Thread: AI suffer from fatigue?

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

I've always been suspsicious that maybe the AI controlled units in SP don't suffer from the same fatigue that my units do. This is often because I've watched a lone unit (or two) of Ashigaru run all across the battlefield with my own units chasing after, often for more time than should be legal. this tends to happen when I've routed the enemy army army from the map except for a lone unit that escaped my flank.
    Even using the speed-setting bar, to hasten the game, the Ashi unit will constantly march quickly while my own men (no-dachi or yari samurai) eventually begin to lag and drop down to marching as their max speed; my men also tend to get exhausted while the enemy unit stays as nimble as ever. time and again I see this happen, not only woith ashi, but sometimes with the enemy Daimyo unit (he marches away, he stops, my men attack, he retreats, he stops, my men get close, etc.)
    any ideas?

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

I also notice that the AI always march (very)quickly even after a tiresome struggle.

That's partly why I still love leading an army with my daimyo. They are the best pursuers we can find.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I agree with you Soly.This was also the case in the original game too.It just amazes me that I would be on defense,holding the high ground,and the AI units would be running into position to attack me.Then charging my position at full speed.Then after routing them they would out run my supposed fresher units.My guys tongues are hanging out in exhaustion and the AI units seem to be as fresh as daisies.When I'm attacking with an ally,I notice that my ally's units do tire out,and no wonder because they practically run the whole way,just like any one-on-one battle against me.I think it's just another little built in advantage for the AI.Kind of like the "William Tell" quality of the ronin archers that you discovered recently.

------------------
    Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so that they look forward to making the trip.

[This message has been edited by Hosakawa Tito (edited 10-02-2001).]
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

nice to collect some other player evidence, now I'd like to see if any of the tech boys have some explanation or hypothesis for this.

I'm with you on this Soly, I have always thought the fatigue was somewhat onesided.
    Come on you Moders, whats the answer?

------------------
    I wouldn't join any club that would have ME as a member!.
    I wouldn't join any club that would have ME as a member!.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Soly,
    i must have missed the post about the 'William Tell' ronin archers,
    can you elucidate, or at least point me to the appropriate thread...

------------------
    DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

I'd just like to reassure you that the battle ai plays by exactly the same rules as you do. This applies to fatigue, ammo supply, morale, and anything else. The only exception is the combat bonus that the a.i. gets on harder difficulty levels.

The only explanation I can think of is that the a.i. unit will tend to move and stop and thus have a little time to recover. Recovery from exhaustion happens quite quickly.

Not to write to much on the subject,but I have noticed this as well.
    agreed..
    TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Western Digital 80gb HD/8meg cach
    Samsung 19 SyncMaster 950p
    Stransky-Grab your MP-40 and I'll take you where the Iron crosses grow row on row.
    Steiner...

I suspect as Hosakawa pointed out, that given the judgement limitations of the AI, this is just another edge the comp gets. It is annoying though.

I suspect as Hosakawa pointed out, that given the judgement limitations of the AI, this is just another edge the comp gets. It is annoying though.

I've noticed the same thing. I think Hosakawa's right though. It seems this is just another edge the comp gets to compensate for it's frequently dismal judgement.

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

In my own experiences, frequently the AI runs non-stop under the full speed, while we cannot. But we can compensate this voluntary lag by double-left click (order the unit to charge) once more. Then our pursuing army will be happy to charge again

It is also funny that even when the units are exhausted, they still "run away" under the fastest speed they can get.

How l hate when they have ashis and l have to chase em for minutes to make em fight. It's simply irritating. Also the AI should rout it's men if it sees that he cann't win the battle. Or if it's loosing make it's units run.
    Never happent to me cause l don't give them that chance! :P

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.fateback.com
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by barocca:
    Soly,
    i must have missed the post about the 'William Tell' ronin archers,
    can you elucidate, or at least point me to the appropriate thread...

[/QUOTE]
    Barocca check page 4 of this forum,title "Ronin missile troops" by Soly.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Yes, I must say that it seems exceedingly unlikely that any AI troops suffer from even a hint of fatigue. This would explain some of the strange test results I've been getting.

When testing modified units 1v1, I have for some time that the AI has a way of making a sort of 3rd-quarter comeback.. and just now, as I've set the Ashis with the same stats as YS and have been testing them.. I use the EXACT same tactics as the AI, and they win, whether YS vs. Ashi or Ashi vs. YS, EVERY SINGLE TIME.. and I have watched carefully-- they start winning when my guys work up to "quite tired"..

Not that this could be so bad, given the way the AI runs around (both my favorite and my unfavorite is the "tactic" where they take their entire force and sprint pell-mell in a semi-circular motion towards you on one side of the map.. grrrr lol), but it is f***ing up my test results.. I guess I'll just have to make extra-special sure I test everything from BOTH sides from now on..

Though this can be hard, as often to achieve the desired situation I *must* control one side or the other, as with certain match-ups the AI can be thoroughly uncooperative.

grrrr..

Matt