Thread: Saka Crash with Error Dialog Box

Default Saka Crash with Error Dialog Box

Hello! I hope this crash can be averted.
    The details:
    Crash always happens with and without EB script on Koinon Hellenon's turn.
    I am playing EB 1.1 on RTW 1.5 with latest fixes applied.
    The savegame link is: http://uploaded.to/?id=b7ewwz
    Thank you.

Default Re: Saka Crash with Error Dialog Box

And what would the error message say?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    And what would the error message say?
    Sorry I did not post it right away, but nothing meaningful really - "Pure virtual function call"

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

Everything's meaningful. I believe another person on the forums got that exact same message a few days ago. I don't think it was ever resolved either.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

Hmm.

This is getting scary. See LotW's thread for another case, and more suggestions.

Here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=102920
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 05-01-2008 at 00:14.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Korlon
    Everything's meaningful. I believe another person on the forums got that exact same message a few days ago. I don't think it was ever resolved either.
    Oh, that's unfortunate. But this is the first time I experience this CTD. I got many other CTDs that are not permanent unlike this one. May be it will work on other person's computer... I would really appreciate if someone who tries to finish the turn of this savegame succeeds, he would send me back that save game.

Well I use Vista, and use the original exe (w/o nocd patch).

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

Weird. I tried your save, and I get the same exact error as you, script on and off.

I've never had this error, ever, in my three years playing this game.
    Last edited by Korlon; 05-01-2008 at 00:25.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Korlon
    Weird. I tried your save, and I get the same exact error as you, script on and off.

I've never had this error, ever, in my three years playing this game.
    Well, that's the first time I experienced it as well. Though I must admit that in EB 1.1 it's already my 4th campaign, as 3 others CTD-ed as well, but with no error at all, I was just lazy to post them. But with this one.. I came to especially love my campaign with Saka (first time I play them), and now quite early I get this error... oh well... At least I know that it's not my PC.
    What in the World is KH doing that causes the crash?!

BTW, Running rtw.exe in Admin mode in Vista does not make a difference! :(

And also, Process Monitor does not reveal anything interesting, as right before the crash it is just succesfully accessing existing files.

And I just tried a save game by LotW89 (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=102920), it too crashes on my PC. Must be a similar problem then.

Sorry I did not post it right away, but nothing meaningful really - "Pure virtual function call"
    Yes it is meaningful. Unfortunately it is as bad as it gets.
    It means there is error in RTW code that only CA can fix.
    There is nothing EB team can do about it although it would be good to know what actions are making RTW.exe call this pure virtual function.
    Last edited by LorDBulA; 05-01-2008 at 07:08.

Try to take control over KH and cancel all recruitment and construction, and move all characters and armies of theirs. Then return control to your own faction. See the linked thread for how.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    Try to take control over KH and cancel all recruitment and construction, and move all characters and armies of theirs. Then return control to your own faction. See the linked thread for how.
    Thank you for your suggestion. But I could not find a linked thread that explains how to get control over naother faction. Could you please point me to a link?

Quote Originally Posted by LorDBulA
    Yes it is meaningful. Unfortunately it is as bad as it gets.
    It means there is error in RTW code that only CA can fix.
    There is nothing EB team can do about it although it would be good to know what actions are making RTW.exe call this pure virtual function.
    But I don;t think it's possible unless you attach debugger to a process, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    Hmm.

This is getting scary. See LotW's thread for another case, and more suggestions.

Here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=102920
    Here's the link.

You don't have to run a debugger to see patterns in what is happening in the game when the crashes occur, you just need plenty of time and stubbornness enough to search for it.
    Last edited by bovi; 05-01-2008 at 13:26.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Here's the link.

You don't have to run a debugger to see patterns in what is happening in the game when the crashes occur, you just need plenty of time and stubbornness enough to search for it.
    Thank you for your reply, Bovi! Probably I am not getting something, but it does not say there how do I get control over another faction. Is there some cheat code, or save game modification tool I am not aware of?

I believed Tellos' link to point to where you could see that without checking myself. My fault , instead this thread shows how.
    Last edited by bovi; 05-01-2008 at 19:49.

================
    ================

I believed Tellos' link to point to where you could see that without checking myself. My fault , instead this thread shows how.
    Thanks for the link! I did not think it was that easy. Anyways after spending 2 hours in hex editor I did eventually found out hopw to swap factions in a save game, but the problem was that the swapped faction's turn would never end. So I opted for another solution - reloaded an earlier save and replyed it. Now I am at least 15 turns past that crash and so far it has not happened.

A workaround could be to use the Barbarian Invasion executable for that turn. I did not have a program crash using the spqr.sav posted in another thread about the same error, which seems to result in a program crash with the same error message.

You could look to https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=101745 for instructions on how to get EB to work on BI.
    only Steps 5 to 11 in post #15 should be necessary