Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The history of Baktria: an AAR

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default The history of Baktria: an AAR

ok, heres my first AAR.....
    it will be a somewhat general AAR, and i will only cover the large battles, and just skim the small ones (display the outcome). it will be updated in small amounts, since i dont have much time for playing.... feedback is welcomed!
    so here goes.......

Chapter 1- Beginnings
    Welcome child, what is it that you seek?
    Ah, you want to know the history of our glorious nation? Let me get my scrolls….
    Well, come in, take something to eat and sit down- this may take a while.

A long time ago, there was a man named Alexander the Great. He conquered from Greece all the way to the Indies. When he died, his empire split up into many smaller empires. That’s where we come from, along from elsewhere. For many years, we were a small nation- just 3 large towns and just 3 provinces.

We were at the heel of one of his successor’s empires, the evil Arche Seleukia. Not much happened until the summer of 272 BC….
    We got a savior- the ambitious Theodotos Baktrios.

He pledged to rid Baktria of the grip of the Arche Seleukia. He promised us that under his watch, and his descendants watch, Baktria would become a great empire!

He started to raise an army- but not to attack Arche Seleukia – we were too weak to do that! - But to attack those dammed Persians to the west of us. They were always a threat, but Theodotos would try to eradicate them from the earth before it was too late, and they would be a threat no more.
    Our army was weak, and vulnerable, and we did not have many funds to pay for one, but we established alliances with our soon-to-be enemies, so we got some money.
    The army wasn’t large, and we will soon be raising another one to back up our main army from the Arche Seleukia and the Persian horde.
    Then, in 271 BC, we got word that our Greek allies in the west, the Koinon Hellenon, decided to break alliance with us, because of our support of Pontos, their sworn enemies. But our leader did not pay heed- they dwell far away, and are of not concern right now- but they both will feel the wrath of Baktria in the end!
    In summer 270 BC, 2 years after he got in power, Theodotos leaves our capital, Baktra, under the command his son, Diodotos Baktrios.

Theodotos Baktrios turns his army, which isn’t very large, towards some wayward rebels in the south, with the inept, but older and blooded, general Patrokles Marakandaios, hoping to turn Patrokles into a suitable general to lead his second army into Persia, while the second army was being trained. What would happen, nobody would know.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-27-2007 at 02:45.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Default Re: The history of Baktria: an AAR

a decent start, now write some more i want to see where this goes

Chapter 2- First Blood

The Battle of Margiana Hills- Fall 270 BC

Our leader, Theodotos Baktrios, along with Patrokles, encounter some wayward Persian rebels near a bridge crossing, in the hills of Margiana, which was then belonging to the Arche Selukia .

Our leader told his Peltastai to engage the rebels first.

When they withdrew, the archers came in, firing on the rebels. When they were out, the phalanxes advanced, and the Indo-Iranian Light Cavalry rushed to put pressure on the enemy.

Unfortunately, they got bogged down in the Persian spears while trying to retreat to make another charge, and many were lost. The same happened to the Successor Medium Cavalry.
    But in the end, those Persian rebels were running from our army, as usual.

The performance of our army after the Battle of Margiana Hills was mediocre. Military analysts say we should have sustained only a few casualties, but what happened had happened, and there is no changing that. We could only pray that we did better next time.

In summer 269, disaster struck. A massive earthquake in Baktria killed 3,646 citizens of Baktra, and damaging many buildings, but luckily the heir to the throne wasn’t harmed.
    But what was worse, an army which was assembling in that area, over 1,500 trained men, was reduced to a little over 150 soldiers. Thank the gods that no generals were in that army, and our leader was in the province over, so he and his army were unharmed.

And what was more, in that same season, the province of Margiana, which used to be Arche Seleukia territory, rebelled, and Theodotos Baktrios is deciding whether to take that province, or march on Nisa, the Persian capital. It would be a hard decision- capture a city which may invoke the wrath of the Arche Seluekia, or take a city and definitely invoke the wrath of the Persians?

What will become in the coming years was prayed that they wouldn’t be as harmful as the summer of 269.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-17-2007 at 16:26.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

I like it. Please continue.
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

of course- i have a half-day of school today and wendsday......
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

disclaimer: i have never fought against an enemy with such abundance of archers, so if casualties are unusually high, so now you know why......
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The Persian-Baktrian War- Part 1

The Battle for Nisa- Fall, 268 BC

Our leader decided to turn his army towards Nisa, the Persian capital. This would be the start of the Persian–Baktrian War.

Seeing that the enemy had many horse archers, Theodotos Baktrios decided to send in his own horse archers and horse skirmishers. Unbeknownst to us, the Persians had long range bows, so they inflicted some casualties on us which should have been avoided.

