Thread: Fridge + Salmon + four weeks no power...

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Default Fridge + Salmon + four weeks no power...

So I was on holiday for some four weeks. Returning to my room the first thing I noticed was the smell. The first thought was that maybe it hadn't been such a great idea to disconnect the fridge... I thought I'd removed everything, but you never know... Apprehensively I open the door, and fears are confirmed: the best way to describe the sight is a petri dish in a biology experiment, and the smell is atrocious. After a look around I find that in the top is a freezer section I'd never noticed before, and the inside contains the source. A salmon filet, left in there by the previous user (oh, end of last year or so) looking terrible.

By now the smell in the room has just about gone, but the fridge still reeks. I've cleaned it out thoroughly with various cleaning liquids, washing up liquids and bleach, but to no avail. The smell remains. Worse, after leaving for a few days and returning I've noticed some of the stuff returning.

I've tried everything I can think of, but it doesn't help. My own small fridge is really useful, so I'd prefer it to be saved, especially since I'm rather tight for money right now. Anyone got experience with a similar situation or have any ideas how to clean this one out? Any help would really be appreaciated!
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Fridge + Salmon + four weeks no power...

Some buddies of mine in college had a small fridge, and the power to the dorm got cut during one of the breaks (about a week, I guess). Maggots galore! They hosed it out, used cleaners and bleach, and got it working again with no smell. Sounds like you have a more resistant strain of fuzz though.

When you say "after leaving for a few days and returning I've noticed some of the stuff returning", do you mean the fuzz/mold? While it's powered on? Where in the fridge do you see this?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Yep...
    Had a freezer (the large one with a lid) in the basement that someone cut the power to. In it were grouses. A grouse is a bird that has a rather red meat. It is found in the wild and is a popular bird for hunting.

I guess we didn't notice that the power was gone before the smell.
    That freezer had to go... nothing could be done.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    When you say "after leaving for a few days and returning I've noticed some of the stuff returning", do you mean the fuzz/mold? While it's powered on? Where in the fridge do you see this?
    Well, it was completely clean (still stank) when I left. Power was on and the fridge was working, and I left it for about four days. When I got back there was some moldy stuff again, despite the fact that it was completely clean when I left it; most noticeably in the freezer compartment at the top, some in the bottom, though only in small amounts in both cases. The containers and planks I've cleaned have stayed good.

The smell is still clearly present though, and I'm wondering if something could be stuck in the drain in the back. I'll clean that out as much as I can with cotton swabs.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Have you tried using an anti-fungal agent? That would probably take care of any of the mold spores you've missed and stop it coming back. I would think that bleach should have sorted it, though.
    Last edited by Big King Sanctaphrax; 08-21-2007 at 23:51.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Deoderant?
    Abandon all hope.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

If it's one of those little fridges with the freezer at the top (single door unit), there are lots of cracks and crevasses that stuff can hide in around that mechanism. I'd advice an anti-fungal, or more bleach. Spray it down well, scrub it, and then leave it unplugged with the door open for a few days. Good luck!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Bi-carbonate of soda is the thing to use in fridges. For grease and such, lemon juice.

It sounds like you may have some spores in a crack somewhere. If so, the fridge will have to go. The thing about molds is that once infected they are very hard to get rid of. You could try an anti-mold spray, however experience tells me the you will have to buy a new one.

Sorry to be such a harbinger.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Not as tragic the the great case of the exploding milk-bottle. What you need is green soap, miracle stuff

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Against the smell try a package of backing powder on a small plate.
    Leave it there for a day. If that doesn't help, grained coffee.

R'as

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    So I was on holiday for some four weeks. Returning to my room the first thing I noticed was the smell. The first thought was that maybe it hadn't been such a great idea to disconnect the fridge... I thought I'd removed everything, but you never know... Apprehensively I open the door, and fears are confirmed: the best way to describe the sight is a petri dish in a biology experiment, and the smell is atrocious. After a look around I find that in the top is a freezer section I'd never noticed before, and the inside contains the source. A salmon filet, left in there by the previous user (oh, end of last year or so) looking terrible.

By now the smell in the room has just about gone, but the fridge still reeks. I've cleaned it out thoroughly with various cleaning liquids, washing up liquids and bleach, but to no avail. The smell remains. Worse, after leaving for a few days and returning I've noticed some of the stuff returning.

I've tried everything I can think of, but it doesn't help. My own small fridge is really useful, so I'd prefer it to be saved, especially since I'm rather tight for money right now. Anyone got experience with a similar situation or have any ideas how to clean this one out? Any help would really be appreaciated!
    I would've expected upon your return you would've discovered a new life form. One that is intelligent and able to communicate with you through telepathy and that is able to defy the laws of nature like a psychic.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

It's just as well it was a salmon and not an octo-squid. Then you'd really be in a spot of bother.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

We once had that problem. Except we had unplugged the freezer because it doesn't have any sort of way to filter out moisture and had become full of really really thick ice. So we naturally wanted to clean the ice out. Unfortunately my parents never thought to take the contents of the freezer out. For most of the stuff that wasn't really an issue, pesto and tomato sauce don't exactly lead to horrible pests or molds. Unfortunately there were also a a couple of very large bags of ground meat of some sort still in the fridge. That still wouldn't have been much of a problem, but we forgot about the freezer for a little too long because it sits in the basement where we very rarely go. So basically I can never forgot that horrible stench and the hordes of maggots.

Fortunately we were able to clean the freezer out and can still use it with no mold or pest problems.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Reminds me that in the fridge should still be some cheese that was green when I left it. I wonder if it's turned blue in the meanwhile. (The fridge in the kitchen for the people that live on the same floor as me, not my own fridge :P)
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Try the anti fungals, spray generously and into cracks where you find them.

If after a week they still come back, its time to change the fridge, as its also likely the fungus might now be resistant to some anti-fungals.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Thanks guys, I'll try some of these. Hopefully the fridge can be saved.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    Thanks guys, I'll try some of these. Hopefully the fridge can be saved.
    That fridge died four weeks ago, you must let it rest in peace.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD