Thread: No-Dachi

Finally got my book and Ref. card from EA. For some reason I can not train No-Dachi Sam's. I have went thru the various castles etc. Running game mod on easy atm to get used to the interface.
    Life is but a pond, and we are all little fish's.

You need to build the "Sword Dojo" to get No-Dachis...that requires Large Castle and the Rank of Legendary Swordsman for your Daimyo!

------------------
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

in other words kill 5 men with him in a battle or something like that you shoudl get it in your first game

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

eurosan and lordted are twins? boy, what's the world coming to!

K.

and evilc, must be a big family.
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

Hiru,

To get No-Dachi you must get the Legendary Swordsman Event. You get this randomly after fighting several battles. Try to keep using the same army and units to fight repeatedly and you should get the event notice. After that, if you have a Large Castle, you can build a Sword Dojo and train No-Dachi.

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Insolent Horses!!!!"
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

It doesn't have to be your daimyo who gets the kills, but his is the easiest unit to use when trying to rack up the kills (after all, he should survive every battle).

------------------
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

I also have no idea how legendary swordsman is achieved. However, I guess it is not truly a "random" event.

In my experience, when one of my men (can be any soldier) killed 5 enemy in one battle (you can check this in the logfile), the lengendary swordman movie will show. But it might just be a conincidence...

To kill more than 5 men in a battle is really luck-dependent. You might have killed 90% of the enemy but everybody shared the kills very evenly.

[This message has been edited by Maltz (edited 07-09-2001).]

I think to activate the 'Legendary Swordsman' one of your samurai units must reach honour 3. But I couldn't be sure. Most of the time I never activate it.

----------------------------

"Those who cling to life die, and those who defy death live." Uesugi Kenshin

Greetings,
    I believe there are two possible ways to achieve the legendary swordsman event.
    --Either one of your men kills 10 men in battle.

--A general rises 3 ranks.

I could be mistaken though,
    -J

Quote Originally posted by Asakura Lord:
    and evilc, must be a big family.[/QUOTE]

No, its just genetic cloning Very easy way to make your own clan that obey orders!

website for CO-OP SP Campaign is : http://www.totalwar.org/maltz/SP_Campaign/.

I have played Shimazu on expert and on all lower levels and this is one clan that really needs No-Dachi and it takes forever to get it! I was originally of the idea that you needed the kills with your archers - so I went HTH with them to get it quickly - and no go.

The funny thing is when playing ODA you can get legendary swordsman on the first turn in just attacking Tamba(?) and the general/Daimyo has not gone up 3 levels and I have got it without using my Daimyo so that ruins that idea.

So.... I have no idea, but I think it is weighted against Shimazu. Yes I am paranoid

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

I normlly get the event within the first couple of battles if not the first battle. It does not matter what unit it is.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon

I am no hero I just like to hit people in the head. :p
    DP is correct - Shiro

It does take a bit longer with Shimazu before any one of your men gets 5 kills, seems to be loaded against you so you don't get the N/D too early.

Best way is to send one army into as many battles as possible, don't use different armies unless they can also fight lots of them. If you can force the enemy to flee your men can gain quick kills ie. position one unit at the rear to hack the enemy down as they flee off.
    website for CO-OP SP Campaign is : http://www.totalwar.org/maltz/SP_Campaign/.

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

Yes in SP Shimazu does seem to wait longer to get access to ND

------------------
    KumaRatta Yamamoto (Emissary of the ratta clan)Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

It took a while when I was playing SP as Uesugi, I was getting very frustrated that is hadn't happened yet.
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

Greetings,
    I also tend to get the legendary swordsman earlier when I auto-resolve an early easy battle (even Shimazu) than when I fight it.

Is this because of who is considered to be killing the enemy when you auto-resolve?

-J

I've just proven myself wrong in war story no 6 - I got the lengedary swordman event with nobody killed 5 in the last battle.

My current assumption is that any man in your army gets to a certain honor value - he probably achieves this by killing enough people, or just he has accumulated enough kills.

This assumption fits better with everyone's suggestion - if you use one unit to fight more, then theoretically the survived have accumulated more kills (so a higher honor).

Yet I am not sure exactly how high the honor is needed. Perhaps 5 or 6? (I see H4 quite a lot).

I have actually gotten the Legendary Swordsmen event after a turn where all I did was move an invading army into an enemy province and then hit the "call off attack" button, so no actual fighting took place at all. Wierd.

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Insolent Horses!!!!"
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Hmm then it might be just random.

However, if the "Honor theory" is true, it can also fit in Koga your description. When one of the soldier already has a high-enough honor before the "battle" at the beginning of the game, he is determined to get the event whenever the check point comes

[This message has been edited by Maltz (edited 07-11-2001).]