He then sent in his Pantodapoi Phalangitai, or Hellenic Native Phalanx, to block off the entrance to the city with their spears. Big mistake. As the Pantodapoi Phalangitai were reforming to block it off, the Persian heavy cavalry bodyguards charged, inflicting very heavy casualties. They would have broken if it wasn’t for a heroic charge by Theodotos Baktrios and his bodyguards, along with a unit of Indo-Iranian Light Cavalry and some Median Medium Cavalry. What resulted was a huge cavalry melee.

They were joined by some archers giving them support, and some Thureophoroi.
    But the turning point was when Successor Medium Cavalry went around and hit the Persians from the back- hard.
    Finally, every Persian was dead- along with their faction leader and their faction heir.

Now Theodotos Baktrios and his army are recuperating, and contemplating his next move. Take another Persian city, or link up the provinces with the homeland?
    Would the Persians throw everything they had against Theodotos Baktrios? Or would they sit back and let Theodotos Baktrios take over, or beg for peace?
    No one knew the answer, but everyone knew it would come soon.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

wow, you had an earthquake that killed over a thousand soldiers? rough man, rough. i love seeing all these new units (and the new FM) in your posts, too!
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Hooray for geographically correct earthquakes rendering awesome damage!!

hilarious- it cost me soooooo dearly!!!!!
    lol!
    anyhow, ill be updating it soon again..... =)
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The Persian-Baktrian War- Part 2

The Battle for Khiva- Summer 267 BC

Our leader makes a bold move towards the new Persian capital, Khiva. It is defended by a few withered down Persian armored horse archers, along with some heavy cataphracts.

To Theodotos Baktrios’s surprise, the Persians charged, offering open battle, so he immediately sent his Thureophoroi to the front and told his Persian archer spearmen to get their spears ready. Needless to say, they repulsed the attack with some ease.

At one point in the battle, our left flank was dangerously exposed, and the Thureophoroi rushed forward to defend it- and just as the enemy were rounding the corner to attack us!

All who remained was some armored horse archers and the two enemy generals. Our cavalry charged, and after a long struggle, routed them- all but a couple of units of armored horse archers. Those units fought heroically, taking down many brave Baktrians, but it was hopeless for them to resist against our inevitable victory.

Of course, supporting our troops were hundreds of archers and horse archers. The battle wouldn’t have been won without them, and many were slain by Persian arrows.

Eventually, when there was only a few Persians left, the Baktrian Medium Cavalry pressed home, inflicting heavy casualties.

The Persians retreated, and made a gallant, but futile, last stand at their city center.

The city was captured, many Persians killed, along with another two members of Persian royalty. But our army suffered horribly. We lost many to the cataphracts and to enemy arrows. Nevertheless, we were victorious all the same, and that is what counts.

Now where would Theodotos Baktrios go next? On to the rebel city in the east (from Khiva), or go north to eradicate the Persians once and for all? But for now, the army would be recuperating and being brought back to full strength for the next battle.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

breaking news!!!!!!!!

we have found an Arche Seleukia spy in our capital, and executed him!
    Could this mean war in a short time? Or something much worse?
    Our leader has withdrawn all of our main forces to the border, and leaves a substantial garrison in Khiva.
    The nation is holding their breath- with the "Grey Death" be upon us?
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-17-2007 at 16:28.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

btw, i changed my avatar to mirror my faction leaders portriat. ;-)
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

That's a great AAR I am reading... WELL DONE!

Nice to see the Kambojas at work (That would be the IndoIranian Light cav).
    Hippotoxotai are right up there. I hope that AS doesn't attack, but if they do...

Stone forts, Lots of sphendonetai on its walls, sally each turn with them on the ramparts, watch the enemy number dwindle then after they run out of ammo, either sally or end the battle. You will be awarded a draw, but with a big part of the enemy slain, it really is a victory. Rinse and repeat until AS will either flee or be destroyed by your forces.

Just make sure that your border cities with AS have stonewalls, and plenty of sphendonetai/anatolian slingers in them.

When you have enough money to assault them, use hippotoxotai, and a lot of them. They shoot very far and their armor (both on the horse and on themselves ) means they are no slouches when it comes close and personal. They may be expensive but they are well worth it.

Build mines on Kophen, and Taxila. They bring in a lot of money.

Taxilan agema (the heavy IndoIranian horsemen) is also ONLY recruited on Taxila, so bear that in mind. Those guys are wild. First they pepper the enemy with spears, then they charge! Expensive but well worth it.

A lot of good things await a Baktrian player in India! But the no. 1 danger you must face are the Seleukeides. Only when you contain them in Messopotamia can you consider yourself safe from them.

BTW, it is great that you use Baktrioi hippeis and Kambojas. Historically Baktrians used them extensively. In fact some have suggested that the conquest of India is due to the big number of those horsemen in the Baktrian army.

A small explanation is in order... In bold the unit name used in game.

English------------------Greek transliterated--------Indian (Pali/Sanskrit)
    Baktrian horsemen-------Baktrioi hippeis-------------Bahlika asvaka
    IndoIranian horsemen----Kambusioi hippeis-----------Kamboja asvaka ksatriya
    (Kambojan horsemen)-----------------------------------------------Ksatriya (warrior caste figthing almost exclusively on horseback or chariot) because they are mentioned as such in Hindu texts.
    Last edited by keravnos; 10-18-2007 at 23:18.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Hey buddy,
    This is an excellent AAR ... Please continue :)

Prince
    Living life not by celebrating victories, but by overcoming defeats

sorry for the delay in posting another chapter, but ive so much in my life, its been hard to balance everything and still find time to play EB..... but there will be another chapter up soon.....
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

here it is..... the next chapter...... enjoy!
    (ya- i know its short......)

chapter 6- The end of the Persian-Baktrian War

After a year of tenseness on the Arche Seleukia-Bactrian border, we rested, for a year after we executed their spy who we caught in our capital, our spies have seen no activity for miles around in their territory, so it gave us some room to breathe and conclude some unfinished business.

Our leader, Theodotos Baktrios, decided to end this almost profitless war. He sent his diplomat, Dion Dionys, to the last Persian stronghold, Gava-Mazsakata. He tells Dion to offer the Persians peace and 5,000 mnai. The Persians refused. Meanwhile, Patrokles Marakandaios, under the orders of Theodotos Baktrios, gathers his army and starts towards Gava-Mazsakata. More diplomatic efforts fail, and finally, he tells Dion one last thing to offer the insolent Persians: peace- or die. The Persians refused one last time, and Patrokles Marakandaios marches his army towards Gava-Mazsakata in the spring of 266.

When Patrokles gets halfway there, he gets news from Khiva, where Theodotos Baktrios and his army were recuperating from the heavy losses they sustained while taking the city. Theodotos didn’t want more Baktrian blood spilled unnecessarily, so he wanted Patrokles to starve Gava-Mazsakata until they surrender. Our spies reported that the Persian capital could hold out for a year, so Patrokles made preparations. He reached, and besieged, the city in the summer of 265 BC. A year later, summer of 264, Gava-Mazsakata falls without resistance from those cowardly Persians.

Needless to say, we killed every Persian there, erasing the memory of them forever. With that, the Persians were eradicated, and the Persian-Baktrian War was brought to a successful conclusion.

With that, our leader turns his eyes towards the south, and starts preparations for a much harder conflict……
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-17-2007 at 16:30.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

oooh a Seleucio-Baktrian war

Yeah !!! Fight the machine ... :D

Prince
    Living life not by celebrating victories, but by overcoming defeats

sorry for the long delay in updating, but my life is very hectic as of now, so dont expect many updates until march, when wrestling season ends......
    anyhow, heres the next update! enjoy!

Chapter 6- Preparations
    Our leader, Theodotos Baktrios, decided to move south. Our treasury after the Persian-Baktrian War was stripped of cash, to pay for the men who heroically defeated them. Our spies reported of great mines in the south, which would undoubtedly bring us much wealth, in addition to the funds needed to fund our armies.

However, those mines were controlled by the Arche Seleukia, who, in all of their Seleukian selfishness, wouldn’t let us use even a square millimeter of it. So we had no choice- we must take it by force.

Spies to the south told us of the ability of the Arche Seleukia to send great armies against her foes, ultimately crushing them. We had no intention to be crushed, so we prepared, unlike the unlucky foes of the Arche Seleukia in times past.

First, we constructed walls of stone on every city which is in risk of attack. Then we lined the walls with a great multitude of slingers and archers.

Following, we began to train huge number of soldiers, to counter their large armies. The training began immediately as the decision was made. Countless men were drafted to possibly defend, and certainly enlarge, our great nation.

Finally, police patrolled the streets, looking for spies, for if word got out of what was going on, the plan was doomed, and so was our glorious nation.

The plan entailed for our leader and a few other generals to lead armies into the areas which the mines were in, and the other armies would secure our borders from possible Arche Seleukia attacks. We would strike hard and fast. Surprise was the key, and we would certainly take advantage of it.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-17-2007 at 16:32.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Great stuff, can't wait to see more!

