Poll: Which difficulty do you choose for the first playthrough of non-strategy games?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred difficulty for non-strategy games

Default Preferred difficulty for non-strategy games

You load you your new game, and when you are offered a choice of difficulty you pick ...

This is the final entry in that series of topics I started a while back.

Strategy games are not included because I am working on the assumption that nearly all of us will play them on the hardest setting we can manage, excepting games which feature cheating AI. They are an entirely different topic, and I doubt I want to start that one.

I usually go with normal, unless the game is a FPS. My uber 1337 FPS skillz require me to play on easy.
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 04-17-2008 at 13:29.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Default Re: Preferred difficutly for non-strategy games

Nowadays, I always chose "normal". And if "normal" is too much trouble, I even switch to easy or easiest if available.

After a hard day's work, I want to play my game without much effort, because my feeble brains need rest.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I even play RTW most of the time on Medium/Medium

It's probably a form of laziness Or maybe I'm just a wuss.
    Last edited by Andres; 04-17-2008 at 13:30.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Re: Preferred difficulty for non-strategy games

Depends on what game it is. If it's Condemned 2, I prefer FPS mode (harder than hard, but with infinity ammo). If it's Bioshock, Normal.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I picked Hard, but it depends on the genre. I've been playing FPS games for so long now that I tend to go right for the hardest difficulty level, unless that level is equivalent to one-shot kills. At most I'm one notch down from the highest difficulty on FPS games the first run through, simply because nothing else is challenging. A second run through is always at the max difficulty possible.

RPGs are generally done at normal or 'core rules' if that is an option. Same with simulator games. I also tend to take the evil path first, if that is a choice in a game.
    Last edited by TinCow; 04-17-2008 at 14:16.

I always pick the hardest I can, play a few level on it and beat it if possible then it just becomes so easy to go down to normal and easy
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Not too hard, Halo's heroic is just about perfect.

If I'm playing an FPS, it's generally because I'm taking a break from proper "grown-up" games like TW, so I generally go for normal, since I want to be able to cruise through without too much exertion.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

I'll play it on normal to get a feel for it... After the first level I'll almost always switch over to a more difficult setting. Unless I get stuck a few levels later and then I'll switch it back down to normal. I always laugh at games that give you access to the Easy setting if you've died a certain amount of times... Like Devil May Cry. If you fail two or three times it'll say "You have unlocked easy mode"... what an achievement.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

If its a RPG, then normal.
    If its a FPS, very hard.

As such I voted both
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Caged for your safety Member RabidGibbon's Avatar

I always go for easy on a FPS, just to y'know, get a 'feel' for the game. Then once I've got a 'feel' for the game I decide I can't be bothered playing through the bits I've completed again on another difficulty level and finish it on easy.

(I make an Exception for co-op games, as my brother in law (usual team mate) is much, much better than me at FPS, so we'll play on a harder difficultly level and I'll just blaze away unhelpfully in the background.)

I can't think of any other games I play that aren't strategy or FPS. Oh except for RPG's of course. Normally go for easy on them too, see above for reasoning.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I always default to 'normal' and change it only if necessary. If I pick 'easy' I can't shake the feeling that I'm playing the kiddie version and hard and above usually means making it unnecessarily frustrating.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Normal. But I'll notch it up after a few levels if I'm finding it easy.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Usually start on normal. Depending on the type/length/fun level of the game, I will either finish it there, or restart on a more difficult level before I get too far in.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I usually go for the hardest on rpgs/fpss mainly because I have rarely ever found them to be challenging in single player. Only games I usually set to normal are rts games since it takes a while to learn build orders/ general tactics in every game
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Normal usually
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I nearly always start with the easiest setting. Aside from strategy titles, I pretty much suck at video games.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hard for FPS's. I'm usually pretty good at them.

Hard as possible w/o AI cheating on games like the Total war games.

Normal for game like Civilization.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Not too hard, Halo's heroic is just about perfect.
    I thought heroic was hard until I finally beat the game on legendary. That consisted of me replaying some parts 20+ times and swearing at my tv.

Charge Men............Retreat! Member The Foolish Horseman's Avatar

always on Hard or very hard.

I like a challenging game.......although perosnally i found bioshock too easy even on the hardest setting,, but thats just me.

IN Total War I Trust!!

The Foolish Horseman, previously known as GBB

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Normal, pretty much always. It's how the game was meant to be played.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Normal on my first play through so I can get a feel for the game and I can go through teh storyline. After that though I ramp it up a bit.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Post Re: Preferred difficulty for non-strategy games

Start on Easy although, once I've got the essential grasp, I either up the difficulty to Normal or start a new game on Normal if the former is not possible. I may later move on to hard, but these FPS and similar games seem to follow a fixed almost unchangeable storyline which makes multiple plays quite uninteresting - a bit like watching the same film several times over.

Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 04-20-2008 at 09:10.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

I don't normally progress beyond 'Normal' difficulty-- aside from the fact that I'm a mediocre gamer, I don't like it when the enemy gets health/attack/wjatever bonuses (or when I get penalties). If I really like a game that I play again and again, I might progress to a higher difficulty if the only bonuses the AI gets are accuracy, reaction speed or intelligence, in other words, simulating more skilled opponents instead of merely opponents who are harder to kill.

The highest difficulty I've gotten to was Expert on Condition Zero, back when I was playing daily with other human players, but once I stopped, everything sort of just slipped away. Now I can play maybe on Normal or Hard only.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

If the focus of the game is the story, like an RPG I'll play on Normal. A high difficulty level in games like that usually just adds extra enemies or lowers your strength. If the game is action-oriented, like Max Payne or Painkiller, then I usually replay at the highest difficulty level, as extra enemies means extra fun.

There are also player-enforced difficulty levels, such as ghosting in Thief or Iron-Manning a certain mission. In SWAT 4, I often played on Hard difficulty and only used lethal primary weapons. Back in the original Counter-Strike I would often go knife-only for the unique challenge. I've never done a speedrun before, but there appears to be a sizable cult of folks who do this.
    Last edited by Kongamato; 04-20-2008 at 23:15.
    "Never in physical action had I discovered the chilling satisfaction of words. Never in words had I experienced the hot darkness of action. Somewhere there must be a higher principle which reconciles art and action. That principle, it occurred to me, was death." -Yukio Mishima

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    Normal, pretty much always. It's how the game was meant to be played.
    I agree with you and Omanes.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

I start on normal, then, depending if it's hard or easy, I change to difficulty accordingly.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I've only ever completed one game on super-mega-uber-make-you-want-to-cry-difficulty, and that was Halo on Legendary with a friend. We were up for two days doing that. Considering how it was the first real shooter we'd ever played (Unreal Tournament doesn't count at all), we were quite proud.

But god, did that send us crazy or what. I hate the Library, with a passion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Solely depends on the game, my reverend lady. Sometimes it means little. For instance in good old Sea Dogs difficulty level only determines the number of free skill points you get upon rank promotion. Easy gives 5 and it gets lesser. Just for the sake of those free skill points I've always played on easy.
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 04-21-2008 at 04:54.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

I play a lot of FPS's...

Because I rarely replay them (at least not for a significant period of time) I like to go in at Hard to start with to make it last longer...

I avoid the Impossible, Nutcase difficulty levels usually... I want a challenge, but I don't want to be fustrated...

Sometimes (in newer CoD games for one example) playing on the highest difficulty level can alter the dynamic of the game in a good way. No longer and you run and gun the whole game, you must pay some respect to the enemy, fight from cover and think about what you are doing...

Usually Normal, and usually I'll stick with that. Except in Mount & Blade where I put everything on hardest except combat speed to slow simply because I'm a slow person ion general, which may also explain why I play other games on normal usually. When a game forces me to hurry and be faster, that's stressful and the fun ends for me, so I usually stick with normal, I may try a bit higher if normal is too easy but usually it's fine and if the AI just gets more hitpoints or so I often don't like it, similar to what Quirinus says.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast