Page 156 of 167 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,680 of 5004

Thread: LEN Teh Footy God's Footballodium

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: LEN Teh Footy God's Footballodium

Any interest in a Euro 2012 predictions competition, like we had for the World Cup?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Another chance to be beaten by a girl!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

As always I put my money on Germany.

A wise man once said: Football is a game with 22 players, one ball and in the end the Germans win.
    My grandpa always ads: when the Germans come, they come with a lot and they tend to stay a while
    Last edited by Peasant Phill; 05-30-2012 at 23:27.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

5 Questions for bonus points after the tournament (10 points each):
    Winners:
    Top goalscorer:

Will "Woy" 4-4-2 his way through the tournament?
    Will Mario Balotelli walk off the pitch due to racist abuse (or kill someone for throwing a banana at him)?:
    Number of red cards in the tournament:
    Then a match predictions contest through the tournament with 5 points for a correct result, 10 for a correct scoreline.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Any interest in a Euro 2012 predictions competition, like we had for the World Cup?
    Sure...I will join in.

Number of missed penalties by the English.
    Winner of the wooden spoon.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Did those last time, mine are clearly more topical.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Number of hooligan clashes?
    Number of banana's thrown?
    Player with most passes/best pas succes ratio/... succesfull dribbles?
    Goalie with most cleansheets, saves...?
    Team with most goals against in group fase?
    Number of starts for Carol/Young after Rooney returns?
    Number of creative actions by England players?
    Most succesfull outsider?
    Biggest worth for money (succes compared to total worth of squad or player)?
    Most racist supporter group?
    Most exciting game (number of goals or score line turn arounds,...)?

Some might not be as easily answered in an objective matter, but so what?

Did those last time, mine are clearly more topical.
    The English missing penalties is always topical.

Most attractive supporters.

I'm going to do a bold bet: France is going to win the EK. They didn't lose any of their last 10 games, recently won 1-2 from Germany and barely have any goals against them in those last ten games. A sturdy defence is always a plus in these games and something only Spain has as well (but going for the obvious favourites is so boring). Ribery can also be a serious threat on his own as he proved with the Bayern Munich vs Holland friendly.

England without lampard and with a suspended Rooney, don't seem great contenders. Though with some luck they might go to the second round as runners up. France taking the lead in the group though.

Germany is of course a quality team but hasn't been as in form as they were. The game against bulgaria not considered with the many absent players. Sweinsteiger's form and fitness will be essential for their succes. Müller is out of form, and I'm not sure if Klose still has what it takes. Of course Gomez had another great season but is he alone enough of threat and what if he falls out or is tired? With Lahm however they have the best defender of the competition, he had CR7 in his back pocket and has even done the with the footballing genius Messi. Of course they are the big runner up favourite after Spain.

Spain is getting a bit older and the Barça and Madrid guys are tired and not the former especially had better seasons. Still they are clear favourites as they are the most balanced team, with both a great defence and attack. And lof course one can expect very high percentages of possession. And while they have a good record 2 losses, 1 draw and 7 victories. The victories were mainly against minor teams, while both times they played bigger teams they lost, England and Italy if you were curious. A problem they also had a bit longer ago against Argentina and Portugal which they both lost big time. Though their qualification games they won without exception.

Italy will come with a rather new and younger team than in the last two failed tournaments. Perhaps they might surprise us? They did defeat Spain with 1-2. However of their 10 last games three were lost. 0-2 against the likes of N. Ireland!? The other two which were their last two games, were both lost 0-1 against Uruguay and VS. Especially the latter should have been a victory for a team with high ambitions. With two losses as the last games it can't be good for both the atmosphere nor morale and confidence. From their last two games they only won two.

Netherlands have a good attack, but a much weaker defence. Sneijder has an injury, though not sure if it's going to keep him out tof the tournament. Van Marwijk is also making some strange decisions at the moment. And the squad isn't playing as a team, or so the dutch press say. I've only seen the second half of the game against Bayern, in which they were very bad. A feat they seemed to have repeated against bulgaria. Of tehir last ten games they only had 5 victories, which is significantly lower than any of the other big nations. While people were seeing the Netherlands as the second big candidate outsider along with Germany, I think this is unlikely. The game against Germany, which they lost with 0-3 illustrates why. Of course with their attacking options every game can be won by them, but just as easily could they lose against minor teams thanks to the weakest defence they had since, well ever?

Last of the big nations is Portugal. It all depends on CR7 I guess. Will he finally shine in a international competition with his country? Perhaps this is his year. After finally being able to win the Spanish competition, he might actually do it. The group of death will most likely make that they finish either third or second, which means they'll have a difficult game to start with in the second round. After already so many exhausiting games, this doesn't look too good for them. Of course they have to get by Holland first, but I think they could do that. Even if out of form, I don't see CR7 being stopped by their defence. However they only won one of their last five games, 6 of their last ten however. But one mustn't forget that this was mainly against small teams. The best of them was Denmark to which they lost 1-2. However it is the only game they lost. Perhaps if they work on their penalties, they might get far after all.

The other countries are boring.

Blog Entries

I think we have our analist for the pre/after game talks here at the org.

We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Then a match predictions contest through the tournament with 5 points for a correct result, 10 for a correct scoreline.
    Is there going to be a separate thread for it?

Doesn't really seem to be enough interest to bother, unfortunately.

thats a shame...

Perhaps it might if you make a separate thread for it as it would catch more eyes. Also might be an idea to advertise it in the gameroom?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

No need we will win. What is this defence thingie you guy keep yapping about, ball needs to be in the goal of the other side

Nothing wrong with Dutch defence it's just different https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Nq...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-04-2012 at 17:38.

Blog Entries

Just make a separate thread close enough tot he start of the EC.

And of course some one will have to keep score.

Blog Entries

Ok so the European Championship is rapidly approaching.

Does anybody volunteer to make the prediction competition?

I'll do it. Had one typed up earlier, but Chrome crashed. You wouldn't believe how often that happens to me at the org...

Anyway, when did you turn green, mis-spelled Phil?

Blog Entries

I'll do it. Had one typed up earlier, but Chrome crashed. You wouldn't believe how often that happens to me at the org...
    Thanks, much appreciated. I'm sure it'll be a success once it gets it's own thread.

Anyway, when did you turn green, mis-spelled Phil?
    I'm helping Gregoshi out over at the Shogun 2 subfora. Also I was waiting a long time to be able to play this:

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    Thanks, much appreciated. I'm sure it'll be a success once it gets it's own thread.

I'm helping Gregoshi out over at the Shogun 2 subfora. Also I was waiting a long time to be able to play this:

Please don't post 'I'm blue' from eifel 65, if you should ever go back to being just content manager. Please!

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, you ungrateful .

Robin van Persie

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    Robin van Persie
    Perhaps finishing second in a different shade of red feels better, I don't know?
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Perhaps finishing second in a different shade of red feels better, I don't know?
    I just don't see how the transfer helps anyone.

• Arsenal loses it's captain and someone whose skills fit very well into the team structure. At least they got some cash out of it.
    • ManU gets a 29 year old, injury prone striker who will not be the main focus of the offense and has shown he needs to be that to be effective. The phrase "regression to the mean" comes to mind.
    • RvP gets to fight for a spot, has to deal with Rooney's BS, and will no longer get the beautiful through balls from Song/Arteta that got him the highlight goals he needed to get this deal in the first place. On the plus side he won't need to purchase a hair dryer.

What a waste.

It's a strange one from United. An initial spend of £22,500,000, add-ons of £1,500,000 and £45,760,000 in wages for a total spend of £69.76 over next 4 years when you consider the financial issues the Glazers are facing and the fact United miss a real creative midfielder (Kagawa is not the answer, he is more of a young Scholes, good shot, movement, box-to-box energy, terrible tackling technique). Money they could be spending on a midfielder to make their team tick. United also play a very traditional British style -- fast, tricky wingers who provide balls into the box for headers and tap-ins for onrushing centre forwards and poachers. Robin van Payslip can probably play that poaching role, but it wastes his movement and link up play. He thrives on through balls, which United place less emphasis on. He's also one injury away from being a very expensive member of the treatment room.

For Arsenal, there was no keeping him. His mind was made up, which is a shame, he went from idolised to hated in a matter of minutes after his July 4th statement of independence. But, keeping a player, with the injury record and probable interruption to the squad is just not feasible. Especially considering the money on offer to be hopefully reinvested into the squad. It's just a shame his ego got the better of him.

I think the probable move of Alex Song to Barca is more interesting and worrying for both teams involved. For Arsenal Song is the only midfielder with a real physical presence that helps when playing some of teams that follow the older British style of play (get restarts, play diagonals, target men, "get up in 'em" type play). And for Barca, well, Song's stats and technique are probably not good enough. He lost the ball 88 times last season, compared to Mascherano's 20. There's no doubt he's a talent, with a joint fourth 11 assists and a League leading 0.7 through balls per game last season, but he's likely to be an expensive bench warmer for Barca and leave a bit of a gap in the most defensive spot of the Arsenal midfield.

The heavily rumoured replacement for Song is Real Madrid's Nuri Sahin, and those with access to the inside track suggest Walcott is signing a new contract shortly. So all in all Arsenal will probably surprise most people this season and do better than expected, in a similar way to 07/08.

Ultimately it'll prove an interesting season. United are one midfielder away from a very good side. Arsenal are probably in a similar situation, based on those coming in/already in, although another young forward in addition to a midfielder wouldn't go amiss. City surprisingly seem content with their squad, although Mancini and Brian Marwood don't seem to be able to agree on that, and any additions will probably only come once their squad is pruned. Chelsea have brought in three very over-hyped youngsters for a lot of money and will have an over-reliance on Torres coming good, that's a lot of pressure that he hasn't coped well with so far. Of those youngsters: Hazard's temperament and size may see him struggle initially, but his talent will probably see him good post-Christmas, Oscar is a wild card, what I have seen of him he does not look good enough to be a £25 million player, but age is on his side and Marin ranged from flashes of real talent to being utterly average at Werder. Liverpool have brought in a good coach and an underrated gem in Borini, but they still have a very poor defensive unit that needs strengthening and a lack of quality up front outside of Suarez. Newcastle may find it difficult to repeat last season, their squad is almost the same, but would need a couple more quality players to push higher. Tottenham may also struggle, AVB is not a coach that inspires confidence, and currently the only recognisable forward is the utterly average Defoe -- Modric to Madrid will also be a big loss.

I can see it being a very, very close season in all competitions and it should be just as, if not more, exciting than last season!
    #Hillary4prism

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    I think the probable move of Alex Song to Barca is more interesting and worrying for both teams involved. For Arsenal Song is the only midfielder with a real physical presence that helps when playing some of teams that follow the older British style of play (get restarts, play diagonals, target men, "get up in 'em" type play). And for Barca, well, Song's stats and technique are probably not good enough. He lost the ball 88 times last season, compared to Mascherano's 20. There's no doubt he's a talent, with a joint fourth 11 assists and a League leading 0.7 through balls per game last season, but he's likely to be an expensive bench warmer for Barca and leave a bit of a gap in the most defensive spot of the Arsenal midfield.
    This is the move I fear the most. RvP's was a foregone conclusion after his statement, at least he had the decency to burn his bridges early and give Wenger a chance to get reinforcements. Song combines a physical presence with some nice creativity in one player, hopefully Wenger puts his price too high for Barca to bite.

Can't wait to see what happens on ManU penalty kicks during the season.

Sorry to disappoint drone, but supposedly Song is as good as gone, with the announcements set for tomorrow or Monday. Wenger has lost patience with the antics these lads have displayed (lack of respect, egotism, etc) and rightfully told him to jog on. No player is bigger than a club, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Can't wait to see what happens on ManU penalty kicks during the season.
    Well, I'm sure Row Z at Old Trafford will have to worry about being hit by some of his wildly inaccurate free-kicks!

Penalties at Arsenal just got a whole lot better too, Lukas Podolski is on penalty duty and Germans never miss penalties!
    #Hillary4prism

Arsenal are better off without Song, a defensive midfielder with such an ego and who thinks he is Pele is a liability. He probably caused more goals to be conceded with his lack of positional discipline last season than he created with that lofted pass that had to work sometimes with the amount of times he tries it.

I think Arsenal are better off without both to be honest, great money for a one season wonder and looks like a decent fee for a player who is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

I know RVP doesn't really make any logical sense, but it feels right in some irrational and animalistic way. Like when you splurge on the best player in FM and feel the need to run outside and howl at the moon.

Anyway! I think the management at United are hoping that one of Cleverley and Anderson can have a relatively injury-free season. Darren Fletcher also played half an hour on Wednesday and started a reserve game today, so there's hope for him, which would leave us with a very workable midfield two of Carrick and one of Cleverley or Scholes, or a lot more combinations in a midfield three. Of course, we'd be in a bit of trouble if we lose Carrick. (Rumours flying around that Ferdinand has joined three of our other centrebacks on the injury list, which would probably push Carrick into central defence ...)

I really like the looks of Cleverley. Aside from technique and composure, he has great awareness so that he always seems to know what he's going to do with a ball before he receives it. We've also played Kagawa and Nick Powell in the middle in preseason, but they both look better further upfield. On the other hand, Cleverley looked handy when he was played deeper for GB, close to Joe Allen, so maybe there's a possibility. Or maybe SAF will decide it's a good idea to play Rafael as a defensive midfielder again ...

Up top, I imagine Rooney and RVP will get played one behind the other, perhaps interchangeably, and we might see Kagawa on the left, which was where he played in his first season at Dortmund. A fluid front four of Rooney, RVP, Kagawa, and Nani would be a sight! The one player who I'm afraid will suffer might be Hernandez, since Welbeck can work down the flanks, but maybe Kagawa playing off Hernandez would be a good combination as well. Valencia might get as many games at right back as right wing. I personally don't rate Young much. He tends to go missing a bit too often for my liking.

Re: Song. I'm not sure how helpful comparing his stats with Mascherano would be, since no only did Mascherano play quite a bit in central defence, it has to be easier to keep the ball in Barca's system and with Barca's reputation. Maybe Barca just want an alternative to Busquets. At least Song won't be booed with every touch.

Van Payslip is a bit of a cheapshot, don't you think? I can see the argument that Arsenal have stuck by him through his injuries, but City, etc. [fill in appropriate argument here].

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A0mpujYCIAAJL-9.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	6561

Page 156 of 167 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166 ... LastLast