The Galatian, AtB Member Member Admetos's Avatar

How did I miss this!?! Brilliant stuff hooahguy.

Support Asia ton Barbaron, the Eastern Mod for EB, on The Guild and TWC.
    Former barman at the EB Tavern.
    My balloons:

i am aiming to start the war during my winter break- starting dec. 21st. ill have lots of time then! ill need it.....
    thanks for your support!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Counter-Revolutionary Member BerkeleyBoi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy14
    i am aiming to start the war during my winter break- starting dec. 21st. ill have lots of time then! ill need it.....
    thanks for your support!
    Ah! December 21st is so far away! So no updates between now and then?

Well, good luck taking on the Gray Death! And hope you do better than I did against the Yellow Fever...

ill probably do a bit more, but i dont know if ill have the time- wrestling season is reaching its peak.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

ok, i lied -
    i found some time to do a bit more.....
    enjoy!

Chapter 7-The change in power

By the luck of the gods, Kophen, the site of one of two great mines and one of our targets, had rebelled and thrown off the yoke of Arche Seleukia rule in fall 254!

However, the rebels have thrown out the weak Arche Seleukia garrison too…..
    So we sent our best spy at the time, Kleander Alexandreias Oxianas, to find out who was in control of Kophen.

We found out it was under control of a very ambitious young general, Yazdaban.

Imploring further, we discovered a shocking fact:
    He commanded an army over 2,200 men strong, and of very good units- few of which we have never had to face before!

But what was most disturbing was the three Klerouchoi Phalangitai, or Hellenic Medium Phalanx, and the Peltastai Indohellenikoi, or Indo-Hellenic Medium Skirmishers. This meant that this enemy had Greek elements, whereas all our previous enemies were eastern. This made our enemy much more dangerous.

There was also a unit of the Taxilan Agema, or Indo-Iranian Heavy Cavalry. There have been stories of these legendary riders seeping into our lands. These much-feared cavalrymen throw spears with terrifying accuracy, then charge and enter hand-to-hand combat, in which they are drilled daily on, making then very formidable foes. That is why they are so dreaded. But just think what we could achieve if we had these renowned horsemen in our armies!

Runners sent the message to Theodotos Baktrios, who was in Khiva at the time, and he immediately set off for Baktra in winter of 264 BC with a small army to assemble a larger army to take Kophen, and, with the help of the gods, end our financial problems.

No one had any idea of how to counter these powerful forces, but as always, our leader, Theodotos Baktrios, had a plan of action…..
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-17-2007 at 16:33.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Hey, good to see this one is back!

Chapter 8- practice

Theodotos Baktrios had a major problem. Since Baktria was at first a peaceful country, very few of her soldiers knew what to do when they would assault Kophen, and even fewer had battle experience.
    Therefore, Theodotos decided to stage a practice run of the assault of Kophen. Fist, he constructed an exact model of Kophen- a large town with wooden walls, or at least excuses for walls.
    He constructed two battering rams, and gathered the army he planned to assault Kophen with 8 units of Thureophoroi,

which would be the primary unit Theodotos would use in his sieges, 4 units of Pezhetairoi,

a unit of slingers, two units of archers, and two units of Baktrian Medium Cavalry, along with whatever mercenaries he would pick up along the way, if he deemed to recruit them in the first place.

The assault would proceed as follows:

The Thureophoroi would push the two rams into positions on both sides of the main gate,

and would start to batter the walls down.

Once the walls were mostly battered down, the other units of Thureophoroi would move into position.

Once the area in front of the main gate was secured, and all enemy forces have withdrawn to the town square, the Pezhetairoi would enter the town and take position of the flanks, to secure them from any flanking action by the enemy.

left flank:

right flank:

While the other Thureophoroi entered the town and got into positions, the slingers and archers would rain upon the enemy death in arrow and stone form. When all was ready, they would cease fire, and four units of Thureophoroi would charge down the main street to capture the main square, while the four other units would advance down both side streets, two per side, and will flank the enemy.

But just in case, there would be two units of Baktrian Medium Cavalry that would be held in reserve, in the unlikely event that the enemy had the upper hand. After all, the cavalry does come to the rescue…….

All in all, the practice went smoothly, and Theodotos Baktrios considered his army somewhat ready and in the summer of 263, he moved out……

[ya, i know, kinda lame, but i did this to keep my fans happy....]
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-09-2007 at 17:06.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

This is the first AAR in which an army is actually drilling a siege. That's great.
    Kudos.

actually, it helped me a lot to drill the seige, since i found major flaws with my original plan- the actual assault which i played out was much longer and was filled with complicated menuvers.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast