Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperial Diet VII

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default Imperial Diet VII

[OOC] This thread is for players in the King of the Romans PBM to post in character public deliberations in the Imperial Diet. All out of character debate should be conducted in the OOC thread.

Full sessions of the Diet have two main functions: to elect a Chancellor, who manage the Empire, and to pass Edicts or Charter Amendments that will direct the Chancellor.

The Diet will be chaired by the Kaiser, the Prinz or the Diet Speaker.

Edicts need to be formally proposed as follows:

Edict 14.1 This House directs the Chancellor to occupy province X.

where 14.1 refers to the first proposed edict of the eleventh session of the Diet.

Edicts need two seconders (who should explicitly use the word "second" when supporting a motion) before they can be put to the vote. Where edicts conflict, the one with more votes takes precedence.

Elberhard: Electors, we meet together at a new Diet for the first time in many a year. And, by God, those years have been @#$%^&!!! @#$%^&!!!ing sons born of @#$%^&!!! @#$%^&!!!ing mothers.

We meet together in Nuremburg, historic capitol of Bavaria, not of the Reich. The Reich’s ancient and proper capitol lies a shattered and ruined city under the oppressive rule of the Byzantines. The great urban populations of Rome, along with those of Antioch, Bologna and Venice have been mercilessly exterminated – man, woman and child – by the Greeks.

We meet together to govern a diminished Reich, with less than half the number of provinces it spanned at its height. Each House has been humbled and beaten down. Outremer is no more than a Citadel, alone and defiant.

We meet together battered, but still the most powerful nation on God’s earth. However, our power attracts few friends and many enemies. The great nation of England, home of our Empress, still stands by us. The Papacy also stands with us, although its opinion of us is sorely tried by the blasphemy and destruction of the religious extremists who have plagued our lands. So, we have few friends. But our foes are legion. We struggle to fend off multiple invasions. – not just from the Byzantines, but also the French, the Danes, the Poles, the Hungarians, the Venetians and the Sicilians. The @#$%^&!!!ing Mohammadens would like to get a piece of us, but complain they can’t get through the crowds of our Christian foes hammering at the gates of our Citadels!

We meet together, each and every Elector of the Reich. But there are empty chairs in the debating chamber. The seat at my right – the seat of the Reich’s greatest general, one of its most successful Chancellors, the late Duke of Swabia and Hans, is vacant. My brother was cut down – like Kaiser Siegfried - not by a foreign invader, but by one of our own! By one of our own! Think on this, Electors – most of those Electors who have died during the past cataclysm have not died at the hands of outsiders, but at the hands of Germans. They were not killed by strangers, but by brothers. We killed them. I have sworn to Duke Lothar that I will let the past be the past, so I will not dwell on this. But the lesson is stark – we are the greatest nation on earth and there is no greater threat to us than that which comes from within.

Electors, we meet in trying times but we do meet. We are here. We are back – together. We have an opportunity to plan, to unite and to turn the tide. Our enemies come on at us without imagination, strategy or guile. We must elect a Chancellor who can outthink and outfight our enemies. One who can restore and deploy the great resources of the Reich – above all, the many talents of our generals.

We also meet to pass legislation. But I urge you not to succumb to the temptation to promote petty individual ambitions and seek personal glory. Nor should you scheme to promote the interests of one House above the others. Worse still would be attempts to fundamentally change our Charter. Electors now is not the time for Constitutional Reform! Now is a time of crisis, a time for action – we cannot afford to fritter away our energies on the work of lawyers and any reconstruction we attempt in haste under the present duress will surely be botched. If we pass legislation, let it be focussed, enabling legislation – Edicts that allow the Chancellor to do what must be done for the good of the Reich.

And so, with those opening remarks, I now declare the 14th full session of the Diet open. There will be a five day period of debate. The deadline for Edicts and Charter Amendments to receive two seconders is 3.30pm Wednesday (UK time). All candidates for the position of Chancellor must declare themselves by that time and have proposed manifestoes here. There will then be a 24 hour period of voting.

I would like to begin the business of the Diet by proposing:

Charter Amendment 14.1: Antwerp is formally incorporated into the Reich.

The disastrous civil war in Swabia has greatly weakened our western flank, but it has brought one benefit – the city of Antwerp is now in German hands. It is a rich city and potentially protected from invasion by land Bruges and Hamburg. Unless CA 14.1 is passed, we will have to abandon it. Do I have two seconders?

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default Re: Imperial Diet VII

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Written by AussieGiant

Standing to address the Diet chamber, Duke Arnold is unusually attired in fine cloths rather than his traditional Obsidian Armour.

Covered from head to foot in predominately black, the Duke's coat of arms is embroidered on his black tunic, his Fathers sword hangs at his belt. For all intense and purposes he looks rather normal as apposed to his more intimidating self.

MY KAISER, PRINZ of the REALM, NOBLE LORDS!!!

The Duke's voice is as commanding and as near a physical force as always. The scribes and serving staff are rooted to the spot for some moments while his opening line seems to die slowly in the chamber.

Sweeping his gaze across the room the Duke can be seen smiling and seems in an expansive mood. He walks steadily onto the chamber floor, his spur shod riding boots chinking in a steady rhythm.

Regarding the position of Chancellor...recently I've placed great thought on the matter after being cooped up in Ragusa for some years.

There is a pause of some moments as he seems to contemplate a few thoughts.

I believe I am the perfect candidate at this time, therefore I am formally announcing my candidacy for the position!!

Silence is the immediate response.

Into that silence can be heard a clear but almost inaudible response from the Dukes Priest sitting some distance at the back of the Austrian benches.

My god have mercy on us all.

A raised eyebrow is all the response the Duke gives away.

Now, I know some of you might have reservations about me and my reputation, certainly my own Priest's comments maybe the first thought that has come to many of your minds, and I can't say that I am displeased with that type of response.

Because it is that very response, doubt and terror, that we must instill in our enemies, that I will certainly inflict on them as Chancellor.

We have been weakened, critically so, and like vultures circling a wounded lion our enemies have only blood and victory on their minds.

What I can guarantee, without a shadow of doubt, is that with my election to the position of Chancellor every King, Prince, Doge and Sultan on this earth with take stock for just a few moments before continuing their war against us, and it is in these moments that we will hold our lines then strike back and begin the rebuilding and reconquest of our LANDS!!!!

Striding purposefully across the Diet floor the Dread Knight Bane hands his Duke a parchment. Clapping his hands on the Dark Knights shoulder they confer for a few moments. As the fully helmed and armoured figure returns to the Austrian benches the Duke turns to address the assembly.

Without going into too much detail here are my credentials and strategy.

Reading now from the parchment the Duke continues.

I've marshaled the Eastern Front in what I would arguably say was a text book “Fighting Retreat” against enormous odds.

Raising his hand to indicate the Lord of Austria in attendance.

I'd like to personally pay tribute to my most senior noble and friend Lord Zirn. He actions and bravery were legend to me and I had only heard about them in letters from my sister...he is everything and more she has ever written.

Lorenz Zirn, as crazed a man as I've ever met, loyal to the end and always looking for a fight. He has all the qualities I could ask for!

Count Karolinger and Sir Tancred.

The Duke scans the Bavarian and Franconia benches before making eye contact with them both.

I've written to you both privately and as you know I've sent my heart felt thanks to your respective Dukes. In acknowledgment of your service to Austria I have had two head stones installed in the Austrian Chamber to forever engrave your contribution to the House.

I must also thank the Kaiser most recently for his assistance in Zagreb.

Finally my Lord Becker, who, even though we have had our differences managed to find common ground with me and resolve our issues without spilling German blood. His contribution to the defense of Austria was isolated but no less important to both the Houses of Franconia and Bavaria.

The Duke pauses, the memories of the crisis seem to linger in his eyes, clearly he has been greatly affected by the events that have unfolded. Finally he blinks away the memories and continues to read from the parchment.

I was the only senior noble NOT to get involved in that disastrous civil war in Swabia!!

I've been governing multiple provinces and men since I was a young man. The scale of the Empire is not beyond anything I have not done to date.

Essentially my lords the goals are clear and obvious.

Recover from the disastrous events of the past few years, restore the economy, and
    retake our lost territories.

The difficulties we face in returning to our previous standing in the world will be immense but I firmly believe I am supremely qualified and have a clear track record of diplomacy, governance and military success to draw on.

Looking up from the parchment the Duke lets it fall to the floor. Placing his hands behind his back he begins to walk slowly around the chamber floor.

I'm not going to promise anything at this time. The economy is beginning to reorganise itself and I have no doubt that the military must be reorganized. Combine this with the need to reconstruct an enormous number of destroyed buildings and I am simply not going to make economic promises that I have no ability to guarantee. This includes recruitment and reinforcement!

Again the Duke pauses.

Pacing across the floor he begins to absorb a sense of increased energy, there is a fierce feeling of intensity and drive emanating from him.

At last he stops, raising his head suddenly he seems to lock eyes with everyone present, giving the impression that he is talking directly to each noble in the chamber on a personal level.

As he begins to speak, his voice is so quite that even the scribes lean forward to catch the words he is saying.

I want to be very clear at this time. I'm taking a clear stance on the Cataclysm, the Swabian Civil War AND the War of Reformation...it's over, they are in the past and I'm not interested in discussing them or attaching blame. There is an enormous amount of work to be done and I will only engage and work with those of you who are focused on the future and the goals I have outlined. If you bring up the past with me, expect me to end that debate with the resolve and fire I am famous for.

I'm not a forgiving man nor am I someone who forgets and I'm not asking you to...but to do anything but focus our energies on the future will simply jeopardies our ability to recover...AND THAT...IS ALL...I AM INTERESTED IN!!

In a sudden and blinding move his fathers sword flashes before the Diet chamber, arcs for a split second over his head and with enormous strength cleaves the Imperial Scribes desk in two pieces. Both scribes proceed to faint completely unharmed in their seats.

This type of action needs to be directed at our enemies and not against each other. If anyone is not with us then as Chancellor I will ensure anyone's...”alternative” approach to rebuilding will look something like the desk here in front of me.

Reaching into his pocket the Duke proceeds to flip and coin clear across the Diet floor to a page boy.

Be a good lad and get the Imperial Carpenter to replace this mess will you.

Swinging back towards the chamber the naked blade of his father sword reflecting in the light, Duke's smiling face seems at odds with the violence of only a few moments ago.

The glittering threat of violence in his eyes is unmistakable and makes the next sentence sound more of a warning than anything else said before.

We must be united my Lords!! It's clear in my mind, it is the right thing to do, and it's the only OPTION we have in our present circumstances.

Elect me Chancellor, and I will lead the Reich forward to rebirth, to reconstruction and to revenge!

With that the Duke sheaths his sword and returns to his seat. Upon finally taking a seat he leans forward in his chair for one last comment.

I look forward to discussing any details with you all. I now open the floor to any other candidate or questions.

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

A young man, visibly French from his garments and complexion, makes his entry in the Diet. His tabard is travel-worn but through the dust a red cross can be seen on a field of once-pure white. Following close, behind him, a grizzled man in armour and wearing the same travel-worn tabard is bearing the young Lord's helm. He looks somewhat lost but eager and goes to take a seat on the benches reserved to Swabian Electors.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

Dieter von Essen:

A young man enters the Diet. It is clear that he is awed by it's awesomeness. He makes his way to the center. While attempting to show courage, it is clear that he is uneasy. Once at the center, he summons the conviction to speak without letting his voice shake too much.

Noblemen of the Reich! I am here to officially present myself before this august body. My name is Dieter von Essen and I have just married Count Zirn's eldest daughter. I am here to serve the Reich and Austria in these trying times. I will now officially swear fealty to the Kaiser and Duke Arnold.

Dieter walks up to the Kaiser's throne and kneels.

Mein Kaiser, I present myself to you as a noble of the Reich. May you use me as a humble servant to smite our enemies. God bless you and God bless the Reich!

Dieter then stands up and walks to the Austrian benches. He kneels before Duke Arnold.

Mein Duke, I present myself to you as an Austrian noble. May you use me as a humble servant to smite Austria's enemies. God bless you and God bless House Austria!

Dieter stands up, walks to the Austrian benches and stands before his new father-in-law.

Count Zirn, thank you again for giving me your daughter's hand in marriage. I hope I make you proud and do justice to the Zirn name.

Finally, Dieter sits in an Austrian seat and watches the proceedings with anticipation and excitement.

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

The young Templar Lord rises from the benches of Swabia and reaches the center of the chamber.
    Clearing his throat, he starts speaking in a soft but commanding voice.

Mes Seigneurs, pardon my poor command of your language but I was until now a Franc by name and heart but things have changed in my country and I have been forced to seek shelter somewhere else and where better than in the Empire.
    I shall be known in these walls by the name Hugo von Holland.
    Please do not ask questions if you think that name sounds strange, somethings are better left unsaid.

Falling with a knee to the ground, and head bowed, he continues.

Mon Empereur, I wish to express my most heartfelt thanks for the offer you made me and for accepting me among your Lords.
    I did not expect such a welcome from our long-time enemies.

Mon Duc, I also wish to express my thanks for accepting me in the House of Swabia, thus allowing me to regain one day what is now lost to me, or at least have revenge for the wrongs done on me and mine.

To show my gratitude to you my Emperor, let me be the first to second your Edict.

The young Lord then walks back to the Swabian benches, getting a smile and a nod from the grizzled old warrior standing behind his bench.

[EDIT] : I had forgotten the name part...
    Last edited by _Tristan_; 12-14-2007 at 18:03.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Ruppels sifts somewhat lost through all those papers and stops for a mere moment to speak before he returns to his read

I second the emperor's charter amendment
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Matthias enters the Diet looking tired and travel worn, almost as if he has come fresh from a battle. He kneels before the Kaiser and then rises to speak to the Chamber.

My lords, it is good to be back. I had forgotten what it was like to have all of us in one place.

Matthias pauses as if a bit overwhelmed.

I, with the assistance of Sir Andreas von Salzgitter, have stemmed the Greek advance in Outremer. Their forces, which had been driving on Acre, have been thrown back. This has allowed me to attend this session personally.

While the Kaiser has wisely spoken about refraining from changing the Charter, I am afraid that the new situation in Outremer is something Kaiser Henry never envisioned when he authored the Charter of Outremer. A new Charter is needed to cope with these difficult times.

Believe me, I'd rather be driving the Greeks into the sea than proposing law, but is necessary.

Therefore I would like to propose:

Charter Amendment 14.2: A new Charter for Outremer is to be adopted, what is proposed below will completely replace all previous legislation relating to the Kingdom (Changes are in bold).

The Revised Charter of the Kingdom of Outremer

1. The Kingdom of Outremer will consist of Antioch, Acre and Adana as its core territories, they cannot be given or bartered away. If they are lost, they must be reclaimed as quickly as possible. The Kingdom may also include up to three more territories, with preference given to Aleppo, Damascus and Edessa. However, no conquest is allowed of any territories belonging to an ally.

2. The Kingdom of Outremer is an integral part of the Reich. It is not a fifth House.

3. The function of the Kingdom is mainly defensive: to safeguard Jerusalem and protect the gateway to Christendom. However, conquest is permitted against heathens and schismatics as long as it does not endanger the defense of Jerusalem. If a Pope assumes power who excommunicates the Reich, Jerusalem may be taken, if needed, as part of his removal, but it must be immediately donated back to the Church upon reconciliation.

4. The Kingdom will be overseen by a Viceroy of Outremer, who will be selected by the Emperor from among the current Crusaders. A Viceroy is appointed by the Emperor at each regular Diet Session. Viceroys may be reappointed. The Viceroy will renounce all loyalties to his House for the duration of his appointment. The Viceroy of Outremer is permitted to resign, if the Emperor is willing to accept the resignation, upon which a new Viceroy is appointed by the Emperor. If the Viceroy of Outremer is deemed incapable of his assignment, he may be impeached by the Emperor and two Dukes, by the Prince and three Dukes, or by the agreement of all four Dukes. Upon removal, the Emperor will appoint a new Viceroy.

5. The Viceroy will command an Army, equivalent to a Household Army with the Viceroy assuming the role of “Duke”. If the Kingdom is larger than or equal to three territories, a second such Army will be placed at his disposal. He may delegate the day to day command of the Army or Armies to other Generals.

6. Outremer’s provinces will be governed by Crusader Counts, except for the designated capital, which is the personal domain of the Viceroy. The Crusader Counts are appointed by the Viceroy and serve at his discretion. They will gain +1 influence, but only if they are not already a Count in their Duchy, and only for the duration of their appointment. The cap of 6 influence for all but the Emperor remains. If any County is left unassigned, the Viceroy will set the build queue for it.

7. Both the Viceroy and the Crusading Counts must be physically located outside Europe for the duration of their appointments.

8. All four Houses of the Reich have a stake in the Kingdom. While the loss of many of the original Outremer Counties currently negates apportionment by House, assignment of Counties will ensure that each Duchy is represented by a Crusader Count if one is present. All efforts will be made to assign a Swabian to Acre and a Bavarian to Adana. Once there are two newly acquired territories, they will be governed by representatives of Franconia and Austria. While historical precedents will be respected, priority will be given to Crusaders who are in Outremer.

9. The Viceroy of Outremer is allowed to propose two pieces of legislation per Diet Session related to Outremer. Prior to being tabled in the Diet, these must be seconded by two Crusaders, or if there is less than two Crusaders, one will suffice.

OOC: The Viceroy will have +2 influence as presently given to the King. All references in the Reich's Charter to the King of Outremer are to be changed to the Viceroy of Outremer.

Matthias pauses after reading the amendment.

I realize that the Kingdom now only consists of Acre, and that this proposal seems a bit odd considering the circumstances. But I swear that Outremer will be rebuilt, and to do so will require a strong foundation. This Charter provides that.

I would be glad to answer any questions about the Charter.

Matthias seats himself at the edge of the Bavarian section.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 12-14-2007 at 18:47.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

I second CA 14.2

Dieter von Essen stands,

Count Matthias,

I hereby second CA 14.2.

With Duke Arnold's permission and blessing, I wish to be reassigned to Outremer as soon as is practical in order to serve as Austria's representative in the Holy Land. My new bride has told me many tales of her life growing up in Damascus and it is my wish that Damascus once again come under the loving protective embrace of the Reich.

Dieter sits
    Last edited by Privateerkev; 12-14-2007 at 20:36.

Duke of Nicosia

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

I would urge that all members of the Diet take the words of Matthias Steffen to heart. Outremer is the key to the eventual defeat of the foul Byzantines, the very source of much of our latest difficulties. Despite being utterly abandoned by his companions, including his Kaiser, Matthias Steffen has, with vision and forethought, made the best of a terrible situation. Ask yourselves this, gentlemen, if we should abandon the homelands of Jesus to the Muslim and Orthodox hordes what wrath might fall upon the Holy Roman Empire from the heavens?

Matthias Steffen's amendment should be passed without pointless bickering from those of us hundreds of leagues distant from the situation.

I would further ask, of the Kaiser, is it really necessary to have two edicts to incorporate Antwerp into Swabia? Simply tie the two together in a single edict and it will have my support. Otherwise one must ask what exactly it is you intend to do with the city.

Hugo von Holland stands from the Swabian benches and clears his throat.

King Steffen,

I have fought many battles against the Muslims from my Temple chapter house in the Levant.

If you would have me, I would gladly join you in the defense of Outremer.
    Guillaume, that you can see behind me, will also come with me as well as my own retainers, Templar brothers all.
    My sword is yours to command.

I hereby second CA 14.2.

France is too near for my own good at the moment... Too many memories...

Hugo sits back down, a sad and faraway look upon his face.

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Fritz von Kastilien sweeps a sheaf of papers into a battered leather case, rises to his feet and raises his voice above the low rumble of varied discussion.

I stand now to announce my own candidacy for the position of Chancellor of the Reich.

While the lordly Duke Arnold has preceeded me in listing his admirable qualities, he has, as is his wont, settled rather single mindedly on a single possible course of action. 'Strike our enemies, drive fear into their hearts, and conquer them!' Very well said, one cannot help but concur and even cheer such a course.

And yet... if the cataclysmic events of the last few years have taught us anything, it should be that our enemies do not fear us, our armies are not immune to defeat, and our own decisions are sometimes more threatening than any external opponent. The Dread Duke is a fearsome and valiant warrior for the Reich, but his approach to the other aspects of governance reveal that his penchant for force extends well beyond the battlefield.

Here Fritz pauses to gesture gently at the broken remnants of the scribe's desk.

What the Reich needs in truth is a not merely a man who inspires fear in his friends and enemies alike, but a man whose experiences and characteristics mirror those of the Reich itself.

A man like me.

Again Fritz pauses to look across the chamber, well aware of a few discreet snickers and coughs.

Yes, like me, a man who has demonstrated valor in the field and at the walls.

A man who has conducted difficult negotiations with a dedicated foe, and brought home a ceasefire.

A man who has managed to remain devoutly faithful in a trying religious time, who has held steadfast his loyalty even in the face of horrific errors by the leadership of his nation, and who has made great sacrifices for the good of his House and his Empire.

Again Fritz pauses, just long enough to meet the Kaiser's gaze.

A man, too, who has erred, whose own mistakes have cost him personally just as the mistakes of the leadership of the Reich have had terrible consequences for us all.

I am that man who has suffered with the Reich, who has been wrong as has the Reich, and I am the man who has sought out the reasoning of his error and redeemed it in sacrifice.

Now Fritz's gaze travels across the entire room, quickly seeking out every noble and man of consequence.

Just as we of the Reich must all redeem ourselves.

It is early to speak of policy, but let me be clear that we will not retreat. Where Germans have planted our flag, there will the line be drawn. If any of us falter at the line let another arise to take his place. If any of us rebel, let every hand be raised against him and every face turned from him. Now is the time for solidarity. Now is the time for our return to glory and the path of righteousness. Now is the time for victory!

God be with you, nobles of the Reich!

Fritz returns to his seat, his face dark but unreadable.

Hugo von Holland stands again and bows to Matthias Steffen, looking a bit flustered.

Lord Steffen, some people have made me remark that I shouldn't have called you King.
    I hereby wish to present my excuses to any people who saw any malice in this.
    Nevertheless, out of respect for the Lord I hope to serve, and in the light of the Charter Amendment you proposed, let me call you Viceroy.

So Viceroy Steffen, command me and I shall obey...

Hugo sits back down, with a look of assurance about him.

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Another young man enters the Council chamber. He is somewhat above average size, with wide shoulders and a square jaw. He is wearing a traveler's cloak, a tabard with a crusading symbol, and chainmail armor, as well as the dust of a long travel. He moves to take a seat in the Outremer section by Matthias Steffen. Before he sits, he nods to Hugo and Dieter von Essen.

Hello gentlemen. I hope to fight by you in Outremer someday. It is a difficult situation, but quite satisfying to serve the Lord in such a way.
    Last edited by Zim; 12-14-2007 at 22:27.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

I fully support My Brother-in-Law's ideas about the outremer, Our mission as the HRE is to protect the church from threats within, and without. This legislation gives us the legal tools we need to enforce God's will in the holy land.
    Last edited by Stuperman; 12-14-2007 at 22:23.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Dieter sits in silent awe as the Crusader nods at him. To him, these men are giants. Larger than life. He nervously nods back.

Duke of Nicosia

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Duke von Salza enters and takes his place at the Swabian bench, the place is different to Rome, but he soon takes it in his stride.

I have guaranteed my support, so I second CA 14.2.

I hear the Kaiser's call for past differences forgotten, so I willhave to, though with extreme difficulty...

Athalwolf glares at the bavarian bench.

While I congratulate the two men already putting themselves forward for such a difficult job, I wish to question their motives. Both men seem to have a, war like past, as Chancellor, would you rule the Reich through war? And would you take enough in to also control the government side of things?

I am assured, and reassured, that you would rule us greatly with military, but with resources...

Duke von Salza sits, and awaits a long answer.

Fredericus summons a paige, hands him a hastly scribbled note, and sends him towards the Swabian Deligation
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

Ha, I see we have two strong candidates for Chancellor this term. I would vote for my friend Arnold, or my brother Fritz, on the basis of the spoils system. Of course, in times like these and in all others, the spoils system is complete and absolute folly. The Chancellor should be elected on the basis of merit. Perhaps a debate is in order to determine who is best suited to the position?
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

Duke von Salza I would hope that my negotiation of a ceasefire with the Russians and my gathering of overwhelming support for the Anti-Unification proclamation have proved that I have skills and experience beyond the battlefield. I concede that Duke Arnold has run a larger territory than I, but given the nature of Franconian politics in my lifetime I would hardly say he has managed a more complex set of circumstances than I.

Management of a nation's resources is not within the experience of any of the current candidates, so I claim to be as qualified as any.

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

Tell me brother, and Duke Arnold, what will you do to bring the finances of the Reich into the black once again?

And trust me, my inquisitive attitude is not questioning your merit or the Duke's. Both of you seem very strong candidates and great warriors, but who shall garner the support of the masses?
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

By selling Greek slaves perhaps? what else would they be good for, I tried strapping a few to my plow, but 8 of those wastes-of-food couldn't do as well a single German Ox.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

While Count Fritz has more experience dealing with foreign powers, it is Duke Arnold who has the better record of dealing with his fellow electors. I know from first-hand experience that he is quite capable of negotiating with any and all parties of the Reich with an even-handed but stern attitude.

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

The eldest member of the chamber rises and slowly makes his way to the floor from the Austrian benches. He acknowledges familiar faces on his way to the floor but there are also a lot of fresh new faces. This was becoming the new Reich.

My Kaiser, Electors, it feels good to be in a chamber and to discuss the business of the Reich. It has been a long time since we have gathered and though it is not Rome this building and city serves the purpose that is on hand. I have seen much in my years and it is good to see things come full circle and the stage of rebirth.

We have come through some dark times and there are very few here to remember how it all started. Let us take a moment and remember those brave nobles who are no longer with us……..

I am not here to talk about the past those are tales to be told elsewhere. I am here to talk about the future one that I will not see.

I am here to announce publicly my support for Duke Arnold. Why? It is his time. I have watched this boy become a man and mature into a statesman. Just think of the situation in Prague. His father Leopold was a fine Chancellor for us and it’s now it is his sons turn. I don’t support him because he is Austrian and family. No I support him because of his ability to manage in a crisis. Just look at how Austria had faced adversity and remained united. We need a man who will lead us through the difficult situation we found ourselves. We are not out of the woods yet. There are armies at our borders and cities. We have to fight to get some breathing room. Rebuild our infrastructure and then seek our vengeance one step at a time. Reclaim what is rightful ours and punish those that took advantage of us in a weak moment. Duke Arnold is our man to lead us in this time of renewal.

Noble Matthias Steffen, comrade warrior, a man of principles. He needs our help. I have spent my whole live in the Outremer defending the faith, recapturing the Holy City of Jerusalem in the Second Crusade from the heathens that occupied it. It is our duty to protect that city and what it represents. This Diet should not be bickering when and if and how much. We should be saying now, who and at all cost. I must caution those that think they are for the call to serve. It is a long and laborious journey, you may not return. You are taking on a special mission to serve God and the Kaiser to protect the faith. It takes a special individual. It was only God’s work that I left and ended up having to defend my own lands and if I could I would be leading the call back to the Outremer and assist Count Steffen.

Nobles, we have a lot of work to do lets focus on electing the right man for Chancellor answering the call of God and rebuilding this great nation. I pass the torch on to this generation to carry it proudly and let be your guiding light to correct the wrongs that have been done and make the Reich greater then it has very been.

The old man bows towards the Kaiser and slowly makes his way back to his seat.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

If I may, my lords, what are your policies towards Outremer? It is in a difficult position, and it would take a strong Chancelor to improve it's situation.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

I am pledging my support to Fritz, despite the many disagreements we have had. I do not see how you can say that Arnold handled the Prague incident well, after failing to have enough men to attack, as he wanted, he was forced to simply accpet the insult to his rule and lose a County. Does the fact that Becker rebelled in the first place not suggest that Arnold's politics are not as efficient as you seem to think Karl? Perhaps your age has blinded your judgement.

Fritz, on the other hand, has made an entire nation of bitter enemies of the Reich bow to our knees in peace! The Russians were set on revenge and no man other than Fritz could have stopped their tides of warriors with his skills in the art of Politics. As for finaces I see Fritz as the superior in this area as well, not many can field an entire army of treasure hungry mercenaries and fund the lot from his own success!

Fritz is also far more helpful to other members of the Reich. He has benefited the entire House of Franconia and saved it from destruction many times, thus blocking the path for three of the Reich's greatest enemies into the rest of our Empire. Arnold has barely managed to hold on to his castle and made no attempt to help his fellow electors of Austria when almost of all the Counties there were threatened. No Karl, Fritz is the man to lead us to glory, greater glory than ever before!

A man walks into the Diet, staring at the assembly of great, established noblemen around him as he walks somewhat awkwardly in the general direction of the Bavarian section with an scribe following him looking very nervous as well. Trying not to be too noticeable, he takes a seat in the Bavarian section, nodding at Matthias Steffen, clearly intimidated by the great Crusader. He sits down, hoping he will be assumed to be a new Bavarian elector and that he need not summon the sbility of speech to introduce himself.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My reasons had nothing to do with Duke Arnold's abilities as a leader. More importantly, the resolution of that situation came about because Duke Arnold was smart enough to want to avoid a repeat of the tragedy at Bran, as well as patient enough to continue negotiations until both parties were able to get what they wanted.

If anyone else besides Arnold had been Duke of Austria during the cataclysm, more German lives would have been wasted in fratricidal conflict and/or I would be before you putting forth a charter amendment recognizing the succession of Bohemia.

Maximilian von Hapsburg rises to his feet.

Before I put forward mein edict, I must declare mein support for Arnold Salian, Duke of Austria, for Chancellor.

I now propose Charter Ammendment 14.3: "The Kaiser is granted authority to strip a Duke of his Duchy if a majority of electors of that House agrees."

Electors, we must not blame the current Kaiser for the woes of the last 40 years. It is true that he continued his predecessors policy of pursuing unification on religion with the Greeks. However, this was Kaiser Siegfried's policy, not Kaiser Elberhard's. Kaiser Elberhard's hands were tied. If he pulled out of the negotiations, then the Greeks would have a just causus belli against us. Doubtless, what was left of our already pathetic reputation would be shattered, and we would find even our allies, the English, joining the fray against us.

Nein, the greater blame must be attached to the Houses during this period of disaster. Electors hadn't enough respect for the authority of the Kaiser, that nothing held them back from rebelling from their Dukes.

I would fain propose another edict, but, alas, Diet procedure forbids me from doing so. Nevertheless, I will state what I think.

We must redistribute provinces in the Reich. Had we not such stark geograpical divisions amongst the Houses, then no rebellion would ever succeed. How would Herr Hummel have fared if Bruges had belogned to Bavaria? Or if Metz belonged to Franconia? We must overcome past sentiments and rebuild the Reich.

Maximilian begins to sit down, but hastily regains his feet.

And I also second Charter Ammendment 14.1.
    Last edited by econ21; 12-15-2007 at 00:52.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

To address young Dieter's remarks.
    I thank you Edmund for your input. I am not disputing Fritz's ability has a general he absolutely saved the Franconia House from collapsing with the enemies at the gates and internal strife. You know nothing of Duke Arnold's ability to support his nobles with the best troops. He defended the citadel in order for us to gain professional troops to continue the fight. He shared his wealth. He may not have been at all fighting but he was there for support. Without his leadership their would be no Austria!!
    He lead through diplomacy with Edmund in Prague. It was not about having sufficient men it was about priorities. He also stayed out of the Swabian ordeal.

Andreas your question the plan of the Outremer is in the documentation of this Diet. The goal is protecting Jerusalem and we learned the hard way. Duke Arnold is the one to get us back on footing in the Outremer.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast