually banking on being taken prisoner, by men under the command of Jan the Merciful and all. Heh.
    Ironically, if Jan was alive, he would have ordered Dassel and Luther to be spared. (He was the "merciful" after all.) But, since Jan was killed, Econ must have decided for himself that Jan's men would kill Dassel. Jan only sent those 4 cav regiments to help Hans and give him a letter. I had no idea they would be used to deliver capital punishment. I can't wait to hear Econ's take on the battle.

*edit*

I realize that might read as a complaint. It isn't. I loved the ending. I just didn't expect it except for the possibility of Jan dying.
    Last edited by Privateerkev; 11-18-2007 at 07:22.

Duke of Nicosia

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    Gibson - we agreed not to use proxies unless people were going away for several weeks. By the rules, you should fight it yourself, autoresolve or not fight at all (if that is possible option).

TinCow can overrule the rules, though, so it is his call.
    Ack, I forgot about that. I previously told gibsonsg91921 that I would fight the battle for him if he wasn't able. The no-proxies rule completely slipped my mind. I'll abide by it in the future, but since I already told gibsonsg91921 that he could have a sub (me) I don't want to go back on my word. Zim has apparently requested to be the sub and gibson has agreed, so that is fine. After this I will not allow subs for short absences.

Of course, if gibson can fight the battle himself, that would be for the best.
    Last edited by TinCow; 11-18-2007 at 07:43.

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

I'd also like to thank FH, GH, PK, and of course econ. It was an awesome expierence, and has cool political implacations. I'd love to try again if I have a chance.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Alright, Gibson has communicated to me that if I get permission from Tincow (done, thank you TC ) and get a chance I should go ahead and take the save and finish the battle.

This is my first actual ingame action in KOTR so I'm a little mixed up about the procedure. I take it that the save in this post I linked is the most recent? And the pacification of rebels in his territory is the pending battle? So I just take that save, fight Peter's battle (taking screenshots), then upload it here in the OOC thread with the number at the ends added to?

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...&postcount=589
    Last edited by Zim; 11-18-2007 at 09:42.

You pretty much got it. Just remember that the basic difference between this and the Kingdoms Hotseats, is that we say we're "taking the save" in here. If you don't say it, it could mess things up if someone else grabs it.

Other than that, you pretty much have it down. Except you don't have to take screenshots as long as you take down the important information and PM it to TC. The information he needs can be found here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...&postcount=297

Duke of Nicosia

Ok. I am taking this save, I believe it to be the most recent (correction if I am mistaken is welcome). I have a Sunday School teachers' meeting tomorrow after church, but it should end in the early afternoon(late evening today for those of you closer to GMT). After that, I'll get to my gaming computer asap, and play out the battle.

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/kotr1330-12.zip

Thanks for the info, PK. I wouldn't have known all of that information was neccessary, and piecing it together from screenshots would have taken quite some time.

I'm guessing that another difference between this and say, a hotseat game, is that I am completely limited to the soldiers in Herr Peter's stack(or settlement if he is in one)?

Ah, there is another difference. Don't take the save unless your gonna fight it now and upload the new one in a couple hours. Unless no one else is waiting for it.

Duke of Nicosia

In that case, I am not taking the save. Not until tomorrow when I can fight the battle right away, at least.

I'm glad I'm figuring these things out now, rather than later on when I could make a mess of things.
    Last edited by Zim; 11-18-2007 at 09:43.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I am taking the save, to try and represent the result at Bern.

If you look at the final jpg, the battle was definitely a loyalist victory. Pretty much the entire Catholic Crusader Army is left standing, with Bern under its control. But I just could not believe what happened to all the army leaders in turn 6 (until turn 5, I thought all of them would make it - Dietrich has an exit road and the loyalists seemed in little danger).

I will merge the orders with the Battle thread to give more insight into the mechanics behind it.

In this thread, we have instructions from GH and PK about their next avatar - they seem fine to me. For Factionheir, I assume he will want to take Ehrhart Ruppel?

After the bloodbath at Bern, Elberhard is going to try to make some kind of initiative to stop this Swabian conflict. I aim to post that today.

I will liase with TinCow about what to do with the parts of Swabia that Hans controlled. But these are my thoughts. Hans died with no heir, so if there were a Diet, succession would be decided by a Council. However, with no Diet, Elberhard is going to appoint von Salza - the only remaining player controlled loyalist - a Duke for now. What happens in the longer term will be left vague, as part of the initiative Elberhard will start. Given the loyalist victory at Bern, I think it appropriate that Hans' territories and men pass over to the new Duke without a hitch. Dietrich's rebellion is over and Hummel's Principality is quite far away and depleted. Von Salza may give Ehrhart Ruppel whatever Counties or armies he sees fit.
    Last edited by econ21; 11-18-2007 at 10:26.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

During the battle deployment, Hans actually sent an IC letter to Salza an appointed him his heir in case he died during the battle, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and I need to PM you still econ.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

I have merged the orders with the feedback in the Battle of Bern thread.

wow...

Reading the Bern thread makes it all make sense. Now I see why the communication has to go through Econ. It really helped make the battle interesting to have more realistic communication.

So, Dassel killed Hans because he thought he could get away with it? He assumed Jan was alive and took Bern, therefore he thought he could take advantage of Jan's merciful reputation? But what Dassel didn't know, was that Jan was dead and his army had taken the city without him. So the Teutonic knights took it upon themselves to execute Dassel.

awesome...
    Last edited by Privateerkev; 11-18-2007 at 11:30.

Duke of Nicosia

You truly had me burst out laughing and almost fall of my chair with your fox/scorpion story econ!!!
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    You truly had me burst out laughing and almost fall of my chair with your fox/scorpion story econ!!!
    I was at school when I first heard that story. It was told by a Zionist speaker who was talking to the Sixth Form about Israel and the Middle East. I asked him a question, basically saying Israel should give land for peace. He replied with this story.

The ending was, of course, "This is the Middle East".

For a long time, I struggled to understand the story. It seemed silly and did not make sense to my rational mind. But I get it now.

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

The Battle of Bern was brutal. The death of all four leaders underscores the tragedy of the religious strife that they helped to inflame throughout the Reich. Each side now has it share of martyrs. One could predict a future where Lutherans and Catholics kill each other in the name of their fallen heroes for the next millennia.

Of course this doesn't parallel real history at all, nope.

I want to add my kudos to all the people involved, a compelling action.

I can only imagine what the fallout will be.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

The fallout will be more wives for the living bachelors (if we don't lose too many regions)

Very true indeed RE the middle east. But this isn't the backroom, so I won't be posting too much about it. Just that neither side will stop while the other one is still breathing, or gives land.

Post-Bern save:

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/kotr1330-13.zip

I rolled for each loyalist unit eliminated in the battle. On a roll of "6", they come back - representing the wounded, the lost etc. Three of Hans' regiments came back - two knights and a sergeant. The survival of the knights could be interpreted as the hardcore veterans of the loyalist victory.

I disbanded all the rebels - after the Flemish crossroads, I figured the loyalists would be leery of accepting any "turncoat" regiments. However, I did keep the bombard - as presumably, the loyalists could seize it and recrew it with reliable men.

All three dead generals had unpleasant vacations on Crete.

Factionheir asked me to save the Holy Grail, by sending it to Elberhard or Ruppel. I figure the Catholic crusaders will have been careful with it.I have passed it on to Elberhard. It seems one of the most useful relics (increasing healing rates), so I will make sure it does not die with Elberhard - perhaps passing it on from Kaiser to Kaiser?

TinCow can overrule any of these decisions.

Saruman the Wise Member deguerra's Avatar
    Melbourne, Australia (but born and bred in Germany)

hey guys,

not to be naggy :D, but whats the news on me getting a character? Take my insolent impatience as a compliment regarding the awesomeness of this game. that being said, if you still need some time to think about it, no worries.

deguerra
    Saruman the White
    Chief of the White Council, Lord of Isengard, Protector of Dunland

characters take an in-game turn to recruit and there are still a few more battles to be fought this turn so you should have one soon.

Oh and great stuff on the battle of Bern, it's gonna be hard RPing how Dieter will take this.

Have him chase Luther

Part 1 and 2 of the story are up. Part 3 and 4 (quite a bit shorter) to follow in a few minutes.

[edit]
    All parts are up.
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 11-18-2007 at 13:34.

Regarding Elberhard's post in the IMS: it is very much an in character thing. He has the grand total of 2 authority, so if players want to ignore it and continue fighting, be my guest. OOC I will help implement such PvP battles as before. Elberhard will not be happy, though.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast